Start by marking “The Weaver Takes a Wife” as Want to Read:
The Weaver Takes a Wife

The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  414 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Haughty Lady Helen Radney is one of London's most beautiful women
and the daughter of a duke, but her sharp tongue has frightened away most of
her suitors. When her father gambles away his fortune, the duke's only chance
for recouping his losses lies in marrying off Lady Helen to any man wealthy
enough to take a bride with nothing to recommend her but a lovely face and an
eight
Nook, 147 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Belgrave House (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Weaver Takes a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weaver Takes a Wife

Kathy
I was very pleasantly surprised with this one, it is one of the cutest regency books I’ve read. I really enjoyed the story line and our two main characters Ethan and Helen. Helen is not too excited about her marriage to Ethan, but slowly she begins to see what a catch this non-gentleman is. At first I was not that impressed with him, I think the way he spoke really turned me off (a part of my was hoping it was just a pretending), after awhile I didn’t notice it as much and I fell for him along w ...more
Caz
This thoroughly charming Regency Romance, originally published in 1999 and now re-issued in digital formats, features a type of hero rarely found in historical romance. Mr Ethan Brundy isn’t titled, he isn’t a gentleman or a snappy dresser and while not unattractive, is no well-muscled Adonis. The one thing he does have in common with many an aristocratic hero, however, is that he’s incredibly wealthy.

The owner of a cotton mill and various other businesses in the north of England, Ethan is on a
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This was a lovely little story. Nothing at all too challenging about it and I read it straight through in a few hours. Very working class factory owner falls in love with Duke's daughter at first sight and, essentially, buys her from her Father who is in serious financial difficulties. Probably not a realistic story (for a Duke, that is) until later in the 19th century but, other than that, it felt very period appropriate.

I liked Ethan's easy confidence and the sense that none of the tons set d
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this sweet regency. It is light on character development. The author does not delve all that deeply into what the characters are feeling. The hero was particularly well done with his sense of humor hinted at by the expressions on his face. His actions were kind and his words to her were lovely. The heroine was a bit less enjoyable but it didn't take her long to come around to appreciating him.

The story line was both novel and well used. The hero here was a textile mill owner, w
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
My feelings on this are pretty much the same as that of Old Latin Teacher's review on Amazon.

Her review is here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2WQV7RV...
Isa Lavinia

Book provided by the author through Netgalley

A sweet and simple Regency romance.

Ethan Brundy, an illegitimate orphan, rose to wealth from his impoverished past in the workhouse. As soon as he sees Lady Helen at the theatre he vows she'll be his wife.
Lady Helen is on her third season, having scared all her suitors with her sharp tongue and, as fate would have it, her father's gaming debts make it crucial that she should be advantageously married. Which is how, against her will, she e
Cryssa
Apr 26, 2014 Cryssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read Regency romances because I find their descriptions all to be the same. There's always a woman who is trying to get out of a forced marriage only to do something desperate which lands her into the lap of a Duke who she's forced to marry. And the Duke usually has some bad love affair from his past that has gone wrong which makes him wary of entering a marriage other than name only. Sound familiar?
The Weaver Takes a Wife caught my eye, thanks to another reviewer, because the descripti
Cristina
Nov 13, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Lady Helen Radney is an absolute ice queen, haughty and proud and unwilling to marry anyone she doesn't deem perfect. When her family faces financial ruin she is given 2 distasteful options- marry a rich tradesman or support herself as a governess or companion. She agrees to marry the socially inept tradesman Ethan Brundy, who also happens to be one of the richest men in the land. Helen is mortified to be the wife of someone so far beneath her social station but in time she begins to see what a ...more
Eileen Dandashi
Sep 08, 2015 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review:

A man is not the clothes he wears or his manner of speech. He is an accumulation of his experiences, his intellect, and above all his concern and respect for his fellow man. Lady Helen Radney, daughter to a duke, does not want to learn anything about her newly acquired husband, Ethan Brundy. Ethan Brundy’s occupation? Weaver. Doesn’t that say it all?

This book was first published in 1999, republished last year with the audio produced at the beginning of this year. It’s satisfying
Suzanne
Ethan Brundy is a charmer!
Myrt
Jul 21, 2014 Myrt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Myrt's Review

The Weaver Takes a Wife by Sheri Cobb South

Killing Her With Kindness

Lady Helen Radney is one of the most beautiful women of the ton, her father is a duke from a long lineage, so she should be the most desirable candidate for the Marriage Mart. Unfortunately, Lady Helen has a caustic personality that would give a fishwife pause. Her haughty, unpleasant manner coupled with the fact her father has bankrupted their estate with his excessive gambling has left her with few willing suito
Jaci
May 05, 2014 Jaci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on the recommendation in the forward by Mary Balogh, who is one of my favorite authors. This is not a typical historical romance in as it is not about two protagonists from the same social enviornment. The hero is a working class man who grew up in a workhouse and eventually was sold to a mill owner. When the story opens he now owns the mill and is a very rich man. He is not handsome or refined and his taste in clothes is awful. He even speaks with a low born accent. He sees the ...more
Kate Sherwood
I really liked the fisrt part - unconventional hero, crabby heroine - yay! But it got a bit silly toward the end. I've noticed this before with other historicals - the first part is all about establishing authenticity and making me really FEEL the setting, and then the second part blows it all to hell with an unlikely adventure or whatever.

So, four stars for the first half, two stars for the second?
Tricia
Sep 08, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend Sarah recommended this book, and I'm SO GLAD she did. This book is just pure delight.

The Weaver Takes a Wife is a novel that has a Pygmalion essence to it. Ethan Brundy is a fatherless orphan who through hard work and good luck has amassed a very large fortune. His breeding makes him shunned by most of London society. But, when he spies Lady Helen Radney at the theater, he declares that she will be his wife.

A nice clean romance, easily read in one sitting. It is definitely worth tracki
Yui
Feb 18, 2015 Yui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs, regency
I was given a choice whether to like the unfashionable commoner hero early on. The words warn clearly to choose then and then whether to trust this unknown to me author and despite my favor being completely opposite of the one laid out I choose to be amused and bestow my fondness for this seemingly upstart of a hero. I'm glad I did for I was well rewarded.
To be offered this choice and clarity early on have turned the tide of endless mediocre, totally predictable and thus boring reading experien
eyes.2c
Mar 22, 2014 eyes.2c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming!

What can you do when cupid's arrow strikes and leaves you dazzled by a veritable princess (well in this case a daughter of a Duke)...and you a self made man of 'Trade', a 'cit?'
Well if your determined like Mr Ethan Bundy you forge ahead despite all. After all a cat can look at a Queen.
The love story of Lady Helen Radney and Ethan is absolutely delightful, leavened throughout with a wry humour.
'elen' as Bundy calls his wife Helen is a wilful shrew who finds her way to love.
Ethan Bundy,
Vikki Vaught
Vikki’s Musings

I received a request from the author asking me if I would be interested in reviewing the audio version of The Weaver Takes a Wife. When I saw that the book had a foreward by Mary Balogh, I immediately accepted the request in exchange for an honest review. I’m so glad I did. This is a wonderful traditional Regency.

At first I was not sure I would like Lady Helen, but her character arch is incredible. Ms. Cobb South took me from almost dislike to love by the end of the book. Lady He
Samantha
Jan 13, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful in its own way. It's not your typically romance. It's a beauty and the beast style novel, but the beast is not the Man.

At times I grew very impatient with the female character. But immediately I fell in love with the Hero. He's kind and patient and just wonderful to think about.

I don't want to put a spoiler on the book but I will say that the last quarter of the book could have lasted longer. Or perhaps a sequel..??!! Please??

It's a wonderful book to read. I enjoyed it
Sophia
May 30, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it
One of my favorite story lines in Historical Romance is that of a romance that crosses the classes of society and boy did this one ever. A wealthy mill owner with the lowest of pedigrees falls in love at first sight with the daughter of an impoverished duke. The Lady Helen despises him on sight, but this does not detour Ethan Brundy. Yep, and when the bell rings come out of your corners fighting... except that oddly dressed, quietly assertive gentle man didn't give Helen the fight she was aiming ...more
Joan
Wonderful! Delightful characters and setting. So nice to actually have a story with a look at real life (the mill etc) The only slight annoyance was Brundy's dialect, which made him sound (to my ears) far older than he actually was, though that is probably because its very much a generational thing nowadays.

The subplot with the brother was okay, but the story as it stood, with the two MCs was refreshing, humorous and delicious.
Aimee
Mar 20, 2014 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a quick, fun read. Because it was so short there is not a lot of character development or wordy descriptions of people or places, but I found that the book really did not need them. It was just a light, entertaining read about two people meeting and falling in love. In this case Ethan falls in love as soon as he sees Helen, Helen on the other hand takes some time to realize what a good man Ethan Brundy is.

What I enjoyed the most about this story was how the author took her time wi
Sheri South
Feb 05, 2015 Sheri South rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The narration of Noah Michael Levine in this audio edition is simply amazing! Mr. Levine is not British, but you would never guess it to hear him read this Regency romance. Every character has a distinctive voice, including the titular hero, the Cockney mill owner Ethan Brundy. Even the female characters are well done, which is not always the case when a male narrator attempts to create a female voice; sometimes male narrators make the mistake of trying too hard to sound feminine, and instead co ...more
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 25, 2015 Maggie Hesseling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Mary Balogh states it perfectly when she says in her introduction: "I ought not to have enjoyed it. It is considerably to the credit of Sheri Cobb South that I did very much indeed."

I don't think I've ever read such a lovely novel with such aweful characters. They're both anti-hero/heroine, which creates something of an odd read in the beginning. However, as we learn more of them and they loosen up, we begin to see not only their humanity but their likability. Not an easy feat considering how di
Ritsky
Cute, cute story, although somewhat lacking in "that" department" *LOL*
Emily Barnes
3.5/4 stars. Enjoyable though with some major flaws. Spoilers ahead.

Things I liked:

1) The novel was well researched: as far as I could tell there was nothing there that seemed glaringly out of period or place, plus there was some detail about mills and things other than the London season and balls, which was very good.

2) The characters are likeable: to start with I liked Ethan, and even Lady Helen, who was sharp-tongued and shrewish, was funny while she was all those things and so I liked her to
Boo
Light and clean romance, just how I like my Regencies novels. What I find original is that, it is not the Hero the one who has a grand title, or the heroine who has a low upbringing.

Ethan Brundy, a weaver who did not know his father and was raised by a rich trader, falls in love with Lady Helen the first moment he sees her. On the other hand, she looks at him with contempt because of this low breeding. But he has decided to marry her, and because he is rich and her father has a lot of debts, he
Bonnie
I read this book after reading a review, and I wasn't disappointed. It's not very long, and is quite entertaining. It's supposed to be in the style of the Regency romance, which I'll have to try, as I loved it. Not what we usually call a modern romance at all, but the kind with lots of hints and clever dialogue. The reviewer especially like the character of the weaver, as did I.
Anne
okay, here's the thing: i really did not like the premise of this book, in that helen was forced to marry ethan, and that he married her knowing she didn't like him but thought that he'd woo her. that put a damper on the book for me, even though i know helen's dislike was classist in nature and that she did grow to see ethan as a good-hearted, kind man. their growing relationship was sweet, though.
Stephanie Herron
Nov 09, 2015 Stephanie Herron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a hard time really enjoying most regency novels as I grew up reading Georgette Heyer and even re-reading them they are still better than most in this genre these days. However, having said that, I did enjoy this book of Sheri Cobb South. The plot was original and had some depth to it, and it was well written.
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • The Lady's Companion
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • The Primrose Path
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • Lord of Secrets
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Lady Pamela
  • In For a Penny

Weaver (3 books)
  • Brighton Honeymoon (Weaver, #2)
  • French Leave (Weaver, #3)

“Mr. Brundy," she said with a nod, making the most perfunctory of curtsies to her father's guest.
He made no move to take her hand, but merely bowed and responded in kind. "Lady 'elen."
"My name is Helen, Mr. Brundy," she said coldly.
"Very well- 'elen," said Mr. Brundy, surprised and gratified at being given permission, and on such short acquaintance, to dispense with the use of her courtesy title.”
5 likes
“If your brother can't 'old 'is own against a bunch of orphans, 'e'd best leave off playing 'azard altogether!” 5 likes