Start by marking “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  293 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For the millions of adults diagnosed with ADHD The Disorganized Mind will provide expert guidance on what they can do to make the most of their lives. The inattention, time-mismanagement, procrastination, impulsivity, distractibility, and difficulty with transitions that often go hand-in-hand with ADHD can be overcome with the unique approach that Nancy Ratey brings to tur ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Disorganized Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disorganized Mind

Lynne
While having a lot of the diagnostic and anecdotal content that is not my primary interest, I found that this book did three things that I found valuable: it explained the range of habit and emotional manifestations of ADHD well (especially for someone like me who's not had a formal diagnosis), it offered some very useful coping strategies and tools, and it communicates to the spouse or co-worker why they experience what they do. I also appreciate her inclusion of a bibliography with some refere ...more
Marion
Aug 02, 2008 Marion marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I started to read this - and it was good! - but I got sidetracked, then it was due back at the library. Guess I better borrow it again and learn how to be a bit more organized...
Sally
Aug 10, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"...Remember, [this is] a process, and the changes you seek happen not instantly, but incrementally over time, sometimes a very long time. Because ... trial and error is an inherent, and time-dependent, part of the process." p. 75

On the one hand, this is NOT what an impulsive, supernally distracted, impatient person with ADD wants to hear.

But on the other hand, quite validating that it does take great effort to manage attention quirks, and my efforts will not be in vain.

What was I saying again?

Lisa
If you think someone with ADHD writing about ADHD, aimed at an audience who have ADHD would be a colossal mess.

You would be right.

Ratey meanders from topic to topic such as she will spend a paragraph discussing how terrible her dyslexia and ADHD are and hurting her academic life, then OMG. SHE GOT INTO HARVARD! Another paragraph how she spent her entire life living with military precision but once she got into college, she would spend hours shuffling papers about preparing to study. So she went
Lisa
May 29, 2014 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, health, 2014
I read this book hoping it might be of some help for my adult son who was diagnosed with ADD as a child and is still having challenges. I can't imagine him being able to focus long enough to follow what this book is trying to say with all the meandering. I even had a hard time explaining to him what I read while watching his eyes glaze over in the middle of it.

There might be some helpful tips here but overall Ratey's system seems a bit daunting, even for me and I don't have ADHD.

What turned me o
Mike
Jan 27, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have ADHD symptoms every part of this book will help. It is a stellar example of how a person with challenges can use those challenges to be a success.
Kat Bourgeois
Jan 08, 2015 Kat Bourgeois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent for anyone who is suffering from the impact of having ADD. While I believe external coaching is the best option, it offers detailed, comprehensive advice on how to coach yourself. Advice that I really feel can make a difference. Having ADD myself I was able to see how the strategies she suggests, many of which I used, enabled me to have a successful career and raise four children. ADD is a neurological disorder. Understanding how it affects your daily behavior, focusing on ...more
Henry
Oct 04, 2009 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: add-asperger-s
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It's about learning what works best for you, finding out what helps you, and using that knowledge to help you live a full, productive life. The author makes it clear that what works for one person may not work for another, but what matters is to keep looking until you find what helps you. When I started the book, I thought it won't be that helpful to me since I already had a coach. But I quickly learned that the best coach there will ever ...more
Heather
Dec 27, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
An excellent mix of practical exercises, relatable descriptions and general inspiration. I learned so much from this book.
Katie
Feb 13, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May I just say that she has several tips that I thought were absolutely brilliant & I cannot wait to attempt to apply them. The one about driving somewhere & parking & then taking out your laptop to do work on it until the battery dies because we (people with ADD) do better under pressure was awesome.
Annette
Jun 17, 2009 Annette marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adhd
I borrowed this book from the library recently and because it is in such high demand they only gave me two weeks to read it instead of the usual three. I read the first few chapters and realized that I would need much more that two weeks to do this justice so I returned it and am planning on reading it all the way through when I am able to purchase it and can read it at my liesure.
Brandon
Jul 12, 2011 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: attention, adhd
To get the most out of this book you need to be willing to put the time and effort into doing some self-analysis to help determine what you need to work on. The book offers hundreds of tips for those with ADHD that have been proven to work. The author is a successful ADHD coach who has used her experience with clients to offer many suggestions to fit what works with your brain.
Jason Verwey
Mar 23, 2011 Jason Verwey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, easy read. Lots of practical tips for everyone (ADHD or not) for organizing your life and structuring your environment according to your strengths and weaknesses. Also a lot of good info on ADHD coaching, which isn't a topic normally covered in these types of books. I would definitely recommended this to anyone looking to improve their day-to-day living situation.
Peter Stern
Oct 30, 2015 Peter Stern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few, if not only, book that I followed the recipe without reading all the way through... But this time it worked! I did a chapter a day, kept the journal, and now I am in a better place with partnership, structure and accountability. Yay me... Thanks, book!
Andrew
Jan 13, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: Stepping out of Squalor
Self-help book for addressing ADD or ADHD-like symptoms.
Maya
May 21, 2015 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, psychology
A decent guide to dealing with the superficial (logistical) aspects of ADHD, but if you have cause to be reading this book, you really need to read "Scattered Minds" by Dr. Gabor Mate. ADHD has an environmental cause and it can be cured, even in adults.
Patti
Jun 26, 2008 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adhd
This is a very good self-help book for people with ADD. It needs to be re-read from time to time. One problem with the book is that some of her solutions require to hire out to get some of your work done. Not in my budget. Otherwise, excellent
Ann Oliveri
Nov 05, 2012 Ann Oliveri rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for all coaches and anyone struggling to live with distraction. Nancy Ratey lays out her proven approach and gives us all the A.N.S.W.E.R.

Brilliant.
Susan
Jun 20, 2011 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Many reviews on Goodreads are positive for this one, making me think that Ratey’s just not my kind of author. I found her writing style too touchy-feely and meandering.
Daniele
Jan 31, 2010 Daniele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with ADHD
though i'm still reading it, i've learned SO much...i have so many pages of notes. it's a fabulous resource for learning how to use your ADHD for good! ;-)
Lynn
Jan 03, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most helpful book on ADHD that I have ever read. Will have to re-read regularly to imprint many of the good ideas.
Rod Knowlton
Jan 09, 2011 Rod Knowlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
Good read. Lots of potential strategies, plus heavy does of reality regarding the hard work and commitment it takes to follow them.
Lisa J
Dec 08, 2015 Lisa J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-toss, therapy, gave-up
Started to work through the questions but they got me depressed so I don't think this book is for me.
Jennavier
Jul 23, 2014 Jennavier marked it as read-sample-and-passed  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed The Disorganized Mind and while it was interesting, it wasn't right for me at this time.
Cfxkennedy
Oct 25, 2012 Cfxkennedy rated it liked it
What you think is common sense to you is not to others. Very eye opening.
Dorothy
Mar 21, 2013 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best ADD book ever!
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Julio Bonilla
Julio Bonilla marked it as to-read
Sarah Bayless
Sarah Bayless marked it as to-read
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-its
  • What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don't?: Social Skills Help for Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
  • Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken!
  • The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD: An 8-Step Program for Strengthening Attention, Managing Emotions, and Achieving Your Goals
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
Nancy A. Ratey is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities on personal and professional coaching for adults with and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Having dyslexia and ADHD herself, Ms. Ratey engineered her own road to success. Ms. Ratey often collaborates with her husband, Dr. John Ratey, M.D., a world-renowned researcher and neuro-psychiatrist, and the accl ...more
More about Nancy A. Ratey...