Start by marking “Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America” as Want to Read:
Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America

Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  17 reviews
For years, scientists and researchers have studied, speculated about, and searched for an enigmatic creature that is legendary in the annals of American folklore. Now, learn the truth about...
BIGFOOT!
In this fascinating and comprehensive look at the fact, fiction, and fable of the North American "Sasquatch," award-winning author Loren Coleman takes readers on a journey
Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bigfoot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bigfoot!

Andy
This is one of two essential books for anyone interested in the subject of Bigfoot; the other is "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science" by Dr. Jeff Meldrum. Meldrum's book lays out the scientific evidence for the plausibility of an unknown bipedal primate in North America, while Coleman's book is focused more on the surprising long history of eyewitness accounts in North America, and also offers up a concise history of the investigation of sightings in North America throughout the 20th century.

I stro
Cecil Lawson
This revised version of cryptozoologist Loren Coleman's classic is a good introduction to anyone interested in learning more about those mysterious, seven foot tall human-like creatures that seem to haunt remote mountains and woods as well as our imaginations. Coleman, a major researcher in the field, has compiled a thorough guide to the major Bigfoot sightings and signs that have come to define the field of Bigfoot research. I picked it up once again to refresh my own interest and did not find ...more
Michael
Very good. Even though he is clearly a believer.. his book is non-biased and he covers the pros and cons with equal enthusiasm. This is very well studied subject on Loren's part and he does an excellent job at separating fact from fiction from could be either. Definitely a very good read. If you believe in Bigfoot or not, you should find this book interesting.
Nathan Hermecz
this is a pretty engaging account of the (possible) creature's past and likely present. each copy does not come with a sample of irrefutable sasquatch dna, just lots of interesting anecdotes and observations compiled by an individual who is very, very involved in this field.
Christopher Obert
This is the best Bigfoot book I have ever read. It was well written and it talks to you with intelligence and common sense. The book is well organized and gives you the information and asks you to make up your own mind. The book gives you the history behind Bigfoot and tells many stories on the sightings. It tells the story of hoaxes and con men, and research and scientists. The book has some black and white photos to supplement the text, but a few more photos would have been better. Still, the ...more
Orpheus
Always enjoy him on Coast to Coast AM

An entertaining speaker & writer
Bruce
This should be titled "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Bigfoot but Were Afraid to Ask." Loren Coleman takes you on a sprawling history of Bigfoot in North America and in the end you may just start to believe that a large primate could actually be living among us. Well written and informative if you just have a passing interest in Bigfoot or if you are a firm believer this book will be well worth your time.
Loren Toddy
A surprisingly engaging book about the "big fella". I had no idea that there was so much to say and read about when it came to bigfoot. It also does not come off as hokey or hard to believe as you might guess. I liked reading this book.
Skye
Really deep history with inspiring lists of films and books to seek out. Easy and fun to read and digest. Wish they're was anything on the Sierra Sounds Bigfoot recordings but oh well. Recommended and want to read again.
Complete, concise overview of the major BF reports. Keep in mind it's not necessarily a skeptical book, but engaging, comprehensive, and well written. Perfect introduction for anyone new to the topic.
Denise
I liked this book a lot. The stories were great and that's mostly why I purchased the book. It's hard finding literature about bigfoot. He provides a nice moderation of the legend of bigfoot.
Angie Reyes
A very interesting read. I enjoyed the history and the author's reflection. Am I a believer that they exist? No idea. But now I can contemplate the possibility.
Richard Mellinger
As far as books about Bigfoot go, this one gave a very solid and entertaining overview of the history of the colorful and interesting culture.
Catherine
Not as scientific as Meldrum's book, but interesting. I enjoyed the history and mythological aspects of this study.
Tea Krulos
A must read book for anyone interested in the history and highlights of Bigfooting.
Madman!!
Can one person know too much about our sasquatch friends? NEVER!!!
Daniel Reidmiller
Another good one from Loren.
Samya
Samya marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Susan Yeomans
Susan Yeomans marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
ShellyAnn1A
ShellyAnn1A is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2015
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
H.T.Meaney
H.T.Meaney marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
ERIC Buyer
ERIC Buyer marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jan Carlo
Jan Carlo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • Freaks of Nature: What Anomalies Tell Us about Development and Evolution
  • Criminology For Dummies
  • Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings
  • Here Be Dragons: How the Study of Animal and Plant Distributions Revolutionized Our Views of Life and Earth
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
  • The Complete Books
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
  • Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
  • The Naming of Names
  • The World's Last Mysteries
  • My Quest for the Yeti: Confronting the Himalayas' Deepest Mystery
  • An Obsession With Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair With A Singular Insect
  • Mysterious Creatures (Mysteries of the Unknown)
Loren Coleman is one of the world's leading cryptozoologists. An honorary member of the British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club, and several other international organizations, he is also a Life Member of the International Society of Cryptozoology. Starting his fieldwork and investigations in 1960, after traveling and trekking extensively in pursue of cryptozoological mysteries, Coleman bega ...more
More about Loren Coleman...
Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures The Field Guide to Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents, and Other Mystery Denizens of the Deep Mothman and Other Curious Encounters The Field Guide to Bigfoot and Other Mystery Primates The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in Tomorrow's Headlines