Start by marking “The Truth About Psychics: What's Real, What's Not, and How to Tell the Difference” as Want to Read:

HOW DO PSYCHIC ABILITIES WORK . . . AND HOW CAN YOU TELL IF THEY’RE REAL?

Celebrity psychic and #1 New York Times bestselling author Sylvia Browne takes a fascinating look into the history of psychics dating from biblical times as she reveals the truth about spiritual phenomena like witches, talking boards, angels, astral projection, and more. Did you know . . .

• If someo
Published December 1st 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Psychics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Psychics

Kirsty
Aug 24, 2011 Kirsty rated it did not like it
I picked up this book in my local library, where its title "The Truth About Psychics" intrigued me. I became even more curious when I realised that the book was written by a self-proclaimed psychic, who promised to arm readers with the tools to enable them to spot a fraud. Faced with this tantalising prospect, I promptly took the book out on loan.

The book begins with a long section on how Sylvia Browne allegedly discovered her psychic abilities. There's lots of talk of spirit guides and psychic
Mary Miller
Jun 01, 2014 Mary Miller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that focuses on what the title lists as what the book is about, I would suggest skipping this one. I have read a few of Sylvia's books having met her years ago in San Jose at a psychic fair she and I were attending (as well as working). Living in the bay area and working in the same type of business, afforded me a chance to talk with her. This book is quite a bit of rehash of her other books, spending a great deal of the book talking about her upbringing, her spirit ...more
Julie
Mar 09, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. I picked it up off a random shelf at the library while I was killing 10 minutes of time before I had to pick up Alex from band rehearsals. I didn't intend to check it out, but was interested by her history of mediums, including the Fox sisters, Houdini (not a medium, although he pretended to give psychic readings early in his career, and spent the later part of his career debunking seances), and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (yes, that Arthur Conan Doyle.)

So, long story short, I c
Sheila
Jun 27, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that some of the information she wrote in this book is a repeat from another book of hers I read, however she does give information concerning how to tell a fraud from the real thing as far as psychics are concerned and I feel that is definitely valuable information to have. As far as the rest of it, it is interesting when she talks about some of her own experiences she's had, and how to meditate, how to try to heal yourself with past-life regression therapy, etc. My rating is what it i ...more
Shannon Renee
I must admit, there is nothing better than watching Montel when Sylvia Brown is on. And I mean nothing...except maybe swamp people. Still the woman is something. Very fascinating. I picled up this book at the library and said...sure. I was sorta impressed to learn about her. Who knew she actually had some collegiate education? A really good read if you want to learn more about the history of supernatural things and people (and also the frauds).
Rebecca
Apr 06, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I love every book Sylvia writes. This one she talked about the history of different religions and different psychics throughout history but didn't really give much of an opinion on them as she normally does. The last two chapters on the book focused on how to detect frauds and different meditations you can do to tap into your own psychic abilities.
Annie Thornton
Dec 14, 2015 Annie Thornton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I love everything I've read by Sylvia Browne so far. Her books have actually inspired me to try some meditations and I've been amazed with what they've shown me! I also love how what she writes makes me feel excited to finish this life and 'return Home'.
Stefanie
Yep, I read it. Sylvia's books are comfort food at stressful times in my life. There's nothing new here, but it's interesting, and I enjoy her voice. I always come away with something to think about, even if I am not entirely on board with all she says.
Red Morgan
Sep 25, 2011 Red Morgan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly ridiculous, and poorly written.
Margy
Jan 27, 2011 Margy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone ready to explore a spiritual path
What can I say...I love Sylvia Browne!!
Diana
Jan 18, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A brief overview of psychics and spiritualism.
Whoot_whoot
Maybe this book would be suitable for people who have never heard or read anything related to the subject. Seemed more like regurgitated information, nothing I hadn't read before.
Ariana
Mar 07, 2012 Ariana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, occult
While I don't agree with everything she believes, the book was verry interesting and the astral projection bits in particular were informative and helpful.
Susan
Mar 04, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book; has a few things that I am going to try out; like the meditation. Very informative; has a few book recommendations that I'm going to follow up on....
Destiny
Aug 06, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very good and i like how it had info about all religons and connects them together. Her writing is seamless and upbeat.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have always been fascinated by metaphysical things, and I found this to be a very quick and interesting read.
V.M. Lopez
Nov 24, 2012 V.M. Lopez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting! Thorough descriptions of the different beliefs around the world and of what it really means to be a psychic.
Pat
Sep 12, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated. I choose to say no more because I am tired of being scorned. I will keep my beliefs and my experiences to myself.
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Sylvia's books, this one is a quick read with thoughtful, comforting information. Enjoyable.
Willow
Willow rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Tashj
Tashj rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Kerrie Waters
Kerrie Waters rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2010
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Candice
Candice rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Le
Le rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Lena Spoz
Lena Spoz rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
  • Realms of the Earth Angels: More Information for Incarnated Angels, Elementals, Wizards, and Other Lightworkers
  • Spirits of New Orleans: Voodoo Curses, Vampire Legends and Cities of the Dead
  • 2150 A.D.
  • How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
  • Walking Home: A Pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed
  • Aura Reading for Beginners: Develop Your Psychic Awareness for Health & Success
  • Ronnie and Nancy: Their Path to the White House--1911 to 1980
  • Quantum Physics of Quantum Healing
  • The Urban Pagan: Magical Living in a 9-To-5 World
  • The Weiser Field Guide to Witches: From Hexes to Hermione Granger, from Salem to the Land of Oz
  • Mansions of the Moon for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Lunar Magic
  • Color Magick (Closed): Unleash Your Inner Powers
  • The Witch's Coin: Prosperity and Money Magick
  • The Ancient Art of Faery Magick
  • Whispers of the Moon: The Life and Work of Scott Cunningham
  • The Mom & Pop Store: True Stories from the Heart of America
  • Dreaming the Divine: Techniques for Sacred Sleep
Sylvia Browne was a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and made countless other media and public appearances. She was the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus.
More about Sylvia Browne...