Start by marking “Guillermo Tell” as Want to Read:
Guillermo Tell

Guillermo Tell

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,878 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Schiller verwebt drei Handlungsstränge: Im Mittelpunkt steht die Sage von Wilhelm Tell mit dem Apfelschuss und der Befreiung vom Tyrannen Gessler als einem Akt von Notwehr. Der geschichtliche Hintergrund wird durch die Handlung um den eidgenössischen Bund und der Befreiung der Schweiz gebildet. Die dritte Handlung wird durch die Liebesgeschichte der Berta von Bruneck mit U ...more
Published 2007 by Cangrejo Editores (first published 1804)

To ask other readers questions about Guillermo Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guillermo Tell

Warwick
Sep 04, 2014 Warwick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, switzerland

I learnt to read thanks to a fortnightly magazine called Story Teller that was around in the early 80s – it was one of those publications that came with a cassette taped to the front cover, on which various celebrities of the day could be heard reading out fairytales and children's stories, while you read along in the lavishly-illustrated magazine. Frankly, every child deserves to grow up listening to Brian Blessed bellow out The Elves and the Shoemaker, or Joanna Lumley politely explain Gullive
Andrei Tamaş
Mar 29, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friedrich Schiller, a doua cea mai proeminentă figură a romantismului german (şi european, căci nemţii au deţinut controlul), după Goethe, a reuşit -prin "Wilhelm Tell"- să creeze una dintre cele mai grăitoare drame istorice ce au ca tematică libertatea. Fiind inspirată din istoria Evului Mediu precoce, cea din urmă lucrare a lui Schiller prezintă lupta pentru libertate a şviţerilor, împotriva despotismului feudal.
Acţiunea dramei este plasată în secolul XIV.
Vocea autorului este întru totul just
Castpe
Mar 22, 2016 Castpe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is the second book by Schiller that I’ve ever read and I can’t stop loving it. Even though my experience is not enough (there’s still some books by him that I must read) I can perfectly see some differences between the first one he published (Die Räuber, coinciding on being my first lecture of German literature) and this one, the last book he wrote. You can clearly identify his improvement in his narration of the set and the plot. The book has a lot more characters (which in my case mad ...more
Elif
Sep 30, 2013 Elif rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Es sind ein paar schöne Zitate dabei und das Werk beinhaltet eine gute Botschaft, aber sonst fand ich es nicht gelungen. Charakter-Overload.
Greg
Jan 27, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people have heard of Wilhelm Tell, and the shooting of an apple off of a head. I had not really heard the full story of Schiller’s play. It seems odd that so few lines would be included for the title character, but this is not a play about Wilhelm Tell. He is an obscure Swiss hunter, who lives under the government of the tyrant Gessler. Gessler fills the jails with the peasantry, and his abuse finally spills over into rebellion. Tell does not seem to seek a lead role, rather promising suppo ...more
James
Physical freedom and liberty of the soul are central ideas of Schiller’s literature. In his very first play The Robbers (1781), Schiller spoke of the ideas of liberty. His famous play Wilhelm Tell, on which Rossini’s famous opera is based, was also a tribute to freedom. The Romantic influence is apparent in Wilhelm Tell: “The mountain cannot frighten one who was born on it.” Indeed, this play was also a tribute to men living close to nature—the Romantic ideal of the harmony between nature and ma ...more
Dorottya
Sep 11, 2015 Dorottya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I was really interested in this drama, because 1) I promised myself to read more dramas, and I found this one in our collection, 2) I've always been intrigued by the whole William Tell legend, because it is a main part of our national deck cards in Hungary, but I knew little about it (only the apple scene)

I really liked this drama. What I liked most is that it was just not a mere historical tableaux/costume drama only showing the great deeds and happenings, but it was also really lyrical, dramat
Keith
Apr 24, 2012 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
William Tell is an odd piece of drama and propaganda. I have to admit to being quite disappointed. The work did not live up to the hype that preceded it. The poetry, in particular, was rather plain and many of the scenes wooden and preachy. Granted, the publisher of the book described the translation (by Theodore Martin) as “good but not great.” (I wish I had read that before buying the book.) So the problem might have been there.

The introduction written by Thomas Carlyle is an absurd homage to
Dani
Nov 22, 2015 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another romantic story by Schiller: But I liked this one the best, maybe because I am keen to believe that the people of Schwyz must have been brave and freedom-loving to build their contemporary country as it is today. It continues serving as an example of democratic values and anti-authoritarian style of politics. Have you ever heard of a famous Swiss politician?
Jan-Maat
The staging requirements for this play, compared with others by Schiller are ambitious. The rejection of the inherited power of the nobility shown here overthrown and dying out is striking in a world where this had happened in France but was resolutely resisted in the German lands.
Ft. Sheridan
May 13, 2009 Ft. Sheridan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Switzerland!
inga
The school I attend is named after Schiller and their emblem is the infamous apple, which is why every class has to read Willhelm Tell sooner or later.
I read it when I was in 8th grade and it's pretty boring. I don't give a rat's ass about Switzerland and their independence. Willhelm Tell is, in my opinion, rather vain and is prone to boasting. I remember looking forward to the scene in which he shoots the apple that sits on top of his son's head, but it was as disappointing and unspectacular a
Home Ice-bloxx
Nov 13, 2012 Home Ice-bloxx rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt
1. Aufzug- Baumgartens Rettung durch Tell
In der Schweiz. Es gibt einen gemeinen Landvogt, Wolfenschießen sein Name. Dieser dringt “mit unverhohlener Lust” in Baumgartens Hütte und will gerade seine Frau zwingen, ihm ein Bad zu machen, da kommt Baumgarten mit der Axt und köpft ihn.
Nun muss Baumgarten von Wolfenschießens Gefolge fliehen und rennt zu Landleuten an

den See, doch ein Sturm zieht auf und niemand traut sich ihn auf die andere Seite zu bringen. Tell, der Held kommt und fährt ihm he
Jada
Oct 30, 2012 Jada rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt
1. Aufzug- Baumgartens Rettung durch Tell

Cameron
Mar 07, 2016 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is idyllic and the dialogue is powerful at times. The language isn't archaic, at least in this translation, which helped me follow the dialogue and make it a pleasure to read once I got into things. The plot is of a small group of regions trying to get their independence back. But the means they use are wisely cognizant of the horrors and failures of the violence of the french revolution (the drama was published in 1804).
Ryan
Dec 01, 2015 Ryan added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Rizal translated Schiller's final play on 1886, a year before Noli Me Tangere was published in Berlin. Hence, it came to be that the first great Philippine novel was written in Spanish, printed in Germany, and partly influenced by a Swiss dramatist. Rizal was a polymath of languages. From German, he translated Wilhelm Tell into Tagalog. The recent version printed by the National Historical Commission modernized Rizal's Tagalog into contemporary Filipino.

The translation was published in the Phili
Akila
Jan 08, 2016 Akila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1800
Would I read this again?? Probably not!! Drama I love, draggy I don’t. I know people who like it will probably hate this review but its more of a personal review so yea I am happy I read it and done with it, but this wont be on my to read again list!!

Czarny Pies
Oct 20, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Romantic movement.
Recommended to Czarny by: My parents
Shelves: german-lit
Wilhelm Tell is the greatest play of the revolutionary era. Its message is very simple. Men have a right to choose who governs them and to live in a country of their own creation.

The pertinence of this play appears not to have diminished a whit since it was first performed in 1804.

Gijs Grob
Spannend toneelstuk over de bevrijding van Zwitserland, waarin de legendarische figuur Wilhelm Tell een sleutelrol vervult, doch geenszins de hoofdrol speelt.

Schillers stuk is levendig en vol drama geschreven en het is soms moeilijk voor te stellen hoe dit live op het toneel gebracht kan worden. Zijn karakters zijn veel minder uitgewerkt: het betreft veelal nobele lieden die het centrale idee van vrijheid nastreven, een in de nasleep van de Franse revolutie zeer actueel thema. Het is dan ook, na
Greg McConeghy
Aug 01, 2014 Greg McConeghy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translation by Theodore Martin, Introduction essay by Thomas Carlyle, Illustrated by Rafaello Busoni.
Ahmed
ارفع جبينك الفاجر ايها الطغيان و تخل عن كل احتشام وحياء , ان فم الحقيقة صامت و العين التي كانت تبصر صارت عمياء و الذراع كانت ستنقذ قيدت بالاغلال

هذة كانت طبيعة الحوار في هذة المسرحية المرهقة في قرائتها و التي تتألف من 54 شخصية "رقم قياسي لم اقابلة من قبل - تذكرت مع هذا الكم الهائل من الشخصيات صمويل بيكيت و مسرحية الشريط الاخير - شخصية واحدة - او مسرحيته الايام السعيدة - شخصيتان-"
المسرحية في مجملها جيدة و تتناسب مع المناخ الثوري العام الذي نعيشة الان و اعجبني فيها الكثير من الجمل و الحوارات علي غر
Nikolin Kote
lufta per liri gjithmone do triumfoje ne hovet e njerezve qe e kerkojne ate
Leseratte
Jun 23, 2015 Leseratte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem ich von Kabale und Liebe, das mir vorkam wie ein schlechteres Romeo und Julia, zwar unterhalten, aber nicht begeistert wurde, habe ich es jetzt mit Wilhelm Tell probiert. Und dann passierte etwas, das ich nicht ganz erwartet hatte: von der ersten Szene an war ich vom Wilhelm Tell völlig begeistert. Es ist ein sehr spannendes Drama mit großartigen Dialogen.
Kabale und Liebe fand ich etwas anstrengend zu lesen, auch das ist bei Wilhelm Tell anders, mir hat die Sprache sehr gut gefallen.
Ein
علی
Oct 22, 2007 علی rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, classics
ویلیام تل (به آلمانی ویلهم تل)، 1804، افسانه ای ست کهنه از یک قهرمان سوئیسی علیه استعمار امپراطوری هابسبورگ ها (اطریش و مجارستان) در قرن چهاردهم میلادی. ویلیام تل در تیراندازی شهره است. هنگام گرفتاری به او پیشنهاد می شود سیبی را روی سر فرزندش، از فاصله ی صد یاردی هدف قرار دهد، تا آزاد شود، در غیر این صورت سرش بر باد خواهد رفت. ویلیام در رها کردن تیر، تردید دارد در حالی که فرزندش او را تشویق می کند؛ می دانم مرا با تیر نخواهی زد...
این نمایش نامه ی مشهور شیللر توسط محمدعلی جمالزاده به فارسی ترجمه
Delfna
Mar 07, 2016 Delfna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kann ich eig gar nicht so gut bewerten :D
Kathrin
Jan 30, 2016 Kathrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen...
Ditsch42
Feb 27, 2015 Ditsch42 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did I never read this? As the title character shares my surname, I have heard a lot about his story, I even practiced with a toy crossbow as a child, but I never knew the whole story.
Wilhelm Tell is a truly badass character. He doesn't talk a lot, but he always knows what to do. So cool!
Morgan
Jun 04, 2014 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read the Francis Lamport translation.)
Florea Joana
Easy to read and quite nice
Jonathan
Nov 29, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot of cognitive dissonance today in reading the story of a struggle for freedom on the part of petty lords and minor landholders, who maintain households of bondsmen and shepherds. (If only the Tea Party called themselves the Tell Party, and gave us back our heritage). Oh well. The cruel oppressions of the Austrian monarchy are justifiably memorable (spoiler: Tell has to shoot an apple off his brave lad's head . . . or else they die) and the set pieces work. I can see how this would b ...more
  • Minna von Barnhelm
  • Bahnwärter Thiel
  • Biedermann und die Brandstifter
  • The Visit
  • Der Hauptmann von Köpenick
Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (November 10, 1759 – May 9, 1805) was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and dramatist. During the last few years of his life (1788–1805), Schiller struck up a productive, if complicated, friendship with already famous and influential Johann Wolfgang Goethe, with whom he greatly discussed issues concerning aesthetics, encouraging Goethe to finish works h ...more
More about Friedrich Schiller...

“We shall be free, just as our fathers were.” 72 likes
“The man of courage thinks not of himself. Help the oppressed and put thy trust in God.” 5 likes