Start by marking “Race To The End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole” as Want to Read:
Race To The End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole

Race To The End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In connection with the world-famous American Museum of Natural History: the gripping true story of the race to the South Pole

A beautifully told, impeccably researched, and stunningly illustrated account of the arduous quest for social advancement, scientific knowledge, recognition, and pride.

A century ago, England's Robert Falcon Scott and Norway’s Roald Amundsen— two expl
Published May 4th 2010 by Sterling Innovation (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Race To The End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race To The End

Lushbug

This book is a fantastic, lovingly illustrated retelling of the 1911 nimrod expedition to the South Pole that ended in tragedy. The book is in written in conjunction of the Natural History museums exhibition on the subject (can't wait to see it).

Whilst I will never fully understand why people feel the need put their life at risk just to be the first to plant a flag I can't help but admire sheer determination and bravery in the face of adversity. The Antarctic is an unforgiving place and in1911
Lee
This book is beautifully illustrated. As it states in the preface, it was written to accompany the American Museum of Natural History's new Antarctic exhibit. I borrowed it from my local library just to enjoy the photos of artifacts from the Scott and Amundsen expeditions. There are also great photos from the expeditions themselves.

I will confess that I returned the book before I read the main text, although I found the extensive captions on the photos themselves informative.
Jeanne Larson
This book was interestingly written. I don't usually find myself pulled along by documentary style reading, but this author included anecdotes and enough intrigue and backstory to make it a good read. Illustrations were helpful too. I'd recommend it, both from an historical and entertainment point of view.
S.P.
Not a comprehensive narrative, but a reasonably detailed, well-executed summary of the “race,” with many fascinating photographs and maps that do not appear in other published accounts. A quick, worthwhile read.
Jeff
Excellent account of these two expeditions. The text, maps, and photos do a solid job of explaining the harsh incredibly difficult conditions these explorers had to endure.
Hardeep
Excellent photography, not quite the same caliber as that of Shackletons expedition, but still quite amazing. Good read.
Scott
One of the best exploration books I have read! Superb pictures and historical insight too!
Angela Wade
The only thing missing was the diaries.
Trace
Beautiful illustrations and text
Sue Schoening
Sue Schoening marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Aj Nel
Aj Nel marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Shawn Chen
Shawn Chen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Brian Wenink
Brian Wenink marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Pessimist Prime
Pessimist Prime marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kaitlyn Ray
Kaitlyn Ray marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Scott Altes
Scott Altes marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Laura Jane
Laura Jane marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ksomervell
Ksomervell marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Emilio Javier
Emilio Javier marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014