Start by marking “Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology

Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Featuring the work of more than 28 writers from upwards of 20 countries, Words Without Borders: The World through the Eyes of Writers transports us to the frontiers of the new literature for the twenty-first century.

In these pages, some of the most accomplished writers in world literature–among them Edwidge Danticat, Ha Jin, Cynthia Ozick, Javier Marias, and Nobel laureate
Published December 10th 2008 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Words Without Borders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Without Borders

David
Words Without Borders: The world through the eyes of writers is less a collection of short stories and more a marvelous and inspirational entryway into the universe of global literature. The name, however, is somewhat (and I assume unintentionally) ironic as so many of the stories are grounded in nationalism - either with pride or with, as Horacio Castellanos Moya titles his story, revulsion. In fact, the dynamic between nationalism and global literature is touched on by Pramoedya Ananta Toer i ...more
Amy
This anthology is an unusual collection of writing that contains poetry as well as excerpts of literary fiction. What makes it different from other anthologies is that each section is introduced by another author/writer who explains why they selected it for inclusion and how they were affected by it. All 28 of the sections have never before been published in English, and the contributors are diverse and eclectic. Produced by Words Without Borders, it continues their mission of shining light on t ...more
Phil
Words Without Borders purports to show the world through the eyes of authors around the globe. In this way, the conceit is formed that the human condition is universal, while also highlighting the various idiosyncrasies of each time and place. I think that both goals were achieved, to a certain extent, but sometimes the surreal, or often downright bizzare nature of the writing (that seemed commonplace throughout the collected works) tended to choke out the overall appeal of any particular piece. ...more
Holmes
Dozens of famous writers and editors recommending the very best of works from all around the world - it can't go wrong. So when I find myself not exactly enjoying this book, I guess the problem is me. I'm just not the literary type after all. I was tempted to abandon it half way, but I persisted. Then fate had it that I was stranded with nothing but the book in McDonald's for two hours, so I took a really deep breath and wolfed down the last ten or so stories, and I choked on one - it was a litt ...more
lia
Whew, it took me forever to read this. Words Without Borders is a project of Bard College, and this collection culls some famous and/or respected writers to pick a writer and story or excerpt from an author from a particular part of the world. It arranged in a sequential way--you travel through certain parts of the world as they come. The intros to each story are written by the reccomender, and were often as interesting or beautiful as the stories themselves. I didn't read all of them, I had to ...more
Kate
This book is great and I think more people should read it. It's nice to expose yourself to literature outside of your own country and outside of your own language.
Christina
The only thing that the stories in this anthology have in common is that this is the first time they have been translated into English. My favorite story was "Faint Hints of Tranquility" by the Palestinian author Adania Shibli. I found this story of impotent love, rage and sadness very moving. You can find text of the story at http://magazines.documenta.de/fronten... -- however, all the stories in the anthology are worth reading, so I would recommend that you pick up a copy of the book to add to ...more
Rochelle
I absolutely loved some of the stories in this book. They were smart, funny, shocking and fresh. However, many of the stories in this collection totally fell flat-- they were simply tedious interludes before the next great story. It is hard to say whether this is because of the translations or not. This is one of the most uneven collections i have ever read-- a dizzying (sometimes delightfully so, sometimes painfully so) trip around the world.
Leslita
This book is one to read slowly. The works are translated into English from their original languages, but amounts of the perspective of the authors come through the transition. The works and words have remarkable detail that connects the world in surprising places and characters. These are not big name writers. But real writers. Worth a trip to the library for this one.
Jenny
I didn't finish this, and I probably won't, despite usually feeling compelled to end a book once I start it. My to-read pile is huge, and full of things I will probably find more engaging. The first few stories are fine, but didn't exactly grab my attention. I'm not sure if that's due to a cultural divide, or simply a distaste for bizarre modern short stories on my part.
Elisabeth Jansen
Really good collection that introduced me to a talented and diverse pool of contemporary world writers. Though I didn't love everything (a good thing), I appreciate the scope. There's a bit of everything for anyone who appreciates writing, and it's a great introduction to the different styles and subject matter of various world regions.
Amanda
there are some great short stories in here; but most of the stories were tough for me to get into. If you really enjoy reading other styles of story telling from around the world, pick this up from the library, and just be prepared to skim a couple stories. Course, then again, maybe you ll like it better than i did.
Franky
It took me awhile to read this book. I really enjoyed the stories at the beginning. I was in the middle of relocating through the middle stories and then was able to really enjoy the last stories in the book. I also liked being able to read about the translator, recommender and author of each story. It was great!
Robleywelliver
Jun 27, 2008 Robleywelliver is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are reading this in my Intro to Literature course and it is spectacular. Wonderful short stories, many of which have never been translated into English before. The authors are spectacular and the text provides insights into the experiences of residents of the rest of the world.
arafat
Excellent anthology of translated writings from across the world. Each piece comes with a good introduction by a famous writer of the same respective tradition. I picked it up at the library, but am now tempted to buy/own it!
Lisa
i <3 anthologies for finding new writers, and this was a pretty good one. words without borders generally seems like a cool .org, and the online magazine is pretty good too... and free!
Margaret
As with any anthology I liked some more than others. Still, a very interesting premise for creating an anthology and you are guaranteed to find a few new writers you want to look into.
Kate
Oct 18, 2010 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vagabonds, itinerants
Recommended to Kate by: PN6019 .W67 2007
Shelves: short-stories
The petals, then, have fallen from the almond trees before I had a chance to touch them.

Again, this world that promised to be eternal has disappeared.
Recs
mmm. i don't know if a lot was lost in the translation of these stories. i didn't read all of them. just wasn't really into it.
Dave
So far it's been hit and miss, but more hits than misses. The Iraqi and Indonesian authors have been highlights.
John
Stories Read:
"Light Weight Champ" - Juan Villoro
"The Sheika's Condition" - Mario Bellatin
Lisa
Picked this up during one of the PEN lecture series earlier in 2007. Great short stories!
Julia
didn't finish this, but it was nice. some disturbing stories, some entertaining.
Abraham
Too many tastes, not enough of a meal.... I couldn't finish this...
Charlane Brady
Hope to read by the end of the year (09).
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jehan
Jehan marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Les
Les marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • O Cobrador
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • Karaoke Culture
Literature from the "Axis of Evil": Writing from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Other Enemy Nations Francis Ford Coppola's Zoetrope: All-Story 2 Texas: The Great Theft Literature from the 'Axis of Evil': Writing from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Other Enemy Nations