Goddesses in Older Women: Archetypes in Women Over Fifty

Goddesses in Older Women: Archetypes in Women Over Fifty

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Knowing which archtetypes are stirring and strong in you will help you to come into your own third phase with additional consciousness," says Jean Shinoda Bolen.

When Bolen's earlier book Goddesses in Everywoman was first published, it became a surprise bestseller and an unexpected star in the women's spirituality movement. Bolen viewed archetypal patterns from a Jungian-

Published March 4th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 6th 2001)

Stef Rozitis
What was I thinking reading this book? It was a bit disappointing and reductive actually I felt. For all that is celebrated women and "womanliness" and had some areas of comfort, normalizing the aging process it still very much had a heteronormative outlook (hard to avoid I suppose living in a hetero-patriarchy where all the goddess traditions stem from patriarchal systems of belief).

There was an "and lesbians" acknowledgement from time to time or a refusal to name the gender of the romantic "ot...more
Rose
Would recommend reading "Goddesses in Everywoman" first to understand the premise and how the archetype plays out over the lifespan before reading "Goddesses in Older Women". The insights rang true, as do the inner conflicts described. At 47 and perimenopausal, I am ready to embrace being a juicy crone! Loved what she had to say about womens' circles and transformation.
Helynne
Jean Shinoda Bolen is a scholar of the sacred feminine or the traditions of goddesses in ancient religion. This is a fascinating and enlightening study of how sacred feminine figures virtually all disappeared from religions centuries ago. Why? Because certain dominant--and patriarchal-- societies of the day demanded that all figures of deity become male. Bolen quotes Merlin Stone in When God was a Woman: "Why is it continually inferred that the age of 'pagan religions,' the time of worship of f...more
Jean
I was amazed at this book. It was about the menopausal years, but filled with advice about growing older with grace and wisdom. Jean Shinoda Bolen is a Jungian anaylist, and gave many tips for what she called "the third act" of life for women, now that their childbearing years and family duties have diminished, leaving them more time to pursue interests. She describes lives of many women we will recognize, and some that are ourselves. I think she is a wonderful author, and highly recommend this...more
Mimi Bear
Again with the detail on the goddesses of mythology. Women entering menopause and empty next years will love the core of the book but getting to that core requires effort.
All the detail of archetypes was not necessary for the message here.
The core message is good and perhaps her newer books cut out the exhaustive detail. At least I hope.
Bev Siddons
For those of us post-50, this book is a reminder that with age comes wisdom--collective wisdom from the pre-patriarchal goddesses. Our country needs to think about honoring the aged, male or female, not just worshipping the young. People gain wisdom through their experiences, and I think women are particularly prone to this as we tend to be more introspective. Men I know think about and fear mortality while women seek ways to give back to society, to become more creative, to live life to its ful...more
Robin
The truth of the matter is that I am an old woman: 58 this past December. I am having difficulty accepting this state of affairs. Once, when I was a young woman, I read the Goddesses in Every Woman. In fact, I took an 8 week workshop with several other women led by a Jungian Psychologist. It really helped me find and celebrate my spiritual me, my place in the grand scheme of things.

At the moment, I can't find my place. Where do I fit? What has become of me? So I have decided to return to a study...more
Sara
This book provides excellent insight into the way different goddess archtypes play out in older women. Bolen writes from a Jungian perspective and shows effectively how who we are changes as we age. For those who missed her first book on this topic, she includes material previously covered and expands upon those archtypes in older women as well. Some of this material helped me to understand some of my own feelings and perspectives shifts. It's written in clear, understandable and concise prose,...more
Cyndy
It took me a long time to get to reading this book. It sat on my shelf and I had to wait to recover from some traumatic events in my life to have the energy to read it. I am glad I finally read it, all the way to the end. The goddess archetypes and how they permeate our lives and our behaviors is fascinating and would have been helpful knowledge to have many lives ago. The end of the book and the discussion of woman's circles was especially inspirational. I would consider this a life changing bo...more
Judy Frabotta
This was pretty good if you already read and enjoyed her first book, Goddesses in Everywoman. If not, it's hard to figure out where she's going. Also, although I consider myself a feminist, there's more patriarchy bashing than I would have expected, which while not strictly untrue, gives the book a slightly old fashioned, hectoring feel. Still and all, the core message is a good one -- the crone years can be a time of empowerment wisdom and humor. I especially like that she found some humorous g...more
Elisa
Leí este libro por pertenecer a un círculo de lectura lleno de "mujeres maduras".

Y no es que no haya disfrutado leyéndolo pero definitivamente no es lo mío. Demasiado self-help para mi gusto.

Sin embargo, no hay ningún libro tan malo que de él no se pueda rescatar algo bueno y lo que me gustó de este fue la manera en la autora tomó los mitos de las diosas (sobre todo las griegas) y los convirtió en metáforas de diferentes situaciones y etapas de la mujer moderna.

En unos veinte años tendré que...more
Kendra
A followup to the author's Goddesses in Everywoman, and updates the Greek Goddesses for women over 50. Also adds in a few other Goddesses from other cultures, giving more depth to what women can do with a major change in life. A bit redundant if you read the first book real close to this one because she repeats the basic myths of the Greek Goddesses, but the other details are informative and interesting.
Mónica
I enjoyed reading this book, it has good info on several female deities and how they're seen and can be seen in our daily life and how we can relate to their characteristics.

It also talks about women's role in society and when it comes to wisdom in Older Women, talks about Women Circles and such events that really help women and spreads their knowledge.
Natasa Tovornik
Interesting description of the roles, archetypes and destinies of greek goddesses and what an impact it has on todays life as well as how does it relate to the life stages of a woman. A bit early for my age, but still interesting. Probably Goddess in every woman would be better for all below 45 od 50 years of age.
Sue
This book really got me thinking about what it is to be a woman, a woman in today's society, and a woman over 50! It helped me learn to cherish it all the more by stopping to reflect on what it all means to me. A growth experience! (Men...there IS a 'Gods in Older Men'!)
Jeanne
ah to be a juicy old crone and be proud of it!!

this was a lovely journey through goddesses and how they relate to the third phase of womens lives and circles of women.

always keep your women friends has been my advice to my daughter...they are always there for you
Satia
I definitely liked this book but I'm more a Jungian than a Freudian as is the author. A good book with a lot of references to invite further reading. For more:

Jeanne
It has some interesting stuff on myths and legends from across all cultures, but really, I'm not spending much time figuring out what feminine archetype I'm currently in. There's too much mumbo-jumbo in it for my taste.
Rosa Macpherson
If you're ready to be a juicy crone his book is for you! Very easy to read but illuminating on the goddess archetypes and their relationship to women as they approach their latter years. Optimistic, empowering.
Sharon
This book is part of my personal library. I love this woman's work. I recommend it for women who are on their spiritual path. I would suggest reading Goddesses in Every Woman first, so you get a feeling for the subject.
Dana Jennings
I just could not make it past the first 25 pages.
Baxter Trautman
I have so become a Hecuba woman - still Artemis, but leaning far more to the later. Fun book. Answers many questions about a woman's life in the second, most intrinsically fruitful half.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2013 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: Jean Bolen
Clear, fascinating presentation of how our relationship with inner archetypes determine meaningfulness and bliss. Excellent even the second time reading it!
Joanne
This is the second book our Goddess Group is reading by Jean Shinoda Bolen. If you like reading about archetypes in mythology you will enjoy both of her books.
Sheryl
While worshipping goddesses is not my thing, learning about myself through various archetypes was very enlightening.
Gail
The tag line is "Becoming a Juicy Crone". I read Goddesses in Every Woman about 20 years ago.
Karleen Koen
Looking at my aging self with the help of Bolen. Good.
Karen
Seems like a great bok but I am still reading it
Georgia
couldn't get though it......
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M. D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s "Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award". She is a former board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women.
More about Jean Shinoda Bolen...
Goddesses in Everywoman: Powerful Archetypes in Women's Lives Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine Gods In Everyman The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women