Start by marking “Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Mom, and a Very, Very Bad Beagle” as Want to Read:
Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Mom, and a Very, Very Bad Beagle

Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Mom, and a Very, Very Bad Beagle

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A TRUE story about a Boy, a Single Mom, and the Very Bad Beagle Who Saved Them

In this hilarious and heartwarming memoir, single mother Paula Munier takes on the world's worst beagle - and loses every time. The puppy that destroys her kitchen cabinets, bites her dates, pees on her neighbours, and bays at the moon is her worst nightmare - and her son's best friend. She tries
Published August 18th 2010 by Adams Media Corporation (first published July 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Freddie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Freddie

A Child al Confino by Enrico LametFixing Freddie by Paula MunierThe Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna BannisterThe Odyssey by HomerA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Lendable Nook Books
2nd out of 15 books — 2 voters
Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
320th out of 362 books — 520 voters

More lists with this book...

Joan Colby
This is really a memoir of a woman’s life raising her youngest son as a single mother following two divorces (her older children are adults). Though she has a “perfect” dog, Shakespeare, a rescued mutt and a cat Isis, succumbing to the pleadings of her 10 year old son Mikey, Munier acquires Freddie, a badly behaved beagle. Freddie’s misdeeds are interspersed in what is essentially the story of Munier trying to put her life on a balanced footing. A writer and editor, she has relocated to a lakesi ...more
Mike
Apr 19, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers, single parents
Recommended to Mike by: found it at Borders
Shelves: autobiography
AS the owner of a mixed breed beagle, the cover of this book caught my eye. I was very surprised at how easy the book was to read and it was an engaging book at that.

Paula is a great storyteller....her tale of dealing with life in raising her youngest son as a single mom after two failed marriages is very engaging....mix in Freddie, a purebred (terror) beagle and life definitely is not boring.

For those that love dogs (especially beagles), this is an excellent read...
Kris
Sep 13, 2010 Kris rated it it was ok
A single mom buys a beagle puppy on a lark and suffers the consequences. She doesn't have time to train him properly and so he becomes a nightmare. Poops and pees in her small house, bites a guest, breaks off his leash, etc. All the while, we learn of her many poor choices in husbands and boyfriends. Frustrating read. Save your time.
Teena in Toronto
I love reading stories about dogs and that's why this book caught my attention. But it turns out that it was less about Freddie, the beagle, and more about the author and her quest to find a husband.

Paula has been divorced twice and has three children ... two are older and live on their own (their father is loser husband #1) and Mikey is a pre-teen (his father is loser husband #2) when the book begins ... and she keeps attracting and falling for losers. When Paula buys a house on a lake and she
Kristin
Oct 07, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Got this for free at our vacation home over the summer. While it sounded like the beagle version of 'Marley and Me', the book was as much about the author trying to fix her messed up life as it was about fixing Freddie's behavior. Munier had just divorced her second husband, settled their custody battle for her youngest child, and moved to New England for work when her son holds her to a promise she made that if they ever had a house of their own again, he could have a puppy. Their older dog was ...more
Jill
Oct 13, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok
This book is less about a very bad beagle than it is about a divorcee's quest to find a man.

Yeah, I get it, Freddie's issues are supposed to be some metaphor about the general "mess" that is her life, and fixing Freddie's problems is supposed to bring some meaning to her life and BLAH BLAH BLAH. It was forced and silly.

And besides, my beagle is worse than Freddie, and I didn't write a fuckin' book about him. But it does still get two stars instead of one simply because it's a beagle book.
Shari Larsen
May 24, 2011 Shari Larsen rated it liked it
In this memoir, the author takes us along on her journey as she navigates through single motherhood, dating, dealing with ex-husbands and one bad dog.

She had made a promise to her son that if they were ever able to get a home of their own, he could have a puppy; so when when her dream of home ownership becomes a reality, her son Mikey reminds her of her promise, so they end up adopting Freddie, a beagle puppy.
Freddie seems to be unstoppable in his bad behavior and penchant for destruction, (kitc
Punkin Girl
Oct 24, 2015 Punkin Girl rated it it was ok
This book was only okay for me. The constant back and forth in the timeline was a little tough to follow at times. The moments between the author and Mikey were cute, but the antics with Freddie seemed like typical dog behavior...nothing out of the ordinary and not really worthy of a whole book. It seemed to be trying to catch the appeal of Marley and Me and not quite making it.
Susan Reynolds
Sep 17, 2015 Susan Reynolds rated it it was amazing
It's a delightful romp featuring a very bad beagle and a single-mom struggling to create a new life for herself and her ten-year-old son. Whether you love beagles (or love to hate beagles, who can be trying), you'll enjoy reading about Paula's efforts to tame Freddie and move forward in her life.
Richard Tolleson
Jan 03, 2015 Richard Tolleson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing earth-shattering about this book. It's just a story about a single mom raising her son and several animals. It's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but never boring. If you want a tale about ordinary people leading normal lives, check this out.
Christine
Oct 17, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
This book wasn't bad, but I had to give it a 2 star, because it simply wasn't what it advertised itself to be.

Adorable crazy dog on the cover, with a cutesy title? The reader (and as I see, most of the reviewers) believe the book to be about an adorable yet crazy dog, going through various hijinks with the owner, hilarity ensues, etc.

However, the book was about the owner of the dog, her trials and tribulations of life, such as husbands, family, and last, the pets. The book was written and edited
Megalion
Apr 01, 2016 Megalion rated it liked it
I feel mislead by the title of the book. It's not a memoir focused on the shenanigans of Freddie but the travails of the author's life. Which do include shenanigans by Freddie but she is the focus.

Also as a memoir, she jumps around the timeline and sometimes not clearly so. In one spot, she essentially repeated herself within a chapters worth of pages.

I do not regret reading this. I did enjoy it for what it turned out to be. But if it came up in conversation... I would tell my friends not to "
Paola
Jul 14, 2012 Paola rated it did not like it
With the pretext of the dog, the author tells us about her separation and life as a single mum - and as for the dog things looked pretty bad (read "untrainable dog") and then improve, so does life for the author.

Not particularly novel storyline, not particularly well written, at various places slightly boring. I read it because I find it hard not to finish a book once I started it; and I picked it up in the first place because I am a sucker for dogs and the book was a freebie from Amazon. Wouldn
WifeMomKnitter
I was loaned this book through Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book was more of a memoir of the author's experience with the lovable, but extremely ill-baved beagle that she and her son, Mikey, adopted after moving into their own home.

But, this book is also about how both Freddie and the author "grow up".

I laughed and cried while reading about Freddie's adventures and the loss of his feline companions.

If you're a dog lover, I think you'll like this book.
Joni
Jul 10, 2012 Joni rated it liked it
True story of a twice divorced mom, her young son, and a puppy--a very determined beagle. The book takes you through the agonies of moving, sending a young son across country by himself on holidays to visit his father, keeping promises, buying a house, and many other adventures. It indeed is a story of life; life spiced up by a puppy who turns into a determined, misbehaving adolescent dog, adolescent boy, and how the maturing attitudes of all change over time.
Denise Taylor
Sep 02, 2011 Denise Taylor rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this boo. It is a story of a woman and her son growing together, along with 2 dogs and several cats, and a few men thrown in. Nice gentle read. Would have got more stars but I realized when I went to write a review on Amazon, that what I'd downloaded, thinking it was free, had cost me 8.75! My own fault for not checking but that is far to much to pay for an ebook, and it's even more now! ...more
Sara
I love misbehaving dog books--not because they provide advice for me to deal with my own dog, but because they make me realize my dog ain't so bad after all. This book, although named after Freddie the beagle, is more about the life of the author and her family's emotional growth. It has laughter, tears, frustration, and love--all with a ribbon of zany pet antics woven through.
Pauline Tilbe
May 26, 2011 Pauline Tilbe rated it really liked it
This was a fun book for me, a huge dog lover! I would sit back and say that I wish the ending had been better, with more resolution but then it's a true story and that's the difference, it doesn't always end neat and happy. There were several laught out loud moments for me but also some tears. This book was a great surprise to me.
Robin perez
Jun 08, 2011 Robin perez rated it liked it
It was more about her divorce and how she dealt with living on her own and being a single mom. The dog was the comic relief. It was a nice diversion to another book I was reading at the same time. It wasn't a book, that I couldn't put down. Enjoyable, sad, and funny. it isn't a book I would pay for. I received this free on my kindle.
illnessinspiredwords
I'm not entirely sure why but I loved this book. Maybe because I was raised by a single mother, or because I currently have to very bad yet lovable beagles. It's a feel good story of a newly single mother in the trenches of raising a son and dealing with a fun loving but naughty dog who helps bridge the gaps.
Judith
Oct 15, 2011 Judith rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs, memoir, quick-read
This story is more about her own failed romantic relationships (and her human children) than her beagle Freddie. She missed the opportunity to let the readers really see and fall in love with Freddie. And for most of the book, Freddie's actions didn't seem that bad. Hello, he is a beagle!
Lahni
Jan 16, 2015 Lahni rated it did not like it
Mildly amusing at times but overall I had to force myself to keep reading it. It just never compelled me to pick it up. I have read better dog books and Freddie really is more of a secondary character even though the book is named after him. Actually, it was a waste of time.
Bonnie
Sep 15, 2010 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This was a cute, quick read and enjoyable book about a divorced mom who is soon to become an empty-nester, her son, and a precocious beagle. Anyone who owns a dog can relate to the woman's plight with poor Freddie who becomes the family's saving grace by the end of the story.
Connie Paddle
Dec 17, 2015 Connie Paddle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
A delightful story about a naughty beagle. Really worth reading for enjoyment. Not a long book and a good filler between more serious subjects.
Leeann
Apr 06, 2012 Leeann rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I was really disappointed that this book wasn't about Freddie. This book is really about the author and her bad choices in men. Too bad, because, I think it would have been a much better book if it had stayed focused on Freddie.
timothy
Jul 25, 2015 timothy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
BEAGLE STORY ? I

Not a touching beagle STORY. Mornings with Barney a beagle STORY. Dog Lived ( and So Will I ) a beagle STORY. A Dog Called Perth: The True Story of a Beagle. etc. Beagles storys.
Kevin
Jul 16, 2011 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. And it's not about the dog, whose a minor character at best. It's a memoir about the author, who apparently makes 3 bad choices everyday before she gets out of bed.
Linda
Jun 19, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
An easy and entertaining story to read about a single mother raising her son with the help of and sometimes in spite of the help received from their badly behaved beagle.
Brenda Freeman
Aug 13, 2012 Brenda Freeman rated it really liked it
If you have a beagle or love beagles, this is a must read. They have minds of their own and if you don't train them at the beginning things may not go as planned.
Tami Chappel
Dec 04, 2013 Tami Chappel rated it really liked it
This was so cute. And I could really connect with the single mom who is a dog lover. Nice light read. I like memoirs, and I enjoyed this one.
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • I Witch
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • The Silver Ring
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Jerome and the Seraph
  • For Sale In Palm Springs (Henry Wright #1)
  • The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years (Enhanced Edition)
  • The Mudlark
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Graveyard Games
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries