Start by marking “Hoodwinked Hoodwinked” as Want to Read:
Hoodwinked Hoodwinked

Hoodwinked Hoodwinked

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  55 reviews
John Perkins has seen the signs of today's economic meltdown before. The subprime mortgage fiascos, the banking industry collapse, the rising tide of unemployment, the shuttering of small businesses across thelandscape are all too familiar symptoms of a far greater disease. In his former life as an economic hit man, he was on the front lines both as an observer and a perpe ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Broadway Business (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hoodwinked Hoodwinked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoodwinked Hoodwinked

Lena
I first heard about John Perkins when my husband read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. In that book, he discusses how he was employed by a consulting firm to essentially bribe leaders of third-world countries to accept huge loans that would end up leaving their countries so indebted they would have no choice but surrender their natural resources to US corporations at bargain basement prices free of any pesky environmental regulations.

I've been meaning to read that one for a while now, but op
Doug
The title of this book is misleading. It isn't really a treatment specifically explaining why financial markets imploded. It's more of a concise explanation of how U.S. predatory capitalism has really operated in the world over the last forty years. In other words, it's something of a handy rewrite of the author's Confessions of an Economic Hitman. But this one is more streamlined, and he gets to anticipate objections better. Also, here, Perkins is more positive about the future of capitalism, e ...more
Trevor
I was going to review this book, but I made to mistake of checking for friend reviews first and there is no point now:

I can only add that the book Lena is looking for about the GFC is this one:

and if she would like more the four books in the Blowback series gives more detail on US foreign policy for corporate benefit:

Vale Mr Johnson - you are sorely missed.

I sincerely hope Mr
Ellen Christian
I was really amazed when reading this book that these things actually go on. OK, call me naive but the thought that our government and large corporations send businessmen (ie hitmen) to other countries with the sole intention of conning them into giving us their natural resources and going into debt just disgusts me.

John Perkins really opens readers eyes to what's going on in the global market. He gives an insight into the global meltdown that many people haven't previously considered. He discus
Will Byrnes
Perkins’ Confessions of an Economic Hit Man was a scorching look at how western capital exploits third world countries in order to use their resources and encourage them to take on unsupportable mounds of debt to ensure their future subservience. He is back in familiar, shark-infested waters showing how the forces that made an art of international rape and pillage are applying the same methods inside the USA.

Perkins touches on a wide range of topics, all relevant, and all interesting, yet I felt
David
for those who do not know enough of the elite level operations (Illuminati), then this book serves as basic entry of how EHM (foot soldiers) have been continuing casting damages on other countries, regardless of any countries. Perkins only touches the basic surface of the global operations of those in higher up at the Elite level by stating the flaw lies on economic idealogy shift from Keynesian to M. Friedman during the Reagan year. Of pure deregulation or no government intervention which becam ...more
Eric
This book is a good starting point for somebody that doesn't know alot about, or wants recent information on corporate greed and government deregulation's role in the economic crisis that was manufactured and brought to this country and how the same policies and philosophies have been used in other countries for years as a means of exploiting the world's resources for profit. Fun Stuff!!!
Mike
I thought this was a good followup to Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, he explains what's going on with our economy, stresses that this gov't cannot continue it's atrocious policies without our consent, and gives examples of ways you we can change things non-violently. I would have liked a little more detail but it's still a worthwhile read.
Meme Grey
An amazing read, John Perkins really opened my mind to what is going on in this crazy world, We should all read this book, it will really make you angry just what is going on across the Globe by a small group of capitalists, hidden from view.
I am not in America, but Great Britain, and am well aware that our system is also corrupt and damaged in fact the Whole Western view point of Profit at any cost is a Human disaster that is already imploding, we can look at the Globe and see this happening, b
Marc
Good follow up to Confessions of an Economic HitMan.
Benj FitzPatrick
The format and tone carry over from the first book, which made transitioning into the conceptual framework simple. His premise that the US and other 1st world countries exhibit the same traits as 3rd world countries is interesting and reasonably well supported (by his arguments/examples). As before, there are not enough examples, and the ones provided do not go in depth. Moreover, in this book he teases the reader with even fewer details in his examples. I am not so sure that I buy China as bein ...more
Nael
This book is definitely enjoyable, entertaining and gives you good hopes.
But its not what the title says..\

in this book perkins do explain some policies followed by the free market that led to the crises, but he didn't explain how did the crises happened technically.

he didnt differentiate between whats an economical theories and between those who took advantage of it.

fredrich von hayek was a pro free market advocate his entire life, only when he was really old the markets started to take the sh
Teddy
This is a guest review by my husband Bill. Welcome Bill!

Thanks to Teddy for requesting this book for me to review. It was one I highly coveted.

After Confessions of an Economic Hit Man and The Secret History of the American Empire, Hoodwinked is the latest in John Perkins trilogy explaining how predatory capitalism has formed an unholy alliance with the imperialism of the American empire to threaten the economic, social and environmental fabric of the world. While it can stand on its own for thos
Jack
Back when i first becoming radicalized I really enjoyed John Perkins the information he provided me. Since then I have come to find him being a green capitalist and as much as I want to believe we can save the world without purchasing power I do not agree. The book makes it clear that we are headed for a cliff perhaps already over it, much like coyote in the cartoon we just don't know that we are about to fall.
Edwin Dando
Good easy read on how a small minority of powerful rich in America have raped and pillaged other countries using debt as their weapon, and then finally how they then turned on their own people and screwed America. Written for an insiders perspective it is factual, frightening and enlightening.

Educate yourself on what has really been going on behind the corporate controlled media garbage we've been spoon fed.

The second half of the book covers strategies re what we can do about it.

Perkins is an i
Joe
I really recommend this book. Aside from the self congratulatory asides where the author details his sexual conquests, I found it incredibly insightful into the huge problem of economic exploitation by the part of "economic hit men" who reduce third world countries to a dependent status in a controlled, calculated series of maneuvers.

It is frightening information, and I am glad the author decided to detail the operations he's been a part of. His observations are horrific when it comes to the im
Bahar Tajrobehkar
Great book. I like the author - once again, very eye-opening. Here is a paragraph from the last page of the book: "Whether you are a student, dentist, plumber, housewife or something else, you can talk to your friends, family and clients about the issues, join organizations that represent your passions, send e-mails, use materials that are environmentally and socially responsible, support politicians who take actions oriented to benefit future generations, vote in the marketplace for companies c ...more
Derek
This is what really happened in the "economic meltdown".
Fox Lui
I am sure Mr. Perkins is a Mason... he's talking about the power of thoughs, which have mass. If the no. of people who share the same though, the mass of such thought increases and therefore created a large force which can change the world (newton physics) !!! In this book, he opposed to capitalism....against Freidman economics..... personally, i am not on the same side with Mr. Perkins...because it's the problem of the rules instead of the game itself... Whatever, it's a great book, bringing to ...more
Ron
A very good "insiders" look at how our corporations, politicians & financial wizards are taking us down the path of destruction. Unfortunately, we have a long way to go to turn the tide around.

Quote from “ Essential Information and the Consumer Education Foundation:

“The financial sector invested more than $5 billion in political influence purchasing in Washington over the past decade, with as many as 3,000 lobbyists winning deregulation and other policy decisions that led directly to the cur
Aron
Perkins writing is almost simplistic in it's style and his name dropping anecdotes can be annoying. Yet this very characteristic allows him to explain complex issues clearly and simply. He gets to the heart of what's wrong with corporate capitalism in a way anyone can understand. His solutions may also sound overly simple minded. But he's right that every individual needs to take personal responsibility and work for change. No one, least of all politicians, are going to do it for us.
Kevin
This man is a triple agent not a ex hitman turned good. He uses his popularity and "know how" to make people buy green not buy less. I spoke with this man and even had a few drinks with him at the local bar. He did not even want to touch steady state economics with a 10 foot pole. I read some of his work with an open mind to understand where he is coming from. This book does raise awareness of predatory capitalism but he has no real solutions in a world with real problems.
Kate
Quite a quick read, really explains corporate power. Not as good as Confessions of an Economic Hitman, and devoid of the personal awakening that Wendell Potter demonstrates in The Deadly Spin, making me wonder if this Robin Hood is rather just looking to capitalize on his less than heroic past life.
For those who want to know more about the current state of our world, and a crash course in real-life Business Ethics cases, check this book out (of a library, preferably).
Kristin Traylor
Excellent Book! The first half is devoted to describing the problems of the world, and the second half to their solutions. It's not that often that I see an author give so much space to solutions! As an "economic hit man" he said he watched many countries go down after they got manipulated by debt to the corporatocracy, but none as quickly as the US did in 2008. He makes a good case for all his points, and also gave me a feeling of hope for 2012.
Daniel Milano
A less 'tight ' argumentation on how the destructive mercantilism has long term severe adverse impact. Mr Perkins however convincingly demonstrates how societies that have a greater participation from women in both the political and economic arena are more prosperous, peaceful while remaining vibrant and creative. Ladies, just take whAt is rightfully yours: your leading role. Don't ask, just take. Polite girls sometimes don't go far enough.
Mohamed
I found the book repetitive. The main idea is that big corporations seek only to maximize their profits regardless of any other matter. They ignore environmental issues and they are careless about the wellness of whole the world. Corporate executives are paid so much to achieve this goal and they are also involved in political decision, which makes it worse. It is a good book, however it didn't provide much information or details !
Kip Williams
Perkins has an insider's knowledge of the markets, both domestic and international, having worked for decades for consulting firms in the employ of the IMF and World Bank and knows the ins and outs of the mechanics of rigged markets and rigged games. A must read for anyone striving to have an understanding of not just what's happening, buy why.
Jackiejjj
Without giving too much away, the basic premise is that we must look to ourselves - we CAN influence corporations - to create a sustainable, just and peaceful planet - read it to find out how!

Perkins does not have the most gripping writing style, but the content has punch and his personal experience lends credence to his advice!
Brian G. Murphy
An eye-opening account of how the markets recently "imploded" because our nation has become overrun by corrupt, corporate controlled politicians. Either Perkins has an innate dislike of corporate America, in which case this book best be taken with a grain of salt, or our country's motives are more disturbing than most are aware.
Valerie
I am intrigued by the idea of calculating a triple bottom line. And I liked his point that when we buy cheap items, we are pushing the cost onto someone else. I'm a bit concerned about the new age-edness, but I have to applaud what ever steps led to his complete change of morality.
Economic Hit Man 2 11 Feb 05, 2012 07:08PM
  • The Secrets Of The Federal Reserve
  • Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • Exile on Wall Street: One Analyst's Fight to Save the Big Banks from Themselves
  • The Trillion Dollar Meltdown: Easy Money, High Rollers, and the Great Credit Crash
  • Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country
  • The Real Price of Everything: Rediscovering the Six Classics of Economics
  • Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House G one Wild
  • The New Buffettology: The Proven Techniques for Investing Successfully in Changing Markets That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism
  • A Game as Old as Empire: The Secret World of Economic Hit Men and the Web of Global Corruption
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government
  • Competition Demystified: A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy
  • Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
  • Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food
  • Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic
  • The Moral Economy of the Peasant: Rebellion and Subsistence in Southeast Asia
John Perkins is an activist and author. As a former chief economist at Boston strategic-consulting firm Chas. T. Main, Perkins says that he was an "economic hit man" for 10 years, helping U.S. intelligence agencies and multinational corporations cajole and blackmail foreign leaders into serving U.S. foreign policy and awarding lucrative contracts to American business.

However, after several years s
More about John Perkins...
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals & the Truth about Global Corruption Shapeshifting: Techniques for Global and Personal Transformation The World Is As You Dream It: Teachings from the Amazon and Andes Psychonavigation: Techniques for Travel Beyond Time