Start by marking “Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a Word)” as Want to Read:
Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a Word)

Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a Word)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
These unique, interactive early-reading books invite children to flip the pages andpresto-change-o!a different word and picture appear. The use of word families helps children grasp the connections between similar words, while Yukiko Kido's bright and inspired illustrations in a Japanese anime style set the Flip-a-Word series apart from other phonics books. Be sure to chec ...more
Published April 8th 2009 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Crab Cab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crab Cab

Megan
Good for beginning readers. And any book that teaches the "OT" sound by using the word "snot" will be a hit with kids.
E.  Talamante
A great rhyming book about sounds and word families, featuring the 'ot' family, the 'ab' family, and the 'it' family. The simple words, humorous pictures, and nifty cut-outs make this a great pre-reading to beginning reader tool.

Read full review here:
Sarah Adamson
I delayed writing the review so we could read this a few times. This book's basic idea is wonderful. It is a very early reader book for the starter reader and my daughter loved trying to find out the words and the rhyming words especially. My limit to three stars is because of the choice of some of their words which are a bit inappropriate and spoil it somewhat. I'll look for more in this series and hope for better words..
Tiffany
Gross! The "ot" words include "snot" and "snot pot," which have been illustrated for your child. Wildly inappropriate.
Wooden Horse
I like these clever little books. Especially in the paperback editions as they are the right price and trim size for our leveled reader spinner rack. Each page has a half circle cut out along the bottom that allows a "word chunk" to carry forward to the next page. For instance the title page "crab cab" would be presented on two facing pages. One with "crab" and the other with "cab". The cut out would contain the letters "ab" so that the child could see that both words contain the same ending sou ...more
jacky
Natalie liked reading this. It is a mix of phonics because of the use of word families and picture clues. I would have preferred it focus on one word family.
Sunnyvale Librarian
An excellent place to start for beginning readers, this book introduces the word families ot (as in hot & pot), ab (as in crab & blab), and it (as in sit & knit) decorated with cute, silly, Japanese-style illustration. If you like this book, check out Pig Wig, Snow Bow, Stop Pop, Snake Cake, Wet Pet, and Quack Shack.
Dona
Crab Cab is a fun change for children practicing their phonics. Flipping pages to change the word is reminiscent of Sesame streets segments on n...ot...not etc.
marmix
Our favorite series for new readers, but the "snot" rhyme is unnecessary and off-putting to some.
Heather
what child won't love an unintimidating early reader book including the word snot??
Stacey
The cover art alone rates this five stars. I may need to get it made into a tattoo.
Amanda
Another in this fabulous learn to read (for even the littlest readers) series.
Cindy Foley
harder was snake cake - ok thing
like pictures
liked it
Carol
Cute fun word families for beginning readers.
Kari
Could have done without "snot"
Michael B.
Michael B. marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jb
Jb marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...
A New Coat for Anna Sleepy Dog My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius Snow Party Lucy Rescued