Start by marking “Thinking in Java” as Want to Read:
Thinking in Java

Thinking in Java

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  916 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Thinking in Java is a printed version of Bruce Eckel's online materials that provides a useful perspective on mastering Java for those with previous programming experience. The author's take on the essence of Java as a new programming language and the thorough introduction to Java's features make this a worthwhile tutorial.

Thinking in Java begins a little esoterically, wi

Paperback, Fourth Edition, 1482 pages
Published February 10th 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published February 19th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking in Java, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking in Java

Effective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochThinking in Java by Bruce EckelJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJava Cookbook by Ian F. DarwinJava in a Nutshell by David Flanagan
JAVA
2nd out of 19 books — 7 voters
Single Page Web Applications by Michael S. MikowskiJava for Dummies Quick Reference by Doug LoweSCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide by Kathy SierraJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJavaScript Objects Functions and Arrays Explained by Tony de Araujo
Web Development with HTML5 and Java
39th out of 42 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan
This book suffers from the same problem that many computer science books have. It seems that Eckel believes that learning a programming language should be completed on an exponential curve.

0 - basic... "This is a a variable" type stuff.
10 - this is how you make a function.
100 - you need to develop classes in this manner
1000 - when you're calling from the stack...

I know that one should have some computer science background when reading this book, however it seems to me that one should either star...more
Steven Dunn
I've previously done some tutoring out of Eckel's Thinking in C++, which I had mixed feelings about, but I had heard so many good things about Thinking in Java that I decided to take the chance, since I need to learn Java for a new job. It's no better. The fundamental issue is that, for all its strengths (especially in the beginning when Mr. Eckel starts right in with OO design as the basis for thinking about programming) the book ultimately gets bogged down in its own technical minutiae and tri...more
Denis
Книгу не сразу понял, но продолжал ее изучать.
Когда же дошел до середины, осознал всю прелесть ее изложения. И простоту примеров, их понятность и то, как излагаются основные концепции языка.

Вся книга построена на описании реализации концепций ООП на языке java. И делается это очень лаконично и красиво!
Must have!
Zigurd Mednieks
Most of the time you will find an excellent explanation of Java constructs and concepts in this book. This is what I tell readers of Programming Android to get for places where they need to bolster their knowledge of Java basics.
Manikandan
Mahesh Gupta
More than just programming in java book, gets you the mindset of object oriented programming.
Rijdzuan Sampoerna
Good explanation about the concept of oop. Easy to understand with simple abalogy for examples.
In-ho Yi
First serious book I read on Java. Taught me OOP that has since become guiding principle.
Michael Durrow
I you seriously want to be a Java programmer, this book is a recommended read.
Miguel Ángel
En su día fue una muy buena introducción a Java
Josh Hamacher
I'm giving this book four stars despite not having read it cover-to-cover. It's a massive tome; doing so would be impractical. But as a reference it can't be beat. I've found answers to most of my questions about Java in this book. My usual workflow:

1. Google my question.
2. Read a couple web pages.
3. If those don't make sense (which is often the case), consult this book. Often I can find clear, concise answers and advice.
Eric
In my mind, this book is a seminal work. It was the first real programming book I ever read, and although I've never done anything significant in Java, the author's explanation of the various object-oriented concepts has served me well over the years. My only sorrow is that the version I read was concerning the rather early Java 2 (1.2) and so many of the new OOP concepts (generics and dependency injection anyone?) I have had to learn fresh.
Ambarish Hazarnis
I doubt whether this book is made for someone who is starting with Java or programming. However, with some background knowledge, the book will aid you to you in realizing and start using the power of Java.
Ben Seymour
Feb 06, 2007 Ben Seymour rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New Java programmer
Shelves: it
I read this for the first time when I had been programming in Java for about 9 months, and I really wished I had read it on day 1. (It was an earlier version that I read at this time).
The author has the confidence to make it freely available online, and know that people will still go out and buy it, even if it is just by way of a thankyou.
Maciek Zalewski
If you want to learn Java, this book is for you. This is probably the best book about the language (at least that's what I've heard ;)). However, maybe that's because of translation (I've read it in Polish), sometimes the book was really difficult to read and understand.
Salvatore
While the book is old and not up to date on the newest versions of the Java programming language, this was (and in many ways still is) the go to book for learning Java. Well written and a pleasure to read. And worthwhile as a reference source for someone new to Java.
Khaled
An excellent book on Programming in Java, although not recommended for total beginners to programming. A prior hands-on experience in Java or C/C++ is required. The book covers the basic and several pitfalls. Recommended for intermediate programmers.
Cristian
Not as good as I'd hoped. It definitely scores points for completeness and accuracy, but I do not feel that the material is presented in a very beginner-friendly way. If you are just starting out with Java, this is an okayish book but not the best.
Said A
That's the first book I read to learn more about Java programming language. After a little research I found that this book was among the "must read"'s for Java developers. Good insights, to the point and no unnecessary clutter text...
Aaron M
Bruce Eckel really nails it. I'm not a fan of Java, but when I need to brush up this is the book i turn to. It really does encourage you to think in Java. Which somehow is different than just thinking like a programmer. HA!
João Fernandes
Too slow on basic concepts. So if you join that with the fact that just the size of the book is scaring enough... I just felt that the book was never able to motivate me. That said, sometimes is a good reference.
Grzegorz
Jun 18, 2013 Grzegorz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: it
Not bad book, however i see it as another big and overloaded with information cookbook. The most boring part is the first describing actually what does it mean to write code, and how to do it.
Arnauld
"The" place to start with if you want to learn the Java programming language. Bruce does not only teach you a language, but also tries to inculcate the 'philosophy' and good practices of Java.
Mike G
A favorite Java book. Eckel provides a wide view of the language and how best to use it. His design patterns are thorough and I like the chapter on concurrency the best.
Gennadiy
Usefull for those who want to start as a first language or just need basics. Oracle's official docs worth much more. Scarce information about concurrency.
Bill Hayes
Just getting into chapter 2, but I really like his discussion of Java's features, especially compared to C and C++.
Burak Dede
if you come from background of c/c++ like procedural langauage this is the book gives you the insight of java.
Matteo
Good to beginners, not enough for more advanced techniques. Anyway a good book to start Java Programming
Angelo
The very best book describing the Java language. Especially suited for the beginning programmer.
Alessandro Puzielli
Very useful!

It's a fantastic book for understand the logic of Java and OO programming
6 Months Live Industrial Training in Noida/NCR 1 5 Jan 03, 2014 08:49PM
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Effective Java Programming Language Guide
  • Spring in Action
  • Core Java 2, Volume I--Fundamentals (Core Series)
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • Head First Java
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Programming in Scala
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • The Practice of Programming
  • Java: How to Program
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Refactoring to Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thinking in C++, Volume One: Introduction to Standard C++ Thinking in C++, Vol. 2: Practical Programming Thinking in C++ Atomic Scala Thinking in Python