Start by marking “Perfect Weight: The Complete Mind/Body Program for Achieving and Maintaining Your Ideal Weight” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  27 reviews
One of the two launch titles in the Perfect Health Library series by bestselling author Dr. Deepak Chopra, Perfect Weight focuses on Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of life, to help readers conquer their weight problems.
Published March 19th 1996 by Harmony (first published October 4th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Weight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Weight

Abbey
In the first chapter he basically says, For two weeks don't eat when you're not hungry. Listen to your body. Eat what you want until just before you feel full. Well, that's genius. I actually think I could lose a lot of weight if I just listened to that advice.

The rest of the book is... odd, for lack of a better word. It just wasnt my speed at this time. I think I need to evolve a little more first. haha...
Janice
I decided to read the book through to understand its message before I started implementing any of. Now I will go back and "digest" it more.

This is not a diet book like western diet books. It does not give you a program to follow. You don't count calories or weigh foods. It has a more natural approach to it, teaching us how to eat the way we were meant to eat.
Monica
Book seemed very disjointed. Take a quiz to find your dosha but really just don't eat when you aren't hungry. This is what happens when your dosha is imbalanced. Do more yoga and meditate.
Trix Van tonder
Interesting approach, he carries forward his approach throughout most of his literature. Some items makes alot of sense, interesting read.
Jeremy Schrock
Focused only on overweight people, Kapha Dosha, and not balancing the other two Doshas.
Chavonne
My mother-in-law's been on me to try Chopra's work, so I thought I'd give this a week. It was okay--I don't like to focus on my weight, but am really focused on being as healthy as I can, regardless of where my body decides to land weight-wise. I much prefer "Intuitive Eating" or "Health at Every Size", but I did appreciate the discussion of an Ayurvedic approach to health and wellness. Some hints are really interesting and may become implemented. Others are just not realistic for people who hav ...more
Sara
Ayurvedic based guide to health
Lynn Bonelli
I love this approach...almost like an anti-diet. Very easy book to read and comprehend that reminds us that its okay to feel hungry, to get back in touch with what our body needs...not just eating because the clock says its time. It also reminds us that we all have different bodies and no amount of food restriction can make us into something we are not...we need to embrace our body type and differences and enhance what we have for the sake of our health and not vanity.
Waseem
only really checked out this book as am interested in learning more of deepaks work, not bad book...pretty confusing at times, and perhaps not good for me as the 'perfect weight' topic is not what exactly i was intending on needing help with - but having said that has some good interesting advice beyond just the conventional 'weight loss' advice..with some confusing, but interesting ideas and explanations

Waseem Mirza
Katie Van Sloten
Jan 12, 2008 Katie Van Sloten rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
If you have struggled with weight all your life READ THIS BOOK NOW! Deepak uses simple achievable methods from Ayurvedic medicine and practices. I finally feel as though my weight does not control my life and the pounds are steadily coming off! Not only has this book changed my approach to eating, but also my approach to lots of things in life.
Kim
Let me just say, I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't put it down (and finished it in about a day and half). Yes, some of the concepts presented are a bit "out there" compared to what most "Westerners" are used to, but I find it completely refreshing. Very good book for anyone seeking answers beyond tradition science.

Cera
I bought this book in college (2003) and although it had some interesting tips, the few that I tried did not really work that well for me. However in general is a good read and offered some insight to food cravings and how to control your eating habits, ect.
Kind of a cool read if you are into that stuff.
Rhonda Swan
I read this book 14 years ago. It describes the Ayurveda way of living and eating. I subscribed to the principles and lost 30 pounds in 4 months. Excellent book. Ayurveda is fascinating. Easy to read and understand.
Katie
Although this is a nice handy guide and introducion to Ayurveda, I feel like there is a lot more information in Chopra's Perfect Health book. I would recommend reading that instead.
Robb Menlove
He is so stinking smart, and I think he is spot on in his approach. To apply this would require a complete life alteration, to which he would say, "That's correct."
Melissa Cavanaugh
I would have liked this better if every single piece of information in it hadn't already been published in Perfect Health.
T
This little book is a good introduction to the science of Ayurveda. It is accessible and clear in its presentation.
Odetta
have discovered that I love ginger :) This book is short and sweet and I enjoyed the information provided within...
Missy Olson
Very good book. Lots of helpful and insightful information. A new way to approach weight loss for life.
Allison
Really great. Chopra writes simply and clearly about the intangible mysteries of the universe.
Cindy Elliott
Excellent resource for taking control of out of control and unhealthy eating.
K
So helpful in understanding a new approach to health and living!
Hana Moualla
Baby blues and Chopra - went along well. Lost 10kgs :D ...more
Khuloud
interesting view of the ultimate weight problem
Nancy
Want to loose weight? This book could help.
Lois
Am now applying this. ^^
Judi
Some ideas I use to this day.
Manan Patel
Manan Patel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
  • Living in the Heart: How to Enter Into the Sacred Space Within the Heart [With CD]
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • Yoga for Your Type: An Ayurvedic Approach to Your Asana Practice
  • Spirit Babies: How to Communicate with the Child You're Meant to Have
  • Chakras: Energy Centers of Transformation
  • Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs]
  • The Jesus Diet: How the Holy Spirit Coached Me to a 50-Pound Weight Loss
  • The Conscious Cleanse: A 14-Day, No-Starvation Program to Lose Weight, Heal Your Body, and Change for Life for Good
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do about It
  • Animal Reiki: Using Energy to Heal the Animals in Your Life
  • Ask and It Is Given: The Processes
  • The Culprit and The Cure: Why lifestyle is the culprit behind America's poor health
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • Open Secret: Versions of Rumi
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine