Start by marking “Slave Ship” as Want to Read:
Slave Ship

Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  3,225 ratings  ·  48 reviews
He's both feared and admired, respected and despised.Boba Fett is the galaxy's most successful bounty hunter.Now he finds himself the hunted in the oldest game of all: survival of the fittest.

The once powerful Bounty Hunter's Guild has been shattered into warring factions.Now the posting of an enormous bounty on a renegade Imperial stormtrooper is about to start a frenzy o
Published November 5th 1998 by Bantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group) (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Slave Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slave Ship

This is the second book in the Star Wars "Bounty Hunter Wars" series. And while it did engross me and I did read it in less than 24 hours, it's not exactly an example of fine writing. Yes, the characters are somewhat compelling. Yet Jeter didn't invent many of them, he just gives them things to do. Sometimes.
One thing that the author does constantly is have his characters ruminate. And ponder. And recall. And have all sorts of passive internal monologues. What's worse than that is that he routin
Jeff Lanter
After really enjoying the first book of The Bounty Hunter Wars, Slave Ship starts off really slow. Nearly the first one hundred pages are introspection and scheming which while that was enjoyable in the first volume, it was because there was a balance between thinking and action. As I read the opening pages, I had trouble getting into the story I'd been eating up just days before. Thankfully, the book does pick up steam as it goes along and some interesting things do happen. I still feel like Bo ...more
You've got to be kidding me. Jeter--and Bantam Spectra--should be embarrassed to have their names associated with this book. over half of it--ninety percent of chapters 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8--are recapitulation of the previous book: Mandlorian Armor.

The rest are the same cliches--holo Darth puppet growls; Kud'ar Mub'at spares Balance sheet's life; Bossk swears to kill Boba Fett next time; Everyone in the universe seems to know the thoughts of the secretive, evil Prine Xizor. Yawn.

Probably the worst S
For being based around a character that talks so little...there is SO much talking in this book.

Boba Fett does one incredibly badass thing in the very beginning of the book. He outwits and outplays his bounty hunter rival, Bossk (who is regarded as the second best bounty hunter in the galaxy.)

Unfortunately, after this very cool scene the book comes to almost a dead stop after that. Any chapter revolving around Prince Xizor (and seriously, Xizor sounds like some kind of allergy medicine...) the E
Crystal Starr Light
Please just shut up and do something already!
Fett, Dengar and Neelah leave Tatooine and outsmart Bossk, who lay in wait for them. In the backstory post-A New Hope, Fett continues to destroy the remnants of the Bounty Hunter's Guild.
NOTE: Based on the novel (read years ago) and the audiobook.

I Liked:
I wasn't too impressed with him in The Mandalorian Armor, but here Kuat of Kuat really becomes interesting. Part of that may be that he actually does something other than watching video feeds of scene
Erick Garcia
An okay effort, but suffers from 2 major problems:

1. Like most 90's Star Wars trilogies there are way too many pages without anything actually happening. The editors should have sized the Bounty Hunter Trilogy down to a duology or just one novel even.

2. Boba Fett is one tough cookie. We get it. We do not need to be reminded on nearly every single page that he is cunning, dangerous, badass, menacing, etc. etc. etc.

True Star Wars fans should still read this, other readers are now forewarned.

Oh an
Overall, the book was good. It was a little hard to follow at times with the transitions between past to present though the chapters were clearly labeled. It didn't pull me in and make me want to stay up all night reading. Whenever it would get interesting with one character it would switch to another. I thought there was too much focus on characters I didn't care too much about like Ku'dar Mu'bat. I'm hoping the third book ties everything together and nicely concludes the series. The book isn't ...more
This is a prime example of the worst that can happen to a perfectly good sci-fi series.

Published in 1998 by Random House Audio
Read by Anthony Heald
Duration: 2 hours, 58 minutes

The action takes place during Episode VI (Return of the Jedi) but includes plenty of flashbacks to right after Episode IV (A New Hope).

To be fair to K.W. Jeter, it's not like he has a completely free hand to do what he would with these characters - there's an existing Star Wars timeline to deal with. However, that
Mike Smith
This is the second in the "Bounty Hunter Wars" trilogy of Star Was novels. It's better than the first book, but still has the unusual story structure that bounces between present (in the middle of the period shown in the The Return of the Jedi movie) and past (shortly after the events of the A New Hope movie). And even in the present there are two distinct story lines, although one is mainly a frame for the flashbacks. Multiple people (or "creatures", to use the non-species-specific term that ma ...more
This is a bit of a mixed bag to me. The opening pages are really good but then the chapters start to drag on until about half way when the book shows goes into the past and the action starts to pick up again.

At the beginning of the book, it felt as if Jeter was given a word count and he had to make sure he reached it. That is especially the case in the earlier Kuat chapter where there is a lot of Kuat of Kuat and the Kuat Drive Yards (from the planet Kuat). It felt very repetitive. There's only
Out of all the EU SW books I have read, this is by far the best and brightest of the bunch. Jeter has this amazing ability to shift back and forth seamlessly between timelines to tell you a very intriguing story about a very intriguing character. I bought these when they debuted on paperback, and just finished them as e-books on my Nook. This trilogy is far superior to Zahn's initial Thrawn trilogy in that it doesn't get bogged down by plot, sub-plot, sub-sub-plot, and so on. Everything is clear ...more
meh. this is kind of a bland story arc. and a bit out of canon, the relationship between vader and palpatine does not suggest the events of the first three episodes were known. and same with boba fett.
Jacob Thornburg
Like just about every other review, I'm gonna call this book redundant. This is an uneventful, unnecessary addition that I assume is just here to make it a trilogy rather than a single awesome book. Gotta read it, I guess, but it didn't gotta be written.

Oh, and they never establish who the enemy is, or what "fate worse than death" they have in store for Boba Fett.
As with the first book, this is a different take on George Lucas' space opera, but a good one nonetheless.
Boba Fett is entertaining as usual (luckily I never pictured him as the quiet guy, because he talks...a lot and then more), but at the moment I'm way more interested in Neela and also in the whole Kuat plot, especially Kodir.
Three stars, because the whole Bossk/Boba Fett thing has become boring as hell and dragged the book down for me and there were waay too less scenes between Neela and Boba Fett. While there is obviously no spark (would be a tiny bit illogical), they really have a connection (
in a shocking turn of events, this book is even more boring than the first one
Worst series of books in the whole Star Wars 100+ books. This was written like it was for a 4 yr old's cartoon and not Star Wars. Teh bounty hunters are too clumsy and stupid to consider being the best of anything. Of course, Boba Fett gets the better of these idiots...all this proves is that he is at least slightly below average as a human being as that is all it would take to beat these bumbling idiots. It does nothing for the cool factor for Boba....Terrible, even for a comic book writer tryi ...more
Jesse Booth
As most 2nd novels end up being in a trilogy, this book was so... unorganized. I don't know if the author's intention to build things up for the final book, but he failed miserably at it. While some of the writing was exceptional, the characters seemed, well, out of character. Boba Fett talks way too much, Bossk does not act at all like the 2nd best bounty hunter in the galaxy. All he really does is complain about life. Oddly enough, my favorite character is Balancesheet. I can't even explain wh ...more
Ian Reay
Slaveship sees Boba Fett deal with the Bounty hunters guild as well as Prince Xizor who will later seek to destroy him. Fett finds himself in the company of a very annoying female - their business relationship makes for interesting reading. Jetter is an excellent writer, makes us understand Boba Fett - his thinking, actions - without giving away any of his secrets. If you like bounty hunters, sith lords and basically villains you should read this book - it will change your mind about some of the ...more
The story is easier to deal with compared to the first book but there's the whole drama with Kuat of Kuat that was rather annoying and I thought, pointless. Also again, jumping back and forth, I really wasn't sure what timeline they were in. How much was flash back, what was "current." I finished it pretty fast but got severely annoyed frequently as well. I especially didn't like the entire family drama / politics story line just to make a connection between one random person and the dancer with ...more
You know what's more fun than reading this book?

Getting hit in the face repeatedly with a crowbar.

After reading the first torturous book in this series, I thought there could be nowhere to go but up. WRONG!!! I could not put myself through the task of finishing this awful piece of garbage. The only person who has managed to piss on the greatness of the Star Wars Universe more than K.W. Jeter is George Lucas himself (post Return of the Jedi).
This series provides a different perspective on the SW universe than the reader usually gets. Sometimes the dialogue in this book dragged on too long, and there was something in the book's description that I waited to happen for the whole book and it never did. However, the last few chapters are really exciting and action packed, and the character Kuat of Kuat turned out to be even more interesting than I expected!
Megan Berryman
I read this for the first time when I was 13ish, and I remember skipping whole segments of it. Now I remember why. People talk in circles, there's a lot of recap going on. I mean, how many times can you hear about Oolas death?

Anyway, this is a reread because I'm reading all the star wars books I own in order. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have dropped this book earlier.
One would have to try pretty hard to have a book about Star Wars bounty hunters and not have it be awesome to a 14 year old. They were the bounty hunters before it was cool to be a bounty hunter.

Of the many problems with the prequel trilogy, one of them is that there is no randomly obscure character as cool as Boba Fett - not even Jango Fett.
This series started to lose me when I realized that Boba Fett was stoic and loner to point of having no personality. Kind of hard to root for a guy who has no friends, life or purpose other than being a bad ass.

Decent action scenes, but when there's nobody to root for it all seems a bit pointless.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
I don't often say this about Star Wars novels, because I am most definitely a biased reader when it comes to SW, but this trilogy just plain sucks. The writing is bad, and the plot is RIDICULOUS. Read the summaries on Wookieepedia, don't bother with the books.
A pretty good continuation of the story, but weak in dialogue and overall doesn't really do an adequate job at going along with Fett's character. Bottom line: it should stick to more story about Boba Fett and less on other minor characters.
Yup, series still sucks. Exactly what is gained by randomly jumping back and forth in time?? And if I have to read one more scene where everyone's situation is recapped, I will throw the book. Oh look...just threw the book.
Typical Star Wars book. The story dragged in the middle. Characters who redeemed the first book, in the series, spent most of the time telling Bobba Fetts story. The book fails because of poor pacing.
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Street of Shadows (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #2)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters (Star Wars)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
Kevin Wayne Jeter (born 1950) is an American science fiction and horror author known for his literary writing style, dark themes, and paranoid, unsympathetic characters. He is also credited with the coining of the term "Steampunk." K. W. has written novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universe, and has written three (to date) sequels to Blade Runner.

* Doctor Adder

Series contributed to
More about K.W. Jeter...

Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars (3 books)
  • The Mandalorian Armor (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #1)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)