Start by marking “Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire

Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars Omnibus #11)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the time between the events in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca attempt to rescue Han Solo from the notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett, while the criminal Prince Xizor and Darth Vader make plans to control, or destroy, the leaders of the Rebel Alliance.

Shadows of the Empire was a multimedia Star Wars event-- a f

Published January 27th 2010 by Dark Horse (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Omnibus

Steve
Feb 18, 2015 Steve rated it it was ok
Terrible writing and so-so artwork makes this a very poor read. Not recommended for anyone except maybe the most diehard of Star Wars fans.
Christopher
Jun 25, 2015 Christopher rated it liked it
I find myself reading these Omnibuses all out of order for a couple of reasons. One is that after reading about Rogue Squadron and some Sith from like 5,000 years ago, I just can’t be bothered with the earlier stuff... and the other is that they don't seem to have been released in any order to begin with. I grabbed this one mostly because it has Leia and Chewie on the cover and I just wanted something familiar.

The first of the three stories in the omnibus, Shadows of the Empire takes place betwe
Michael Alexander Henke
I remember how excited I was when Shadows of the Empire was first released. Up until that time all the books that had been published had taken place after the events of Return of the Jedi. But Shadows took place during the events of the original trilogy, in between Episodes V and VI! After so many years to have something like that was astounding.
They really went all out with the release of the book, treating almost like another movie. There was a videogame, comics, toys, the book even had it's o
Christopher Mcgurr
Sep 19, 2011 Christopher Mcgurr rated it it was ok
I remember when Shadows of The Empire came out and was a big deal. I read the book and I liked it. The Comic adaptation unfortunately is rather forgettable and has little to recommend it. The Mara Jade story was more interesting and had better art. It just flowed better. The final story about Xizor's assassin droid was decent, but the appearance of Han, Luke, Leiah, etc while welcome was not integrated well into the story.
Jaime
Jan 20, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
3 stars for the art and some of the dialogue, but the overall story is 4 stars.

Shadows of the Empire

Boba Fett saying some things aloud is weird bit I understand it's harder to portray thoughts in a comic than in a novel.

I love actually SEEING Xizor and the other Hunters.

Haha Dash!!

Leia looks TOO thin. And old. The sketches and inking are not good for Leia.

This makes me want to reread the novel.

Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand

Mara thwarting Isard was so much fun.

The images in the corners of each
Dan
Aug 11, 2015 Dan rated it it was ok
For those insightful and well-read enough amongst us, myself especially included, after being exposed to RedLetterMedia's superb and incredibly amusing critique of the Star Wars prequels, the revelation was received that the singular germ which trumpeted the very sad degradation and ultimate ruination of the Star Wars series singularly occurred when Lucas released his atrocious, annoyingly unnecessary and retroactively painful, Shadows of the Empire story.

- This the pain of an ex gf/bf becoming
DC
Aug 15, 2011 DC rated it it was ok
I don't get the purpose of the Shadows of the Empire comic. It doesn't have fantastic artwork, so it can't be that. It doesn't tell a coherent story - it skips around like a poorly edited film. It doesn't even hit some of the major highlights of the novel. New characters (even major ones like Guri and Dash Rendar) get no introduction - they just kind of show up, like we're expected to know who they are already.
It short, this was a pretty lame version of a novel I remember liking pretty well when
Jim
May 18, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, 2014-adult
This collection was okay. Shadows of the Empire was decent but it shortened the story from the book so much that it wasn't very enjoyable. The Mara Jade story was good but a little disappointing. The second Shadows of the Empire story was the best. It had an interesting story and the best art. My only complaint on it was Guri's expression never changed. She is drawn with the same look on her face in almost every panel. I think the author might have chalked this up to her being a droid. However, ...more
Sergio
Sep 01, 2012 Sergio rated it liked it
I read the novelization for 'Shadows of The Empire' a long time ago (actually that book me started on the whole Expanded Universe thing). I remember I enjoyed it and the comic was no exception. The plot and the chatacters are interesting, although sometimes a bit to exagerated. The drawings and dialogs sometimes conveyed too much emotion and 'acting' that sometimes got on my nerves. The second part of the volume, 'The Emperor's
Hand' was much better. I really liked Mara Jade's pre-history. It was
Andrew Haile
May 25, 2016 Andrew Haile rated it liked it
The first story I REALLY enjoyed especially The Bounty Hunter, Tatooine and Jabbas Palace scenes. Bounty Hunters are my favorite characters in Star Wars and I really like the artwork in the first story. The only thing keeping it from a 5/5 Star rating is a few panels I couldn't tell what happened easily. 4/5

Mara Jade story I thought was really good as well and I liked the art but not as much as the first story 3/5

The third story was ok, but it was a drag to get through because I didn't care for
Jace
Feb 19, 2011 Jace rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I originally read this series back when it first came out. I was in middle school, and it was serialized in Nintendo Power, which I subscribed to at the time. I'm not sure if it's that the story hasn't aged well or if it just wasn't very good to begin with. This was an attempt to create a new installment of the star wars marketing empire without actually filming another movie. It just felt like filler. Yes, it shows us what happens between Empire and Jedi, but since it had to follow the restrict ...more
Gord
Feb 08, 2011 Gord rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Shadows of the Empire comic portion isn't very long at all and lacked depth and detail. I much prefer the novel for Shadows , so much more detail and it was just better story telling overall. The SOTE and Marad Jade's stories were fun enough , I felt Guri's story was the weakest of the three , I hated the forced humor with the old gang , especially all the Han Solo ribbing. I probably wanted to give this 3.25-3.5.. since Im a Star Wars geek I gave it an uber friendly 4 caz its an easy , feel ...more
Kevin
Feb 19, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
The main story is ok, nothing great. The Mara Jade one rocks though, wow.
Jeff
Jan 03, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
A really well done page-turner. I'm not sure the basis of the story (i remember years ago it was an audio drama or book or something that came out) but the omnibus format put a few different collections together and made it worth my while. Great illustrations too.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Aug 08, 2015 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
I can't remember if I read the "original" Shadows comic (though I know I read the novel) and I know I read Evolution. Goodreads does not seem to have an entry for Evolution on its own, for whatever reason, so let's pretend I read both.
Craig
Oct 15, 2013 Craig rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the Mara Jade story, but the rest fell more than a bit flat in my opinion.

The art for all of the sections was nothing to write home about.
Chris
Dec 13, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
A mixed bag. The story involving Mara Jade was the strongest. Still, none of these stories hold a candle to the Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire.
Shifan
Sep 25, 2011 Shifan rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I thought this Star Wars book was more intresting, this is when I saw Darth Vader appeared.
Katie
Apr 25, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, comics
Leia kneeing the Prince was the best part.
Michael Bloom
May 20, 2013 Michael Bloom rated it really liked it
Shelves: wood-library
great Eu material
Jade
Jade rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jakub Vávra
Jakub Vávra rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Alex Manton
Alex Manton marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Adelina Esquibel
Adelina Esquibel marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Jacob M. Behrens
Jacob M. Behrens rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Bradley  Allen
Bradley Allen rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Christian Bixby
Christian Bixby rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago...., Vol. 2
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 10: Extremes
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Droids
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
Perry has written over fifty novels and numerous short stories, which have appeared in various magazines and anthologies. Perry is perhaps best known for the Matador series. He has written books in the Star Wars, Alien and Conan universes. He was a collaborator on all of the Tom Clancy's Net Force series, seven of which have appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. Two of his novelizations, ...more
More about Steve Perry...

Star Wars Omnibus (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 1