Start by marking “Lights Out Tonight” as Want to Read:
Lights Out Tonight

Lights Out Tonight (KEY News #9)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  875 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Mary Jane Clark ratchets up the tension in her tautest thriller yet.

As KEY News film and theater critic, Caroline Enright knows her opinions have influenced the box office habits of millions of Americans. She has taken her fair share of irate phone calls, and even an occasional threat, from disgruntled movie producers and agents angered ov
Published July 31st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out Tonight, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mary JL
Jun 03, 2010 Mary JL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of light Mysteries
Recommended to Mary JL by: No one
Shelves: mystery-horror
This was a fast, light suspense novel. Nothing really too bad about, but nothing yelled "KeepMe".

It takes places at a summer theater production where a serial killer is at work. Parts were okay, but a couple places were really weak and unbelievable.

It the sort of book where it was a pleasant way to kill a couple of hours, but in two weeks, I won't recall if I have even read it--nothing memorable sticks about about this book.

Recommended for fans of light, easy mysteris, especially if you have any
Joy
Sep 12, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it in 3 hours. Mary Jane Clark just keeps the suspense going, like watching a movie you'll be on the edge of your seat waiting what happens next. This is the first MJC book I've read and it made me want to read more of her books. Her writing style is compelling and fast-paced. I was really mislead, I thought I got the villain right since the perspectives change from the protagonist's to the antagonist's point of view. The story really captured my interest because of the main characters an ...more
Kristen
Feb 20, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, series-thriller, 2016
In Mary Jane Clark's Lights Out Tonight, the 9th installment in the KEY News thriller series, this fast-paced novel takes center stage of an off-Broadway local play. For Caroline Enright, newly married and dealing with her step-daughter's issue, she worked for the local Key News in the Boston area, trying to get her leg up to advance her career. When Belinda Winthrop, a well-known actress to take the stage in a pivotal role for the play goes missing, everyone's a suspect. It's up to the people t ...more
Anne Marie
Nov 16, 2015 Anne Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this fast paced, short chapter book that was filled with suspense. Was the two apprentices who wanted to eventually be actors killed or was it a car accident? Why was the librarian killed? As the book went on, the killer seemed more obvious, the guessing less. Caroline, the upcoming movie critic turned TV news reporter kept the action going with her investigation of what was going on with Belinda Winthrop, the famous actress, the groundskeeper who is dealing drugs, and the artist who is ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Sep 15, 2012 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Caroline Enright is KEY's News Film and Theatre Critic and three months ago married Nick McGregor who was widowed last year and has a daughter Meg. Although Caroline and Nick's union is a happy one, she is finding the relationship between her and her stepdaughter difficult, to say the least. After Meg lost her Mother just a year ago, her closest friend was killed in a car accident recently.
Caroline is off to Warrenstown Summer Playhouse to see a play starring the very popular actress Belinda Win
Janice Cafarelli
Sep 24, 2015 Janice Cafarelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of what happens in a small New England town known for its Playhouse when a sociopath is in the center of the group. You are taken in different directions thinking each person is the killer only to find they may be guilty of something but killing isn't it..Surprising ending but I felt too many details were left hanging and even though I enjoyed the book I felt it needed a sequel to finish the story..
Sheila
Oct 14, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some weird happenings around a local theatre group. A new play starring a big star is opening and the KEY news movie critic is there to check it out.

There is more happening here than first is apparent and when the star disappears the search is on.
Dolly
Sep 24, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of suspense/thrillers
Dramatic mystery/thriller set in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. The story is engaging and kept my interest as I listened to Isabel Keating narrate it on CD during my daily commute.
Nichole
I thought this book was interesting , however it did have some things that put me off. The beginning, took a long time to settle in with the rest of the book , and I just thought it could've been better. The criminal did make sense, which I did like about it though
Jodi
May 28, 2011 Jodi added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting an easy read
Shelves: chick-lit
A little "mind candy" I picked up off the free shelf from the library! I read it quickly and enjoyed it but will probably quickly forget all about it. The book is not a keeper though so I'll be passing it on to someone else.

One odd fact in this book stated one in twenty-five people are sociopathic. Eek! Don't know if that is exactly true but that is a little frightening to think about. When I first thought of it as 4% of the population, it wasn't too shocking for some reason, but once it was sta
Judith
Jun 29, 2014 Judith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too wordy. The plot was predictable and the characters were types. I couldn't finish it and that is rare for me. Save your money.
Dawn Leitheuser
Took me a while to get into this book I have to admit. Plenty of mystery, just wasn't one that grabbed me and wouldn't let go.
Mary Byrnes
Good read. I will definitely look for more of her books. It is definitely written in the style of Mary Higgins Clark and I do like her books.
Carol
Apr 11, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of an Agatha Christie book.....lots of suspects to choose from and a fast-placed story.
Megan
Nov 08, 2012 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery surrounds a small New England town that holds a theater festival every summer. Two theater apprentices have died, as has the town librarian, and a world-famous actress has turned up missing. Can Caroline solve the mystery before her family is in danger as well? I had it narrowed down to 2 potential bad guys, but then was surprised at the end to find out I was wrong!

I've never read this author before, but I did enjoy the book. Similar to Mary Higgins Clark, she writes quick mysteries
Miriam
Oct 05, 2015 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
bubblegum for the brain. mj clark is trading on her her mother's name and reputation.
Sharon Buxton
C. mystery, suspense, from a friend, discard
Gina
Jul 21, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up a Mary Jane Clark book at the library years ago by mistake. I thought it was a MHC book. Anyway, I learned that MJC is really a good author and doesn't burden you with 1,000 characters.
J605
Jul 24, 2015 J605 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives an insight into the TV and theatre with a thrilling narrative. and in the end you feel really good about life.
Diane Wachter
Mar 24, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mary Jane Clark, HB-B, @ 2006, 8/06. Carolyn Enright, film critic, saves stepdaughter's life during film festival in the Berkshires, after other friends are killed by a sociopath. Good.
Teresa B
Feb 16, 2010 Teresa B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
After finishing this I have to say the Goodreads synopsis of the book is a bit over the top. However, Mary Jane Clark wove an exciting tale in this story of a theater critic's inadvertent involvement in a real life mystery. She has done a fantastic job illustrating how "art imitates life" as her characters face similar challenges to the characters in the play being critiqued by the heroine.
Evelyn
Apr 19, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TV critic Caroline Enright's latest assignment brings her to a summer theater in the Berkshires where the new play starring actress Belinda Winthrop promises to deliver rave reviews -- and more than a few bizarre deaths.

Part of the KEY News series, which began with Dancing in the Dark, but can stand alone. Fast-paced & suspenseful. Audio version well-done. Highly recommend.
Michelle
Apr 12, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
This was another easy read that kept me in suspense to the end, changing my mind of who I thought was the killer. Although I enjoy reading books by this author, (this being my 5th read from this series, and one from the Wedding series) I think I am going to read one more, which I borrowed from the library, then take a break and read something else.
Jayson
Dec 30, 2013 Jayson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book. Very predictable. Couldn't get into it. She spends a lot of yapping about the behind the scenes of the news. If you are not into learning about that stuff then most of this book is a bore.

Suzanne
Jul 17, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: Color My Palette - Cherry
Shelves: thriller
I'll give 3.5 stars to this mystery thriller. The action started rolling almost from page one and continued throughout the book. There were so many secrets and subterfuges, some related to the killer and some not, that it was really hard to guess whodunit until almost the very end. A quick, entertaining read.
Sabrina
Jun 10, 2011 Sabrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-mystery
Very easy and fun mystery read. It has a mary higgins clarke feel to it. It has short chapters which kept me reading because the book never slowed down. I was not really surprised at the ending, yes I did not figure it out, but it was not as scary as some that I have read. overall, enjoyable.
Tee Mcdaniel
Nov 24, 2015 Tee Mcdaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good read once I got into it. The ending was a surprise for sure.
Darlene
Dec 30, 2008 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Mary Jane Clark by accident. I had read all
Mary Higgins Clark and grabbed a Mary Jane by mistake.
Good mistake, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Lights Out Tonight.
A suspenseful, page turner.....when I am in the mood for
that genre.
Angie
Oct 17, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I WOULD ACTUALLY GIVE THIS 3.5 STARS. IT WAS BETTER THAN 3 BUT NOT QUITE UP TO 4. VERY EASY TO READ MYSTERY. AN ENJOYABLE LIGHT READ. WOULD RECOMMEND TO THOSE WHO LIKE MYSTERIES. MY FIRST BOOK BY HER. I WILL READ MORE!!
Kristin
Aug 27, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good... Just when you thought who did it, you didn't know at all... At one point or another you think almost everyone had a hand in it.. Then when killer is released you like duh i knew that.. Very Very good...
Madison Mega-Mara...: Lights Out Tonight 1 2 Jan 18, 2013 05:32PM
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Before and Again
  • The Skin Type Solution
  • The Innocents Club
  • Passing Through Paradise
  • Navy Grooms (Navy #4-6)
  • The Laws of Attraction (Rose Cottage Sisters, #3)
  • The Hatbox Baby
  • Dashing Through the Snow
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)