Start by marking “Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)” as Want to Read:
Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)

Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,518 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Felicity is invited to a dancing lesson at the Governor's Palace, the most wonderful honor she can imagine. Mother promises to make a beautiful new gown for her. As the splendid event draws near, Mother becomes dreadfully ill. Felicity spends all her days caring for her, sadly accepting that there will be no new gown and no chance to go to the Palace. No chance, that is, u ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Felicity's Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Felicity's Surprise

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Molly by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
7th out of 158 books — 47 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
can't live without reading a 100 times
15th out of 138 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia
The book I am going to tell you about is "Felicity's Surprise" by Valerie Tripp. This historical fiction book is one of my most favorite series from the American Doll Books. As most girls know about the American Dolls because of their dolls. However, before you read my essay I am going to tell you that I am not telling you about the American Girl Dolls because this is goodreads. I am going to tell you about the book of a American Girl who's name was Felicity. She was born before the American Rev ...more
Gretchen
In Felicity's Surprise, Felicity is invited to attend a dance lesson at the Royal Governor's Mansion during the holidays. When she learns that Elizabeth and Annabelle will both be wearing new gowns to the lesson, she wants a new dress too. Felicity's mother is super excited about this, because Felicity has never shown any interest in have a new gown before. So she buys some expensive blue silk and a pattern for a beautiful gown to make for Felicity.

However, with the busy-ness of the holidays, F
Amanda
Felicity's Surprise is a part of the American Girl phenomenon. This particular series follows Felicity, a spunky young girl growing up in the colonies just before the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. In this book it is almost Christmas and Felicity and her best friend are invited to the Governor's home for a dance lesson. Felicity is very excited about this opportunity and rushes to tell her father. However, Felicity's father and his associate are not as excited as they are rebels against the ...more
Miri
When Felicity is invited to a grand dance at the Governor's Palace, a loyalist family, she's excited to go. A great dance tutor will be there, but as a patriot Felicity feels conflicted, especially with all the work at home preparing for Christmas. When Felicity's mother falls ill and cannot finish Felicity's special dress, she doesn't know how she'll be able to go at all.
Halle Stout
This was a cute book, not as engaging as Meet Felicity or the books in the series but still ok nonetheless. Felicity is invited to the governor's place for dancing, wants a new dress but money is tight. Her surprise is a new dress and doll.
Tara
I am enjoying reading about Felicity's world. It was fun to picture Christmas time back then. I was a little worried how my girls (4 and 6 years old) would react to Felicity's mother being sick, but they did okay. The ending was great!
Briana
I can't believe that Felicity was invited to the palace! I did not like that her mom got sick. Felicity learned to take care of others. Her blue dress is awesome! I want a blue silk dress like that.
Rahmadiyanti
Felicity adalah gadis Amerika di era colonial, 1874. Menjelang Natal, Felicity mendapat kejutan, undangan dancing lesson dari Lady Dunmore, istri gubernur Virginia. Untuk mempersiapkan pesta tersebut, mother berencana menjahit gaun baru untuk Felicity. Namun, belum lagi gaun tersebut rampung, mother jatuh sakit. Kehadiran Felicity di dancing lesson terancam gagal. Namun, Elizabeth, sahabat Felicity dan Ben, anak muda yang bekerja di toko ayah Felicity membantunya. Ben, yang tadinya mengecam unda ...more
The other John
In book three of the American Girls: Felicity series, it's Christmastime and Felicity gets invited to a party at the Governor's Palace. It's an exciting event in a young girl's life, but there are complications. Will Felicity be so klutzy that she will make a fool of herself? Will she look like a frump in her old brown gown? Will health issues in the family prevent her from going at all? The tale is somewhat predictable, but in its favor, the characters all end up behaving with kindness and nobi ...more
Brittany Granger
I am going to do a mass review of all the books in the American Girl series, and then copy and paste to each book when I get the chance. Stay Tuned!
Aubrie
At the end, it was really, really interesting! Her mother got really sick after Christmas and she was almost dying. Felicity was invited to the palace for a dance lesson, but her mother was going to knit her the most beautiful gown to wear, but she wasn't done by the time she got sick. But her best friend Elizabeth told Ben, who lives with her family and is one of her good friends, to get her dress and she and Elizabeth's mother knitted it all the way. And her mother got better a minute before s ...more
Nicole
After attending the Grand Illumination of the Christmas lights in Williamsburg outside of the Governor's Palace, a friend and I began reminiscing about American Girl dolls and about Felicity in particular. Since the books are so short, I decided that I would go back and reread her Christmas story (after all, she's invited to the Governor's Palace!) for fun during Christmas. While the pace was not always urging me forever onward (and perhaps this is because I'm no longer the young intended audien ...more
Becky Keir Grace
The Christmas story in the Felicity series gives a nice look at how the Christmas season was celebrated in the Virginia colony. I had no idea it was such a long and exciting celebration.

Felicity was invited to a special dance lesson at the Governor's Palace and her mother was making her e beautiful gown for the occasion. Felicity began to get her priorities a little backwards and then learns a valuable lesson about the meaning of Christmas.

I love the history in these books. There is a little o
Ruth
Plugging through these with Podling 4. She likes them, but I'm fairly ambivalent.
Audrey Hill
I read this with my mom. It was a story about being generous. I loved it.
Marilyn
This is a great story about Felicity being invited to the Governor's ball for a dancing lesson. All she thinks about is having her mother make her a dress to wear. Her mother gets really sick. Felicity takes good care of her mother while her friends secretly finish her dress. Sweet story. What's crazy is I'm reading this with my two oldest for Liberty Girls and I'm sewing them each a dress (woah Nelly). My mother-in-law cut them out while she was here in December and Myra is showing me how to pu ...more
Eric
Feb 11, 2012 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, light-hearted readers
"The American Girl Collection" is a series of books that any parent would love to read to their children because the authors that write within take great care in making sure they are historically accurate and that they provide a strong moral backbone as well. This particular book shows us that hard work and care pay off. If you want a read that will entertain and drag your young reader into a different time period than this book would definitely be for you and your child.
Karen
My favorite character was Felicity. My favorite thing that happened was that Felicity could get a present that she liked in the first place. My favorite part was that Felicity could be nice to her friend and give her a present and that Elizabeth could give Felicity a present. My favorite thing happened was that Felicity could know what she liked best.

(Annabelle did this on her own. I guess she was in the mood to share "favorites".)
Emmie
It was enjoyable reading this with my Lillian. Thus far, this is my favorite of the Felicity books. We see Felicity struggling with split desires and dealing with what is most important in life. I enjoyed talking through these things with Lillian at her young age and showing her these things through a Biblical perspective as well. These are fun books to read together during school time.
Shelli
Small chapter book from the amazing American Girls series. This one is set during Christmas and New Years in colonial times through the perceptive of Felicity, a young storekeepers daughter. Great book to show the similarities and differences of Christmas times then vs. now. Funny how what is most important in life has not changed in the last 300 plus years.
Michelle
Felicity learns to think and do for others instead of herself.Then great surprises happen in the Merrimans household.
Robyn

So, this was another Felicity book in the AG series I remember reading in 4th-6th grade, & liking, but don't remember much of what happened in the story. This is the one where she has the blue ball gown w/ the reversible "stomacher" panel (in the catalogs). So this must've been the one w/ the "Cinderella" ball elements...
Kristine Pratt
Christmas was very different in the early days of the colonies. Felicity has secret hopes and dreams for the holiday season but those are laid aside as her mother grows sicker and sicker.

A touching and beautiful story about what's important in a time when the world was changing in very large ways.
Alisse
I thought that this book was very good.My favorite part was when ever, Felicity was dancing at the govenor's palace. But it was sad in some parts because her mother had a very bad cough and was burning with fever. Her mother almost died and Felicity almost didn't show up. I really liked this book.
I like Felicity's growth in this book. I also like how Ben looked at Felicity's situation and understood what her father said. If these books continued to where Felicity would be a young lady I would hope that Ben and Felicity would become romantic. They just seem meant for each other.
Anna
Felicity gets invited to a ball ......but Felicity's mother is really really really sick what will happen when Felicity cares for her mother something good will. Maybe her dress will be done . . . will it?
Rivkah.
What I liked about this book is that Felicity tends to do the right thing a lot with out reward and this book shows that good stuff does finally happen to her.
Teri
Liberty Girls/book club activities:
sew something
learn the minuet (or another dance)
make a Christmas ornament (ex. punched tin)
Jen
As always, an interesting look into the traditions of a young girl living in colonial times around the holiday season.
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Felicity (6 books)
  • Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Changes for Felicity: A Winter Story (American Girls: Felicity, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)