Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,747 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In this Higgins adventure classic, an Allied spy operation is suddenly jeopardized just as it's about to discover Rommel's plans for defeating the D-Day invasion.
Published December 2nd 2003 by Berkley (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Harbour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Harbour

Sam
This is a thoroughly gripping WWII pre-D-Day spy thriller that follows the Allies as they do whatever they can to get results and win the war, no matter who gets caught in the crossfire. The first third or so is a little slow as it builds the background and prepares the ground for the mission to come. It is well written and does keep you interested but it is the last two thirds as the mission gets going and things start to go from bad to worse when you really can't put it down. The complexities...more
Lewis Weinstein
This is a fast-paced story that keeps gaining speed until it comes to a roaring climax. There are not often-raised ambiguities in the exploration of whether the means of war are always justified by the ends, and whether the guys on our side are always the good guys. That said, the novel was, in my judgment, a little too quick, at 207 pages. I'll bet Higgins could have improved it a lot with an extra 50-75 pages, giving us more opportunity to get inside the interesting heads of both Allied and Ge...more
Jim
Jack Higgins has been writing since late 1959 but it was 1975’s bestseller THE EAGLE HAS LANDED that launched his reputation. He was born Harry Patterson and has written 35 mysteries and thrillers using the names Harry Patterson, James Graham, Martin Fallon and Hugh Marlow(e) and 25 more under the name Jack Higgins. His most famous characters are Sean Dillon, former IRA terrorist turned British intelligence operative, and Liam Devlin, another Irish gunman, each of whom starred in several books....more
Richard
I went through a phase in high school where I would just read Jack Higgins' WWII thrillers over and over. It's been years since I last picked them up, but I remember them fondly, had a chance to read Cold Harbour, and wanted to give it a crack. Turns out I'd read it before, though I barely remembered the plot until I was probably a quarter of the way through it.

Overall it is a good story. Face paced, exciting, filled with an interesting cast of characters carrying out the ever action packed cloa...more
Jim
Despite all the hype on the front and back covers and the inside first page, you can put this book down quite easily...at least until you get to the second half of the book. Then forget it!! You are hooked.

Never-the-less, this is a very good story. The first 1/2 is preparation for the mission that takes place in the second half. The first half is well written and keeps you intrigued.

But as I said, the second half is pure action and excitement with plot twists and turns. I liked it a lot.

I think...more
Jean Brandenburg
I read the Reader's Digest version of this, I think it may have gotten 5 stars if I had read the full version. It was written a bit in an old style, maybe adolescent? simple? which is why I think the full version may be better. It was still a good story of "spying" and insurgents during WWII. A woman who is sort of "forced" into being a spy for the allies takes it to heart and gets the goods.
Leslie
I enjoyed this book from start to finish. Others have written that the first part of the book is a bit slow; I didn't find it slow at all, but there is certainly less action. Lots of plot twists. The "good guys" aren't all that good and not all of the "bad guys" are as bad as they appear.
Andrea
Cool, old school WWII thriller. Who knew the Brits had captured German planes and ships and had them hidden in a 'german' village on the British coast? Clever....
Bill
Overall I enjoyed this book. It had some spots that seem to drag (not a lot of action). But it picks up at 2/3 of the way through and keeps going to the end.
Neil
I like Jack Higgins and WW2 stories. Always fast paced and exciting. Great story with loads of twists. Classic read and still good today
Lachelle Redd
My first break from horror and not a bad choice. Read many years ago and enjoyed the rush and excitement that the author created.
Leslie
As usual, SUPERB!
I can't believe this guy is STILL writing WWII adventures that have something new to add!
Beth
I remember being a kid of twelve and traveling to my grandparents' house, and this was one of the audiobooks that my mom brought along. I liked the story and checked out the book as soon as we got home from the trip (on account that I have a tendency to sleep a lot while I travel and missed large chunks of the book). I loved it, and that started my Jack Higgins reading obsession for three years. Something recently reminded me of this book, and I wanted to read it again. I liked it just as much a...more
Jim B
Not as absorbing as Higgins' other works.
Andrea Kwast
Not as good as some of his others.
Lee
This WWII thriller follows and attempt to steal Erwin Rommel’s plan to defend the beaches on D-Day. A Frenchwoman whose castle Rommel will be staying at is an English spy but unfortunately she has been driven mad. Luckily she has an English twin that the British are able to send in in an attempt to copy the plans. Quick read and a okay, though a bit unbelievable plot, from Higgins.
Brent
Considerably better than "The President's Daughter". This book was about Nazi-occupied France and an Allied group's efforts at unveiling Rommel's Atlantic Defense Plan for the Allied invasion. Pretty good book.
Diego Armando
Although this is not a first-rate book, it presents wealth of details of WWII, from German uniforms, to weapons and vehicles used in the battlefield, providing a great background for the story.
Tria
Mar 20, 2013 Tria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rick
Feb 02, 2008 Rick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rick by: Gift from Jean. Thanks Jean
WWII spy pre-D-day war zone novel. I found it hard to keep things straight in it but it could be me.
Wilson Lanue
The book falls flat as a laundry list of genre clichés in a genre that should demand more.
David Reynolds
Aug 19, 2013 David Reynolds rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Higgans fans
Liked it fine!! This, however isn't the edition I read...can't find mine in choices...
Wally Mountz
A creative WWII British-France espionage story. Well told with a very good plot line.
Mike Hood
Once again JH kills it! Nazis beware- if higgy us writing about you- you lose and lose!
Ron
A good story with lots of intrigue & interplay during world war 2.
Mary
The book that started me on my obsession with the OSS.
Ray Anderson
Good read; the few drags are easily read over.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: F

Boring, didn't bother to finish it.
Ron
  • Most Secret
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • The Fourth Order
  • The Tightrope Men
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • The Tristan Betrayal
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)