Start by marking “Ralliement (Le régiment perdu #1)” as Want to Read:
Ralliement (Le régiment perdu #1)

Ralliement (Lost Regiment #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,223 ratings  ·  71 reviews
1865, City Point, Virginie. Le colonel nordiste Andrew Keane conduit ses soldats à bord d’un navire de transport, ignorant que leur prochain port d’attache n’est ni au Nord ni au Sud, mais… sur un autre monde!
Une tempête les balaie dans une faille surnaturelle et les expédie sur une terre étrangère, où quelques fusils sont tout ce qui sépare le régiment perdu de l’extermi
Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published June 5th 2009 by Milady (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ralliement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ralliement

Carol Storm
The Union Army fights the hordes of Genghis Khan -- in space!!!!

What makes this work of alternative history so terrific is that it presents the opposite perspective from Harry Turtledove's GUNS OF THE SOUTH. Instead of using time travel to palliate or gloss over the darker side of the Confederacy, this book uses the same science fiction techniques to radically dramatize the nature of democracy and the truly revolutionary ideals of the Union army.

Forstchen begins the story with a premise based o
Joe Stamber
Rally Cry probably falls into the category of guilty pleasure, for me at least. For quite a way into the book, I found Forstchen's writing style quite annoying; if I'd been reading it instead of listening to it I think it would have been even worse!

The most glaring problem with Forstchen's style is an excessive use of dialogue tags. Characters never just "said" anything, and tags are used even in 2 way conversations when it is obvious who is speaking and how they would be saying it. The tag "sai
Mike (the Paladin)
This book "for me" only barely makes the 3 stars for me, but I think that's where it falls.

This is not a new idea (though to be fair this is an older example of the idea). It's one of my favorite "hooks" for a military, a group of soldiers gets shifted in time or space. In this case a troop of Union Soldiers (35th Maine Volunteer Infantry and 44th New York Light Artillery) into an different world and/or universe. There they sort of stumble into a long (and somewhat futile) war with people from
What a swashbuckling fun read! I only did four stars because this was hard to find and the type in the old paperback was so small it made it physically difficult to read. I guess I have been spoiled by my Kindle. This series was recommended to my by Goodreads because of other books that I have enjoyed. It was a challenge to find for a reasonable price, but worth the effort.

There are Union soldiers thrown through a wormhole and they are trying to build a nation while a medieval town is threatened
Rally Cry (Lost Regiment # 1) by William R. Forstchen is the first in a series of eight novels, plus a ninth novel, Down to the Sea, which might be the beginning of a new series. The basic premise of the series is that Union Colonel Andrew Keane and the regiment under his command were suddenly transported to another world via an alien technology -- a world where humans were not at the top of the food chain.

On that alien world, their rifles were far advanced over swords, spears, and crossbows, in
This book has stuck with me for a long time. Great mix of science fiction (other planet, aliens) with alternate-history components (the huge difference technology makes across a situation/culture.)

Well worth finding the series to read if you're a fan of alternate history, '1632'-style, and aliens in science fiction.
Union troops on another planet fighting against orcish beings while surrounded by the backdrop of medieval Russia -- such a combination is hard not to like.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Spoiler Alert! The good guys win!
I enjoyed this book even if it had touches of deja vu about it. It reminded me very much of the "Destroyermen" series I've been reading recently but, instead of US sailors read a US Civil War regiment; instead of Furry Meerkats, read Mediaeval Russians; instead of bloodcurdling all-devouring lizzards read man-eating ten-foot aliens armed with bows and arrows and roaming like a Mongol hoard.
The Americans unselfishly fight for freedom and inspire the Russian peasan
Anthony Ryan
Sheer indulgence for military history and fantasy geeks. Civil War era soldiers find themselves transported to another world where they square off against a Mongol-esque horde of giant man-eating apes. Need I say more?
Joe Moley
Literally the same book as Taylor Anderson's destroyer men series. Like exactly the same story. I haven't looked but either these guys are best friends, the same author or there must be some plagiarism law suits going on somewhere.

Advanced soldiers land in a foreign earth like place and arm an inferior race to fight their horde like oppressors. The only difference is the tech. Rally cry is civil war era, destroyer men is WW2.

It's a good read. I just have a preference for Anderson's series so d
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Amazing piece of literature, incases the reader into an alien world slowly without separating the reader from the main characters. Making them experience the travel, the good experienced the bad one together. The immersion in the alien world is subtle and well portrayed. The event that transpire and trials that away the main characters have the reader glued to their seat
Scott Jeremy Nino Roberts
The book cover is interesting to me that they have a war set in 1880's which is the Confederate War against the North and South Virginia. But in alternate reality, their fighting against space aliens which i think is pretty awesome. I give this book 5 stars.
It was a bit funny how this book was written, but it wasn't too bad.

I suppose the perks would be that it was interesting watching a whole regiment filled with very talented men build up a modern army out of nothing.

I would just have to warn though, that this book has several povs. So if that doesn't float your vote...
Hutch Morzaria
The first book in a series - Rally Cry introduces us to the 35th Maine and the Horde on the planet Valennia. Transported against their will, the 35th Maine in the midst of the American Civil War is transported to a strange and hostile planet ... a planet where humans are considered food!

Really well written you can easily visualize the problems and issues experienced by the 35th Maine and its command team. Something even more easily visualized is the horror when they discover what humanity has be
I have read every book of the Lost Battalion series and loved every minute. So often the books that become series have a thin story stretched to a breaking point over the span of numerous books. Not so here. Forstchen has a big story in a complex world that needs the books he uses to tell it. I never got tired of it. Forstchen brings such civil war knowledge to his piece that it is often a history of the weapons of war in a novel form. Still, his strength is in the power of his character creatio ...more
This book was surprisingly good. I'm not an alternative history fan for the most part, but this book took a regiment of civil war soldiers and dropped them into another world. No timeline rewriting there. I gave it a half-hearted effort and I was happily surprised. This was a very good book - it touched on the reasons we fought the Civil War, it touched on why we fought to be free in the Revolutionary war. Most of all, it let you see all of those reasons and feelings behind the people who might ...more
Kirk Coppinger
Really enjoyable. Enjoyed learning a bit about how the world of the mid 1800's worked. We think of energy these days in terms of electricity or fuel oil in some form, reading about the development of industry without the benefits of fuel oil or electricity was very interesting and made me want to learn about and build many of the things I read about; specifically I want to build a steam engine, make my own black powder and learn a bit about making steel from ore. Sure the drama and battles in th ...more
This was a wonderful read. Very well thought out and executed. Had a lot of similarities to Destroyermen and a similar flaw. The story is about a regiment from the civil war that magically travels to a foreign land. Their are 600 people in the regiment and we get the story of 4 or 5 of them. So the reader never feels the impact of all these men living together and going through this trial together. So you lose a dimension that could be there. Of course if you told that story the novel would prob ...more
Solid "historical" sci-fi/fantasy about a civil war regimen that travels through a portal to another world, populated by medieval Russians (who also went through a portal way back when) and a race of very big sentients use them as cattle.

You see the story through many points of view as is common in the genre. I look forward to seeing a more three-dimensional view of the alien race. They clearly have a complex culture and governmental structure and division of thought amongst the leader class, so
Interesting idea. The author picked a period of time when people had the skills and knowledge to industrialize.
T.b. Schmid
This entire series is fantastic. Brutal, intelligent, stirring and highly original.
Putting period character into different ages allows more flexibility anachronisms but it made a good read anyway.
I read books to be entertained and this one entertained
"Lost Regiment" seriers is something of a classic in its sub-genre, so I had rather high expectations for it. And if I haven't read Turtledove's "Lost Legion" and Weber's "March Up Country", it would have been a great read. But, since I have read both of those series before "Rally Cry", it did feel a bit like a deja vu. Nevertheless, it was a pretty intense read with potential for interesting development in sequel volumes. I'm not yet blown away, but this first volume of the series definitely di ...more
An American Civil War regiment gets transported to a world where a savage spieces comes around every few years and collects tribute in the form of human flesh. Thisseries trods a well-worn path of military sci-fi (a prime example is Jerry Pournelle’s “Janissaries”?), Fortschen does decently well. The first book is not bad, but by the time I got to the end of book three, I discovered that the story was not really going anywhere anymore. There is better stuff than this out there.

Stuart Mackey
I listened to the audio book for this. I love alternative timeline kinds of sci fi. I was afraid to start a new series of this nature, not sure how many books there are and whether I would get dragged into the series if it is still being added to. I was happy that the first installment did not have a giant cliffhanger, but wrapped most story lines up, but still leaving clear space for future installments. Too many series like this the first book has absolutely NO closure.
Brian Turner
An American Civil War unit finds itself transported to a strange new world following a storm in the Bermuda Triangle.

They discover something out of the middle ages, with feudal barons and a zealous church.
Their new ways start to take hold in the population, to the upset of the church, but there is another darker secret no-one tells them about...

Good characters, plenty of action and suspense all the way to the end.
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Weapons of Choice (Axis of Time, #1)
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • Upsetting the Balance (Worldwar, #3)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • 1901
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
William R. Forstchen (born 1950) is an American author who began publishing in 1983 with the novel Ice Prophet. He is a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina. He received his doctorate from Purdue University with specializations in Military History, the American Civil War and the History of Technology.

Forstchen is the author of more than forty boo
More about William R. Forstchen...

Lost Regiment (9 books)
  • The Union Forever (Lost Regiment #2)
  • Terrible Swift Sword (Lost Regiment, #3)
  • Fateful Lightning (Lost Regiment #4)
  • Battle Hymn (Lost Regiment #5)
  • Never Sound Retreat (Lost Regiment #6)
  • A Band of Brothers (Lost Regiment #7)
  • Men of War (Lost Regiment #8)
  • Down to the Sea (Lost Regiment, #9)