Sanctuaire

Sanctuaire

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,484 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Il fallait quelqu’un de totalement innocent pour entrouvrir les portes de l’enfer.
Alice, une petite fille sourde et muette, retrouve soudain la parole après être restée fascinée devant un chêne centenaire. Elle dit avoir été visitée par l’Immaculée Conception et se met à opérer des miracles. Très vite le chêne devient un lieu de pèlerinage pour des milliers d’incurables et...more
Published June 5th 2009 by Milady (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuaire

Andrew
Ok so my horror revival continues - this book (along with the other works of James Herbert) was the next stop after exhausting Stephen Kings prodigious publication list. This story to me at the time was totally different to what I was used to. Where Stephen King concentrated on characterisation and how they dealt with terrible and impossibly situations both physically and ethereal - James Herbert took his characters and put them through hell with all the blood and guts he could find.
** At this...more
Coraline
what an evil little inocent bitch
Ma
David Roberts
I am reviewing the horror novel Shrine by James Herbert which is a very good book which I bought from a car boot sale. The plot is a young girl who is a deaf mute recovers in what is apparently a miracle on land adjacent to a church and there are a string of other apparent miracles. The church initially thinks it's a miracle and decides to buy the land. The young girl claims to have seen the Virgin Mary as well. What they don't realise is in the 16th century people were put to death on the non c...more
Gail Scott
Read this book 1st time aged 13. Have read it about 4-5 since though not in the past 5 yrs. Have read quite a few new books recently so craved a golden oldie. only in a couple of chapters but already enjoying the comfort of a much loved favorite author of mine.
Nick
I'm a big fan of James Herbert's stories so enjoyed this book a lot - but it wasn't one of his best.
The story had a brilliant start and despite their character flaws the main characters are likable and interesting. The novel was easy to read and storyline(s) easy to follow, with enough tension/suspense to keep it interesting. I was a bit bored in the the middle of the book - hence taking me so long to finish it - but the story picked up again at the end. There wasn't enough from Alice's perspect...more
Nuran
Creepy read but very disappointing ending.

Shrine is a nice, creepy and well written read but I found the pacing excruciatingly slow in the latter stages of the book because it's a bit predictable and the story took a while to catch up to my predictions. Nothing was ever really a surprise. But this is an old book, maybe I'd be more suprised if I read this when it was first published, maybe all other books borowed their ideas from this one. But if you're an avid reader or watcher of film/tv, you c...more
Bluejamist
It certainly was a good enough suspense story, though quite a drag to read at times. The overly descriptive paragraphs were at first a wonder (to someone like me who can't write descriptions that well), then ultimately became a bore and a hindrance as they seemed to slow down the story's progress. I understand the need to instill a gloomy setting, thus the numerous references to gray, bleak afternoons and cold, bitter winds, but sometimes it just feels a little over the top. (SPOILER) I liked th...more
Michael
For the lovers of the occult James Herbert's "THE SHRINE" is a gripping read from the first page to the very last. If you loved THE OMEN or THE EXORCIST,this book is similar in regards to story but it delves into the psyche of the non believer and the faithful and as with all of Herbert's books gives us a jolt of the truly frightening.It is the story of a young girl who stumbles upon a field and its sole tree only to be transfixed by the vision of a woman in white...what follows is a town thrown...more
Chris Jay
The Shrine

I could not wait to start reading this book, following the amazing book, (my enjoyment reflected in the long praising review) of The Secret of Crickley Hall . Although, I was rather disappointed. In fact, I could say that I was very disappointed in this book, which breaks my heart as I like James Herbert. The story is very heavily based around the catholic church, and if you are interested in religion, then this story is going to be one you will enjoy. I am not really that religious,...more
Andy
Shrine was James Herbert's biggest novel to date at the time is was first published,and I think it showed in parts as it laboured a bit.Shrine does get better as it develops.Shrine is a far cry from the style of hit you where you live horror of James Herbert's early novels,the rats,the fog,etc but a very good tale of the occult and demonic possession,when it does get going.
Chris Mawbey
I rated this a 4-stars based on my memories of first reading the book, thirty years ago. I still give it 4-stars now, but only just. I always remember this as the scariest of James Herbert's books and I think it says more about me than the book that it no longer has as much effect on me as when I first read it. There are two or three chapters towards the end of the book that still pack the same level of impact but, I think over the years I've become hardened and more cynical about story lines.
As...more
Graham Willis
A decent read but not one of Herbert's best. If you're unfamiliar with his work I suggest starting with the David Ash series before this. It contains a few really good chills and thrills but is let down by too many characters and not enough characterization.
Laura Elisabeth
I do love a good horror, thought this book was pretty good. Really scared the pants off me!! Would recommend to all horror lovers out there
Susan Tan
About a deaf-mute child who claims to have seen a vision of Mother Mary, miraculously cured, and cures others. A tale about evil masquerading as good.

In its core, an exploration Roman Catholicism; poses some interesting questions about the religion, its icons, and faith. Pace : saunters along for three quarts of the book with short, but rewarding sprints for the tenacious reader. Mildly scary.

Whilst the author is lauded as "UK's Stephen King," ardent readers of Steve may find this book as a li...more
Mike
I read this book about seventeen years ago by mistake (I found it in the hotel bedroom on holiday) and really enjoyed reading this creepy bit of writing can still the children singing (lord of the dance)

And I am sure I read a part in this book and a cat was suckling on the girls third nipple did I read this correctly?

I have reread it over this weekend and it's as creepy but this time around I've realised how badly the ending is written, seemed sort of rushed. (but I still give 5*)
Lewis
Another very good book by James Herbert. If I was introducing someone to Herbert, it probably wouldnt be one of the ones I would 1st point them towards, but to fans of the man, it's a must read

Well paced, thought provoking and managing to deftly leave enough questions unanswered to let your imagination work, whilst answering enough to stop frustration, it fulfills all the aims I can see the author set out to accomplish
Shona
I enjoyed this book because it was written well more than the plot(s). I felt there was too much going on, too many insights into characters lives - some of them not important to the story at all. Some parts really dragged for me, as well. Over all a good read, a bit spooky & odd at time but I mainly felt it was a bit of a let down...
I liked it but, it's not as good The Magic Cottage!!
Chris Harvey
Great read (if slightly slow, and perhaps theologically questionable in places (but that's good old "artistic licence" for you). Herbert at his best, and refreshing to read a "horror" novel in a Catholic milieu, and one of true Faith, albeit "warts 'n' all"... (any more would reveal "spoilers")... [note to Goodreads: It's just "SHRINE". There is no "The"]
Keith Larkworthy
A good chiller. Not a classic but kept me reading right up to the ending which was similar to the conclusion of The Dark.
Really enjoyed this book. As I have been reading James Herbert and horror novels for 20+ years I can't understand why I have only just discovered this gem.
Louise
Listened to the audio book of this, wow, it's long!!

Narrator was fantastic, book was good, definitely gives you the shivers but the added sexual elements Herbert puts in to his books grates on me and I felt it could have been far shorter.

Full review will be up on my blog next week.
Patrice Leonard
J'ai vraiment bien aimé le suspens et le style de l'écriture. Je regrette simplement le manque de cohérence dans les motivations de l'entité et une fin un peu trop grandiloquente à mon gout. d'autant plus décevante que le reste du livre est écrit dans la simplicité.
Elizabeth Moffat
One of James herberts best in my opinion! The story of religion, good versus evil and a little girl called alice who is not all she seems. Highly recommended for fans or even those not familiar with herberts work.
Minnie
Het verhaal vond ik niet zo heel boeiend. En komen ook korte tijdsprongen in voor waarin dan dingen gebeuren die niet heel duidelijk zijn. Ik vond het maar wat rommelig.
Cathy Crowder
loved this book. spooked me quite a bit, kept looking over my shoulder throughout. my imagination went into overdrive at nighttime. would definitely recommend.
Robert
I bought this book for a quarter and I was surprisingly pleased. One of the few books that left me walking around in a daze while I read it.
Maxine
I enjoyed this throughout, but found the ending a little weak and disappointing. I have read better by James Herbert.
Tanya
I was a huge James Herbert fan in the late 80's early 90's. Still have the books so must put them on my re read list.
  • Relics
  • The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1)
  • Darkness, Tell Us
  • Midnight Sun
  • If You Could See Me Now
  • The Chalice: A Glastonbury Ghost Story
  • The Hour Before Dark
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his nineteen novels have sold more than forty...more
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)