Start by marking “The Romance of a Christmas Card” as Want to Read:
The Romance of a Christmas Card

The Romance of a Christmas Card

"My door is on the latch tonight, The hearth fire is aglow. I seem to hear swift passing feet -- The Christ Child in the snow." Reba, the minister's new wife, was spirited, vigorous, courageous, and clever. She was also invincibly, incurably happy -- so that the minister seemed to grow younger every year. Reba doubled his joys and halved his burdens, tossing them from one ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Aegypan (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Romance of a Christmas Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of a Christmas Card

Amber
Jan 15, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooksiown
This was a great story about a minister's wife who made two Christmas cards that brought her son and her friend's brother home for Christmas in this great tale of forgiveness.
Colleen Turner
The Romance of a Christmas Card is a quick, sweet holiday read that makes it hard for the reader not to feel festive and appreciative for all the gifts in their life. Taking the reader to a tiny village in New Hampshire sometime in the early 1900s, this story is one of forgiveness, redemption and a powerful kind of love that makes anything, including a popular Christmas card, seem magical.

Reba, the minister's wife in Beulah, New Hampshire, was a model of cheerfulness. After seeing a beautific vi
Elisabeth
Dec 19, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This Christmas story is the very definition of 'heartwarming' and 'touching.' If you're easily affected by the books you read, you'll certainly get a lump in your throat reading this one. Lonely Letty Boynton, who has sacrificed her own happiness and a chance at love in order to care for her wayward brother's motherless children, unwittingly provides warm-hearted minister's wife Reba Larrabee with inspiration for a Christmas-card illustration she is working on. The minister has his own ...more
Sylvester
Jan 01, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was ok
I wanted to read something Christmasy and this definitely filled the bill. It wasn't terrible, but it was too sweet for my taste. I'll take a little grit and gore, or even swash and buckle with my syrup, please!
Masina
Nov 26, 2012 Masina rated it really liked it

This is a quick read .. I gave it a four even though it really isn't my type of book.
Does all this goodness in people really exist ? Bah hum bug !
Maureen E
a sweet but fairly forgettable Christmas story from the author of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Debbie
Nov 17, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it
My first Christmas read of the season. I enjoyed this classic little novella by the author of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. Set in northeast the story of a parson's wife whose two published Christmas cards bring back two young men who left the town most or less in disgrace. They each come into possession of the cards and are drawn back to their town.
Jessica Cramer
Dec 03, 2016 Jessica Cramer rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, adventmas
I had this one pegged as a 3-star before I even cracked the spine. I ended up getting totally engrossed in this little story written in 1915.
Juergen John Roscher
Dec 24, 2014 Juergen John Roscher rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_2011, christmas
I read this short Christmas story, “The Romance of a Christmas Card” by Kate Douglas Wiggins because I read another Christmas story by the author, “The Bird’s Christmas Carol”, which I enjoyed. I think Wiggins is a good, entertaining author from a more principled and conservative era (early 20th century), whose stories depict an old fashion lifestyle that most have no experience with in this crazy, modern world. Moreover, she shares a good Christmas message in her stories.

This short Christmas st
Gale
May 26, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
THE FOLKS BACK HOME....

Two households in a quaint New Hampshire village experience yuletide joy in the 1880's when the handmade Christmas cards of the minister's wife are published and circulated nationally. This simple tale of family loss will probalby not appeal to gradeschool children, since the main characters are all adults.

This slender book spirits us gently back to a simpler time, when two village prodigals have been gone for three years, leaving gossip and grief behind--not to mention
Lori
Nov 02, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
What a charming way to begin my Christmas reading this year! I had not read anything by Kate Douglas Wiggin before, but I will be reading more in the future. The entire story was like a Christmas card; sweet, sentimental, lovely, happily ever after. The parson's wife has always loved writing verse and drawing pictures. She combines the two and sends them off to a stationery publisher. Two of her cards are accepted and shipped around the country for sale. They are seen by former residents of her ...more
Yolanda
Jan 02, 2013 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book -it checked all the boxes for a Christmas read. It was like watching a feel good Christmas film with a weepy ending! I loved it so much I am going to read it again but this time I will savour every morsel.

Loved this:-

'You were born courageous Reba' said Letty

My blood circulates freely; that helps me a lot. Everybody's blood circulates in Racine, Wisconsin.
Yours, here abouts, freezes up in your 6 months of cold weather and when it begins to thaw out the snow is ready to f
Maria
Apr 20, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, in-2012
I read this off of FreeBooks because it took place in December, but there are so many [Illustration Here] in the text that I'm itching to hunt up the illustrated version.

Even if this was a short story, it had quite a few chapters. Despite the fact that it was short, I fell in love with Reba and Letty, and could appreciate David and Dick's choices.

The idea is so lovely, and I half-wish this book had been longer— I could have gotten to know them all so much better had the book lasted longer! But i
Theresa
Oct 31, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
What a sweet story of coming home again. Coming home after a long absence at Christmas.

Two boys who were best friends abandoned their home town for very different reasons. One of them abandoning his twin babies and heaping them on his sister to raise. Such a sad life she lead.

The wife of the preacher, who also happens to be the step mother of one of the boys creates two different Christmas cards and purely by chance each of the boys sees one of them. Instantly they head for home, and hopefully f
Legacy Romance
Nov 29, 2012 Legacy Romance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-releases
New Release just in time for a vintage Christmas! Originally published in 1916, The Romance of a Christmas Card is the perfect blend of humor and eloquence--just what you've come to expect from Kate Douglas Wiggin. The Legacy Vintage Collection Enhanced Edition has been professionally edited and formatted for your favorite e-reader and features new artwork, a glossary, and a very special Christmas poem from James Whitcomb Riley.
Chris
Dec 30, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Surprisingly humorous and sweet story about the residents of a small New Hampshire village called Beulah in the 1880s. The pastor's wife designs Christmas cards which find their way into the hands of two people who left Beulah long ago and decide to come back home, looking for forgiveness and a fresh start.
Debra Torgerson
Jan 03, 2015 Debra Torgerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An nice Christmas read.

A nice read from long ago. I liked the style of writing and found humor in words used that mean other things now. I also see how some things have remained the same, like what causes people's choices to leave their home town and to return. A nice light read. I say give this book a try.
Melanie
Dec 18, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it
I've been in the mood for some Christmas stories. This one takes place in a small town in New Hampshire, and the ministers wife gets a Christmas card to be mass produced. In turn, it draws back two former residents that play a big part in the lives of the subject and artist of the card. It was a nice story, but has a long build up with a quick ending.
Kathleen
Oct 24, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is a sweet, but not very memorable story. It also ended a chapter too soon, and I hate it when books do that! The setting is Beulah, Maine, so it features some of the same characters as Mother Carey's Chickens. I was disappointed the Careys didn't make a cameo appearance.
Elizabeth S
Dec 29, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Long for a short story, but short for a book. :) One of those simple and sweet tales that tells of repentance, forgiveness, and the blessing of giving even when you know there is no earthly reward. A nice magic to it, as well.
Literary  Chanteuse
A very unique christmas story based around a small town and it's array of towns people. A christmas card painted of a scene from this town manages to bring it's former residents back and rekindle the love between them and their families. Heart warming and perfect for christmas! 3.5 stars
Alicia
Oct 22, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xmas
I have a very old, elegant, copy of this, that I read as a child, as did my father, and probably his mother. I like that the story is passed down and shared, giving us common ground and a shared message of love, hope, and forgiveness.
Zen Cho
May 11, 2012 Zen Cho rated it liked it
OK lah, decent enough read to while away a Tube ride or two. Felt very indignant on behalf of the ill-used sister.
Lisa Blair
Nov 12, 2013 Lisa Blair rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A quaint little old-fashioned Christmas story of how a Christmas card calls two wayward sould to their home town.
A public domain book published in 1915
Emily
Jul 17, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
This was a sweet short story about 2 rebellious young men, a faithful young woman, repentance, and restoration. Simple and beautiful.
Felicia (felso)
Dec 19, 2012 Felicia (felso) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one that loves Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Shelves: i-own, kindle
Loved this novella! This was a quick, sweet, feel good read, that will make you smile during the holidays.
Patricia
Jan 02, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A sweet Christmas story with a message of love and making old wrongs right, the true spirit of Christmas.
Lori
Dec 16, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Cute, but I thought I had a defective copy of the book. It ends the night before the couple sees each other again?!
Samantha Glasser
Dec 17, 2014 Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, christmas
Read this book online for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17456/...
Julie
Dec 25, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
A charming, if overly sentimental, Christmas story. Loved the illustrations provided in the Project Gutenberg e-book edition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • Old Christmas: From the Sketch Book
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #3)
  • Touching Wonder: Recapturing the Awe of Christmas
  • Christmas Roses
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • The Christmas Stories of George MacDonald
  • All I Have to Give: A Christmas Love Story
  • Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra
  • Andi Unexpected (Andi Boggs, #1)
  • The Christmas Angel
  • A Little Book of Christmas
  • Christmas at Valley Rise (Miracle at Valley Rise #3.5)
Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin

Kate Douglas Wiggin, nee Smith (1856-1923) was an American children's author and educator. She was born in Philadelphia, and was of Welsh descent. She started the first free kindergarten in San Francisco in 1878 (the "Silver Street Free Kindergarten"). With her sister in the 1880s she also established a training school for kindergarten teachers. Her best known books are Th
More about Kate Douglas Wiggin...