How Good Is Good Enough?

How Good Is Good Enough?

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Surely there's more than one way to get to heaven? Bestselling author Andy Stanley addresses this popular belief held even among Christians. But believing that all good people go to heaven raises major problems, Stanley reveals. Is goodness not rewarded, then? Is Christianity not fair? Maybe not, he says. Readers will find out why Jesus taught that goodness is not even a r...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Multnomah Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How Good Is Good Enough?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Good Is Good Enough?

Edward Waters
I remember Andy Stanley as a tall, lanky boy with curly hair who was active in the high school department of his father's large church when I was in the college department. I don't think we ever actually met, but since I began to hear of his adult self's growing reputation I have had difficulty not continuing to picture him as that same kid with the 'fro. This book may cure me.

In some ways, there is little extraordinary about HOW GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH?, but that may be part of what makes it work s...more
Laverne Ombadykow
The first part of this book discusses what "good enough" is all about. I've heard so many people say that their religion is a system by which they must work to be good in order to obtain a reward at the end of their life on earth. People are frantically working ~ how often do I need to pray? how much do I need to give away? Who needs my help? Have I obeyed enough rules? People are also feeling very guilty because they are afraid that they have not met the standard. Since there is no yardstick to...more
This book will answer questions about eternity and how good you need to be to get into heaven. It leaves you feeling peaceful at the end and personally I felt like a weight had been lifted off me. It is a tiny book that can be read in about 2hrs. If you have questions, this book has answers!
John
Author's observations + Apologetics 101 + Gospel tract = this book. Most interesting part for me was chapter nine "Bad Guys Finish First," which highlights Jesus' gracious treatment of a criminal, as recorded in Luke 23:39-43.
Meghan
Simplistic. Read this at the recommendation of a friend. I found it lacked passion, but maybe I just don't connect with the topic.
Kathy Hogeveen
Great little read to remind you of how we are strong only when we are weak and dependent upon Jesus.
Kim
Jan 31, 2013 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten
I attended a local church with a friend. Her uncle who is a member there gave me this book along with another as a "gift" for attending. I'm finding it interesting. I will post my thoughts when I'm finished. It is a very small short book.

12/7/12 I still didn't finish this. It asks some questions that no doubt many others have asked, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for getting answers. It's interesting, but strange.

1/31/13 I'm officially putting this down to just not going to read. I don't...more
Vicki
Thought-provoking narrative of Christianity's path to heaven.
Luis Chinchilla
La gente buena va al cielo ¿Verdad?

Seguro que sí. Eso tiene sentido.

En realidad, eso no tiene sentido. Hombres y mujeres inteligentes, con educación y competentes depositan sus eternidades en una teoría que no tiene validez bajo el más ligero escrutinio. Es probable que tú nunca en verdad lo has pensado del todo. Sin embargo vale la pena que lo hagas.

Descubre cuál es el error en la teoría más popular acerca del cielo, y lo que realmente hay que hacer para llegar allí.
Ron
This book does an excellent job, in short order, of explaining that God's standard is impossible for man to meet on his own. More important, it explains why no one need wonder "how they are doing" at meeting the standard. (view spoiler)
Adriana
no one is perfect but God loves us is the concept of this.book. Good easy read but it did leave.me.with more questions. Definitely makes you think
Caitlin
I'm actually surprised by how much I liked this book. For years I haven't read it assuming it would be too simple or annoying in some way. When I finally sat down and read it (motivated by friends who agreed to read it with me) I found it to be simple in a positive way. I found it well reasoned and thought provoking. I am also not really the best test of this book whereas I already agree with many of the authors assertions.
Robert McKeehan
The central message of this book is that good people don't go to heaven; forgiven people do. This sets Christianity apart from every other religion or philosophy that requires good deeds to get into heaven or afterlife. It is a great read for anyone who is curious, unsure, or even skeptical of who Jesus Christ is and what he did on our behalf.
Kate Madigan
While I completely disagree with this religious viewpoint, I absolutely respect a good persuasive argument, and I think this author does a good job explaining his position. If I only read what I know I agree with, I would never grow as a person, so I felt this was worth the read.
Dawn Leblanc
Andy Stanley presents his explanation on why the theory of "good people go to heaven" isn't all there is to assuring eternal life in heaven. He presents some good points in a concise way to consider why it is that "good" isn't enough.
Mark
A little born-again tract on the Grace of Christ. A decent little argument on the insufficiency of works and the necessity of Grace. Mormons were, of course, listed among those who believe they can get to heaven by being
Kelly
Feb 23, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Every Christian should read this book and have extras to pass out to people. It's a two hour read. It is about the theory many people have today that good people are going to heaven. Solid reasoning and very easy to read.
Kymberly
This was such a good book.

Merged review:

This is one of my favorite books. I recommend this book for anyone, especially those who are seeking to be good enough to go to heaven. Excellent, short and easy read!
Ashley
I think this book was good. Not one I'd read over & over, but I'm glad I got through it once. Gives you different ways of looking at your faith & the things you do.
Alan
Great little book showing why the grace of Christianity is far better and more fair than the relgious ladders and scales offered by other religions.
Tony
great book for those logical thinkers. Christianity does make a lot of sense. Best is that the book is short and sweet.
Christy Hertz
Sep 11, 2007 Christy Hertz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those seeking answers
How to get to heaven and how to be assured of my salvation. I am blessed to have God's grace, and not my works, to count on!
Zari
Do not despise the day of small things. This is a little book, but very powerful. Even for those who aren't searching.
Brian
a good, short read that asks the question "how good do i have to be to please God?"
Heather
Recommended to me by my stepdad's pastor. Great little book.
Jeff Noble
How Good is Good Enough? (LifeChange Books) by Andy Stanley (?)
Don Gubler
Not very helpful and more than a little misleading.
Christina
Great little book about world views on going to heaven.
Rodney Goff
Presents some good perspectives
Shane
Easy short book... great for seekers.
  • The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion
  • What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women
  • Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
  • The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love
  • Wide Awake
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling
  • Every Young Man's Battle: Strategies for Victory in the Real World of Sexual Temptation
  • So What's the Difference?: A Look at 20 Worldviews, Faiths and Religions and How They Compare to Christianity
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Creative Counterpart: Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You've Longed to Be
  • What's So Amazing about Grace? Study Guide
  • Whatever Happened to Worship?: A Call to True Worship
  • Sunlight on My Shadow: A Birth Mother's Journey From Secrecy to Renewal
  • Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Believing in God - Member Book
  • Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication Deep & Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be