Start by marking “How Good Is Good Enough?” as Want to Read:
How Good Is Good Enough?

How Good Is Good Enough?

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Surely there's more than one way to get to heaven? Bestselling author Andy Stanley addresses this popular belief held even among Christians. But believing that all good people go to heaven raises major problems, Stanley reveals. Is goodness not rewarded, then? Is Christianity not fair? Maybe not, he says. Readers will find out why Jesus taught that goodness is not even a r ...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Multnomah Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How Good Is Good Enough?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Good Is Good Enough?

Honestly? Having been raised in the Christian faith, I already know most of what Andy Stanley discussed in this book. In Part I of the book, which is really more like the first two-thirds of it, he spoke of why the good people go to heaven theory is wrong. For a whole two-thirds of the book, he did not tell the reader the point--that came in Part II. The point, of course, is that forgiveness is what gets us into heaven. This book just had me cringing. Not that what he said was wrong--it was most ...more
Chad Bowers
Following Jesus is so much more than just getting to heaven, but Andy Stanley does a great job of answering the question "How good is good enough to get into heaven?"
Loved this book. It's very short, but within its 94 pages, is one of the best and easiest to understand explanations of how to get to heaven. It's not what you do, it's not what you don't do. It's not whether you're a "good" person. No "good" person goes to heaven because in truth, there is no "good" person. We're ALL sinners. Some of us are just forgiven ones. The way to go to heaven is to accept and believe that Jesus Christ is who he says he is and to repent of the sins and bad choices you've ...more
Edward Waters
I remember Andy Stanley as a tall, lanky boy with curly hair who was active in the high school department of his father's large church when I was in the college department. I don't think we ever actually met, but since I began to hear of his adult self's growing reputation I have had difficulty not continuing to picture him as that same kid with the 'fro. This book may cure me.

In some ways, there is little extraordinary about HOW GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH?, but that may be part of what makes it work s
Laverne Ombadykow
The first part of this book discusses what "good enough" is all about. I've heard so many people say that their religion is a system by which they must work to be good in order to obtain a reward at the end of their life on earth. People are frantically working ~ how often do I need to pray? how much do I need to give away? Who needs my help? Have I obeyed enough rules? People are also feeling very guilty because they are afraid that they have not met the standard. Since there is no yardstick to ...more
A great resource for gently explaining deep theologies of the gospel. Andy writes in a very humble and skeptical perspective that relates to first time readers as comfortable and trusting. He's not trying to fool anyone, including himself. It's a very easy read with some great illustrations! I picked this one up for free when visiting a church and I might order a few more!
This book will answer questions about eternity and how good you need to be to get into heaven. It leaves you feeling peaceful at the end and personally I felt like a weight had been lifted off me. It is a tiny book that can be read in about 2hrs. If you have questions, this book has answers!
Shane Saxon
Stanley makes his point, and it's a good one. But, I tend to think that his oversimplified theology and shallow argumentation often times has worse unintended consequences than it does good. Overall, not a book I would recommend for everyone.
Author's observations + Apologetics 101 + Gospel tract = this book. Most interesting part for me was chapter nine "Bad Guys Finish First," which highlights Jesus' gracious treatment of a criminal, as recorded in Luke 23:39-43.
Simplistic. Read this at the recommendation of a friend. I found it lacked passion, but maybe I just don't connect with the topic.
This book is basically an extended Gospel tract. Since I've already bought what he is selling, I didn't really find it interesting/ helpful.
Kathy Hogeveen
Great little read to remind you of how we are strong only when we are weak and dependent upon Jesus.
Amanda Hunsberger
Well intentioned book, but unfortunately kitschy. Very few Bible references at all & very very poor exegesis. There were a few points that I found helpful & worth considering for unbelievers, but I think overall the book is too off-putting for most to benefit.
Jan 31, 2013 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten
I attended a local church with a friend. Her uncle who is a member there gave me this book along with another as a "gift" for attending. I'm finding it interesting. I will post my thoughts when I'm finished. It is a very small short book.

12/7/12 I still didn't finish this. It asks some questions that no doubt many others have asked, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for getting answers. It's interesting, but strange.

1/31/13 I'm officially putting this down to just not going to read. I don't
Thought-provoking narrative of Christianity's path to heaven.
Very short and just ok.
Luis Chinchilla
La gente buena va al cielo ¿Verdad?

Seguro que sí. Eso tiene sentido.

En realidad, eso no tiene sentido. Hombres y mujeres inteligentes, con educación y competentes depositan sus eternidades en una teoría que no tiene validez bajo el más ligero escrutinio. Es probable que tú nunca en verdad lo has pensado del todo. Sin embargo vale la pena que lo hagas.

Descubre cuál es el error en la teoría más popular acerca del cielo, y lo que realmente hay que hacer para llegar allí.
This book does an excellent job, in short order, of explaining that God's standard is impossible for man to meet on his own. More important, it explains why no one need wonder "how they are doing" at meeting the standard. (view spoiler)
no one is perfect but God loves us is the concept of Good easy read but it did more questions. Definitely makes you think
I'm actually surprised by how much I liked this book. For years I haven't read it assuming it would be too simple or annoying in some way. When I finally sat down and read it (motivated by friends who agreed to read it with me) I found it to be simple in a positive way. I found it well reasoned and thought provoking. I am also not really the best test of this book whereas I already agree with many of the authors assertions.
Robert McKeehan
The central message of this book is that good people don't go to heaven; forgiven people do. This sets Christianity apart from every other religion or philosophy that requires good deeds to get into heaven or afterlife. It is a great read for anyone who is curious, unsure, or even skeptical of who Jesus Christ is and what he did on our behalf.
Kate Madigan
While I completely disagree with this religious viewpoint, I absolutely respect a good persuasive argument, and I think this author does a good job explaining his position. If I only read what I know I agree with, I would never grow as a person, so I felt this was worth the read.
3 stars because I like and agree with the ideas. However, each chapter was so short it seemed more like an intro to a chapter. The book was extremely short for the price.
Dawn Leblanc
Andy Stanley presents his explanation on why the theory of "good people go to heaven" isn't all there is to assuring eternal life in heaven. He presents some good points in a concise way to consider why it is that "good" isn't enough.
A little born-again tract on the Grace of Christ. A decent little argument on the insufficiency of works and the necessity of Grace. Mormons were, of course, listed among those who believe they can get to heaven by being
Feb 23, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Every Christian should read this book and have extras to pass out to people. It's a two hour read. It is about the theory many people have today that good people are going to heaven. Solid reasoning and very easy to read.
This was such a good book.

Merged review:

This is one of my favorite books. I recommend this book for anyone, especially those who are seeking to be good enough to go to heaven. Excellent, short and easy read!
I think this book was good. Not one I'd read over & over, but I'm glad I got through it once. Gives you different ways of looking at your faith & the things you do.
Great little book showing why the grace of Christianity is far better and more fair than the relgious ladders and scales offered by other religions.
  • The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion
  • 12 'Christian' Beliefs That Can Drive You Crazy: Relief from False Assumptions
  • Every Young Man's Battle: Strategies for Victory in the Real World of Sexual Temptation
  • God Has a Wonderful Plan for Your Life: The Myth of the Modern Message
  • Wide Awake
  • Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
  • So What's the Difference?: A Look at 20 Worldviews, Faiths and Religions and How They Compare to Christianity
  • Daring to Draw Near
  • A Woman's Call to Prayer: Making Your Desire to Pray a Reality (George, Elizabeth (Insp))
  • Final Words: From the Cross
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • I Am Not But I Know I Am
  • Making Life Work
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • What's So Amazing about Grace? Study Guide
  • The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said about You, Your Life, and Everything Else
  • Creating an Intimate Marriage: Rekindle Romance Through Affection, Warmth and Encouragement
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication Deep & Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be