Start by marking “Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)

Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga #6)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  9,296 ratings  ·  430 reviews
All of London is abuzz over the imminent arrival of Wulfric Bedwyn, the reclusive, cold-as-ice Duke of Bewcastle, at the most glittering social event of the season. Some whisper of a tragic love affair. Others say he is so aloof and passionless that not even the greatest beauty could capture his attention.

But on this dazzling afternoon, one woman did catch the duke’s eye—
Mass Market Paperback, 365 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Dell (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Dangerous

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
57th out of 2,163 books — 4,089 voters
The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
7th out of 350 books — 550 voters

More lists with this book...

Dina
3 1/2 stars

As the last installment in the Slightly series, this was probably the most anticipated read of my recent reading history. To be fair, I didn't love all the previous books in the series, but I was more than ready to love this one. Why? Because it was about Wulf... *sighs*

As the story opens, Wulfric Bedwyn, the Duke of Bewcastle, is feeling somewhat morose and too old at thirty-five. His siblings are all happily married, procreating and living away in their own residences, his long-time
Juliana
BEST OF THE SERIES and of Mary Balogh; a perfect ending for all of us Bedwyn family fans

Slightly Dangerous is the sixth and final book in Mary Balogh's Bedwyn family series and takes place two to two and a half years (it spreads out over several months) after Rachel and Alleyne's wedding in Slightly Sinful. It is absolute perfection and reading it will make you giddy - and in several locations laugh out loud. I think it's the **best** of the series, which is saying something since IMO often the
Edna
And then there was Wulf.

First off, I enjoyed how the story progressed. I liked that it took place a few years after the previous book. Wulf's had time to stew alone without any of his siblings around. It is reminiscent of Pride & Prejudice. I knew this going in and was hoping Balogh would be able to pull it off. She did. There was plenty of sparks with these two and it was a blast to read.

I had no problem with the first half but I wanted to focus more on the second half where Wulf was set
Rachna R
I'm so happy, I don't know what to say.

I know I missed so much background!Wulf by skipping from Book 1 to this one, but I'm going back to read those, and I'm going to love all of the glimpses I have of him, I love him SO much. There have been so many books I've read about men who "do not get angry", and then they start caring enough to show it, but those men's anger always makes them unlikable and douchey, and I always think "oh, I guess I should appreciate that I'm seeing that they're not tran
Lady Wesley
13 January 2015

I have a Facebook page which I use primarily to follow my favorite authors. Yesterday, however, I posted this photo on Mary Balogh's page and mentioned that it reminded me of Wulfric and Christine.

photo 1a9cd69c-14ac-4312-88a9-d5717544b0bd.jpg

Almost immediately, Mary Balogh her own self responded, "Yes, indeed. I believe it was created for them." Don't you get a little thrill when authors you admire "speak" directly to you?

Then I noticed the stats: activity on my page is up 78,500% in 18 hours. I don't really care about sta
Penny Reid
Really enjoyed this one. This is the first book by Mary Balogh that I've read and I found it to be wonderful.
So... let's talk about the Richard Armitage, shall we?

As soon as I read the description of the Duke, I pictured Richard Armitage. Granted, I might have enjoyed this book so much because of the resultant mental imagery. However, I suspect I actually liked it because of the stellar writing, wonderful dialogue, and the interesting characters.
ChloeLeeNH
Feb 17, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Regency Era Fans
I am rereading this one. I just love it... the very Mr. Darcyish hero who tries hard to keep his Duke face and not fall for the woman who is his exact opposite. I love that he fights and fights for her all the while fighting his own instincts not to do so. That her preconceived notions finally break away. Glad I got caught up again! Wonderful!

Yasmin M
This book is a failed attempt at copying Pride and Prejudice. Seriously, That obnoxious, lusty, delusional and self indulgent loser of a hero just annoyed the hell out of me! I hated him! and what is the point of reading a romance novel if you hate the much coveted hero? What kind of story line is this anyway? He sees her, he degrades her, kisses her, asks her to be his mistress, offends her, then defiles her in like 10 seconds? He could've just raped her and saved us the trouble! And the heroin ...more
Cecilia Grant
It's all in the execution. If someone had recounted the plot of this book to me - stern, unsmiling duke falls in spite of himself for life-loving widow who constantly gets into scrapes and is unimpressed by his dukely ways - I would have thought, "Yeah, I've read this story a dozen times. Spare me the hoydenish heroine and her joie de vivre," and gone to look for a book with some meaty angst.

But the characters are so beautifully drawn, their conversations so interesting, the growth of their love
Nefise
Just wonderful!

It was a great reading. There is a very wise and very simple plot. It's progress and development is well paced. Slowly building romance adn love between h/H prepare the reader very sensual love-making scene which is one of the best sex scenes I've read in romance books. And when they accepted to being together, you didn't have to tolerate some nonsense things just the sake of romances.

I loved a cool, distance duke started to feel attraction for a woman who normally he would ignore
Sonja
Wow, so, this book!!!! If I could give it more than five stars, I would. Also, it's only mid-February and already I think I've found my favorite book I read in 2014 because this was SO GOOD that it'll be hard for anything to top this.

Everything about this book was absolutely beautiful to me. Starting from super awkward turtle Wulf who was lonely and accepted the house party invitation, and then continued to be awkward for most of the book, and so much of the first two thirds was absolutely amaz
Elise Wilson
First, let me confess that I have not read other book in this series, which many folks seem to love. However, based upon the way it is written, I'm able to write a fair review on this one book.

Honestly, I did not like Christine, the heroine. I did like Wulfric, with his Mr. Darcy type characteristics. But it's difficult to appreciate a romance novel when one does not buy into the couple, as a whole. It seems as though Balogh is trying to convince the reader that opposites do,indeed, attract. Chr
Katie(babs)
Slighty Dangerous is more then slightly disappointing. The two main characters are interesting enough but the overall story doesn't have enough to offer. Many fans have wanted Wulfric's story and it seems Balogh wanted to give them that but had no idea on what type of story to give him. We are given a house party for no reason, just to throw him and the heroine Christine together. It seems they just go through the actions without any real emotion.

The romance is very static with very minimal lov
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
First book of the year...REVIEW TO COME

Heads up, I loved this book! so very unconventional and all together relaxing, its odd in how it it really doesn't follow the quote on quote "formula" for a historical romance book. Nevertheless, it packed a well written punch. First Bedwyn Book I've read and the first Balogh book I've read. Any suggestions in the Bedwyn Book series or books similar to this for me? :)

Tai
Jan
Oh swoons of swoons. After rereading it's even better. Totally a favorite now, because damnation, this book is delicious.

****
Original thoughts (June 12th 2011):

My first Mary Balogh and I really liked it. Mostly because it involved one of my favorite tropes, that of the starchy hero who gets unstarched. And it was done really well too, because Wulfric never changed his personality, he just showed Christine the man he was beside the Duke. Seriously, he totally melted my heart. I was also totally c
Brigitte
I was not certain what to expect from this story. Like others, I found the heroine to be a little too silly sometimes. I know Balogh was trying to emphasize Christine's liveliness of spirit, but her shennanigans got a little old after a while. There is also a portion of the story that seemed repetitive and pointless to me (Hero, "Let me prove to you I'm a good guy"... heroine, "No." Hero, "I really am a good guy - let me show you"... heroine, "No". Hero, "Seriously - " ...heroine, "No"). I was b ...more
Nikki
3 stars.

This is my first foray into Mary Balogh and the book's blurb and reviews got me pretty excited so I bumped it to the top of my TBR. I really, really wanted to enjoy it but in spite of a solid beginning it just couldn't maintain momentum.

Firstly, it was just too similar to Pride and Prejudice. The H/h, the timeline of plot events, the proposals. I'm sorry but you just can't do that with a classic like P&P. Besides the fact that I kept envisioning Jennifer Ehle's cheeky eyes whenever B
Anna D.
Oh boy, this might be a long one…

I won’t repeat too much more of what other people have said – that the story line is a very close homage to Pride & Prejudice – including some poignant moments like the love/hate, opposites attract emotions, the proposal, the hero doing some rescuing, and finally the HEA. What is missing, and I’m thankful for, is the jealousy arc in the name of Mr. Wickham. I will state several times how much I love Wulf and my opinion that this couple is somewhat mis-matched
Riddhi
I have to say, I'm impressed.

This is my first review in a long long time. I have gotten really lazy about them, but I really felt the need to share my opinions on this one. Before I picked SD up, I was in a slump. I didn't know what to read, and a book couldn't stay longer than 30 minutes in my hand. For a moment I thought I was going to experience a reader's worse nightmare: not enjoying reading anymore. With that said, I will always be indebted to Ms. Balogh. Now on to the actual review...

Tori
THEY TALKED TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING IS PERFECT AND HE LAUGHED AND CLIMBED A TREE AND I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS!!!!!!!!!!
Jackie
MAP
Note: This review concerns the series overall, not just this book.

Mary Balogh is lucky she knows how to write charming characters and amusing plots. She is also lucky that Goodreads ratings ask you how much you LIKE the book as opposed to how good a book is. In terms of goodness, this series, is really a 1.5 or 2. But in terms of light, thoughtless enjoyability, it's a 3.

The historical setting hangs on by a tenuous thread, and the characters are constantly getting themselves into situations tha
Meg
My heart is so full right now. This year has been the Year of the Romance Novel for me. And what a way to cap off a year in which I finally decided to embrace the genre (though I may read a couple more before the year is out. OR MAYBE NOT BECAUSE I WANT THE YEAR TO BE TOPPED OFF BY THIS?). There was shades of Pride and Prejudice all over the place, but rather than finding that tedious I was delighted by how warmly this book embraced and executed a lot of standard tropes. I feel like the whole se ...more
jenjn79
Jana
You see, she is 30 and she's completely sparkling from the inside because she is very happy with her life but has a dark inner personality as well. And he is 36 and he is a duke and a man. Your grace, my lord, she calls him and then she has sex with him on the grass. It's not that this turns me on, but good books really do. Excellent dialogues really do turn me on, and atypical matching up and when women don't behave how they ''should''.

And he's the first duke that actually behaves, in my small
Wealhtheow
As the Duke of Bewcastle, Wulfric Bedwyn has ruled his family for decades. He is perfectly controlled at all times. And, he realizes, he is desperately lonely. The last of his younger siblings has married and moved away, and his life-long mistress has just died. There is no one on earth with whom he is on intimate terms. In an uncharacteristic moment of weakness, he accepts an invitation to a house party. It is there that he meets Christine Derrick, a poor widow whose irrepressable high spirits ...more
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
Oh, how I love this book.
It was my first Bedwyn and my first Balogh ever. Love at first read, without a doubt.
Now, after I've finished the Bedwyn Saga and most of Ms. Balogh's books, it's still one of my favorites.

Wulf is quite an intimidating figure. Works great for me, seeing how cold, distant, undisturbed he seems. Obviously, I have a thing for that. But, then again, there is something about him that makes you want to... mess up his necktie.
Since this was my first encounter with the Bedwyn's,
Miranda Davis
Boy, are other reviewers party poopers. This is a delightful romp of a story. The heroine is a charming, vivacious widow. The hero is an upright, uptight, remote prig with a surprisingly romantic soul. I think this book and the author captured for me what I imagine happened to the head of a noble family who must exercise authority over resentful siblings and do his duty. Except he will not marry or try to have an heir for his own reasons.

He is burdened by his obligations, does what's right not
Cheryl
I have absolutely adored this series and this was the perfect ending for it! 5++++++ stars!!!

Ever since being first introduced to the Bedwyn family I have been dying to read the dukes book and it was not a disappointment. At all! Wulfric Bedwyn, duke of Bewcastle, is a brooding, icy, Mr. Darcy-ish type of man.

Christine Derrick is a fun, laughing, life-of-the-party kind of woman and exactly what Wulfric needs to remind him that there is a man behind that title after all.

I loved this book, I loved
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • The Rake
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Untie My Heart
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

Bedwyn Saga (8 books)
  • One Night for Love (Bedwyn Prequels, #1)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3) Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)

“And infatuated be damned. He was near to being blinded by his attraction to her. He was in love, damn it all. He disliked her, he resented her, he disapproved of almost everything about her, yet he was head over ears in love with her, like a foolish schoolboy.
He wondered grimly what he was going to do about it.

He was not amused.

Or in any way pleased.”
27 likes
“I would be consumed by you,' she said, and blinked her eyes furiously when she felt them fill with tears. 'You would sap all the energy and all the joy from me. You would put out all the fire of my vitality.'

'Give me a chance to fan the flames of that fire,' he said, 'and to nurture your joy.”
18 likes