The Gospel of Mary of Magdala

The Gospel of Mary of Magdala

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Lost for more than fifteen hundred years, the Gospel of Mary is the only existing early Christian gospel written in the name of a woman. Karen L. King tells the story of the recovery of this remarkable gospel and offers a new translation. This brief narrative rejects Jesus' suffering and death as a path to eternal life and exposes the view that Mary Magdalene was a prostit...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Polebridge Press

Debbi
Karen King begins with the translation of the Gospel of Mary of Magdala which was found in Egypt. The first 12 pages of the Gospel are missing, and what is there begins in the middle of a conversation between Mary and the Savior. It moves on to Mary comforting the Apostles after Jesus' crucifixion and from there to a dialog in which Peter asks her if she can give them any information which the Savior might have communicated to her. She does, but after telling them what she and Jesus talked about...more
Mary
This is a fantastic book that discusses the various texts of the Gospel of Mary that have been found over the years. From the most complete dated to the 4th Century, to the fragments dated much earlier and situated in the early 2nd Century.

King situates the texts side by side for easy reference, and there are photographs of the original texts for those who wish to see them in their original languages.

King argues that scholarly opinion that the gospel is Gnostic in origin is not to be taken for...more
Francine
This was easy to read and interesting as well. The author elaborates (as much as scholars have now been able to uncover) on the life of Mary of Magdala. All the facts are probably lost to time and history but this book makes a credible argument for how women went from equal partners in the new way to a greatly reduced role by the time the faith journey became Roman Catholicism.

I've read a bit about Mary and would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in or a devotion to the Apostle...more
CD
Modern theological writing that is well done.

Karen King expounds well on this well known but little understood part of the apocryphal works.

Like so many of the 'missing' parts of the Christian literature that were excluded, censored, or suppressed, the Magdalene gospel doesn't change much. But it does open a realm of discussion and changes the underlying nature of that discussion regarding the role of women in the traditional (read traditional as Orthodox and/or Roman) Christian church.

King, t...more
Toni Daugherty
Why did the men at the council of Nicea decide not to include this well known gospel when they constructed the bible? Was it the final attempt to disenfranchise women? Was it another way to keep Mary out of the preisthood? Mary, according to Jesus, was his most devout follower and most trusted diciple. Why was she left out? This gospel is all about Jesus' first woman apostle and his most loyal and trusted companion. Many have argued that she was to carry on his teachings, as she was his best stu...more
Katy
I liked the book. More then simply analizing the text of the gospel I think she does a good job of putting it all in context of the early church.

I was fortuniate enough to get to hear the the author give a lecture on Mary Magdalen and the church, and I have to say that I really liked her. So that is why I give this one 5 stars instead of 4.
JoNel
If you are interested in early non-canonical writings, you may find this interesting. Gives a lot of background on the philosophy of Plato and Stoicism and their influences on early canonical and non-canonical Christian writers. Not an easy read-the author is Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Harvard Divinity School.
Kristin
Triggered by discussion at Bible study when discussing another book I’m currently reading, "Evolution of the Word: reading the New Testament in the order it was written" by Marcus Borg, which is fascinating in itself, we discussed how the Bible was put together, thus, leading to books that “didn’t make it.”
Alicia
This was a very interesting book with some different ideas about the kind of teacher Jesus was. I found it amazing how little of Mary's Gospel we actually have. Most of the book was about her gospel. I think it is a great book for anyone interested in learning about Jesus through more than just the Bible.
Rose
Pros: Well researched. Well annotated. Scholarly, yet readable from a layman's perspective. Imformative regarding first through third century Christianity.

Cons: Too often redundant regarding concept of sin, the antagonism of Paul, and the role of women in early Christianity.
R.J.
These gospels that were not included in the Canon are very interesting in what they show about conflict within the early founders of the Christian church. There was not just one interpretation to what Jesus of Nazareth said--fascinating and glad we can finally read these books.
Lisa Lavelle
Reading the Magdalene Line by Kathleen McGowan piqued my interest in finding out more about Mary Magdalene (and the role of women in religion)... and other aspects of the history of early Christianity.
Analisa
This was an extremely interesting read. The author provided a lot of historical context for the gospels and provided an excellent picture of how the Early Christians struggled to form a church.
Jana
I didn't read all of the theological history and academia in the back of the book, and so much of me is sad to think of the rest of the gospel that is lost, but this is a real treasure.
Wendy
Interesting - wish the whole book of Mary was intact.

I'll spare you all my gospel thoughts and speculations but I'm looking forward to the day when all will be revealed.
John
I really really enjoyed this book - puts a new perspective to my childhood early religious understanding of Mary Magdala
Todd Settimo
A very competent, academic treatment of this most compelling of gnostic gospels. I prefer the Leloup translation, however.
Jimmie L.
New source material on writings of the first century not accepted by the Church as canonical.
Jamie Holloway
A different look at Jesus and his relationship as teacher and savior.
Lindsay
Written by my first college advisor. Super interesting discussion and history.
Nancy
Interesting and lots of help in how to use early texts.
Ronnie
Intersting, not a page turner, but good history.
Shelly Nicholson
Too deep for a beach read.
Erika
teaches you how to die....
Anni Kössi
Anni Kössi marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Teardrop Robson
Teardrop Robson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • The Gnostic Bible
  • The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
  • Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • A New Christianity for a New World: Why Traditional Faith is Dying & How a New Faith is Being Born
  • The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail
  • Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
  • The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • Alone of All Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary
  • Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament
  • The Meaning of Mary Magdalene: Discovering the Woman at the Heart of Christianity
  • In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins
Reading Judas: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity What Is Gnosticism? The Wedding Affair (Dueling Pistols, #2) The Secret Revelation of John Images of the Feminine in Gnosticism