Start by marking “The Lion (John Corey, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Lion (John Corey, #5)

The Lion (John Corey #5)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  17,575 ratings  ·  898 reviews
In this eagerly awaited follow-up to The Lion's Game, John Corey, former NYPD Homicide detective and special agent for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force, is back. And, unfortunately for Corey, so is Asad Khalil, the notorious Libyan terrorist otherwise known as "The Lion."
Last we heard from him, Khali had claimed to be defecting to the US only to unleash the most horrific re
Published June 8th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing

Plum Island by Nelson DeMilleThe Lion's Game by Nelson DeMilleNight Fall by Nelson DeMilleThe Charm School by Nelson DeMilleThe Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille
Top Nelson DeMille Books
8th out of 39 books — 104 voters
Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Action-Adventure Novels
120th out of 1,026 books — 1,323 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
The following is a transcript of a phone intercept recorded June 8, 2003. The first subject is John Corey, former NYPD detective and current contract agent for the FBI & NYPD’s joint Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The second subject is Asad Khalil (a/k/a The Lion), currently wanted internationally for multiple acts of terrorism and murder.

John Corey: Hello.

Asad Khalil: John, it’s Asad Khalil. Do you remember me?

JC: Asad! How could I forget? You killed more people than cancer when you got inside
StoryTellerShannon
This book is awesome. If only all fiction flowed this fast then truly would I be in Heaven. Step into the world of John Corey, all time smartass NYC detective who has a quip for every moment and who seems to always manage to solve the most difficult of cases. We were first introduced to him in PLUM ISLAND in which he was recovering from three bullet wounds and on disability leave. Of course, Corey can't keep his nose out of things like any good detective and goes on to investigate a matter relat ...more
Eileen Granfors
Nelson DeMille brings back his brash, bad-boy cop (Federal Agent, former cop) John Corey in this sequel to "The Lion's Game." Corey has been the voice of five other novels, and DeMille seems to have him down to a t.

returns back from "The Lion's Game" in which he escaped Corey and company last time. Now Khalil has unfinished business: he intends to kill all the pilots involved in the US bombing of Libya and all those involved in trying to prevent his mission. Asad is a sadustic opponent, with a c
AH
If you haven’t yet read The Lion's Game, you really should read it before you read this book. You don’t have to, but it will be a much more satisfying read if you do. The Lion continues the story of John Corey, a New York City homicide police officer who is now working on the Joint Terrorism Task force and his nemesis the uber-terrorist and all out psychotic scary guy, Asad Khalil.

At the end of The Lion’s Game (sorry for the mild spoiler) John and Khalil have a standoff. They both vow to kill ea
Wanda
I ordered this to listen to on a trip to visit my kids. I'm chagrined that I wasted the time to listen to this catastrophe of a book. The story is predictable, there is no character development, and no suspense. It is the literary equivalent of reality TV.
This is a tiresome and dated book with the usual prototype smart-alec protagonist oozing with testosterone and whose mouth and sarcastic repartee got on my nerves as did his extreme vulgarity. I mean, I am all for realism, but people - at leas
Sue
Nelson DeMille’s latest effort "The Lion", combines humor and violence with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

The Lion is the sequel to DeMille’s The Lion’s Game, published in 2000, which pitted retired NYC Detective John Corey against Libyan terrorist Asad Khalil, also known as The Lion. In this second installment, Khalil is back in the US three years after his last confrontatio
Sue
Giovanni Gelati
Right from the start I just want to say that this novel ROCKED for me. John Carey is a fun character and I am glad to have discovered him finally. I know, where have I been and why haven’t I read his work before? Chalk it up to one of life’s little mysteries. I have seen the movie The General’s Daughter and enjoyed it; I have the novel on my- to read- list now. The beauty of the whole thing is that this is what I enjoy about the different websites we are a part of, finding new stuff to read, the ...more
Armin Hennig
Rauferei auf Ground Zero

Was für ein Schmarren, über den fragwürdigen Inhalt und die alles andere als zufriedenstellende Gestaltung haben sich ja schon genügend enttäuschte Fans ausgelassen.
Da ich das, anscheinend virtuose, „Spiel des Löwen“, das diese Pflichtfortsetzung bei public demand geradezu provoziert hat, nicht kenne, sollte sich mein Entsetzen eigentlich in Grenzen halten. Aber schon der Qualitätsabfall innerhalb des Buches ist geradezu erschütternd.
Hat die aus dem Ruder gelaufene Besch
Tim Chamberlain
Written for the KAZI Book Review (http://kazibookreview.wordpress.com/):

Nelson DeMille’s latest effort combines humor and violence (not necessarily in that order) with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

Dorsi
This is my favorite in this series! I absolutely LOVED this one. As I have stated in my reviews from other books in this series, I have read these completely out of order. That is not the norm for me. I have one more to read in this series. I hope that DeMille writes more of these because I cannot get enough of John Corey. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. Great plot, great characters (good guys & the scariest, most psycho villian), & excellent style. Fantastic delivery by ...more
Barbara
Another fabulous book by DeMille. I wish he published a book every week. I just can't get enough.
Jay Connor
In a summer of great, long awaited sequels (at least 10 years from original) -- see my reviews of Linda Greenlaw's "Seaworthy" and Scott Turow's "Innocent" -- Nelson DeMille's sequel to the 2000 "The Lion's Game" (reviewed earlier this summer), is a brutal disappointment.

In fact, "The Lion" only got its second star because of a wonderfully written, over the top, original skydiving scene.

Much of what served DeMille so well in the first installment failed or was dropped in this go 'round. The 200
Jane Stewart
Disappointing sequel to The Lion’s Game.

The only value is to satisfy your curiosity if you read The Lion’s Game. Do not read this as a stand alone.

There were three action scenes in the beginning of the book with Asad killing people. Then the huge middle section of the book felt like filler. Too wordy with political ponderings. Too much internal thinking and monologuing. Too much repetitive thinking about past events. Finally we get some action toward the end.

This book would have been better if w
Diane
Asad Khalil (aka "The Lion"), the ruthless Libyan terrorist who menaced ex-NYPD cop John Corey in The Lion's Game (2000), returns to the U.S. 18 months after 9/11, bent on finishing old business in DeMille's fast-paced fifth John Corey thriller (after Wild Fire). In Los Angeles, Khalil dispatches the last of the eight American pilots who dropped the bombs that killed Khalil's family in the historic 1986 raid on Tripoli. In New York City, a daring encounter with Corey, a member of the federal Ant ...more
_yay_
John Corey is back and has unfinished business with terrorist Asad Khalil. Fans will know him from DeMilles The Lion's Game. One has to get used to all the testosterone, but will quickly enjoy Corey mouthing off on everyone and everything. I was constantly laughing out loud or the very least shaking my had in amusement. Witty dialogue! Please keep the soap away from Corey's mouth a while longer because I enjoyed this book a lot. 5 stars for this entertaining read!

Now, I've read some of the other
Gerald Sinstadt
Having read four previous John Corey novels, I didn't need much persuading to like The Lion's Game. DeMille's practice of counterpointing violent and often evil events with his protagonist's weakness for the flippant wisecrack is not an easy trick to pull off, but he is able to make it work. Unsurprisingly, some of the jokes are better than others ("Have you experience of terrorism? I was married.")

It is a pity that other reviewers have divulged rather a lot of the plot; suffice it to say that,
Melissa
I do like the way Nelson DeMille writes his main characters. John Corey is a snot. He's sarcastic, he's rude, he's basically a brat. While I don't love his as a character in the "he's just so loveable" sense, I am so impressed with the way DeMille commits 100% to the personality of this caracter. He doesn't just bring out the sarcasm in the dialog when Corey talks, but it is throughout his actions, his thinking - there is no doubt in anyones mind of Corey's character. I appreciate that about DeM ...more
Alison
Candace LaRotonda
The Lion

Great book.doesn't need the foul language and for goodness sake why do so many good guys have to die? Definitely worth reading.
Kathryn
Another great John Corey book. This is only the second one that I have read but I loved it. I have read Wild Fire, but not The Lion's Game, which introduced the terrorist seen in this book. However, DeMille updates the reader on what happened in The Lion's Game, so I didn't feel lost at all while reading this book. I picked up one of these books at a charity sale, and the other one out of a bargain. What a great deal! Would love to read more of John Corey, and Kate, too. The subject matter is ve ...more
Blake
I too received an advance copy of this book, before it was released. I enjoy all of this authors works, but mostly his earlier works. Sadly, I feel he is resting a bit on his well earned laurels. The book read like it was almost an afterthought, with very little new character development and almost no plot twists. It was a nice read, but more of a palate cleanser than the satisfying meal which this author is capable of delivering. I long for the likes of The Charm School, The Generals Daughter, ...more
Iris Hatt
Loved this book. Just what you'd expect from DeMille.
Richard White
Murder and mayhem mixed with wit and humour. This series is best read in order.
Raymond
This novel first involves John Corey and his wife in a sky diving event in the Borscht Belt of the Catskills near where we lived in Ulster County of New York State although "The Lion" had already wreaked havoc out of the Santa Barbara airport in California.
I continue to enjoy the caustic humor of John Corey and appreciate he and his wife's triumphs out of devastating catastrophes!
Gerard Masilang
The Lion's Game was the first John Corey book I've read and this story is easily one of my favorite novels. The sequel to the original Assad Khalil delivered everything I expected and even a little more. The skydiving scene and the final 2 chapters were absolutely insane. I like how Demille kept the reader on edge as the characters waited for the lion to strike.

I'm glad Boris played a significant role in this story because he is the cool evil Russian KGB version of John Corey. His encounter with
Marcus
Under normal circumstances I'd say that 'The Lion' pretty good thriller. The thing is though that its predecessor - 'The Lion's Game' - is one of the best thrillers I've ever read. My expectations on this book were therefore very high and I'm sorry to say that this time around Mr. DeMille failed to deliver.

There are two main reasons why I feel let down by this book. My disappointment is mostly caused by the fact that there was a clear-cut path for a follow-up to 'Lion's Game' and the author took
Emily
Really enjoyed this one, as has been the case with the rest of the series. There were a few gruesome scenes described in detail that I would have skimmed through a little faster had I been reading this instead of listening to the audio book. John Corey is such a badass.
Linda
Love Nelson DeMilles dry wit and fast-paced action.Reading this book was like watching a scary movie,I'd slam it shut,get up and walk around a little to get my courage up...the start reading..Couldn't put it down for too long.
Betty
Listened to this as an audio book and the reader was excellent. He brought John Corey to life just the way I had imagined him. The story was fast paced and I was glad to see the end to Asad. Now onto The Panther.
DeMille, Nelson 13 84 Apr 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • The First Rule (Joe Pike, #2)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • The Hunted
  • Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher, #15)
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...

John Corey (7 books)
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Night Fall (John Corey, #3)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
The General's Daughter Plum Island (John Corey, #1) The Charm School The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2) The Gold Coast

“It's really scary when you have a moment of temporary sanity.” 22 likes
“…made me promise to cut down on the drinking and swearing, which I have. Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.” 19 likes