Start by marking “Think Again” as Want to Read:

Think Again

Make sure that your heart
Isn't too well-defended.
Your heart is designed
To be broken and mended.
--- ?The Heart?

These quietly beautiful and surprisingly humorous four-line poems reveal the many aspects of first love --- the longing, the frustration and the joy. The poet writes not from a single point of view but instead embraces the duality of first love, alternating bet
Published March 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Think Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Again

Brooke
Aug 17, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it
It might be short and written in clear, concise language, but JonArno Lawson’s Think Again is anything but simple. In a few short poems, Lawson manages to convey humor, heartbreak and angst. He explores the ideas of relationships with parents and friends and teen romance. But here’s the thing: there’s something about it that was incredibly poignant to me. One of my favorites, “Dried Out Water,” says: There’s dried out water in my shoes/My head is bouldered in by blues/I feel unable to amuse/The ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Jan 11, 2011 Diane Ferbrache rated it really liked it
I rarely read poetry. It's not that I dislike it, I just never think to pick up a book of poetry. So on the occasion that I'm give a poetry book to review, I'm probably not the best critic. But I really liked this book, and I think others will too.

It's a collection of short poems (quatrains) about love and life, illustrated with line drawings. The poems range from humorous to sweet to deeply philosophical. The poems are nicely done, meant to be shared, and the illustrations match the minimalist
Ellen
Dec 28, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
I loved the artwork and the poems were honest and frank. If you want to delve into the mind of a teenager, this is your book. It spoke to my once-a-teen self and I really enjoyed the poetry!
Katie
Dec 15, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
This YA book of poems tells the story of two characters and the uncertainty that permeates their lives. Each of the 4 line poems works with the illustrations to complete the narrative seamlessly.
Hweeps
Jun 12, 2011 Hweeps rated it it was amazing
Okay, I thought this was totally amazing and wonderful. I, like Diane Ferbrache, hardly pick up any poetry to read. I like poetry, and I like to think of what I sometimes write as poetry, but I just don't read poetry (much). So it was a pleasant find for me when I found Think Again in the library. I was supposed to be studying, but whatever. It wasn't a long book, thick and difficult to get through. It was instead, astonishing, and so simple and .. effective. It touched me, and I found myself sa ...more
The Book Sale Scrounger
Actual rating) 3.5

Now, let me start off by saying that there are definitely some beautiful pieces in here. Poems come in all shapes and sizes, and I am not one to harumph and haw at poets whose writing styles do not match the image of a stereotypical "poem". And I can definitely say this books presents more hits than misses. Consequently, when a poem fell flat for me, it stuck out like a broken thumb. Now, then again, this is coming from someone who spends a lot of time each week analyzing/writi
Jessica B
Feb 21, 2014 Jessica B added it
Shelves: poetry

Think Again is a 62 page book of 4 line poems. I'm pretty sure I read it in about ten minutes. It leaves a sort of bittersweet feeling in you. There wasn't a poem in the collection that I didn't enjoy.

Think Again is about growing up; filling in those cracks of yours with what feels right, and finding out what feels right, and how to find out what feels right. It perfectly condenses all of these fears and rushes that comes with the territory.

It's also about
Ariel Gordon
Jun 21, 2010 Ariel Gordon rated it really liked it
It has been two years since the animal lipograms in JonArno Lawson's A Voweller's Bestiary had (adult) audiences at the Winnipeg International Writers Festival rolling in the proverbial aisles.

Lawson's new children's book, Think Again (Kids Can Press, 64 pages, $19), adopts the quatrain form, something that will be familiar to smart, moody teenagers reared on Shel Silverstein and Dennis Lee.

Choked with illustrations by Vancouver artist Julie Morstad but given more than enough room to breathe by
Lara
Apr 23, 2015 Lara rated it it was ok
I wanted to see what JonArno Lawson's poetry was like because I love Sidewalk Flowers so much--there are no words in that book, and yet JonArno Lawson is listed as the author because the illustrations are based on a poem of his? Or something? It seems weird, but anyway, I wanted to see what something of his with words is like. And...meh. All the poems in this collection are super short and super simple. Like the shortest Shel Silverstein poems, but without nearly as much humor. There were a coup ...more
Rachel
Jun 28, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: edes-546, mature
Lawson, JonArno. (2010) Think again. Toronto: Kids Can Press.

Think Again is an enchanting and intriguing book of poetry written in four line verse. This is definitely a book of poems for teens and though all of the poems are only four lines long, each is very meaningful. The poems follow two characters through a love story.

I thought this compilation of poems was very well done. There were poems that were meaningful to me – especially for the workload I am facing. This quote is from one called Up
Kricket
Jun 11, 2010 Kricket rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, 2010, poetry
this is a fun little book of poems with teen appeal. the poems, though thought-provoking, were a little vague for my taste, but the illustrations were just so lovely. the artwork also ties the poems together in a way that i wouldn't have picked up on otherwise. i want to wallpaper my office in the illustrations from this book!

but i do have a favorite passage:

"It's pleasant to read in a darkening room
where no one at all can intrude:
A cookie and tea and a cat on my knee
while shedding a poisonous m
Mchyla
Jan 29, 2016 Mchyla rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-i-like
Really easy to get through, I read it in about 10 minutes (probably could have done it in less, but I wanted to let the poems have there full impacting by reading them fairly slowly), but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth it. I really liked it.

"I try to leave all thoughts behind me,
but they always know.

They start to search and start to find
me everywhere I go.

Is being thoughtless such a crime?

My thoughts seem to think so."

I'm a big sucker for poetry writers who can impact me with such short poem
Nicole
Jan 26, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: emo-tweens who willingly suck the emotion out of anything
Shelves: ya, poetry
Just to be clear, I love Jon Arno. He has the integrity of Doug Florian and the dark wit of Shel Silverstein. But I did not love this collection nearly as much as his others.

_Think Again_ tries to sell itself as a cohesive story but I don't think it should be considered a narrative. It's more of a themed collection than a chronological story, no matter what the flap copy says.

Here's a taste of the generic trying to be specific love-issue poetry:

What I Saw
I saw that you grasped it/ and knew why y
Joyce
This book is a collection of short rhyming poems about meeting someone, liking/loving someone, and the angst that goes with it. I thought it was interesting that it reads like a poetic conversation between two people, and some of the poems sound like they could be song lyrics. This may be more appealing to middle school and high school students, but I am using it in a 5th grade book talk about song lyrics.
Danielle
A couple of great ones from this little book of poems illustrated by one of my favorites:

Think Again

Eventually a thought will come
But no one can say when:
If you think thinking's easy,
Think again.

Eggs

Don't put all your eggs
in one basket!
But what if there's only one basket?
Good question!
(I'd hoped no one would ask it...)
Nancy
Apr 08, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok
Love the quiet line drawings. Love the contained poetic form. Intrigued by the hint of narrative. But alas, none of it hangs together. Except for in very few, the voice in the poems does not feel as if it could come from these teens. It has too much distance, sometimes too much sagacity. The rhymes are fun but it is like a limerick tried to squeeze into some haiku pants.
Steven Buechler
Mar 15, 2015 Steven Buechler rated it it was amazing
Think Again by JonArno Lawson and illustrated by Julie Morstad is an excellent reflection of teenage fears, angst and desires. ‘Not too wordy’ and ‘not to preachy’ it allows the adolescent mind to carefully ponder themselves in this complex world. A great piece of literature.

Janessa
Mar 09, 2012 Janessa rated it really liked it
This is a poetry book that has short poems but the poems really make you think. Some of the poems will remind you of that teenage innocence that you once had. So maybe this would be a good book to do a poetry unit for middle school.
Jillian
Dec 20, 2011 Jillian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books, poetry
I liked this, especially the poems You're Clever and Pleasant, and the illustrations. This reminded me of the annual creative writing magazine that my high school published, taking me back. I think I would have loved this if I had read it as a teen.
Melissa
I love poetic novels...but I didn't love this. I enjoyed it, however. The illustrations were lovely and set the mood/pace of the story. The poems themselves felt somehow lighter than the illustrations. But I think my teenager loved it.
Michelle
Jun 02, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
I don't seek out poetry, although I generally enjoy it when I read it. I found this book most enjoyable. It's a very quick read and I think verbalizes well what many teens would like to say.
Amanda
Nov 24, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
This a collection for young people about a first love, apparently, but I found the poems to be so basic and rhymey it was insulting to any age group.
Rebecca Plaza
Teen accessible little book of quatrain poems about thinking, longing, love, loneliness
all those teen themes. Nicely illustrated as well.
Tyler Perry
Apr 10, 2016 Tyler Perry rated it really liked it
The poems are good, but the excellent illustrations string them together, fleshing out the characters and the story in a way that the poems alone would not.
Jeannette
Sep 13, 2014 Jeannette rated it liked it
Short and sweet poems about love and heartbreak. Snappy, clever rhymes and well done illustrations. 3.5 stars.
Maija
May 28, 2015 Maija rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
My favorite poem was on page 34, " The Missing Conversation". I found this a deftly charming little book
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Marlaina
Jun 18, 2015 Marlaina rated it it was amazing
A lovely and very thoughtful book of poetry. Great for a young adult audience.
Bri Adams
Bri Adams rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
the_hyacinth_girl
the_hyacinth_girl rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • After the Death of Anna Gonzales
  • My Letter to the World and Other Poems
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales
  • Thaw
  • You Don't Even Know Me: Stories and Poems About Boys
  • I Just Hope It's Lethal: Poems of Sadness, Madness, and Joy
  • Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #2)
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • On the Wing
  • Kingdom of Twilight (Avatars, #3)
  • Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes
  • When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons
  • Head Case
  • Tyranny
  • The Night Wanderer
  • The Cremation of Sam McGee
  • The Art Student's War
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein (Dear Canada)
JonArno is the author of two books of poetry for adults, Love is an Observant Traveller and Inklings, as well as a contributor for The Chechens: A Handbook. The Man in the Moon-Fixer's Mask is his first book for children. He lives in Toronto, Canada, with his wife and two children.
More about JonArno Lawson...