Start by marking “Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #1)

Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe #1)

Halcyon Blithe, being a young man of good breeding and lineage as well as endowed with those qualities and abilities of a sorcerous nature and wishing to fulfill his full potential, is ready to assume his proper place in the world. He aims to seek his fortune among those who tend and sail the awesome nautical juggernauts-the dragonships. With this in mind, Blithe gladly ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Tor Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe

Wealhtheow
Jan 23, 2014 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it
Astonishingly awful fantasy. It's so badly written that I thought the first chapter was a parody or a play within the book--here's a sample line from the first page. "'Hook, me old friend, you've been complaining about storms for as long as I've known you. Here, take this to warm your salty bones,' said the friend while handing Hook a tankard of hot rum." The friend's name is Pegleg. Pegleg and Hook, I kid you not. They exchange a few lines of dialog about how they're hearty sea dogs, and then ...more
Donna
Mar 10, 2013 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this, but the opening passage was not promising. We meet the title character through a pair of dockhands who left me less interested in the overall setting or story and more curious how they, among the vast number of their fellow workers that they say had lost a hand or a leg to the navy, were the ones to end up blandly nicknamed "Hook" and "Pegleg."

Halcyon himself comes across as earnest but a bit dull, and while he's from a naval family and has been trained as an office
Artem
Aug 16, 2010 Artem rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Let me be perfectly honest here:
I love books about ships.
I love books about dragons.

This book has dragonships.

(That gives it an extra star or two).

Otherwise it is my strong belief that Mr Ward should get back to game design.
Abbi
Jul 10, 2009 Abbi rated it did not like it
It was awful. Got through thirty or so pages and couldn't take anymore. I believe I stopped at this sentence.

""Hurrah." the boys shouted."

Great enthusiasm, boys.

Head, meet desk.
Roberta
Aug 13, 2008 Roberta rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hornblower fans, fantasy fans, military fantasy fans, gamers
Shelves: fantasy
Very much a wizard meets Horatio Hornblower book. This book like Harry Potter details the training for a young man who is an officer in training or midshipman, but he also has magical abilities so he holds the rank of midshipwizard. The usage of "quotes" of the articles of war on each chapter is nice touch.

The character of Halcyon is not perfect, but he is an exceptional young man just like Hornblower. He has red eyes that show his demonic heritage, but he is honorable, and holds rare talents no
Burt
Dec 17, 2009 Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age of sail fantasists
Shelves: age-of-sail, fantasy
Jake Mcconnell
Billed as Harry Potter on the high seas, Midshipwizard Halycon Blithe follows the adventures of the title character as he comes into his own as a wizard and a naval officer (and he has some big shoes to fill considering that all of his family for generations have been wizards and naval heroes in the land of Arcania).

Wasn't a terrible read, but at the same time it wasn't a masterpiece by any scope of the imagination. Ward creates some pretty imaginative fixtures in Halcyon's world (namely the id
Michael Kucharski
Jan 21, 2010 Michael Kucharski rated it it was ok
I was less than impressed although the person who recommended it,loved it, because as she says she loves the underdog. Halcyon Blithe was far from an underdog. He is tall, good looking and comes from a wealthy, landed, titled family and was sent off to sea with a handful of magic artifacts, talks to dragons and is both an air and water wizard! About the only thing he didn't have going for him was he came into his magical powers until sixteen instead of the usual twelve or thirteen years of age. ...more
Garrett
Jun 21, 2012 Garrett rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I really wanted to like this one because of all the Hornblower meets Harry Potter descriptions, having read both series multiple times. But alas, the writing was so horrible that Blithe never made it out of port before I gave up. There are examples in other reviews but one that I particularly recall is Blithe's initial meeting with a senior midshipwizard. There is a sense of impending rank struggle, like embittered Simpson's tyranny in Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, but without explanation in the ...more
Ezekiel
Poorly edited (at one point it's said that "all" dragonships are called "it" and "them" and are male, but literally one page later the character who *said* this is referring to the ship with female pronouns, later the main character does magic and passes out before he finds out what happens, wakes up and finds out what he did, is disappointed that it wasn't more impressive, and when later under a TRUTH SPELL is recounting it, states that he "intended" what happened to happen, and NO MENTION is ...more
David
May 05, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really don't get why people keep comparing to Harry Potter, is it just because he uses magic? In which case, are all fantasy stories suddenly going to be "Harry Potter meets X"? Started out a bit slow for me which, along with another book I had been waiting for showing up and jumping up in front of the queue, made it take a little longer than usual to read. But over all I enjoyed it and will be happy to read the next book in the series.
Deirdre
Sep 16, 2012 Deirdre rated it really liked it
In a world where ships of the line are carved from the body of living dragons and where officers wield magic comes Midshipwizard Halcyon Blythe. He came into his magic late in life and now has to try and catch up. This does cause him problems with his peers and he also has issues with understand his power and some of the implications.

I enjoyed the read, it did have room for improvement but I did find it an interesting read with characters I cared for.
Becky
Dec 31, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
All the critics reviews of this book were Horatio Hornblower meets Harry Potter / Hogwarts. Totally true- I am not that into high seas adventure mixed with fantasy- but I liked it and might read the other book in the series.
Paul
May 11, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, nautical
This is a superb kids book / series, its a shame it stops after two books without the author concluding the various plot lines.

In a nutshell its about a "Horatio Hornblower" style character in a magical world with all the goodness that brings ;)
Becca Stroebel
Aug 07, 2007 Becca Stroebel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Shelves: youngadult
This books is another Young Reader's Choice Award nominee for 2008. I don't usually enjoy fantasy novels, but I found this one to be engaging and worthwhile. Maybe partly because it contained sailing information and I was excited about remembering sailing terms.
Lindsey
Oct 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! It's kind of like Harry Potter with a mix of sailing and a few other interesting elements (like the fact that the ship they sail in is actually a dragon).
Glenn
Fun start to the series. Halcyon is a bit of a block head but not so much that it's annoying. I would read the second. Might make a good companion to The Ranger's Apprentice.
Matthew
Jul 04, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Quick, unique world that feels like a character and world study that leaves you wanting a bit more - until you realize it's fine for the quick read it is.
Aiyana
Oct 03, 2007 Aiyana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adventure buffs
Um... I can really only describe this book one way: it's "Horatio Hornblower" with dragons and wizards. And better than it sounds.
Eileen Phillips
Jan 09, 2008 Eileen Phillips rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: d&d nerds, naval dorks
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Sort of a cross between Harry Potter and Horatio Hornblower, and yet pretty unique. I dug it.
Samantha
Apr 21, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Some of the dialogue is a bit cheesy, but this is an interesting and fun story of wizards at sea. All I need to say is: dragonship. Too cool.
Becca
Aug 05, 2010 Becca rated it it was amazing
So amazing! There was a moment when I thought it was going to be about Halcyon's disgrace, but it turned out to be awesome. I love the world, and I love the attention to detail.
Jane
Jane rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2013
Leanna
Leanna rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Thomas Norris
Thomas Norris rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2010
Rebecca Snyder
Rebecca Snyder rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Seth Runyon
Seth Runyon rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Cindu
Cindu rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011
Moses Nakamura
Moses Nakamura rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sails & Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy
  • Pirate's Passage
  • Mad Kestrel
  • The Werewolves of London (David Lydyard, #1)
  • The Ghost in the Noonday Sun
  • The Shaman (Star Stone, #1)
  • Silent Echoes
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • Nashville oder Das Wolfsspiel
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)
  • Shadowbridge (Shadowbridge, #1)
  • The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)
  • The Way of the Wizard
  • In dieser ganz besonderen Nacht
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Timekeepers
  • Starfinder: Book One of the Skylords

Halcyon Blithe (2 books)
  • Dragonfrigate Wizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #2)