Start by marking “Bury the Lead” as Want to Read:
Bury the Lead

Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,269 ratings  ·  190 reviews
Northern New Jersey has a new local hero on its cultural crime turf.He's Andy Carpenter, the Paterson defense attorney who can sling a quip as fast as he can outmaneuver a snarling prosecutor. Acclaimed author David Rosenfelt's first novel, was nominated for an Edgar Award, now in this new novel, the intrepid lawyer is thrust into the spotlight where he risks becoming a me ...more
Published September 3rd 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bury the Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury the Lead

Dan Vilter
A pretty typical courtroom drama that I love to read. I like the characters. There is just the right amount of wise-assness and wit to the affable protagonist's take on the world that I was willing to embrace his take on his legal profession, views of the mob, charity, police, love, and dogs. I end up liking the guy. Virtually all of the other characters are rich in supporting ways from his low-key love interest to his buddy that answers his questions in song lyrics.
I caught myself laughing out
Gina
An absolutely fun book, it is a quick read/listen and funny. I listened to this book at work and it was perfect backdrop for blocking people in the surrounding cubes and still being able to follow the story. Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter is a defense attorney in NJ, has a bit of Colombo-type underdog in him but with a dry, witty humour that had me chuckling out loud at work.

The reader, Grover Gardner, is several levels above excellent. His Andy Carpenter has overtones of Andy Rooney (from 60 Minut
Jim
Another fun, short mystery that was well read & plotted. These are 'chip' books because I can't listen to just one. They're all pretty much the same, differing only in the details of the dilemma, but that doesn't mean they're not fun.

I liked it enough that I went looking for more books by this author & found out that the Tara Foundation, a dog rescue started in the last book, actually is a going concern run by the author. I have a book about it reserved & hope to listen to it soon.
Kathy
Reporter, Daniel Cummings is being used by a killer to disclose stuff about murders. Eventually Daniel is framed for the a murder. Andy Carpenter takes the case. A prostitute who is killed was once a wealthy girl. She is the one the killer really wanted dead because she and her brother are due to inherit. Her brother wants her out of the picture. The other people who were killed were just to throw off authorities. There comes a shocking point in the book where Daniel is not guilty due to another ...more
Melanie (aka Serial Reader)
There's a lot of surprising twists and turns in this novel, and a lot more characters to keep one guessing as to the who-what-when-where of the story. In fact, I was as surprised as Andy was at the ending. DR's use of metaphors and alliterations is spot-on and laugh-out-loud humorous, leveraging the self-deprecating humor back on Andy. I like that Andy doesn't seem to be too full of himself, and that he loves Laurie - a lot. I have a lot to look forward to in the next few novels of DR.

I rated th
Karen
Andy and Willie have a dog rescue named after his Golden Retriever Tara. They save dogs that are on doggie death row. Andy has been looking for a charity to give some of his 22 million too. That's about all the good that is happening in Paterson. There is a brutal serial killer that is only talking to reporter Daniel Cummings. The news editor asks Andy to come onboard as a lawyer for the newspaper. Daniel has a past and when that past comes calling Daniel thinks he can get ahead of the killer an ...more
Victoria
I really liked this third installment in the Andy Carpenter series! This is just a fun series, no doubt about it! I really like the role of the mafia so far, too. The characters are all interesting and the dialogue is lively and funny. I must admit that the male characters are much more developed than the female characters, though. Still, it's a lot of fun and each of the plots are original - although how many frame-ups can one lawyer reveal? It will be interesting to see how this series develop ...more
Sharyn
I am reading these out of order, which I don't usually do, but the spoilers don't seem to matter. I love the snarkiness of Lawyer Andy Carpenter, as well as all the secondary characters.He loves his dog and funds a dog rescue foundation. He also defends his clients. What more could you ask for. Well a good mystery too. The twists and turns of this one were really good. I did not catch the clues at all, so I never saw it coming,which I as a reader think is a good thing!!!
Angela
Bury the Lead is a fine example of a certain category of mystery; one where humor, not suspense, in the driving force. It's populated with wise-cracking protagonist, an (extremely) eccentric secondary cast, and has just enough of a twist at the end to feel satisfying. This isn't Literary Fiction (complete with a capital "l") by any means, nor does it aspire to be. Instead, it's a pleasant, if somewhat breezy, way to pass a few hours.
Sheila Beaumont
This very funny legal thriller/mystery kept me laughing out loud all the way through, just like the first two books in the series. It has a clever mystery plot with lots of surprising twists, wonderfully witty dialogue, a breezy writing style, a likable narrator -- and, as if that weren't enough, dogs! A very entertaining read for those who enjoy a well-plotted mystery with plenty of humor.
Debby
This is part of a mystery series that my husband got me started on. Certainly not great books but very enjoyable ones. I like the character of Andy Carpenter, a defense attorney. He is certainly not the super hero type, has a unique sense of humor, likes golden retrievers, and has to be protected by his girl friend, Laurie more than once. Rosenfelt's writing style is enjoyable.
Tiffeny
Another Andy Carpenter book. I liked it, but not as much as the first two. I don't often think this, but I wish that David Rosenfelt would add more detail. I feel like his books often skim the top of the story and I especially felt that way with this one. They are such great stories and characters he could make them at least a couple hundred pages longer and no one would get bored. I just felt a little gyped when I got to the end of this book. I felt like I needed more.

I'm extra bummed too becau
Martha
This is fun brain candy - a wealthy lawyer who has a dog rescue foundation, and who frequently has dogs prominently built into his cases. This case involves a reporter accused of committing the murders he is reporting on. Self-deprecating lead is funny. Lisa - you'd like this one!
Barb
Fun mystery with a touch of humor.

Minty McBunny
After the excellence of the first two books, this one was kind of a letdown. It started off well, Andy's witty comebacks and snappy dialogue are the strength of this series and they're here in abundance. But the murder case in this story just doesn't work. We have an unlikable suspect and a crime with way too many moving parts and too many people who had their hands in the outcome. It wasn't too complicated to follow but because we never really got to know or care about the main players in the c ...more
Andrea
Light-hearted legal/police thriller. I like the way the cast of characters keeps accumulating with each new addition to the series.
Kevin Bachovchin
Bury the Lead is the 3rd book of the Andy Carpenter series. Andy defends newspaper writer Daniel Cummings who is being used by a serial killer to announce the killer's murders and then gets arrested by the police for the murders.

As with the first two, I enjoyed listening to the audio book. It's a quick read/listen and the plots are not overly complicated, but the courtroom scenes are entertaining and there's also a refreshing amount of humor in the book. The three books have been pretty much th
Russell Atkinson
Andy Carpenter is a smarmy, wise-ass attorney in Florida who lucked into some big bucks and plays a sort of part-time pro bono lawyer and full-time dog lover. The charm of the books is not in the mystery or the clever lawyering but the witty chatter and lighthearted tone.

This particular case involves a newspaper reporter who follows some serial murders and ends up being charged as the murderer. Andy gets talked into representing him and soon begins to suspect that his client may actually be guil
Chazzi
A mad romp of a fast and fun read.

Andy Carpenter, high profile attourney with a long string of acquittals to his credit and inherited millions in his bank account takes on a case for an old friend. A case that he wishes he hadn't taken. The client is a newspaper writer who is currently the mouthpiece for a serial killer. When the client is found near the latest victim and is charged with the crime it looks like Andy's string of acquittals has reached its end.

With the help of a cast of character
Ed
#3 in the Andy Carpenter series. Andy is an independently wealthy lawyer who will only take a case that interests him or, as in this instance, as a favor to a friend.

Andy Carpenter agrees to defend reporter Daniel Cummings, the previously undisclosed son of his newspaper editor friend, Vince Sanders. Cummings is accused of being a serial killer after the cops decide that the info he says he got from the killer's phone calls are actually evidence he is the killer. Andy's cast of friends help in a
Hob
Maybe the best of the first three.
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

Whoopee! Andy's back! I love this series featuring Andy Carpenter, wiseass defense attorney from northern New Jersey. And BURY THE LEAD, third in the series, does not disappoint.

Andy lives a relatively quiet life. He inherited $22 million, but it hasn't gone to his head. He's used some of the money to set up a dog rescue foundation, together with Willie Miller, a former client who received a substantial judgment. So when Andy decides to do legal work, it's because he wants to, not be
Janet
This book provided a much needed change from the nasty, nasty bad boy in the last book I read, Slow Heat in Heaven, but maybe Andy could be a little less wimpish.
Picked up this book because of the doggie related name and enjoyed the early statements on dog neglect. IT IS ABUSIVE to leave a dog outside for most of its life. Dogs are pack animals and to deny them their beloved pack, which are their people, that's one of the worst punishments you can do to a dog.
Point made, back to the book. The
Pattianne
Bury the Lead - Andy Carpenter Series #3 New Jersey - Elliot was the bad guy, but Laurie plans to leave anyway.

I watch sixteen football games over nine hours. It's an extraordinary accomplishment...With the remote secure in the palm of my hand, or more often resting on my chest, I am all powerful. I haven't missed an important play since the Carter administration. His streak of murder case acquittals made him a regular on cable talk shows. His recent $22 million inheritance bought him a dog resc
Janis Gilbert
watch sixteen football games over nine hours. It's an extraordinary accomplishment...With the remote secure in the palm of my hand, or more often resting on my chest, I am all powerful. I haven't missed an important play since the Carter administration. His streak of murder case acquittals made him a regular on cable talk shows. His recent $22 million inheritance bought him a dog rescue operation named after his beloved golden retriever. Now after turning down cases left and right, attorney And ...more
Dorottya
Now this is what I expect from a crime story (a good one, that is)! It's easy to follow yet tense, it keeps you guessing all the way from the beginning and it is written in a tone that grabs you at the first page (which I really find rare).
I also like how it is a series (which I only realised when I added it to my currently-reading list), yet it describes every little thing (which presumably were described in earlier books) in a really short yet informative way.
The tone of the writing was excell
Kristin
This book was earlier in the series than the other Andy Carpenter books I read and thus less about dogs, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.
Carpenter is a defense attorney in charge of defending a reporter who has allegedly been contacted by a serial killer, who tells the reporter every detail of his latest crimes. However, when a high profile woman is murdered, the reporter is found at the scene of the crime and in posession of evidence linking him to the murder, he becomes the sole sus
LJ
BURY THE LEAD (Legal Thriller-New Jersey-Cont) – VG
Rosenfelt, David – 3rd book
Mysterious Press, 2004- Hardcover
Defense attorney Andy Carpenter inherited $22 million so working isn’t something he has to do. But when a serial killer is murdering woman and cutting off their hands, Daniel Cummings, a local reporter and son of one of Andy’s friends, is arrested for the murders. Andy doesn’t believe he’s guilty and, with the help of friends and colleagues, is out to find the killer while defending D
Pam
06/30/2012
WHAT: Bury The Lead by David Rosenfelt, #3 in Andy Carpenter series; library, 2004, 261 pgs

WHO: Andy Carpenter; defense attorney in Northern NJ -- his recent windfall -- inheritance of 22 million has allowed him to be very selective in choosing his cases. Sense of humor infused in all his trials -- borders beeing silly -- but so far it works for me.
Tara; his beloved golden retriever
Laurie; girlfriend, private investigator, former cop
Other recurring: Kevin who runs the legal advice-laun
Frank
[library audiobook, no financial investment in finishing; plot summary elsewhere]

I was leaning to one fewer star,leaving at 3 for finishing, but in the end gave it 4. Eventually, the wisecracking of Andy Carpenter grew a little tiresome. The continuing cast of characters from the first two books was only ok, although I like Lori much better than Andy. The plot had some nice reversals, although the deus ex machina rescue seemed too pat.

Not sure I will download another, probably will.
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • A Farewell to Legs (Aaron Tucker Mystery #2)
  • Dark Harbor
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Running from the Law
  • The Next to Die
  • A Raiz do Ódio
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Open and Shut