Sins of the Assassin: A Novel

Sins of the Assassin: A Novel (Assassin Trilogy #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Colossal in concept, dazzlingly plotted, filled with vivid, jaw-dropping violence, Sins of the Assassin confirms Robert Ferrigno as the modern master of the futuristic thriller.

In the second book of Ferrigno's spectacular Assassin Trilogy, Rakkim Epps battles radical fundamentalist forces in a futuristic America, now a divided blood-soaked dystopia. Will he survive? Can...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Scribner

Paul Pessolano
This is the second book in a trilogy. The first book was "Prayers for the Assassin", and really should be read before "Sins of the Assassin".

The story takes place in the year 2043 and the United States has ceased to exist and has been split up into several zones. The two biggest Zones being the northern area that is now called the "Islamic Republic", and the southern area known as the "Bible Belt".

The book brings together the conflict between these two entities. Rakkim Epps, who is the main char...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I read a review of this book that said "There was not a single moment when the reader wasn't entertained'....I wondered who the reader he was speaking about was.

I all but put this book down. The series is an interesting idea, and the first wasn't that bad, but this one i just couldn't get interested in. i just couldn't seem to "care". I finally gave in and skipped my way through it to get to the end and see how things "worked out'. But frankly i could have put it down and walked away.

In fairnes...more
KarenC
May 08, 2011 KarenC rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: Edgar nomination
Not sure I liked this futuristic, fictional version of the US. Not something I would have picked up on my own, but read because it was an Edgar nominee. One of those sequels that should be read in order to get the full effect & I didn't; may at some time in the future if I live that long. A decent read, but do it in a short time to keep track of what's going on. I'd give it 2 and a half stars if I could; didn't really like it, but it was written better than ok.
After a second read I revised m...more
Tom Carrico
Sins of the Assassin
By Robert Ferrigno

This novel is set in the year 2043 in a redefined North America. The former USA has been separated by a religious civil war. The South is now known as “Bible Belt” and runs roughly from Texas to Virginia. The rest of the country is a moderate Islamic republic with its capital city of Seattle. There have been dramatic geographic changes secondary to environmental warming as well, including the fact that large portions of the Gulf Coast and most of Florida n...more
CJ
The evil genius was foiled in Prayers for the Assassin, but just like in those epic movies featuring Jason....He's not dead yet!!!

He's back and he's pissed at being thwarted by the handsome young elite warriar and his side kick, the brilliant, compassionate and lovely (in a properly modest Muslim way) scholar.

Rakim has fallen prey to that oldest of chestnuts - "if you kill the killer, do you somehow start to become just as bad as he was" - except in this case, it's a little more tangible. Darwin...more
Bob
While not as good and engrossing as the first novel in this series, still a good read. The first novel contained a world that was extremely plausible. In this second offering, there were several aspects that seemed a bit of fantasy and made me realize that this was certainly a work of fiction rather than a possible alternate reality. The mystical veiled church in the middle of a burning underground coal mine was one such item. While it the events surrounding the existence of the church were beli...more
Ben
I found this book on a top-100 sci-fi list. It doesn't really read a sci-fi novel...More like a spy/adventure novel. It is set in a post-WW3 US where the country is half-muslim and half-bible-belt christians. The cultural and political tones in this book are so possible that it is haunting and I keep wondering if the author has come back in a time machine from a scary alternate future. The rich detail and character make the action based themes better than a Bourne movie. Strongly recommended. Th...more
Monty
I loved this book as much as the Prayers for the Assassin, and I can hardly wait for the author to finish the last of the trilogy because the scene has been set for reunification of the USA. The whole idea of this futuristic, alternative history is fascinating to me (see the summary of the book for more details). Check out the author's website with fictionalized news that corresponds to the futuristic scene he has invented. http://republicworldnews.com/
Lynn
Don't let the title fool you. This series of books is a great look into what the future of the US might have looked like if we had taken a different road after 9/11. The insight into our "new life" is thought provoking and makes you wonder what it all could have been like. The author is also from Kirkland and the series is set in Seattle. It's great to actually read a book and know what the highways and landmarks are!
Lisa Dalin
One of those quick reads - kinda out there - not written very well - but depicts a sort of "if the tables were turned" and opens up enough of a story line to make this possiblity plausible if for no other reason than we can easily see how sheep are so easily led to slaughter. I would recommend this to anyone just because it's so different, and therefore opens futuristic concepts that I don't normally indulge.
Christian Barraza
Amazing book! I must admit, this is my first reading of a Robert Ferrigno book. Still, after reading it, I'm gonna be reading them all. The story was great. I must admit, I had a little trouble sometimes because I never read the first book but still, it's easy to pick up and get a sense of who the characters are. I look forward to reading all the books in this series and maybe even some of his other books.
Bill
A potboiler, sure, but a well-crafted one. I've known Robert Ferrigno slightly since he published The Horse Latitudes in 1990 and have enjoyed each of his subsequent books. I rank him among the very best genre writers and am pleased to see that he now has Scribners (once home to Fitzgerald and Hemingway) as his publisher.
Ron
The second 'Assassins' novel. Better than the first. Plenty of action but not so hot on character development.

An eyeopener into the psyche of the Muslim mind and actions.

Sci-fi only because it is 40 years in the future, but not too far out in the technical development area.
Schnaucl
I thought this was a better book than the first one. Most of the action took place in the Bible Belt which was an interesting change. I also liked the introduction of Leo. It made it easier to relate to Rikki.
Damian
I really enjoyed this book which is why it got 4 stars. It won't change your life but as far as alternate reality fiction goes it's at the top of it's class. I'm eager to read book #1 and the upcoming #3.
David
LOVE the Assasin trilogy. A gripping read from the get go. It takes an alternate view of the future of the US that I found absolutely amazing. A must read for all walks of life.
Adam
Far superior to the first volume in Ferrigno's trilogy, if only for the fact that he explores areas of his futuristic vision that we are most interested in.
Jason Kay
The sequel to a fascinating story set in a bleak future. The author has once again conjured up a believable world filled with involving characters and plots.
Heather
This was really gripping...the author's idea of what America might be like 50 years in the future under Muslim control is chillingly realistic.
Xavier
The sequel to the Prayers of the Assassin seems a bit unconnected to the first novel but does a good job of enhancing the persona of Rakkim Eps...
Jessica
A well-paced thriller with a strong (though somewhat predictable) setup for the the final entry in the trilogy.
Peter
The second of a planned trilogy of a United States post Islamic Coup and pre-Christian-Muslim Civil War.
Bill
Oct 10, 2012 Bill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
2008 book 2 -continues story of the main character dealing with terrorists, now in 2043
CT
An action-packed sequel! Can't wait for the last book in the trilogy.
Laurie
Loved this book....cool characters, great story line and alot of twists.
Tom
Liked the first one enough to head right into the second of the trilogy
Mike
Very awesome book! Thought-provoking, edge-of-your-seat action!
Christen
This one was ok, but not nearly as good as the first in the trilogy.
Monica Griffin
Didn't read very much of this book. Didn't really like it.
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • End of the Beginning (Days of Infamy, #2)
  • 1901
  • The Famous and the Dead
  • Daybreak Zero (Daybreak, #2)
  • After America (The Disappearance, #2)
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • Gods & Monsters (Shadows Inquiries #3)
  • Small Crimes
  • Masquerade
  • Old Mortality
  • Belladonna: A Novel of Revenge
  • Fault Line (Ben Treven, #1)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Resurrection Day
Robert Ferrigno is an American author of crime novels and of speculative fiction. I've written twelve novels in the last twenty years, most crime thrillers. Sins of the Assassin was a finalist for the Edgar, Best Novel, by the Mystery Writers of America in 2008, and my comic short story, "Can I Help You Out?" won the Silver Dagger, Best Short Story, by the Mystery Association of Great Britain.

Seri...more
More about Robert Ferrigno...
Prayers for the Assassin Heart of the Assassin Flinch: A Novel Horse Latitudes The Wake-Up