Start by marking “Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)

Greyfax Grimwald (Atlanton Earth)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  294 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Welcome to Atlanton Earth!

Drawn together by an enchanted summons, three loyal friends-Bear, Dwarf, and Otter-bid farewell to their fair home in the kingdom of Lorini and embark on a magical journey to the fabled World Beyond Time.
A place where glows the ageless Circle of Light.
Along the way they meet many marvelous friends, including the mighty wizard
Greyfax Grimwald.
B
Published February 1st 2004 by Starscape (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Greyfax Grimwald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greyfax Grimwald

Terence
Nov 22, 2008 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I remember reading this series in those halcyon days of youth 20 or 30 years ago (give or take 5 years) and being quite enchanted with it.

I tried rereading it about 10 years ago, I suppose, and somewhere the "magic" had disappeared. It just wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it, sadly.

But I'm still giving it three stars (I liked it) in memory of that 12-year-old kid who was ensorcelled.
MisterFweem
Fantasy is a difficult genre because so many readers come into it with preconceived notions, baggage from favorite and despised authors and other such stuff that generally keeps them from enjoying a good book if it doesn't really meet their expectations.

Greyfax Grimwald is probably one of the books that gest abused by the fantasy snobs. I admit Niel Hancock is no Tolkein, but then only Tolkein is Tolkein. It's a fairer thing to say that Hancock is no Terry Brooks; he's a few notches above Brooks
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear, Otter, and the dwarf Broco were happy living their own lives beyond the great river Calix Stay, but some mysterious unrest has overtaken them all. Drawn together, they cross the river once more, heading back into the lands that know time. They are searching for their quest. But it doesn't take long for them to come to the attention of both the good and the evil who are warring for supremacy in this conflicted realm. . .

By and large, this is a novel that shines with its language and charact
Jacinda Phillips
Sep 16, 2012 Jacinda Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this paperback book at a book sale, with it's 3 others in it's set for a full $1.00. Where has this been all my life and I've never heard of this series or author? Great high-fantasy story that I plowed through in one very lazy day. It's written for adults due to the complex concepts, but it made me feel like a little kid reading LOTR for the first time again. Wow. Can't wait to read the others.
Steven
Jan 12, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it
Bear, Dwarf, and Otter embark on a magical journey to a land of legend; the fabled World Beyond Time. In the course of the journey to this mystic land, they encounter Greyfax Grimwald and his sidekick apprentice, Froghorn Fairingay. This encounter draws them into a web of mystery and danger as the Dark Queen, Dorini, has designs on what she will do with the World Beyond Time once she conquers the whole of it.

This is a fun tale of adventure, danger and friendships. A wonderful read just to let yo
Travis
Dec 05, 2015 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
One of many fantasy series that tried to cash in on the big Tolkien revival of the late 70's-early 80's.
The Tolkien comparison bugs me, as this book reminds me more of the Narnia series.

Like the three leads, Bear, Otter and Dwarf, nice to see the heroes of a fantasy series not being the humans, but rather the characters that in another series would be the sidekicks.
Problem is that the book starts really low key, almost 'Wind in the willows' level relaxed and has trouble getting out of that and k
Kailey
Jul 19, 2011 Kailey rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I don't know what kind of crap this is, but it is absolutely unreadable! The sentence structure is appalling, and every decent rule of good writing is broken on every page. Apparently, this writer has never even heard of stuff that every writer learns (or should have learned) in 5th grade, like that you shouldn't use too many adjectives, and you shouldn't use the same adjective over and over.

"The delightful, soft, glowing movements of the sun..."

Three adjectives were necessary here?

"Leaving all
Talkswithwind
The first of four books. The jacket copy is rather purple, as this book is pitched in that clear 1970's way to people who liked Lord of the Rings, but wanted more in that vein. Neil Hancock is no Tolkein even though there are dwarfs and things.

Reading this book 30 years after publication, I can see what a 'hail mary' this was for the publishers. It was clearly an effort to feed a market started by LotR, but it sadly doesn't do that. It would have been far better pitched as a separate series unre
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
I've kept my copies of the set all these years, although I've not thought to re-read them. I suppose I'd better give them a look to see whether they're worth keeping.
John
Mar 08, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it a 3.5 good beginning to a fantasy/fairy tale series. An easy read and a young adult, chapter book. The first time I have read this author.
Hannah
Oct 25, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! This is the first in the Circle of Light series, and it has a world reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, but not so...two-legged, for lack of a more fun word. Animals play a bit more of a role from what I can tell. The main characters are a dwarf (short, skinny, and magical--a bit different from other dwarves), a bear (an ancient, powerful being who is always hungry), an otter (he's mostly fun and playful), and a couple of wizards who help them understand what's going on when t ...more
Gabrielle
Jan 29, 2014 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read these as a child and loved them. Actually want to reread as an adult, so I can tell my daughter about them.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dreck
I bought 2 or 3 of this these books back in the 70s, thinking, cool, a big new fantasy series like Lord of the Rings. I got about 50 pages in and realized it was truly terrible. In fact, I think it was the first really bad book I bought for myself.

It became a family joke. For years every time I bought a new book Mr K would say, "So, you finish the Circle of Light yet?"
Richelle
I read this as a kid from a yellow-paged copy with a fingerprint-smudged cover. I loved it at the time, but it was probably the only fantasy book I had read at the time, with the exception of fairy tales and that lot. I suppose it wouldn't hold up well now, but I wanted to add it to my list. I mean, come on. One of the main characters was an otter. How can you go wrong?
Conor Lade
WOW. A let down. I guess the danger of being a pioneer (the book was written ages ago) is that you may be judged by more current standards. For its time, Greyfax Grinwald's characters and plot may have been just fine. It is not a bad book. It is just not up to par with today's standards... Like trying to review a telegrapgh system in the age of phones.
Rick
Read the series a long time ago and liked it. Tried reading it again a few years back but didn't even make it through the first book. It still rates a 3-star out of sentimentality...
Karen
Apr 30, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow such a long time ago I must have liked them somewhat I read the series. I was about 18 years old then don't think I would enjoy this now, but was into that kind of book back then.
Tim
Jun 04, 2011 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this ages ago. The series is simple and has a fairy tale sort of quality; talking animal characters and wicked queens and such.
Jun 23, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-myth
Weirdly compelling despite my dislike of the genre when it has no sense of humour. Bought the boxed set and re-read it every 5 years or so.
Jerrie
Found this series in a box and decide to reread them to see if I wanted to keep them around
Rita
Mar 20, 2008 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and unpredictable. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Rebecca Anderson
One of the books i liked as a kid where it painted a whole scene for me.
Ariel Paiement
Apr 24, 2013 Ariel Paiement rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Brilliant! Anyone who likes adventure will like this!
Robert
Jan 23, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it
Great Fantasy tale, a lot of interesting characters,both animal and human,if you enjoyed Watership Down or the Hobbit this is delightful story.
Ward
Ward marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Hillary Barkdull
Hillary Barkdull rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Reading Faerie
Reading Faerie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Dr. Eric A. Hauser
Dr. Eric A. Hauser rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • An Armory of Swords
  • The Seventh Gate: Seven Citadels Part Four (Seven Citadels, #4)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • The Lost Prince (The Dark Border, #1)
  • Study In Sorcery
  • The Interior Life
  • The Mammoth Book of Sorcerers' Tales : The Ultimate Collection of Magical Fantasy from Tom Holt, Ursula K. LeGuin, Michael Moorcock, Peter Crowther, Louise Cooper, and many more
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Hellblazer: Subterranean
  • The Hex Witch of Seldom
  • Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1)
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Convergence (Heritage Universe, #4)
  • The Pretender (The Chaos Gate, #2)
  • Catfantastic V
  • What Entropy Means to Me
Niel Hancock started out from the Panhandle of Texas in 1941, and was on the ground when the Sky Riders went down outside Roswell, New Mexico. Even as a lad, that tweaked his curiosity, and then they touched off the Atom Bomb at Trinity Site, which put him on the trail of the Road to the Sacred Mountain, young as he was.

He grew up in that wilderness, always looking for clues to the Mystery, then d
More about Niel Hancock...

Atlanton Earth (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Across the Far Mountain (The Wilderness of Four, #1)
  • The Plains of the Sea (The Wilderness of Four, #2)
  • On the Boundaries of Darkness (The Wilderness of Four, #3)
  • The Road to the Middle Islands (The Wilderness of Four, #4)
  • The Fires of Windameir (Windameir Circle, #1)
  • The Sea of Silence (Windameir Circle, #2)
  • A Wanderer's Return (Windameir Circle, #3)
  • The Bridge of Dawn (Windameir Circle, #4)
  • Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2)
  • Calix Stay (Circle of Light, #3)