Start by marking “Introduction to Algorithms” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Algorithms

Introduction to Algorithms

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,877 ratings  ·  98 reviews

NOTE: This International Student Edition is not available in the USA or Canada.

Some books on algorithms are rigorous but incomplete; others cover masses of material but lack rigor. Introduction to Algorithms uniquely combines rigor and comprehensiveness. The book covers a broad range of algorithms in depth, yet makes their design and analysis accessible to all levels of

Paperback, Third Edition, 1312 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Mit Press (first published December 1st 1989)

Shawn Morel
What a terrible book. Though it's the cornerstone of many CS undergrad algorithm courses, this book fails in every way. In almost every way, Dasgupta and Papadimitriou's "Algorithms" is a much better choice: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

It tries to be a reference book presenting a good summary of algorithms but any of the interesting bits are left as "exercises to the student." Many of these exercises are do-able but far from trivial mental connections. A few require some mental Ah Ha
Nick Black
An essential, well-written reference, and one it's quite possible to read through several times, picking up new info each time. That having been said....this book never, I felt, adequately communicated THE LOVE. The pseudocode employed throughout is absolutely wretched, at times (especially in later chapters) binding up and abstracting away subsidiary computational processes not with actual predefined functions but english descriptions of modifications thereof -- decide whether you're writing co ...more
Saharvetes
Rather pointless to review this, as in most places this is the algorithms textbook. It's a good book that covers all the major algorithms in sufficient detail with every step clearly spelled out for the students' benefit.

Unfortunately, this neatness of presentation is also its most major drawback: (1) it spends more time describing algorithms than giving the reader an idea of how to design them, and (2) it can easily give the impression that algorithms is about spending a lot of time proving obv
Khaled Alhourani
An essential book for every programmer, you can't read this kind of book on bus, you need to fully constraint while reading it. The exercises after each chapter are very important to fully understand the chapter you just read, and to activate your brain's neurons. The book in itself is an outstanding one, very organized, focused and small chapters makes it easier to understand the algorithms inside it.

It contains the essential and most popular algorithms, so you can't live wthout it if you are r
Alex
While searching for a Bible of algorithms, I of course quickly gravitated towards Knuth's Art of Computer Programming series. It's thousands of pages long —a magnum opus still in progress; how could it not be the most desirable source?

My research quickly yielded mixed opinions from the community. Some loved Knuth's books, while others found their language impenetrable, their code irrelevant, or their assertions wrong or out of date.

All, on the other hand, universally praised Introduction to Alg
Joecolelife
This book is outstanding. All the algorithms are given in pseudo code which make the material (and notation) very precise and devoid of any idiosyncrasies which a real programming language might introduce. Although, the book requires fairly decent mathematical background, the more complex math can be skipped on a first reading (to avoid getting bogged down). Of course, you still need to know the basics of discrete mathematics and it will serve you well throughout this book. All algorithms are co ...more
Arif
Well, technically I didn't finish reading all the chapters in the book, but at least I've read most of it. The topics in the book is well explained with concise example. But sometimes, I need to find out the explanation by myself, things that I found interesting but sometimes frustrating. If I run into this situation, sometimes I need to find another reference to help me understand the problem. But still, this is a good book.
Brad
The textbook on algorithms. It does not do a very good job of teaching how to design algorithms, but it is an authoritative catalog of algorithms for a wide variety of situations.
Sheikh
This is an excellent book for software engineers and students of computer science and engineering who want to have a good understanding of algorithms.
Blog on Books
Algorithms, which perform some sequence of mathematical operations, form the core of computer programming. Intended as a text for computer programming courses, especially undergraduate courses in data structures and graduate courses in algorithms, an “Introduction to Algorithms” provides a comprehensive overview, that will be appreciated technical professionals, as well.

The major topics presented are sorting, data structures, graph algorithms and a variety of selected topics. Computer programmer
Joke
Das Buch wurde uns zur Vertiefung zur Vorlesung "Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen" empfohlen. Da es kein Skript im klassischen Sinn gab (dafür eine Mailingliste und eingescannte Notizen des Dozenten), war das Buch somit meine Hauptinformationsquelle für die Nachbereitung nach der Vorlesung. Dabei hat sich das Buch als extrem hilfreich erwiesen, obwohl natürlich nur ein Bruchteil des Buches überhaupt behandelt wurde, da das den Rahmen des 1. Semesters mit Sicherheit gesprengt hätte. Dazu kommt noc ...more
Tim

Jeffrey Milloy
apparently the second most cited computer science book, and for good reason. (no, i don't know the top most cited, and no, its not knuth). but, what a vast and exciting array of pseudocode, algorithms, and their data structures! good largley for being rich and dense, but readable. doesn't waste space over explaining, but should be sufficient for most anyone with a active interest.

an interesting feature, with respect to the exercises and especially problems for each chapter, is that i think corme
Cong
The organization is awesome.

The pseudo code is very helpful.

The problem is the formal style of writing.

It would be much better if the author can hide the formal forms of proof in the appendix and focus on the logic but not rigorous mathematical expression of how an algorithm works.

I also agree with some others that this book could have a stronger emphasis on data structure.
Dmitry Kuzmenko
The book gives a solid foundation of common non-trivial algorithms and data structures. It all comes with nice pseudocode, detailed walk-throughs and complexity analysis (along with worst case, average case and amortized complexity).

Personally I'd prefer to see the material in much more compact form, covering more of topics and more advanced or tricky algorithms and data structures. However, when something isn't clear, the detailed walk-throughs really help. Also, the exercises provided are inva
Barry
Cormen et al. (CLRS) provie a very thorough treatment of computer algorithms as a whole and both standard algorithms as well as design principles. While I have only been exposed to the basics in CLRS, the rigor and breadth of the textbook provide great utility in algorithm design and understanding these processes.
Rex
This book, like several of the other college textbooks I have bought, has several really good chapters....but also many, many pages which I consider "bloat." I personally would greatly prefer an extraction of the key topics without hundreds of pages of "had to keep releasing new editions of this textbook every year so we had to add more chapters on increasingly wide ranging and arcane topics." Anyways, the core chapters are very nice - it also contains a lot of "review" e.g. discussion on mathem ...more
Sacchit
This is the BIBLE for anyone interested in understanding/designing/implementing computer algorithms. Is very extensive, and has nice exercises to supplement theory. Also, tough to truly master! Suffice to say I haven't finished it yet despite reading for about an year!
Neda Bagheri
This book was our Reference book for Algorithm course in college. it was easy to read and for the covered materials look at the Bibliography. it covers the main subjects.
Bence
Very thorough textbook on many areas of algorithms, data structures, and computational complexity, with rigorous proofs both on algorithm correctness and running time.
Akash Goel
Clear and in-depth, this book is definitely a classic, one, that deserves to be on the shelf of every accomplished algorist.
Momshad Alvee
need I say more but honestly the teaching method could have been a bit more "user-friendly".
Koen Crolla
Some people just really enjoy typing, I guess. Not so much communicating, though: I was already pretty familiar with almost all of the algorithms and data structures discussed (the bit on computational geometry was the only thing that was completely new), but I can honestly say that if Introduction to Algorithms had been my first textbook, I wouldn't be.

(Also, I wish editors would stop writers when they try to use 1-indexed arrays in their books. Or, for that matter, pseudocode in general. Machi
Anatoliy Kaverin
I guess this is the best source for CS algorithms.
This book will crack your mind :)
Kamyar Nadimi
Simple explanation on complex algorithms
Vishnu Meduri
As the title says its just an intro ....
Josh Davis
I've been reading CLRS on and off for years. I read bits at a time and have been picking and choosing chapters to read and reread. I must say that without a doubt this is the best textbook I have ever read. I could not recommend it anymore for anyone that wishes to learn about data structures and algorithms well. The authors never skimp on the math and that's my favorite part of this book. Almost every idea that is presented is proven with a thorough proof. All of the pseudocode is completely go ...more
Kumar
Best book to learn algorithms.
Allen Morris
Very good book of Algorithms.
about the book 6 65 May 01, 2015 06:29PM
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Algorithms
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thomas H. Cormen is the co-author of Introduction to Algorithms, along with Charles Leiserson, Ron Rivest, and Cliff Stein. He is a Full Professor of computer science at Dartmouth College and currently Chair of the Dartmouth College Writing Program.

More about Thomas H. Cormen...
Algorithms Unlocked Introduction à l'algorithmique Algoritmos: Teoria E Prática