Start by marking “Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #1)

Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Little did Teldin Moore know there was life beyond Krynn's moons--until a crashed spelljamming ship demolished his farm and changed his life. With a dying alien's magical cloak and cryptic words, Teldin quickly discovers that he's a popular fellow with killers and cutthroats.
Published December 31st 1991 by TSR (first published July 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Moons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Moons

Dan Schwent
Poor Krynnish farmer Telden Moore has a space ship crash land in his field. The dying captain gives him a magical cloak and soon every miscreant in Wildspace is on the trail of Telden and his cloak. Will Telden's life ever be the same?

Even though I played a fair amount of D&D when I was a lad, I was never compelled to read any of the related novels. Fifteen years later, I was in a haze of nostalgia when I decided to give the Cloakmaster cycle a try. While I wasn't wowed, I was quite entertai
Wastrel
A book with, sadly, no real redeeming features.

The characterisation is almost non-existant, the writing is mediocre to poor, and virtually nothing happens (it's a travelogue that doesn't bother talking about the places you're passing - like sightseeing in a tunnel). Bizarrely, this introduction to the Spelljammer setting has very little Spelljammer in it - it feels like passing time before the story can leave the planet.

A book in which a mediaeval peasant and his space-hippopotamus companion are
Dustin
It's the story we all know and can relate to: a simple country farmboy goes off to war and comes home to tend the family farm when all of a sudden a spaceship crashes in the field, the boy gets befriended by a hippo-headed military man, and he gets stuck with a powerful artifact that dangerous forces want to take for themselves. I think we've all been there.

The pacing was a touch slow in parts, and I have to assume that the only reason the novel series started in the Dragonlance series was becau
David Sarkies
Apr 04, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dungeons and Dragons fans
Recommended to David by: Michael Driver
Shelves: fantasy
The first of seven Spelljammer books
8 May 2012

Look, I am not going to give any of these books a really high rating simply because they are shameless spinoffs from an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons setting. While that won't bother many people, for me it is a part of my life that I have put behind me simply because there is so much more quality writing out there that I really don't have time to waste reading what is in effect an advertisement (or an accessory) for a game.
Once again, it does not m
Nathan Burgoine
This was the only book in the cloakmaster cycle that I read, and it wasn't that good. I loved "Spelljammer" as a D&D player, and I loved "Dragonlance," as a world and book series, but man, it just didn't mix well.
Timothy Boyd
Another book based on the D&D game. This time it's magic in space. Recommended
Saara
Feb 10, 2014 Saara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Saara by: Jukka Särkijärvi
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I was given this book back in May of 2012 by a fellow BookCrosser, but I only got around to reading it at the turn of this year. (Yes, I am a very slow reader sometimes, I know.) More enjoyable than I expected, although every few pages my inner editor wished to make it known that the proofreading of the story was poor at best. Will release into the wild in the near(ish) future.
Ronald Wilcox
A nice start to a six book fantasy series set in the Dragonlance world of Krynn that will lead into exploration of alternative worlds and spheres in the universe. Tries to begin tying in some sci-fi elements to the fantasy world.
DavidO
This book has a great premise, a giant space ship that looks like a sailing ship that travels through the space between worlds. But the story isn't really up to the task. It feels generic.
AndrewP
Spelljammer Book. I did not like the whole principal of Spelljammer in AD&D, but it works well enough as a story. Just I wouldn't want to be playing it.
Jesse Powell
Awesome series of books for those who think they've experienced it all in fantasy.
Jim
Jim added it
Jul 30, 2015
Joseph Hernandez
Joseph Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Cory Soule
Cory Soule marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Bill
Bill added it
Jul 10, 2015
Craig Franklin
Craig Franklin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Sebastian Sajda
Sebastian Sajda marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Christopher Daly
Christopher Daly marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Alexey Vyskubov
Alexey Vyskubov is currently reading it
May 06, 2015
  • Into the Void (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #2)
  • The Maelstrom's Eye (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #3)
  • The Radiant Dragon (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #4)
  • The Ultimate Helm (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #6)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • The Citadel (Dragonlance: Classics, #3)
  • Spirit of the Wind (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #1)
  • City of Hawks (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #3)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons (Endless Quest #6)
  • The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)
  • Dragonlord of Mystara (Mystara: The Dragonlord Chronicles, #1)
  • The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1)
  • Monstrous Manual
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1)
  • Striper Assassin (Shadowrun)
  • Knights of the Crown (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #1)
David "Zeb" Cook is an American game designer best known for his work at TSR, Inc., where he was employed for over fifteen years. Cook grew up on a farm in Iowa where his father worked as a farmer and a college professor. In junior high school, Cook playing wargames such as Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg and Afrika Korps. "I was primarily a wargamer, but there wasn't any role-playing available then," al ...more
More about David Zeb Cook...

Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle (6 books)
  • Into the Void (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #2)
  • The Maelstrom's Eye (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #3)
  • The Radiant Dragon (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #4)
  • The Broken Sphere (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #5)
  • The Ultimate Helm (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #6)
Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2101) Dungeon Master's Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2100) Horselords (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #1) Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7) Tome of Magic (Advanced Dungeon & Dragons: Accessory Rulebook)