Start by marking “To Wed a Highlander” as Want to Read:
To Wed a Highlander

To Wed a Highlander (McTiernay Brothers #2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,979 ratings  ·  67 reviews
An Arranged Marriage. . .

Makenna Dunstan has never needed a man's protection before. But when her father's failing health places the safety of the clan in her hands, she has no choice but to marry Colin McTiernay. Fearing the emotions Colin awakens within her, she finds herself succumbing too easily to his lingering kisses and warm caresses. Yet she wonders if she can tru

Published July 1st 2008 by Zebra Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about To Wed a Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Wed a Highlander

Julie (jjmachshev)
"To Wed a Highlander" was my second read by Michele Sinclair. This historical reminded me of a Harlequin historical, but with added length and oomph. There's good guys and bad guys and relationship problems, light drama, and really hot sex!

Makenna is the wild child of the four daughters of the Dunstan Laird. She's also her father's favorite, so when her father asks her to marry her dead sister's husband, she's outraged. Colin is overbearing and arrogant...and he loved her dear dead sister Deirdr...more
Kathleen
I really loved this story. It started off that the H&H could not stand each other. While the story moved along and they realized how very right they were together I could really feel the love building. I loved the way they stood up for each other against all odd's. The love scenes were very well done and plenty of heat through out the book.
After finishing this book there is only one thing for me to do and that is continue on with the next book in this series, Desiring The Highlander.
P.S, th...more
Duchess Nicole
I'm giving this two stars because I know that some people like really cheesy romance. I love romance, but the cliche' lines in this one were just too much for me. I wanted to gag. Here's the one that made me laugh and cringe:

" Her mouth finally free, Makenna asked, "Colin, what's happening? I don't know what's wrong with me. My body feels to be on fire, and yet I crave more."

Snort! Please. The dude was also married to her sister first. That may be another huge no-no for me. No boinking of your...more
Meg Kinch
Jul 03, 2010 Meg Kinch rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meg by: Do you love Highland romance? Do you love a fiery heroine?
To protect the safety of her clan, Makenna Dunstan must marry her dead sister's husband, Colin McTiernay. I found this book very enjoyable from the beginning confrontation to the end battle. There were many ups and downs with this book and I found Michele Sinclair executed the story beautifully. My only contention that I didn't give it five stars was the continual mention of Colin's first love and Makenna's "perfect" sister, Deirdre Dunstan/McTiernay. I found that it continued to wittle down and...more
Dianne
To Wed a Highlander by- Michele Sinclair

This was a very different book, at least to me. The premise is that these two people need to marry to save a Lowland clan. This is a common premise, that of the forced marriage at least on one person’s part, what is uncommon to me is the male protagonist was married to the female protagonist’s sister before she died. Colin loved her very much. And, it wasn't something that he kept quietly to himself. WE did hear a lot about his late wife, but you will soon...more
Nancy
Good book, I liked the characters of Colin and Makenna as a couple. But, maybe I've read too many Highlander romances, and the some of the plots are just sounding the same: Highland couple gets married, one or both of them don't really want to marry the other, the heroine happens to enjoy things that a man would normally do (sword fighting, riding horses, etc)
her husband initially forbids it, the clan doesn't think she will able to be a good "lady of the keep", the heroine rolls her sleeves up...more
Monica
I loved the first book in this series and knew I would like this one as well, however I think so far this one is my fav. The relationship Colin and Makenna were so perfect for each other! I had every emotion known throughout the book. Can't wait to read the next!
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Blown away with Makenna and Colin. What I loved about this book – there’s no misunderstanding, just a love between the couple. The passion and romance, WOW makes me a lot more eager to dig in. I know it’s a good book when I didn’t want it to end.
MsRomanticReads

At the insistence of his ailing father-in-law, Colin McTiernay is beseeched to wed the sister of his deceased wife to strengthen the Drustan clan and train the soldiers like only a Highlander could. Makenna Drustan wants no part in this arranged marriage because she's never liked her overbearing brother-in-law. However, an encounter by the loch takes both of them by surprise when desire between them flares. They reluctantly agree to marry to secure the clan from future attacks by the English. Ma...more
Elis Madison
Makenna Dunstan, daughter of the Dunstan laird, despises Connor McTiernay, the Highlander who was once married to her sickly sister Dierdre. He’s bossy, overbearing, and hands down orders for everyone to follow as if he were already laird of her clan—which he isn’t.

Connor feels about the same way towards Makenna. She’s a defiant little carper who doesn’t know a woman’s place.

What we have here is a mutual admiration society.

Makenna’s dad has invited all the lairds of all the clans hereabouts t...more
Cherie Jensen
This is one of my go-to books when I'm in a certain mood. I don't know how to describe the mood but this is the book for it. I first read it early in my historical romance reading career and it has all the elements I look for in a good romance.

1. An interesting, intelligent heroine who is stubborn enough to maintain her sense of self but not so stubborn as to border or become petulant or stupid.

2. A hero with strength of body and sensitivity. Colin is wary of loving Makenna because he fears losi...more
The Window Seat
Colin McTiernay had already married one Dunstan lass in order to eventually become Laird of the lowland Clan. She was precious to him and he loved her, but she died. Of the 4 remaining daughters, only one remained available and he had no plans to marry that unladylike …. even if it meant securing his bid for Laird of the clan. They could accept him as he was or he would leave and go back to his beloved Highlands.

Aishah Bukhari
Two words; Colin McTiernay. I have never been at awe with a character's amazing skill to come up with well-thought strategies. His leadership skills should be practiced by many men. As many of Highlanders portrayed in highlander romance novels, they are very possessive. And Colin is no different. Lady Makenna, the sharp, spirited lady of Lochlen is also a good character that many can relate to though she was very quick to fall helplessly in love with Colin and getting her heart broken because of...more
Amanda Sheila
I loved it, even though it's not exactly my favorite.

Why, mostly because I was expecting to read about Makenna 'defying' Colin at first but then succumb to him eventually. But this book, their chemistry went a bit too fast. I mean, he hated her and vice versa but then snap, in the blink of an eye they're passionate. I was like really? Hmm.

But overall I enjoyed this book.
Sara Mitchell
Makenna Dunstan's father is dying and he wants to ensure that his clan lives on and he knows both Colin McTiernay and Makenna have a huge challenge ahead of them. Colin and Makenna must get married in order to save the Dunstan clan. Colin is her sister's widow and she hasn't always liked him. Colin and Makenna first resist the marriage but soon realize this is the best option for both of them. Soon Colin and Makenna find a passion that neither expected and realize that they're perfect for each o...more
SW
This was interesting to read, there was a lot more sex in this book than the others I think maybe because they were married so early in the book. I don't know if I like the idea that she married her brother-in-law even if her sister did die... I think I like the other stories better of the other two brothers. But if she writes more I definitely will pick them up!
Sevimli Hırsız
Berbat! Hiç beğenmedim , iki sene burun buruna yaşa didiş dur.İki sene içerisinde eşin ölünce bir öpücükle aradığın kadının eşinin kardeşi olduğunu anla...Bir de ''Vahşi Güzel'' neredeydi çok merak ettim.Atladığım sayfa felan var heralde...Ayrıca kitap derleme gibi hissettirdi.
Julischka
Colin, einer der jüngeren Brüder von Highlandlaird Connor McTiernay hat zwei Jahre zuvor Deidre, die junge, hübsche Tochter von Alexander Dunstan, einem Laird aus den Lowlands geheiratet.
Doch Deidre starb und um den Schutz und den Fortbestand seines Clans zu sichern und Colin sicher zum nächsten Laird zu machen will Alexander, daß Colin Makenna, die jüngere Schwester von Deidre heiratet.
Weder Colin noch Makenna sind von dieser Idee besonders angetan. Makenna hält Colin für einen arroganten, kalt...more
İnci Puyan

McTiernay Kardeşler serisinin ikinci kitabı... Yazarın ilk kitabından daha güzel olduğunu düşünüyorum gerçi ilk kitabını da sevmiştim ama bunu daha çok sevdim. İskoç kitabı okumayalı bayağı olmuştu ve okuyunca işte kitap bu dedim resmen....

Yazarın kalemi çok akıcı, sade ve sürükleyici. Kitap olaylı, savaşlı, kardeş bağlılığı olan ve aşk dolu bir kitap...

Makenna, ev işlerinden anlamayan kadın olmanın ne demek olduğunu bilmeyen, leydiliğin yanından geçmemiş,...more
Roub
at last i got 2 read this book after so much anticipation after months of waiting at last i got 2 read makenna n colin's story. i came across it almost a year ago. well i was not disappointed. the book was really good though not quite up2 my expectations. but then when u set so expectations so high n wait 4 so long, u're bound 2 expect too much. i really did not like dat much focus on conor n laurel towards the end. maybe if i'd read their story, i wud have liked the disruption but as i dunno th...more
Samie Kauchis
I liked this one much better then the first. The story was more engaging, as were the characters. That plus the fact that the author tamed her multiple-POV-syndrome to a more acceptable and less confusing manner... She still had more then I thought was necessary, but she executed it much better.

Now my only issue with this book is the fact that she tried (and failed) to utilize Scottish Gaelic phrases and terms of endearments in this book... Instead she butchered several words and 98% of what she...more
Terree
Colin McTiernay had already married one Dunstan Lass in order to eventually become Laird of the Lowland Clan, but she died and he had loved her. Of the 4 remaining daughters, only one remained available and he had no plans to marry that unladylike …. even if it meant securing his bid for Laird of the clan. They could accept him as he was or he would leave, go back to his Highlands.

Makenna Dunstan would no more marry that dictatorial oaf than… well, she just wasn’t going to! She might not know ho...more
Whitney
*Sigh. I love a good Highlander romance. I was worried when I first started this book because of the situation with a previous wife, who is the heroine's dead sister. I thought I'd find the whole situation icky but I know it was a more common occurrence back than. Luckily, Sinclair did a great job moving from that direction and developing the relationship between Colin and Makenna. Loved the interactions and character development. I will definitely continue this series.
Donna Campbell
I am finding this a extremely enjoyable Highlander series--so what that the guys are dumb about women, what else is new. I do think storyline of Makenna and her dead sister was pretty unique
Maricar
Second installment of Mc Tiernay series. Story of Colin Mc Tiernay and Makenna Dunstan, Colin's first wife was Dierdre, eldest sister of Makenna. I like Makenna's character, brave and passionate. I also like the progress of their relationship, what they have is passion which is lacked in his relationship to his first wife. The whole story is very engaging. I consider it my read-it-in-one-night book. Highly recommended.
Antoinette the Book Junkie
Heavy drama filled with battles, jealousy, greed, resentment, honor, respect, conning, and much more.

Colin meet his match in every way years before, but because he was married at the time he did not see it. His wife did. There is something to say for very smart wives.

Colin is the very strength and leadership her clan needs to survive He is also the man she needs to bring life's passion to her world. Mackenna has more than one seeing her for what she truly is beneath the facade. She has so much m...more
Denise
I enjoyed the plot of this book even more than the first. Colin and Makenna's chemistry was apparent from the beginning. In addition, I enjoyed revisiting Laurel and Conor and seeing that there was still some small conflicts in their marriage.

Unfortunately, the same reasons I had for downgrading the first book held true for this one. So much so that I have decided not to buy the third. This author has apparently done quite a bit of historical research - something I love - but I just can't get pa...more
Niobe13 *wants to read all day*
This was a good diversion after reading a YA and a contemporary romance books. I just love Highlander stories even though the plots are quite cliche and predictable.

What makes this stand-out from other Highlander books that I've read is that the author focused on the emotional aspects of the character/s. I should have been appalled since there was less action scenes & the sex was tedious but I connected with Collin and Mckenna that I really don't mind these flaws.

I guess I'll be putting the...more
Syd
Although I didn't like this book as much as the first in the series, it was still a great read. Again, Sinclair focuses on character development more than plot and I found that a refreshing change from the usual plot heavy books I'm accustomed to reading. Some might find the storyline boring, but I enjoy the slower pace and her focus on the two main characters and their love story. Sinclair artfully ties up all the loose ends and brings the main climatic event to an intense but satisfying head....more
Rachel
LOVED this one! Love Colin and McKenna so freaking much! They are one of those couples that work so well together in the story and the chemistry is palpable. They bring out the best in each other, even if it was against their wills at first. She is a female character I really love and relate to in some ways. The story was good, the writing was much improved, and I did enjoy getting to see more of Connor and Laurel. I hope that I find myself enjoying the next installment just as much.
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #2)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
In need of a creative outlet, I began writing novels after my second child was born. A voracious reader of romance books and a constant dreamer of romantic plots, I was encouraged to put my ideas to paper. I soon found out I loved it...all of it!

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America and of the Georgia Romance Writers.

In addition to writing historical romance novels, I also build large HO...more
More about Michele Sinclair...
The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1) Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3) Tempting the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #4) The Christmas Knight Seducing the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #5)