Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Last Voyage” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Last Voyage

Doctor Who: The Last Voyage (BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives #6)

The TARDIS materializes on board the maiden voyage of a pioneering space cruiser, travelling from Earth to the planet Eternity. The Doctor has just started exploring the vehicle when there is a loud bang, a massive jolt and a flash of light. Shortly afterwards, he discovers that nearly all the passengers and crew have disappeared. Unless the Doctor and flight attendant Sug ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by AudioGO (first published January 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Anna Kļaviņa
so boring.

if not for the david tennant's narration, i wouldn't have finished this.

Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 15, 2015 Callie Rose Tyler rated it it was ok
Another disappointment.

It took forever for this story to get moving and you are almost a fourth of the way through before the Doctor shows up and about half way through before it gets interesting. The beginning is very exposition heavy and despite the amount of information being dumped on the reader there was a lack of setting and none of the information was very interesting or necessary and then once the Doctor appears we get to listen to our one-off companion tell him all the information we al
Nicholas Whyte
Mar 31, 2010 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it

I saw a very favourable review of this Tenth Doctor audio book in DWM, but started off feeling a bit disappointed, particularly after my enjoyment of Dead Air; once again, the Doctor ends up on a ship and has to deal with peculiar forces which appear to be attacking the crew (the fact that I'm also in the middle of rewatching the Second Doctor base-under-siege stories didn't help). But actually it grew on me, really for two reasons: first, Tennant, once
Sara
Sep 15, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, doctor-who, fiction
I've listened to three Tenth Doctor audiobooks in which he doesn't have a companion (the other two are Dead Air and Day of the Troll). They were all good as people are naturally more suspicious of the Doctor when he's traveling alone and he has to win their support. This story had some good funny moments, and I appreciated that the mystery was a bit complicated and wasn't solved at once, though I do feel that some things were left unexplained.

Tennant's narration is marvelous as always. It is wo
Meghan
Jan 01, 2016 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Of the 3 Doctor Who stories I've listened to this is by far the best one. It is David Tennant's 10 to his core. Fun, snarky, and fast paced.

I would really rate this about a 4.5 only because I feel like these stories are the rejected ideas of the show. So there is a feeling of deja vu in all of them. But Abnett has written the most complete story so far. And DT is as charming and fun as on tv.
Hasselhh
Jan 15, 2016 Hasselhh rated it it was amazing
A great Doctor Who adventure. It is surprisingly scary, and the narration by David Tennant makes it a must hear adventure for every whovian!
M.
What was that accent David Tennant was doing for Sugar? Well, whatever it was, he should never do it again. Ever.

Also the only really interesting part was the last quarter of the story. Considering that Dan Abnett wrote The Forever Trap, I was expecting a bit, you know, more.

Virginia
Dec 15, 2016 Virginia rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Dan Abnett is my favorite Doctor Who book series author. His take on the series continues to be fresh and adventurous with well developed characters.
Annie
Oct 17, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
This is worth it to hear David Tenant again as the Doctor, but the story is good.
Cassandra
Bonus star for sending geniune shivers up my spine in the moments of suspense. Aside from that, there are very few praiseworthy qualities.

As a fan of Doctor Who--both the new and classic TV series--I always swore I'd never touch the novels, which seemed to me cheap commercial knock-offs of a good thing, and not anywhere near the thing itself. But since the audio of this one is narrated by 10th Doctor David Tennant himself, I thought I'd give it a go.

As far as the Doctor's lines, Tennant's voice
Megan
Jan 21, 2013 Megan rated it it was ok
Adam Duclos
Feb 18, 2016 Adam Duclos rated it really liked it
annik
Это Voyage of the Damned, только без Кайли. Я так и не смогла полюбить Астрид, отчего-то она меня всю дорогу раздражала. В The Last Voyage вместо белокурых кудряшек спутницей Десятого выступает стюардесса по имени Sugar – милейшей души человек, щедро оглашающий криками и визгами добрую долю повествования. Теннанту, читающему эту книжку, по ходу даже напрягаться не пришлось, девочки у него выходят не хуже мальчиков ;)

Роскошный космический пассажирский крейсер снабдили инновационной технологией ме
Mikael Kuoppala
Jan 09, 2014 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing
"The Last Voyage" is a completely brilliant Doctor Who story that defines what is often so great in this conceptually silly continuum of tales. Dan Abnett is a great author and again he creates a completely nail-biting mystery for the doctor to solve.

The book takes place on a future luxury cruiser that travels the stars on its maiden voyage. Just as the doctor joins the fun with his TARDIS, all the other passengers suddenly disappear. Only one flight attendant remains to assist the Doctor in try
Hollowspine
Jan 25, 2014 Hollowspine rated it liked it
This is the first of two Doctor Who audiobooks I listened to yesterday.

Although I've never read any of the books spinning off from the resurgence of popularity surrounding the television series Doctor Who, listening to them read by David Tennant adds just enough to the stories to get me interested.

My library makes it extremely easy to download and listen to audiobooks on my computer, so easy in fact, that after the Last Voyage, a two hour long, mystery featuring a trans-dimensional something o
Ronja (TheUnicornSheep)
Not as good as the other ones, but still very good.
Katie Brock
Nov 01, 2015 Katie Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
A three hour coach journey to MCM Expo would not have been the same without this audiobook. It would have been so boring!
Thank you Dan Abnett for writing such an interesting concept and thank you David Tennant with your wonderful voice and acting talent.

The Doctor lands on a pioneering new form of space travel, the maiden voyage, but also- as any Doctor Who episode would tell you, the last due to passengers disappearing and strange transparent entities abducting them. The Doctor needs to act fa
Mike
May 08, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
So... This is basically the best. It could be a very good episode of Doctor Who, but it was never produced for television, just as an audiobook. An audiobook read by David Tennant, so you know he gets at least ONE voice absolutely perfect.

It's a fairly standard Doctor Who story, something is happening, something goes wrong, The Doctor shows up and he tries to fix it.
There's monsters, there are characters that help The Doctor and characters that seem only to be there to keep The Doctor from savi
Kate
Jan 17, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
A very detail-oriented travel through space! But a lot of fun, even though it's a dark story and the Doctor is companion-less (implying that this is post-Journey's End, even if you don't look at the publication date). I really enjoyed the Titanic-esque implications (without the presence of Kylie). The only real problem I had was David's American Accent for the voice of Sugar MacAuley. It made me cringe a bit. Maybe on account of the fact that I am an American girl.

On the whole, the story was go
Amanda
Jan 09, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: Lauren
A fun story once I was able to get past David Tennnant's horrible American accent. I listened to this book when I couldn't fall asleep, which needless to say didn't help the lack of sleepiness. A fun sometimes scary romp with the Tenth Doctor and his companion for this book, Sugar McCauley, as they attempt to solve the disappearance of the passengers and crew of a starliner in its maiden voyage. The story had a lot of fun twists and turns and I was on the edge of my seat up to the very end, espe ...more
Adam Graham
Aug 14, 2016 Adam Graham rated it liked it
The Last Voyage is a tale of two halves. The first has the Doctor and Sugar McCaulley plodding through an Interstitial transport device (which is modeled after a space ship.) The story really seems to crawl through the first half of the audiobook with only few touches of mystery piercing the long chain of exposition and technobabble that dominate the book. The story picks up the pace considerably in the second half with a far more spooky and compelling narrative.

David Tennant does a good job re
Jostalady
David reads in his native Scottish accent, which is adorable :) He doesn't exactly sound the way I remember as the Doctor, which confused me at first, but I confirmed that he is the reader and settled past it. It isn't a full cast radio show like the Torchwood, or even other Doctor Who audio books I have listened to. Still, it is nice to hear David's voice.
The story is fun and interesting. I would have really enjoyed a full cast production, complete with sound affects, but this was still a plea
Erin
Jan 31, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Doctor Who meets The Langoliers by Stephen King. That's what this particular book was.

And yeah, that pretty much sums everything about the novel up. More sciency than scary naturally.

The character of Sugar MacAuley was so effing annoying, but I'm not sure if that's the character or simply the way David Tennant voiced her.

Otherwiswe, it wasn't horrible. Most of the voices were well done, and the plot other than being a rip off, was well done.
Meg
Feb 26, 2014 Meg rated it it was amazing
Just finished listening to the David Tennant-narrated audiobook, and I loved it, even without the Doctor-Rose banter I love! Such a great thriller-mystery with just enough plot, action, and character-development to keep the fast-paced story exciting and entertaining the whole way through. I'd definitely recommend it to any Whovian!
Lou
Jul 14, 2015 Lou rated it liked it
Listened to the audiobook version. David Tennant is not only expert at reading the Doctor's lines, but also all the other characters as well so it felt like a full cast rather than just one DW alum. The story itself was fun: tense at all the right spots, light in all the right spots, and quite satisfying if you're in need of a Time Lord fix.
Michelle
Sep 26, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Doctor Who Fans!
Recommended to Michelle by: My friend, Mary
I love Doctor Who and David Tennnant is an amazing narrator! This was a quick story, with tons of adventure and suspense. Mr. Tennant does a wonderful job narratoring the different voices. Sometimes he reads a little too fast, particularly at first, but once I got used to it, I just enjoyed the story. Highly recommended for any Doctor Who fan!
Maggie V
Oct 25, 2011 Maggie V rated it really liked it
Oh, David Tennant, I could listen to your voice all day. This was my first book narrated by him (I have watched the TV series though) and I was pleasantly surprised that the character voices were differentiated (Basically I loved his voice, but wasn't quite conviced that the characters would be unique enough). Also, the story was good ;).
Leah
Sep 05, 2016 Leah rated it it was ok
Library audio. Read by DT. Unremarkably adequate for having on in the background while housecleaning.
Derelict Space Sheep
Mar 08, 2016 Derelict Space Sheep rated it it was ok
42 WORD REVIEW:

The Last Voyage – a somewhat middling spaceship under siege story – would have been a flat read on page, but has some life breathed into it by David Tennant’s engaging narration and redolent-of-Doctor acting. Even so, both premise and prose seem awkwardly belaboured.
Jen
Nov 23, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, 2011
I LOVED this audio book! David Tennant is a wonderful narrator, and was an amazing Doctor in Dr. Who. At just two cd's long, this is a perfect audio for short travel. I'll be "rereading" this one again!
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll
  • Doctor Who: Dead Air
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase
  • Doctor Who: The Last Dodo
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: The Slitheen Excursion
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
  • Doctor Who: Prisoner of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness

BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Forever Trap
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll