Start by marking “What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)” as Want to Read:
What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)

What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder #9)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  888 ratings  ·  55 reviews
It started with a ring. A cheap ring. The yellow metal said brass, notgold, and the sparkly bits were certainly not diamonds. But the ringbelonged to May's horse-playing uncle, who swore it brought good luck.Dortmunder, who wouldn't kick a little good luck out of bed, puts it tothe test when he goes to burglarize Long Island billionaire MaxFairbanks.

As luck would have it,
Published April 11th 2001 by Mysterious Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about What's The Worst That Could Happen?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's The Worst That Could Happen?

Eric_W
Dortmunder is another fine creation of Donald Westlake. He occasionally appears in the Parker stories, but this one is devoted to Dortmunder himself. Things always seem to go wrong and the beginning is no exception. They attempt to burgle a house on Long Island that’s supposed to be empty but it’s a house being used as a trysting place for Fairbanks (pun perhaps?) a thieving executive millionaire and his mistress. He calls the cops and then has the temerity to steal a “lucky” ring off Dortmunder ...more
Mike
Apr 04, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Like many before it, I was inclined to try the “Dortmunder” series by reading Dan’s comments about it. (At least I got that part right.) For some reason, when I went to order a couple of the books, the newest electronic catalog software presented me with only a subset of all of the novels.

(Aside - This is the same software that has claimed the advance interface search string is too long not matter how many characters are in it since Day 1. My attempts to alert the staff librarians to this issue
Carolyn
Ok, this is another re-read for me, but if you want to bring the new year in right, the best way to guarantee your state of mind is the read stuff you KNOW you enjoy. This is by far the best Dortmunder book Westlake has written to date, and any book that can seemlessly include a 'little second-rate burglary at the Watergate' in its plotline must have been developed by an evil comic genius. 'Nuff said.
Lynne
A fun and wacky read. Another "beach book" to keep you laughing with all the crazy antics of a group of crooks and their shady pals. Westlake keeps the plot moving in so many twists and starts that I finished feeling like I'd been running like a crazy person. Whew! A totally delightful escapist read about people I would never want to know.
David
I quite dislike the title of this Dortmunder novel, a question that gets asked several times over the course of the book as if it is a clever refrain: What’s the worst that could happen? The question is ultimately empty, a reference to the sad-sack but light-hearted world of Dortmunder in which the worst never happens. What’s the worst that could happen? Oh, I don’t know, maybe a burglary goes horribly wrong and Dortmunder takes a bullet to the head? Refrains aside, however, this is a good Dortm ...more
Spiros
Apr 24, 2009 Spiros rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone tickled by the idea of using nitrous to heist a Vegas casino
It was a real struggle for me to purchase this book: I was that put off by the pictures of Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito on the cover. But what could I do? I needed to read a Dortmunder, and this was the only one I could get my hands on. Needless to say, I thoroughy enjoyed it: it's a Dortmunder, after all. Still, it was a struggle.
I am not filing this under my "cinerelated" books, since there's absolutely no chance in hell that I will ever see the movie version. A queasy fascination did caus
Paul
The Dortmunder novels always remind me of P. G. Wodehouse novels, except with criminals instead of the landed gentry. Everyone is a damned bumbling fool, and everything is always taking a side trip through Calamity, but in the end the boy gets the girl, or in this case the crook gets the money.

I'm never quite sure if Westlake wrote the Dortmunder novels so that his readers could have fun reading them, or just so that he could have fun writing them, but it works for me either way.
bookczuk
He took Dortmunders ring????? His good luck ring???? The scumbag deserves whatever he got. He had it coming!

(I understand the movie of this was so-so- the book is classic Westlake)

From the Publisher
It started with a ring. A cheap ring. The yellow metal said brass, not gold, and the sparkly bits were certainly not diamonds. But the ring belonged to May's horseplaying uncle, who swore it brought good luck. Dortmunder, who wouldn't kick a little good luck out of bed, puts it to the test when he go
Chi Dubinski
John Dortmunder is a burglar, and when a fellow thief proposes a job at a billionaire’s mansion, he agrees. But the mansion, supposedly empty, is occupied, and Dortmunder’s friend takes off when they hear a noise in the house. Dortmunder is nabbed by the cops, and the billionaire claims that the ring on Dortmunder’s finger belongs to him. Dortmunder escapes from police custody, but is irate that his ring was stolen, and vows to get it back.
Westlake is the master of the humorous caper novel.
Elizabeth
Godalmighty, did I love these books as a child. Hilarity abounds -- I still has the world's biggest soft spot for Stan, and every scene in the bar makes me laugh like a dying hyena (the regulars are comedy gold) and I want to cuddle Dortmunder (and May, dear lord, May), but it's pretty thin other than that. Which is fine! Sometimes, you don't want deep and important literature, and when that is the case, a Donald Westlake is never not a good choice.
Michelle
Jun 04, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone & everyone :)
This is one of the best Dortmunder books I've read. He goes to rob a rich guys house, not counting on him being home. He holds a gun on poor Dortmunder & calls the cops. When the cops show up, the rich guy adds insult to injury by saying John's "lucky ring" is really his. Word gets out how Dortmunder was robbed, and all the crooks band together to help get his ring back. It's a GREAT book!!!!
Ale
After a millionaire thwarts a burglar's attempt to rob his property, and dares steal the burglar's ring, luck reverses as he tries to get his ring back. Very funny and quirky read, not sure I would follow the entire series, but I did greatly enjoyed the book. I could not put the book down while reading through the last stunt.
Roland
Someone suggested I try the Dortmunder novels since I love Westlake's Parker novels but I found it to be a sore disappointment. It's "funny" in a way that never amused me but Westlake is still a good writer so I can understand why people with a more traditional sense of humor might enjoy it.
Maurean
Got this in a box of books...its a little beat up, but still readable; just not his best work, IMO (a bit "hokey")....
PenNPaper52
I discovered this book hidden in a collection of books I had downloaded. I hadn't seen the movie so didn't know what the book would be about. The title was the thing that grabbed my attention. I asked myself, "What is the worst that could happen?" and started reading. The main character is Dortmunder who reminds me of a cat burglar from old black and white movies. He could be played by James Stewart easily I think, the average Joe, with values who steals just because of needs. His loyalty to his ...more
Lora
I always forget how good a writer Westlake is. His characters are always engaging and his plots are clever. This particular book revolves around Dortmunder, a petty thief who is caught in the act robbing the home of Max Fairbanks, a mega-millionnaire. Fairbanks turns the tables as the police prepare to take the burglar away and says that the only thing stolen was the ring on Dortmunder's hand. In spite of his protests, the police take the ring off Dortmunder's finger and 'return' it to the Fairb ...more
John Staats
I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't enjoy this book. I even suspect the many people I know who hate reading or don't read would find this novel accessible. It's immediately charming, interesting and entertaining in the extreme. I haven't see the Martin Lawrence movie (because it's a Martin Lawrence movie) but prospective readers shouldn't expect the book to be anything like it.

What's The Worst That Could Happen? isn't a high-minded meditation on the human condition, it's a comedy. And as Oscar
Gramy
John certainly was a very 'lucky' fellow. Max was an egotiscal jerk. None of the women acted like any I know. I had trouble identifying with any of the characters. This was the first book in this series that I read. I realize now that prefer cozy reads with less unnecessary descriptions. Maybe if I had developed a relationship getting to know the characters through the series, I may have been more interested in the current book.
Jason Reeser
Yet another home run by the best comic caper writer in the business. Here again is John Dortmunder and his hapless gang, going after a Media Mogul jerk who had the audacity/stupidity to make John Dortmunder mad. Not only did he catch Dortmunder red-handed and turn him over to the police, but he also claimed that the ring on John's finger was stolen, and the police, of course, believed the rich guy and took the ring off John's finger and gave it to the guy. Not a good thing. Now John feels it is ...more
John
Yes, I'm fully aware this book features Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito on the cover, but don't let that deter you. This is one of Westlake's Dortmunder books, about sad sack criminal John Dortmunder. In this novel, Dortmunder is robbing a rich man's summer house. The man happens to be there and steals Dortmunder's ring. Dortmunder decides to focus his energy on getting his ring back, as well as various other items that belong to the rich guy. This series is great: funny, dark, and cynical, Dor ...more
John
Ok. I read it. I didn't skip any parts. I finished. So it's 3 stars. But Dortmunder is no Parker. I'll try another Dortmunder if there's no Parker in queue.
Grandma Mush
Lots of fun. Reminded me of "Ocean's Eleven". Action and humor are my thing and this book is full of them. I'll have to read more Dortmunder novels.
Jeannine
This is my absolute favorite Dortmunder. It just builds and builds and totally satisfying.
Zachary
A fun caper novel. A beach read that I enjoyed at the beach.
K
A fabulous light hearted romp. Reminds me of Rex Stout's writing and a very nice way to break up my string of Nordic noir books! I'll definitely read more from Mr. Westlake-- a talented writer.
Marti
a book group selection--any Dortmunder novel by Donald E. Westlake. This is an author whom I don't recall reading before. Dortmunder is a little off the wall, and so are his many friends, or group, or crew. He is also singleminded, especially after he is caught burglarizing a house, and has the billionaire Max Fairbanks claim a recently gifted "lucky"ring as his own. The lengths that Dortmunder goes to are incredible. He is great at planning his moves, and those of the back-up people. It is funn ...more
Susan Katz
Another entry in my Donald Westlake Memorial Summer reading. This is one of my favorites because Dortmunder, for once, has good luck (after the loss of his lucky ring) though he doesn't see it as such because he's so fixated on getting back his ring from the man who stole it right off his finger. It's also lovely to see so arrogant and unlikeable a villain as Max Fairbanks get such a spectacular comeuppance since real life rarely provides such satisfactions.
Steve
book on tape
When Max Fairbanks, a vastly wealthy and powerful magnate, catches John Dortmunder breaking into his Long Island mansion, he thinks he is dealing with some regular loser. It amuses him to deprive Dortmund of his lucky ring. In Westlake's ingenious and dazzling comic thriller, Fairbanks lives to regret that gratuitous humiliation.
hurray for dortmunder! he got the bully.
Ben
As usual, great plotting and hilarious characters. Westlake's writing tends toward the intrinsically entertaining and this book is no exception to that rule. I read a fair amount of it on public transportation and did a decent job of scaring and/or alienating the people around me with my sick cackling. I couldn't help myself kids. Read it and find out why.
David
This Dortmunder novel was much more fun than the movie (starring Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito) about a burglar who gets caught and the cops remove his "lucky" ring and give it to the owner of the house (who is pretty much a crook himself)..

A funny novel-- as always, Westlake's Dortmunder series is funny and clever.
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #5)
  • Anne Perry Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #6)
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more
More about Donald E. Westlake...

Dortmunder (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1)
  • Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2)
  • Jimmy The Kid (Dortmunder, #3)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Why Me? (Dortmunder, #5)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
  • Don't Ask (Dortmunder, #8)
  • Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)
The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1) Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2) The Ax What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14) Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)

“a whole lot of ideas isn’t a plan. A plan is a bunch of details that mesh with one another, so you go from this step to this step like crossing a stream on a lot of little boulders sticking out, and never fall in. Ideas without a plan is usually just enough boulders to get you into the deep part of the stream, and no way to get back.” 0 likes