Here All Along

Here All Along

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Her...more
Published November 17th 2009 by TreasureLine Books

To ask other readers questions about Here All Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here All Along

Musical Chairs by Jen KnoxHere All Along by Lori OstermanMs. Cheevious in Hollywood by Lisa Jey DavisBeyond My Control by Stuart Ross McCallumHow I Became a Fearless Woman by Pamela Jansen
Independent Memoirs
2nd out of 56 books — 77 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Favorite memoirs/autobiographies
287th out of 1,025 books — 1,010 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Working as I do at a conference and retreat center, I have made many friends who are involved with 12-Step groups. One meets addicts grappling with drink, with sex, with spending, with abusive relationships, with talking, to name a few, many of them with a long history of doing heavy lifting with their intellects in order to keep their heads above their emotional undertows. I have learned to admire these people greatly for their courage. The 12-Step programs encourage members to pull no punches....more
Jerry Travis
Dec 18, 2009 Jerry Travis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
It's been said that what makes a truly great author is honesty. An author needs to be honest with their topic, honest with their characters, and above all, honest with themselves. Lori Newman excels in all three of these areas.

Sharing the details of her life was obviously painful for the author, but that pain comes across to us as well, in a powerful way. We feel her fear and confusion as the two men, who once professed that they loved her, join forces to do everything they can to destroy her se...more
Jen Knox
Recounting a true tale of survival is often difficult because life does not provide a clear story arc. Instead, it is filled with unexpected turns, and often one battle is followed by another. Yet, these stories of continuous battles are rarely told because they are rarely given a voice.

After recounting her harrowing, true tale of leaving not one but two abusive relationships, the reader gets an up-close look at what happens in the aftermath of abusive marriages. It is here, after the physical...more
Stuart
Empowering & Courageous Story of Survival

Lori Newman’s memoir, ‘Here All Along’ is an emotion charged journey into the frightening world of abuse.

The story begins when Newman believing she has met her (true love) marries, looking forward to a beautiful life together. Sadly, this is not the case. What follows is a disturbing insight into living your life while being controlled by an abusive, narcissistic husband.

The author doesn’t pull her punches as she brilliantly describes how she finds t...more
Pamela
This was a definite 5 star read. The Author Lori Newman shared in such a courageous manner the process of enduring heart brake and struggle to gain victory over tremendous obstacles. She demonstrated the professionalism that was necessary to gain an audience w/in the legal system. I was very impressed with her stamina to elicit a well deserved victory.
Thank you Lori for showing others that it's not impossible, especially when you believe.
Nikki Crick
Dec 29, 2009 Nikki Crick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I read quite a lot of excerpts from this book as it was being written; but they did not prepare me for the emotional impact this book would have on me! There were tears of despair, frustration, anger and laughter.

Here All Along is an inspirational story of one woman's fight for freedom, her desire to protect her children and finding the strength to believe in herself.

Here All Along catalogues the series of errors and difficulties that Lori faced as she fought for her freedom from two abusive rel...more
Donna Carrick
Here All Along ~ by Lori Newman, reviewed by Donna Carrick December 12, 2009

Here All Along is a courageous true-life account by first-time author Lori Newman of what it’s like to endure and survive the end of 2 unhappy marriages. Told in an unpretentious narrative, the author shares first-hand experiences of abuse, divorce, stalking, and the often-disappointing legal system that sometimes fails to protect those most in need.

This is an honest and at times brutally glaring study of the internal di...more
David Delaney
After reading Lori Newman’s book “Here all along” I have no doubt this inspirational woman should be wearing that famous blue suit with the big red “S” emblazoned on the front, what this young woman went through fighting not only 2 ex narcissist husbands, seemingly unconcerned “help” centre staff, a minefield of a judicial system, total self doubt, at times uncontrollable fear, to me is nothing less than “super” human.

Through this fight Lori eventually found she had tremendous inner strength, ye...more
Sharon
Lori Newman's story of battling two abusive former spouses (who eventually collude against her), the court system and her own self-esteem issues is poignant and gritty.

This memoir may be triggering for women who (like me) have survived domestic violence. Lori's description of the stalking, the nerve-shattering psychological and verbal abuse, and two men using her children as weapons against her (this is, sadly, fairly common) puts you right in the room with her.

Ultimately, this is a tale of trem...more
Maria
I have worked as a lawyer representing victims of domestic violence in the past, and have friends who have been through this trauma, so nothing in this book was necessarily new to me. However, it cannot be stressed enough how important this subject is. Women (and some men) suffer years, decades, lifetimes, in abusive relationships, because they are so broken down by their partner and do not have faith in the justice system that is supposed to be there to help them. It is a very common social pro...more
Kristen
I have the pleasure of reading Ms. Newman's memoir she shared with me in the ebook version. In her book, she described her struggling for finding Mr. Right, when it ended up in an abusive marriage. She endured a lot of pain and heartache, especially how he treated her and her daughter. For ten years, she survived and struggled, until she broke free and got out of it. But it didn't end there. She thought she found someone to protect her, when she married another Mr. Wrong. And this time, she got...more
Shalonda Williams
I don't know if most people know that writing is a healing agent. Thank you Lori for taking us on a journey that was a huge part of your healing process.

Abuse in any form is hard. I congratulate Lori on gathering the strength to write such a ministering story. She made it out of a couple of relationships that could have broken her, but guess what... God said NOT SO!

A true mother is every sense of the word. Not just the one that bore those girls, but she loved them so much that she stood for th...more
Patty Sherry
Here All Along is a memoir with a message: The importance of self-love. I read this book in one night. Lori has an uncanny way of bringing you into her mind and her world. With each turn of the page I could not wait to read what would happen next.

This is a must read for any woman. Lori painfully deals with not one, but two failed marriages and the aftermath of a bitter divorce. These marriages, and the court battles Lori endured became her biggest catalyst for her discover what was within her al...more
Cynthia
I have so much respect for this woman. She not only overcame too many obstacles to count, but she did it with dignity and grace.

Her writing is to the point and still carries heartfelt words. The readability of this book is quick and easy. But the story is riveting and heartbreaking.
Reed
I have come to know Lori a little bit via internet correspondence. She is a delightful person and I am better for the relationship. In this book she tells her story. It is one of courage and determination. I read her book the same day it came in the mail and did it in one sitting because first, the book is short enough you can read it in a couple of hours and second I was compelled to keep turning the pages. The message is timely for our society. It's about an everday real person doing what she...more
Lori Finnila
I want to thank Lori Newman, and anyone else who is in doubt needs to read this book, for making me feel that a very bad relationship that I was in at its worst brinks when I left, I know now I did the right thing where I had questioned all these years for all the abuse I had suffered at others hands since. Now after reading your book I know I did the right thing and I have a final peace to that.
Chris Bullock
I was shocked and amazed by this story, and doubly so when similar problems occurred a second time. It certainly made me think - not only how cruel and vicious some people can be, but most importantly how an individuals strength and tenacity can win through.
Thanks for sharing these experiences.
Cheryl
Apr 12, 2010 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Picked up from a Goodreads ad. Looks interesting!
Michelle
An inspiration...a must read!
Tracy Oliphant
Loved this short book....
Suep
Lori's personal account of two abusive marriages and some of the effects on the children. Basic, text book, story of abuse- very sad.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Beth Roman
Beth Roman marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Rachael Steil
Rachael Steil marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Shafagh
Shafagh marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kim White
Kim White marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Victoria Mullins
Victoria Mullins marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
  • Musical Chairs
  • An ABC Escapade through Egypt
  • Becoming Alice: A Memoir
  • Deception
  • In The Eye of The Beholder:  A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera
  • A Hatful of Cherries
  • A Time to Tell
  • Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1)
  • When Katie Wakes
  • My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir
  • Scarecrows
  • Everything I Never Wanted to Be: A Memoir of Alcoholism and Addiction, Faith and Family, Hope and Humor
  • The Time Cavern
  • The Raven Saint (Charles Towne Belles, #3)
  • Hack: Stories from a Chicago Cab
  • Ghostbread
  • Play Fling
  • Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression
Here All Along is one woman's struggle to leave an abusive marriage, twice. Her struggle through the court system in hopes of finding someone to help protect her and her daughters from her ex-husbands who refused to let go. Her fight to obtain and keep her restraining order three years in a row and finally learning who she could count on to protect her and her children. Here All Along is an inspir...more
More about Lori Osterman...
Finding Your Own Inner Strength Looking To Be Seen Rescue me