Start by marking “Gengis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gengis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)

Gengis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror #2)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  13,322 Ratings  ·  525 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling The Dangerous Book for Boys

BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Conn Iggulden's Khan: Empire of Silver.

For centuries, primitive tribes have warred with one another. Now, under Genghis Khan—a man who lives for battle and blood—they have united as one nation, overcoming moats, barriers, deceptions, and superior firepower only to fa
Published March 25th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Gengis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gengis

Stephen
Photobucket

Oh really? Well, if the above adage is an accurate sentiment, than I think it's equitable to concede that Genghis Khan, ruler of the mightily manly Mongols, vanquisher and subjugator of a quarter of the known world, was...to state it bluntly...the...MAN...
Photobucket

Your enemies don't come more dripping with macho-awesomeness than that!!

This second installment of Iggulden’s Conqueror trilogy begins several years following the events of Genghis: Birth of an Empire. In the first book, we followed Genghis
Mizuki
Dec 24, 2016 Mizuki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My review for the third book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thanks to the editor of the Chinese translated version of this book and all those footnotes in the text, here we can get some Mogul Empire History 101:

(1) Genghis Khan had tons of wives, not just two wives.

(2) the Chi Empire (in other translation: the Jin Empire) and the Xi Xia Empire/Tangut Empire did not share the same ancestor.

(3) there is a 'Buddhist mo
Dan Schwent
Feb 10, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Genghis Khan continues uniting the Mongol tribes and takes them across the Gobi Desert into the lands of the Chin. The Khan's forces sack village after village, until setting their sights on Yenking. Can even the vast horde break an impregnable fortress-city?

Lords of the Bow picks up a couple years after Birth of an Empire left off. While the story wasn't as gripping as Birth of an Empire, it was still good. The most interesting aspects were the ways Genghis inspired confidence in his men. It wo
Alice Poon
This was a gripping page-turner. The author paints a credible picture of Genghis Khan's temperament and psychological tendencies in his decision-making processes and in his dealings with his family, his tribesmen and his enemies.

The story is about how Genghis Khan, having united all the various Mongol tribes, led his army to invade the Xi Xia Kingdom (of Tanguts) and then the Chin (Jin) Empire (of Jurchens). It tells how he developed and improved his assault tactics.

Historical information about
Vagner Stefanello
Mar 11, 2015 Vagner Stefanello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Alguns meses após ter lido O Lobo das Planícies, primeiro livro dessa série do Conn Iggulden, consegui encaixar Os Senhores do Arco na lista infinita de leitura e afirmo: deveria ter lido antes!

Esse segundo volume começa alguns anos após o anterior, quando Temujin havia acabado de se anunciar como Genghis e começado a juntar as tribos em prol de um objetivo maior. Liderados por Genghis e seus homens de confiança, mais de 70.000 guerreiros mongóis atra
Scott  Hitchcock
Another great volume in this saga. The idea of the Mongols rising up and bringing a city the size of Yanking (later Peking and Beijing) is pretty amazing. The author does a great job bringing the characters to life in a believable fashion.
David Sven
Feb 09, 2014 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books starts off with Genghis completing his subjugation of the Mongol tribes under his banner before marching on his hated enemies, the Chin, and we end at the walls of Yanjing (Beijing)

There are a lot of large set piece battles this book, but most notable was the battle of Badger Mouth where the Mongols bypassed the choke point by climbing what the Chin thought were impassable peaks - especially in winter.

I think I liked Genghis coming of age story in the first book better because we got
Negativni
Mar 02, 2017 Negativni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drugi dio počinje uništavanjem zadnjeg otpora spajanju monogolskih plemena u jedan narod, Džingis-kan tako ostvaruje svoj životni san. Nakon toga priprema jednu od najvećih vojnih kampanja u povijesti čovječanstva, osvajanje velikog carstva Jin koje je stoljećima tlačilo njegov narod.

Mislio sam da će mi se drugi dio serijala svidjeti i više od prvog jer sad kreće prava akcija. Iggulden je izbjegao ponavljanje i opisivanje opsada svakog grada i fokus stavio na epsku bitku za glavni grad carstva J
Mark Harrison
Mar 16, 2017 Mark Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent second part of the Mongol story. Genghis now takes the united tribes to fight against the Chin. Quite brilliant battle sequences, subtle espionage in the Chin cities, politics, betrayal, love, death, decapitation, mayhem, chaos and more decapitation. Moves at great pace and, whilst there have been some historical liberties, it is a great read.
Tim The Enchanter
An Entertaining and Bloody 4 Stars

If you don't know any of the history (and likely some mythology) surrounding the infamous Genghis Khan, I suggest you pick up these books and start reading now. While I was aware of the story of his childhood and his early years, I knew very little of his exploits as a war chieftain. While I was aware that he was successful in bringing together disparate Mongolian tribes I was unaware of the sheer ferociousness and determination of these warriors.

This volume
Paul Powers
Sep 15, 2016 Paul Powers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genghis Lords of the Bow is a fast, entertaining read. Writing a book like this must be tough. Balancing Genghis the barbarian and Genghis the family man is difficult. Iggulden does a good job of putting a human face on Genghis and the Mongols, although I think he may have gone a bit too far. These were ruthless men who devastated entire populations and cultures. They killed tens of millions in China alone, and his progeny did just as much damage when they rode their ponies west.

I did not read t
Donna
Oct 17, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book almost as much as the first one in this series. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that I like so much, but there is something about them that grabs me and pulls me in. I knew shortly after starting it, that I would not be doing page math.

Even though this is still fiction, it feels like a glimpse into the way of life for his people. They are always portrayed as the "villain", so getting this perspective is an interesting concept. I can't wait to read the next on
فهد الفهد
سادة البراري

الجزء الثاني من السيرة الملحمية لجنكيز خان، والذي يبدأ من حيث انتهى الجزء الأول، جنكيز يوحد المغول، ويصبح خان أعظم على الجميع، ويبدأ في تحقيق حلمه، وغزو إمبراطورية تشن – الصين -.

الرواية تعرض باحترافية عالية، كل التفاصيل التي ترتبط ببناء الأمة الجديدة، كل الخطط والمعارك الرهيبة، أفكار جنكيز ومحاولته تدعيم جيشه الجديد، بأساليب الحصار، وفتح المدن، هم الذين تعودوا على معارك السهول المفتوحة، والجياد التي لا يردها شيء، كما تتعرض الرواية، لمحاولات الاقتراب من جنكيز، واحتلال أماكن في الدول
Nate
Dec 09, 2014 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages
This was my second experience with this book. The first time through put a markedly bad taste in my mouth after about a hundred and fifty pages and I gave up. I gave it a second shot recently solely because I remember liking the first book a lot and I spent like fifteen bucks on this shit. Thankfully I really liked it this time! I just had to get past the idea of hanging onto even the slightest shred of 21st century Western ideas like, oh..."killing people that are different from you is a bad th ...more
لونا
May 14, 2012 لونا rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اقتباس "لقد أبقونا متفرقين ألف جيل يا كيشون. لقد قاموا باستغلالنا حتى لم نعد أكثر من كلاب متوحشة. ذلك هو الماضي. لقد جمعتُ الشمل، وسوف يرتعشون خوفاً. سأمنحهم سبباً لذلك" جنكيز خان

كانت الصين أو كما أُطلق عليها هنا "إمبراطورية تشن" هي الهدف الجديد "لجنكيز خان"، فبعد أن وحَّد قبائل المغول تحت راية واحدة، قادهم للانتقام من السبب الرئيسي لتشتت المغول. إمبراطورية تشن كانت المسئولة على بقاء قبائل المغول متفرقة بالرشوة ودعم التتار بكل الوسائل لإرهاب المغول. وبعد أن وحَّد "جنكيز خان" المغول وقضى على ال
Rachel
Jan 06, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the authors I've read, I say Conn Iggulden holds the place as having the best writing style. He has nearly mastered the art of writing because he knows what to write and how to write it. (One can never master language. There's always another angle to set this complex gift of God.)
Writing is sometimes like cooking, and he knows just how much of each ingredient he should add.
The story is not weighed down with description, yet the writing is not dull. His characters are realistic and the h
Tariq Mahmood
Fascinating insight into the mindset of the world's greatest conquerer in written history. The tribes are united under the great Khan and have moved to test their mentor against the Chin. It's raw and ruthless steppe skills pitted against the well orchestrated and structured city powers. Tough soldiers against sedate armies could only have one result. Conn has managed to present this phenomenal era of history in a very captivating manner indeed. I really enjoyed the depiction.

It does seem that
Alex
Feb 26, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conn Iggulden's masterful writing skills make this book a joy to read. The author maintains as much of the historical fidelity as possible and fills in the gaps where needed. If the first book of the series covered Genghis' troubled youth, in Lords of the Bow we see a full grown leader on a warpath. Although the scenes described are often extremely violent they only attempt to give us an idea of life and death in the 13th century and they help build the image of Genghis Khan.

Marcos
Sep 09, 2015 Marcos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A leitura foi um pouco mais arrastada do que a do primeiro. O ritmo melhora da metade pro final.
Emerson
3,5 Gabystars
Um bom livro, mas inferior ao primeiro da série.
Luca Lesi
Jul 19, 2015 Luca Lesi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le nostre vite sono come uccelli che volano davanti a una finestra illuminata per poi tornare nel buio. Ciò che importa è non causare sofferenza e difendere le creature più deboli. Solo così la nostra vita diventa un lampo di luce in grado di rischiarare le tenebre per molte vite future.
description
Molto bello anche questo secondo libro dedicato alla storia del Kan e alla creazione di uno dei più vasti imperi creati nella storia.
Avvincente, crudo a tratti, ha il pregio di unire ad una scrittura scorrevole,
Brian Turner
Feb 21, 2017 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times I was disappointed with this book.

After Iggulden spent so much time in the last one building up the character of young Genghis Kahn - and making him sympathetic - there was surprisingly little personal development here. We had a couple of scenes with him and his sons, but little more.

I also struggled to understand why we followed Temuge for so much of this story around Baotou, when he didn't actually do anything other than follow Khasar and feel scared a lot.

However, the way the writin
Mark Halse
I didn't like this book as much as it's predecessor. That's not to say that I didn't like it. It is well written and very interesting.

The first problem was that there just wasn't enough Genghis Khan in this book. The first book shifted POVs frequently and focused on other characters however whole chunks of this book barely mention ol' Temujin for chapters! Unacceptable!

My second issue was with the battle scenes. Not many people can write a good battle scene (by good I mean understandable enough
Lee Broderick
I probably didn't make it clear in my review of Wolf Of The Plains , that I felt that a large part of my enjoyment of that book derived from reading it in the steppe. In fact, I had some reservations about the quality of the writing but it just about managed to keep me engaged and the narrative afloat. So, far better then to wait until I was next in the steppe to read the second, right?

In spite of my location, this book has now joined a very small elite group of novels that I just cannot bring
Mohamed
Mar 04, 2017 Mohamed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الجزء الثاني من سيرة جنكيز حان و في هذا الجزء ينقسم الكتاب الى قسمين
في القسم الاول يسعى جنكير خان لتوحيد قبائل المغول اما بالاتفاق او بالحرب و تنصاع تحت لوائه جميع القبائل بعد ابادته لقبيلة النيميز و يتجه بعد ذلك الى الانتقام من ممكلة تشن او الصين لما فعلته بهم من تشريد و تفريق و يتوجه لمملكة كزي كازيا و يستطيع عبور السور العملاق ويبيدهم فى منطقة السهول و لكنه لم يستطع دخول المدينة لاسوارها العالية فيحاصرها و في النهاية يلجاء ملك كزي كازيا للهدنة مع جنكيز خان الذي يقبل الهدنة و لكنه في نفس الوق
Lance Greenfield
The brilliant second installment of the Conqueror series

Having united the tribes into the unified nation of Mongols, Genghis Khan and his brothers lead their great army into the land of the Chin. They encounter a new type of warfare, besieging great cities with high, strong walls and massive defensive weapons.

Keeping the tribes united is a difficult task and relies upon the brains of the great khan combined with his, sometimes shocking, ruthlessness. It works.

There are many sub-adventures, and t
Terri
This book was a huge surprise for me because I really wasn't into the first book in this series (this being book 2). I can't even remember how many stars I gave the first one, but I found the story really quite boring.
This book, Lords of the Bow, was completely different. I enjoyed it start to finish. The action was thrilling and the storyline was always engaging.
In the first book of this series, Ghengis is Temugin and he is a boy for most of the book. By the end of it he starts to unite the tri
Suha
سادة البراري الحزء الثاني مم سلسلة تروي قصة جنكيز خان المغولي وكيف حرق ودمر مدن في طريقه..
اعجبني ان الكاتب يذكر الحقائق التي غيرها او لم يذكرها، اما بالنسبة للاحداث القتل والحرق فكانت قاسية ،المغول شعب لم يستخدم اي شي لبناء مدينة او تعلم الطب والعلوم الاخرى!! دائما عندما اذكر المغول اتذكر وصف نهر الفرات بأنه اصبح ازرق بسبب الحبر والكتب التي ضاغت للابد مع الاسف..
سوف ابدأ بالجزء الثالث وللوقت الحالي تمت ترجمة 4 اجزاء من السلسلة والتي اسمها الفاتح ! طبعا لايستحق اسم الفاتح ابدااا..
Tanja Berg
Jul 18, 2015 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4* out of 5. This was really good, although it did not quite live up to the first book. Part of the reason for this is that Genghis Khan takes on a bit of super human quality and does not feel as real in this installment. Nonetheless, this is a very solid historical semi-fiction and superbly readable.
Page count is wrong. 1 30 Sep 01, 2012 09:37AM
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
  • Sharpe's Siege (Sharpe, #18)
  • Dawn Of Empire (Eskkar Saga, #1)
119121
Also publishes under author name - C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in
More about Conn Iggulden...

Conqueror (5 books)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)

“We are from a line of khans, brother. We rule wherever we are placed.” 5 likes
“He chuckled to himself as he walked. A warm woman and a battle to come. To be alive on such a night was a wondrous thing.” 3 likes