Start by marking “Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library” as Want to Read:
Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library

Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Cary knows what she would do if she were the librarian. She'd invite all the animals into the library and share her favorite books with lions, bears, peacocks, and monkeys. But the trouble is, not all animals get along with each other. That's where Cary's trouble begins in this lively story from the creator of Corduroy.
Published November 12th 2009 by Puffin Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library

Aletheia Ubben
A quirky, light, clever story that captures the imaginings of a child. (Aletheia's review: I helped hold the book! However Mom was slower than usual at turning the pages...)
Rosa Cline
Such a precious book! You can tell it was written a few years ago as it's not the 'same ole same ole' that most of the newer books are. Mr Freeman does a wonderful job on the storyline and the illustrations. A little girl goes to the library (which encourages children to go and enjoy the library) and visits with the nice librarian and then sits with a book with some other boys just enjoying being there. Her imagination takes off with her and she imagines she's the librarian and she has an animal ...more
Carrie
LOL!!! Those of you who know my knickname at work is Carrie Canary will understand why this is so funny. A little red haired girl goes to the library every Saturday, and as she reads her book she dreams up the way she would run the library if she were in charge. The ending is absolutely perfect.
Thanks to Sadie for leaving this precious book in my locker.
Rachel
Whenever I think of Don Freeman, I always think of Corduroy the Bear (which I've somehow never read), although I did enjoy his book "Fly High, Fly Low". This book was adorable. Although a little long, I think it would be great for a toddler storytime on reading or the library. Cary is a young girl who loves going to the library and picking out books to read, recommended by Mrs. Curtis the librarian. One day, as she is reading a book about the zoo, she imagines that she is a librarian. The first ...more
Dolly
Jun 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, library
This is a fun book about a little girl imagining she ran the library and all the animals who would come and visit to read books. It's silly and fun, and has Don Freeman's cute illustrations. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Naomi
I am shocked I love Don Freeman's Corduroybooks, but this one did nothing for me. Young girl imagines a library for animals and then it goes haywire. Pretty predictable and boring overall.
kim
you can tell this is an oldie via the illustrations and the way the story is told. I don't get the title though, yes it's about being quiet in the library and yes there is a canary, but it's not just about a canary. why the title? overall it's good enough though
Rain Misoa
Jul 26, 2015 Rain Misoa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE WHO LOVES BOOKS!
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute fun read about being in a library!

To read my full review, click here.
Joy
A book from my childhood! I purchased it recently and enjoyed it all over again. It is obviously dated, but still charming. :)
Jayna
All ages

A little girl imagines what it would be like to be a librarian and to have a bird and animal day at the library. At first everything is going well and all of the animals are behaving themselves, but after the arrival of a group of mice all of the animals are agitated. Luckily a canary sings to the animals, calming them down and Cary tells them it is time to go home.

You could use this book for a story time about libraries or zoo animals. You could also talk to the children about what the
Emily Farmer
Dec 04, 2012 Emily Farmer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kindergarten and 1st graders
Cary wishes she was a librarian so that she can have an animal day at the library. When she dreams of her day there are giraffes, bears, lions, horese, cows, etc. When the mice show up then all the the animals make a reckus. The canary is the one to quiet them all down. Then she realizes she talked out loud and woke up from her dream. This book was just a cute story with semi good pictures.
Meghan
A nice story about Cary and her trip to the library. She imagines what she would do if she were the librarian - host an Animal and Bird Day. The book was published in 1969 and something about the overall pacing of the story and muted illustrations indicate its age.

Edited to add that I used this for a Kindergarten class visit and it was a HIT.
Jamie
This is a fun picture book about the power of imagination & the power of books. I love the scene when the little girl thinks, "If I were a librarian I know what I would do," and then goes on to have a special day in the library just for animals.

It would make a fun read aloud for younger elementary students who are new to a school library.
Libby
I give it 4 stars (I'd probably give it 3), only to remind myself that my 1.5 year old son really really likes it- mostly because he just really likes animals. I'm unsure why this is the title, but I like the crayon illustrations and I love the little girl's hair when she imagines she is a librarian.
Leslie
Fun story about Cary, who wishes she were a librarian. Cary decides that she would invite animals into the library too, which is a great idea until the mice show up! The Kindergartners loved this one! A clever book from the author of CORDUROY.
Heather Moss
This is a fun book that I bought for my toddler niece; she seems to enjoy the quaint language and laughing at the animals. I thought the vintage-looking illustrations were really cute.
Bethany
I love this book. Seriously. Love. It's now one of my standard books to read to classes/daycares that are taking tours of the library. Animals where they ought not be? Count me in.
Rakisha
If you love the classic children's books of Don Freeman, you'll love this incredibly adorable book. It would be perfect for K-2 grade class visits to the library.
Emma (Miss Print)
Didn't love the stereotypical librarian bun but quite charming. I don't know why I always worry about what I'll find in a Freeman book--they're always enchanting.
Tricia
Good read aloud about libraries/animals with animal sounds and exclamations. Girl imagines animals in her library if she were librarian. Cute. Viv loved it.
Angie
Coruroy is one of my very favorite books and I'm delighted to read another lovely tale by Don Freeman. This on is for all the little future librarians.
Denis A.
I have to add this one to my kid's library. He loved reciting the names to all the animals and the story kept him entertained the whole way thru.
Mckinley
Is this why I was interested in becoming a librarian?

"If I were a librarian I know what I would do," she said.
Raymonde Georgia-Lee
Dec 14, 2007 Raymonde Georgia-Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all book lovers
there is an endless imagination of the innocent child sitting amongst the never-ending literary lines 'a-la library'.
Christine Turner
Cary imagines a special day at the library when she invites only animals and birds to browse. www.hcpl.net
Chelsea
The little girl in the book has quite an imagination. The pictures are simple yet tell the story perfectly.
Paula

Describes Cary's special day at the library when she invites only animals and birds to browse.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • Apple Trouble!
  • The Library Dragon
  • The Library
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...
Corduroy A Pocket for Corduroy Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever! Dandelion Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)

“And out the door she flew” 3 likes