Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library

Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Cary knows what she would do if she were the librarian?she?d invite all the animals into the library and share her favorite books with lions, bears, peacocks, and monkeys. But the trouble is, not all animals get along with each other. That?s where Cary?s trouble begins in this lively story from the creator of Corduroy.

Published November 12th 2009 by Puffin (first published 1969)

Carrie
LOL!!! Those of you who know my knickname at work is Carrie Canary will understand why this is so funny. A little red haired girl goes to the library every Saturday, and as she reads her book she dreams up the way she would run the library if she were in charge. The ending is absolutely perfect.
Thanks to Sadie for leaving this precious book in my locker.
Dolly
Jun 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, library
This is a fun book about a little girl imagining she ran the library and all the animals who would come and visit to read books. It's silly and fun, and has Don Freeman's cute illustrations. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Erin Kinstler
'Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library' is sort of a "reverse" book for Don Freeman. Usually (like my past two reviewed books as examples), Don Freeman has a talking animals or object as the main character, with second hand background human characters. This book is different because the main character is a little human girl, with second hand background animal characters. This would be a GREAT book for any classroom around career day/week, because it fantasizes about future careers, in this case...more
Jayna
All ages

A little girl imagines what it would be like to be a librarian and to have a bird and animal day at the library. At first everything is going well and all of the animals are behaving themselves, but after the arrival of a group of mice all of the animals are agitated. Luckily a canary sings to the animals, calming them down and Cary tells them it is time to go home.

You could use this book for a story time about libraries or zoo animals. You could also talk to the children about what the...more
Emily Farmer
Dec 04, 2012 Emily Farmer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: kindergarten and 1st graders
Cary wishes she was a librarian so that she can have an animal day at the library. When she dreams of her day there are giraffes, bears, lions, horese, cows, etc. When the mice show up then all the the animals make a reckus. The canary is the one to quiet them all down. Then she realizes she talked out loud and woke up from her dream. This book was just a cute story with semi good pictures.
Meghan
A nice story about Cary and her trip to the library. She imagines what she would do if she were the librarian - host an Animal and Bird Day. The book was published in 1969 and something about the overall pacing of the story and muted illustrations indicate its age.

Edited to add that I used this for a Kindergarten class visit and it was a HIT.
Jamie
This is a fun picture book about the power of imagination & the power of books. I love the scene when the little girl thinks, "If I were a librarian I know what I would do," and then goes on to have a special day in the library just for animals.

It would make a fun read aloud for younger elementary students who are new to a school library.
Libby
I give it 4 stars (I'd probably give it 3), only to remind myself that my 1.5 year old son really really likes it- mostly because he just really likes animals. I'm unsure why this is the title, but I like the crayon illustrations and I love the little girl's hair when she imagines she is a librarian.
Leslie
Fun story about Cary, who wishes she were a librarian. Cary decides that she would invite animals into the library too, which is a great idea until the mice show up! The Kindergartners loved this one! A clever book from the author of CORDUROY.
Heather Moss
This is a fun book that I bought for my toddler niece; she seems to enjoy the quaint language and laughing at the animals. I thought the vintage-looking illustrations were really cute.
Bethany
I love this book. Seriously. Love. It's now one of my standard books to read to classes/daycares that are taking tours of the library. Animals where they ought not be? Count me in.
Rakisha
If you love the classic children's books of Don Freeman, you'll love this incredibly adorable book. It would be perfect for K-2 grade class visits to the library.
Emma (Miss Print)
Didn't love the stereotypical librarian bun but quite charming. I don't know why I always worry about what I'll find in a Freeman book--they're always enchanting.
Tricia
Good read aloud about libraries/animals with animal sounds and exclamations. Girl imagines animals in her library if she were librarian. Cute. Viv loved it.
Angie
Coruroy is one of my very favorite books and I'm delighted to read another lovely tale by Don Freeman. This on is for all the little future librarians.
Denis A.
I have to add this one to my kid's library. He loved reciting the names to all the animals and the story kept him entertained the whole way thru.
Mckinley
Is this why I was interested in becoming a librarian?

"If I were a librarian I know what I would do," she said.
Raymonde Georgia-Lee
Dec 14, 2007 Raymonde Georgia-Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all book lovers
there is an endless imagination of the innocent child sitting amongst the never-ending literary lines 'a-la library'.
Christine Turner
Cary imagines a special day at the library when she invites only animals and birds to browse. www.hcpl.net
Chelsea
The little girl in the book has quite an imagination. The pictures are simple yet tell the story perfectly.
Paula

Describes Cary's special day at the library when she invites only animals and birds to browse.
Morgan
I love animals. I work in a library. I have red hair and a wild imagination. This is my book.
Megengelter
girl dreaming about being a librarian and inviting all sorts of animals in!

fun!
Rebecca
This book is what happens when a little girl's imagination runs wild in the library.
Rachel
Animals join a girl in the library. Quite a bit of fun, good imagination.
Cat
Cute and funny and Zoe and I both liked it.
Kimberly
Not a great book, but my 3 year old likes it.
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...
Corduroy A Pocket for Corduroy Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever! Dandelion A Rainbow of My Own

“And out the door she flew” 3 likes