Start by marking “Aldous Huxley” as Want to Read:
Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley

The son of biologist T. H. Huxley, Aldous Huxley had a privileged background and was educated at Eton and Oxford despite an eye infection that left him nearly blind. Having learned braille his eyesight then improved enough for him to start writing, and by the 1920s he had become a fashionable figure, producing witty and daring novels like CROME YELLOW (1921), ANTIC HAY (19 ...more
Published June 9th 2007 (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Aldous Huxley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aldous Huxley

Tamara
Apr 15, 2008 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Huxley fan
Recommended to Tamara by: A good friend
I don't read biographies much. This book however, was quite good. Very smart. There was nothing deeply personal and internally moving about its recall of Huxley’s life, just the quick moving chronological clime of a great author and his spiritual remedies. I did not weep at the telling of Huxley’s death in this account, instead I put the book down having marveled at his life.
Val
A group I belong to was reading Huxley in Hollywood, but I could not find a copy of that book and decided to read this one instead. I read the few short chapters covering the Huxley's time in the USA and found them concise and informative, so I wondered how an author could stretch them into an entire book (lots of name-dropping and descriptions of parties, according to another group member).
I returned to the book a few weeks later and read more of it, but had not finished before It was due back
Jake
May 31, 2014 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great biography, and one that does an amazing job weaving Huxley's ideas and his unique and often misunderstood character.

If one judges Huxley based on his novels alone, they will probably come away with the conception of a pessimistic, detached intellectual who cynically marvels at the stupidity of other human beings. There is a grain of truth here, particularly in his early writings, but it is far from the full story.

Those who knew Huxley often described him as "serene" and almost other-worldl
David
Aldous Huxley:A Biography by Nicholas Murray was an enjoyable read and a good introduction to Huxley's life.

There are moments where the biography is a strained. For example, when the author attempts to incorporate Maria's, Huxley's first wife, bisexuality into Aldous' life. This is never done smoothly and it reads almost as if Mr. Murray felt they needed to do this but did not really know how to go about it.

For the most part, however, Murray's biography of Huxley is a good introduction to the
Sull
Jan 15, 2011 Sull rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Massive book, which I didn't quite finish. Interesting fellow I didn't know much about. I remember his novels scattered around my parents' house when I was growing up--"Eyeless in Gaza", "Antic Hay"--and of course I read "Brave New World" in high school. These icons of my childhood are a bit freaky--see John Cheever. Huxley was chock-full of ideas of all kinds, scientific, social, psychological, medical.... the man simply never stopped thinking. I found the thinking parts exasperatingly boring ( ...more
Kathy
Jun 09, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Murray's biography is an excellent introduction to Huxley's intellectual life. The chronology is meticulous. For those well-read in Huxley's main interests, you'll forgive the pun that this biography offers superb insight into the mechanics of Huxley's genius life.

I'm hopeful that Sybille Bedford's (what is considered the definitive) biography of Huxley will shed light on Huxley's internal, emotional workings.
David
Oct 05, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great biography of a fascinating author. I only bought it because I'm working on a project relating to his last novel, Island, but I really enjoyed reading the book. I'm curious to read Bedford's biography, which I believe is far more extensive than this.
Lobke Minter
Aug 01, 2012 Lobke Minter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A biography that illuminates the man as well as his work.
A must read for anyone who has ever read "Brave New World" and wondered what mind could come up with something so unique.
Caitlin Marie
I bought it but haven't cracked it yet, I'm waiting for a good time to completely focus on this one.
Peter
Mar 30, 2016 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Superb.
Meredith Walker
contained some interesting information, providing insight into where his literary ideas may have originated.
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2009
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2017
David Hendry
David Hendry rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Cam Webb
Cam Webb rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Ryan B.
Ryan B. rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Roger Green
Roger Green rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Kara Appelgate
Kara Appelgate rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2007
Janko Andrijasevic
Janko Andrijasevic rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Vbfg
Vbfg rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Joshua Eli
Joshua Eli rated it really liked it
May 08, 2011
Kevjata
Kevjata rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Kellen Corrallo
Kellen Corrallo rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Sead
Sead rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2016
  • Poets in a Landscape
  • Teacher
  • The American Years
  • Worlds at War: The 2,500-Year Struggle Between East and West
  • The Pope and the Heretic: The True Story of Giordano Bruno, the Man Who Dared to Defy the Roman Inquisition
  • Advertisements for Myself
  • Ford: The Men and the Machine
  • The Invisible Century: Einstein, Freud, and the Search for Hidden Universes
  • The Indian Mutiny: 1857
  • In Search of Wagner
  • Masters of the Universe: Hayek, Friedman, and the Birth of Neoliberal Politics
  • Dr. Johnson and Mr. Savage
  • Proust at the Majestic
Nicholas Murray is an English biographer, poet and journalist.

More about Nicholas Murray...

“[Huxley's Perennial Philosophy is concerned with] the need to love the earth and respect nature instead of following the example of those who 'chopped down vast forests to provide the newsprint demanded by that universal literacy which was to make the world safe for intelligence and democracy, and got wholesale erosion, pulp magazines, and organs of Fascist, Communist, capitalist, and nationalist propaganda.' He attacked 'technological imperialism' and the mechanisation which was 'increasing the power of a minority to exercise a co-ersive control over the lives of their fellows' and 'the popular philosophy of life... now moulded by advertising copy whose one idea is to persuade everybody to be as extroverted and uninhibitedly greedy as possible, since of course it is only the possessive, the restless, the distracted, who spend money on the things that advertisers want to sell.” 2 likes
“...one is creeping into middle age and is less easily distracted by one's appetites, which have grown feeble, and by one's passions, which seem such a bore - all but the consuming desire for knowledge and understanding. That grows. - Aldous Huxley” 1 likes