Start by marking “Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival” as Want to Read:
Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival

Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival

In the past decade, home coffee roasting has gone from a small but growing trend to an increasingly mainstream audience. Still, for many in the current generation of coffee lovers, roasting remains a mysterious process. In this completely revised, expanded edition of his classic Home Coffee Roasting, James Beard Award nominated Kenneth Davids reveals the secrets to simple,
Paperback, Revised Updated Edition, 256 pages
Published November 20th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Home Coffee Roasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Coffee Roasting

Jun 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Not a bad introduction but glad I didnt buy it. The history is interesting. We simply don't think of our grandparents roasting their own beans but they did. The availability of pre-roasted beans is relatively new. sounds like the initial advertising campaigns to get people to buy roasted beans was heavy handed messaging, as in roasting your own was something that only the backward people did. In the end, it moved out of the home where it was a leisurely task done with companions (that produced a ...more
Nathan
Jan 08, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
Lets be honest, It does not seem that hard to start roasting coffee.
You Google air roaster and next thing you know you have modded your families air popper to roast coffee and are starting your kitchen on fire. (By fire I mean, FIRE!)
Then you get a roaster for christmas, and off you goto roasting, the ability to have a book sitting beside you as you roast is awesome, reading it at night before bed deciding the new style you want to try, even better.
The book is well written, nicely put together,
Noppadol Weerakitti
Dec 30, 2015 Noppadol Weerakitti rated it it was amazing
If you are start falling in love with home coffee roasting and willing to dedicate your free time at home with your own coffee profile and happy drinking with just-roasted-yesterday fresh coffee bean which is impossible to get from any coffee shop near by, this is a book you really need to have it with you. Kenneth Davids is a real guru on this area.
Nathan
Sep 11, 2013 Nathan rated it liked it
A good overview of the history and process of coffee roasting. Not as valuable as a how-to guide, but there are many online resources available (sweetmarias.com) for anyone interested in giving home-roasting a try.
Matthew Smith
Apr 20, 2015 Matthew Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Good book, very in-depth- but if you already have other book on the topic of coffee, 90 percent of this book will just reiterate this bayou already know. Lots of links and references for you to go other places in the web for product and info
Andrew
May 12, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: food-books
This didn't really have any new information for me that I've not already read online. There is a fair bit of history of coffee roasting - but I don't care about that! My favorite part was detailing coffee vocabulary - I find it really hard to describe tastes so focusing on that was helpful.
Andrew Landry
Mar 22, 2013 Andrew Landry rated it it was amazing
Great intro to home roasting and also has some useful info on bean selection and characteristics of coffees from different origin countries, as well as local practices that have an effect on the flavor in the cup. It might even be a good read for coffee snobs who have no intention of home roasting.
Amanda
Jun 27, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the history of espresso and/or home coffee roasting
*tips on perfecting a roast
*proper coffee cupping/ tasting
*How to create your own blend
*The history of coffee roasting
Dan
Feb 15, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
This was a great companion to pull from when roasting coffee. Still flip through it as a reference.
Adam Hobbins
Jan 04, 2014 Adam Hobbins rated it liked it
Really good intro to home roasting. I checked this out from the library, but its a good enough reference I may wind up buying a copy to have on hand while roasting.
Chuck
Sep 14, 2008 Chuck rated it really liked it
My wife and son gave me a coffee roaster for Father's Day...and this book was recommended by one of the green bean sellers (Sweet Maria's). I've been going through it and find it quite useful.
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Kace Perry
Kace Perry rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Jonathan Wagner
Jonathan Wagner rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Gregory Sinden Jarvis
Gregory Sinden Jarvis rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Ron Sparks
Ron Sparks rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Josh Miller
Josh Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Sean Smith
Sean Smith rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Les Orchard
Les Orchard rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2010
Oleg Rivkin
Oleg Rivkin rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
May 16, 2008
Ethan Lake
Ethan Lake rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Liz Muck
Liz Muck rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
J. R. Longsdorf
J. R. Longsdorf rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Guy Parker
Inspiring when I started my roasting adventure
RW
RW rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Jeni
Jeni rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Timothy Ramsey
Timothy Ramsey rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Csaba Tamás Ferencz
Csaba Tamás Ferencz rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Joy of Coffee: The Essential Guide to Buying, Brewing, and Enjoying
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • Everything But Espresso
  • The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • The Bartender's Black Book
  • All About Coffee
  • The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee
  • Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
  • Brewing Justice: Fair Trade Coffee, Sustainability, and Survival
  • Javatrekker: Dispatches from the World of Fair Trade Coffee
  • Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners
  • The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
  • Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
  • Anyone Can Do It: Building Coffee Republic From Our Kitchen Table: 57 Real-life laws on entrepreneurship
  • Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen
  • Coffee Life in Japan
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume II: From Augustine to the Eve of the Reformation
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant

“That romance is nowhere as vividly encapsulated as in that moment when a pile of hard, almost odorless gray-green seeds is suddenly and magically transformed into the fragrant vehicle of our dreams, reveries, and conversation. To be the magicians waving the wand of transformation makes that metamorphosis all the more stirring and resonant.” 0 likes