Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens” as Want to Read:
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  620 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The author of the bestselling Don't Sweat the Small Stuff series has turned his attention to teens. In his new book, Richard Carlson offers tips and advice covering a variety of topics. In the introduction, he writes of his own experience when he was a teen. His life consisted of the everyday ups, downs, dramas, and catastrophes that every teen lives through. But at the co ...more
Published September 6th 2000 by Hyperion (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens

Clarisa
Feb 09, 2016 Clarisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Clarisa by: Cynthia Z.
Being that I'm at the end of my teen years, a lot of this information I've already learned or found as common sense (like appreciating your parents - not taking them for granted) so this book was really just repeating everything I knew. But there were still new tips (like rate how big a deal something is so you won't blow it out of proportion) that were listed among the 100.

It's funny, because as I was reading it brought up one of my friends to mind, thinking surely they would benefit much more
Alex
Feb 21, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens" is a decent book about teaching teens to reduce daily stress. While I did enjoy reading it most of the time, there were instances where I just wanted to get it over with.

Many tips (there are 100 of them in all, each one of them a 2 to 3 page-long chapter) were useful and I believe I will be using at some point in my life. It's worth noting that it's thanks to this book that I've started meditating every day. However, some tips feel obvious and at times eve
Patrice Sartor
Reading Level: Adult. Over a decade ago Richard Carlson wrote the original Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff: And It’s All Small Stuff. This title was a huge bestseller, and spawned not only a number of spin-offs by Carlson, but at least one parody too. And now we have a version for teens. I found this in the library while I was looking for some other titles. I hadn’t planned on including it, but I took it home and read through it, and knew this needed to be in my collection.

The book is small and simp
Samantha
In the morning and you're running out and okay you got all your books, ate breakfast, got dressed and you have about 5 minutes to get out and be off to school. Oh wait your hair you can't leave it like.OMG! What are you gonna do. Or when you get to school and Sally is talking about you again, yes it so annoying. Things like this are what you shouldn't STRESS about. If you think that this is hard it's okay. Help is on the way. This is the book to save you from the bad old habits that makes you ST ...more
Carrie
Carrie Ackerson
Informational

What “teen angst” an ongoing byword, Dr. Richard Carlson gives us 100 short essays advising teens on how to find and keep serenity. His suggestions range from taking up yoga to looking for the positive (not the negative) things that happen to all of us in our lives. We as readers are always aware that an adult is writing. Dr. Carlson manages to make his advice paternal or professional without “talking down” to teens. The impact of this book is dulled by hasty reading;
Taylor
Mar 04, 2016 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read with short two-three page chapters. I would just read one or two chapters here and there and before I knew it I had finished it. Not only was it easy to read and understand but it was interesting and insightful. The author, Richard Carlson, uses his own life experiences and those of others to show how each of his strategies can be easily accomplished and how much they really help. Almost every chapter he had several different stories from people who had written to him, ...more
Bethany
Mar 18, 2009 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really think this is an excellent book, for teens and people who are stressed--like me. I'm getting over a lot of stress and learning to handle things thanks to this book. I recommend it for all.
Sandra Christy
Nov 08, 2012 Sandra Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
back then when i was a teen, i was in a junior high maybe, i found my self being ridiculously dramatic over many things that were going on in my life. about my friends, school, parents and everything at that time, even my body shape. and the worse thing was no one told me how to deal with all of those matters, not even my parents. i was just caught up in the thought that everything felt wrong or was not supposed to be. one day i went to a bookstore and found this book. there i saw the title on i ...more
Sunny
Dec 30, 2015 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much! Since I was little, my dad has had a set of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff books on our shelves. Only so many years later, in my last year as an official teen, did I pick up this one to read. I'm so glad I did. It is about happiness and the value of kindness. Even though written by an adult for teens, not once is it condescending. I would definitely recommend this book to all young adults.
Grace
Jun 02, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully, I did not enjoy this book. I was excited to start it, but as soon as I got into it I was disappointed. I wanted to finish it so that I could get done with it. Not my favorite, but he did have some good points. Nothing I couldn't have thought of.
Bella
Aug 22, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

Unlike most self- help books, this book contains short chapters that are to the point and focus on the "how."

I got a lot of out it and recommend it to teens who like focusing on little things.
Marie Clark
Feb 05, 2015 Marie Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Richard Carlson has a nice way of concisely saying what I needed to hear. Really inspirational ideas that I have found myself actually refer to as everyday reminders to not blow things out of proportion.
Susan
Jan 30, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my daughter but read it first. I put little notes on things I thought were important. So many things in that book that are great reminders of how unimportant the small things really are.
Olivia
Dec 31, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. It's all about changing your perspective, and it most certainly has changed mine. Richard Carlson is clearly on teens' side, and his simple, optimistic, unassuming and unpretentious writing style makes this book appealing and genuinely helpful. Every teen should own this book!
Christine
Mar 26, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great gift for a teenager. I didn't take it too seriously when I was a teen, but I read it as a young adult, many concepts discussed in the book really resonated with me.
Christine
May 24, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I got from Mom with some good tips. Her words "We can all use that sometime. Mama - Weihnachten 2000"
Jane Brewer
Feb 02, 2014 Jane Brewer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started using this with an at risk teen, but unfortunately a little late. Maybe finish someday. Good ideas in simple language for a teen to understand.
Farhan Ansh
May 02, 2015 Farhan Ansh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku yang berhasil menyelamatkan saya saat terjatuh! Tapi, ketika saya kasih pinjam buku ini teman yang sekiranya butuh bantuan dari buku ini.....

"Terjemahannya kaku banget,"
April
Deffinatly the most inspiring book I've ever read. This book has dramatically changed my life and the way I think about things. It teaches you that life is too short to worry about the little things that really shouldn't make much of an impact on your daily life. It really makes you think about how you want to spend your life and what you shouldn't worry about. I think this is an amazing book, by far one of the better ones I've read, and I deffinatly think everybody should take the time to read ...more
Paige
Dec 24, 2014 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for teens. I didn't really “read" the last 40 or so entries, because I felt like I had most of the concepts down, considering I'm not a teen anymore. I'm thankful that my parents instilled most of the moral values in my sister and I from the beginning of our lives. It was just kind of redundant for me at this point in early 20s, but it was somewhat helpful for anxiety and stress management advice.
Monzee(:
Mar 19, 2009 Monzee(: rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that when your a teen you go trough many conflicts. The book "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff For Teens" is a guidence for the teenage lifes and experiences; Richard Carlson connects to most of the chapters. The chapter that interest me was dont sweat the break up. This chapter is intersting and i believe that most teens need advice of those kind of things such as:love and friendship.
Mayomouse
Jul 12, 2014 Mayomouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL
AMZING
AWESOMESAUCE
BOMBDIGGITY

Uhhh...hello... why are you still here reading this...? Shouldn't you be attempting to find this book in the quickest way possible?

COME ON HUSTLE YO!!!
Josellinne caballero
this is a really nice book that i would recommend to anyone girl or boy of any age..
this book has a great teaching that is not just to write books but it's a book based on real life situations things that can happen to u or anyone else..that's why they wrote to teach how to control yourself and to help others in these moments it teaches you
''how to not sweat the small stuff''
Leah
Jan 01, 2012 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a slow read. Being 21 and not a teenager may have had something to do with it, but I expected more from this book to help me with my overpowering anxiety. What I actually found was a lot of life lessons I had already figured out my first year out of high school. I would recommend this book more so to someone who is around the age of 14.
Kelly Sprecker
The idea of this book is a good one. And while I enjoy Carlson's writing style, the ones who actually need the tips in this book may not even understand it. All in all, a nice little reminder to pay attention to your actions in life.
Naaneater
Nov 23, 2011 Naaneater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book specially for Teenagers who are going though times trust me this book will be your best friend it will accompany you through your journey. I personally gained lot of wisdom from this book.
Safi
Apr 19, 2013 Safi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is inspiring. The ideas it offers are all unique but also link together, I can say they changed my life and they could change any-ones and make them less stressed and a lot happier (:
Ken
Aug 28, 2009 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all teens
This is a great book for teens. It has lots of good suggestions on how to not sweat the small stuff. I would suggest all teens read this because they tend to sweat the small stuff.
Some of this wasn't relevant to Fisher as he's only 12, so we skipped around. I didn't finish it; we just utilised it to the extent that we needed and then quit.
Sarah Haskins
Jun 09, 2014 Sarah Haskins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has so many good lessons in it and has made me look at everything in a happier, less stressful way. I will continue using the ideas to become a better person.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • How to Be Totally Miserable
  • The Teen's Guide to World Domination: Advice on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Awesomeness
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook
  • Organize Yourself!
  • Help Yourself for Teens: Real-Life Advice for Real-Life Challenges
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance
  • My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide To Managing Anxiety And Panic
  • with their eyes: September 11th: The View from a High School at Ground Zero
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know)
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Letters - Letters of Life, Love and Learning
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Time Management: How to Maximize Your 24-Hour Gift
  • You On Top: Smart, Sexy Skills Every Woman Needs to Set the World on Fire
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Selection for Mothers

“Reading is a gift. It's something you can do almost anytime and anywhere. It can be a tremendous way to learn, relax, and even escape. So, enough about the virtues of reading. Time to read on.” 28 likes