Start by marking “Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)

Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery #5)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,275 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The fifth novel in an acclaimed series featuring cleaning lady/sleuth Callahan Garrity." Atianta takes time out from its pre-Olympic frenzy to obsess about the murder case of Whitney Dobbs. A boozy socialite, Whitney earned the wrath of the city when she killed a little girl in a hit-and-run. When Whitney is shot while doing her community service, Callahan is suspicious ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Avon (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Trouble

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Green Mile by Stephen KingInto the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Best Books of 1996
104th out of 257 books — 127 voters
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullersGut Symmetries by Jeanette WintersonThe Heart of the Matter by Graham GreeneHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradZombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum
Body Organs
98th out of 131 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

L8blmr
Oct 03, 2014 L8blmr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am working my way through this series thanks to a friend who loves this writer and owns first editions of most of her books. The first book was quite humorous and set the tone, or so I believed at the time, for the rest of the Callahan Garrity stories. What I have found instead is the books are less funny and more dark the more into the series I get. I have also discovered that I really don't care for the lead character or her family and friends. Hmmmm - will I keep reading them, you ask? Yes, ...more
Grey853
Sep 22, 2010 Grey853 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Lynne
May 21, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it
Have read her earlier books, like "Little Bitty Lies" and "The Fixer Upper", and have read two of her newer works--murder mysteries featuring ex-cop/ex-PI, J Callahan-Garrity, who now runs House Mouse house cleaning service with her crotchety mother, Edna. The books all take place in the South, this one in the Atlanta area. She is asked to help solve the death of a prominent physician's wife who is mysteriously murdered. The ending is quite exciting and the southern touches throughout are fun ...more
Kate Copeseeley
Nov 13, 2016 Kate Copeseeley rated it it was amazing
Loved this one and the subject matter was so interesting, too. I can't wait to see where the characters go in the next book.
Pat
Sep 17, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story, and it has a very imaginative plot.
Marleen
Aug 09, 2016 Marleen rated it really liked it
Together with her (elderly) mother Edna, Callahan Garrity owns and manages an Atlanta cleaning service, plus she runs a private-detective business, often soliciting the help of her eccentric cleaning crew, who are only too eager to help snooping :-)
Here in Heart Trouble, doctor’s wife (and socialite) Whitney Dobbs becomes the target of hate after she is acquitted of killing a young black girl while driving drunk. Callahan reluctantly accepts the rich woman's plea for help in solving financial pr
Judy Collins
I love the Callahan Garrity Series and this was my last one to complete. Each one can be a standalone; however, once you read one, you will want to read them all! I do hope Mary Kay (Trocheck), will continue with this series as not only as they funny, witty, they are well written and great mysteries.

Mary does an outstanding job with her research and she knows Atlanta. Having spent most of my career there for years, I always love revising through her books as know all the landmarks.

This one was a
StarMan
Jun 30, 2016 StarMan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
If you are a fan of Kinsey Milhone (the 'Alphabet' books by Sue Grafton), you'll probably enjoy Trocheck's books starring ex-cop Callahan Garrity. I'd say they are a notch above the typical "cozy" type mystery/crime novels.

Callahan is not as much of a loner as Kinsey, but still manages to get herself in some interesting situations involving crime and dead bodies. The ladies that Callahan employs in her cleaning service are an eclectic and often funny crew (and often get involved in solving a cas
Charlyn
After wealthy socialite Whitney Dobbs kills a black child in a drunken hit-and-run and manages to walk away with little punishment, race relations in Atlanta become heated. But when Whitney hires Callahan to help her locate how her ex-husband is hiding his income, Callahan even takes some heat from her employees at House Mouse. Whitney is murdered while on a work detail that is part of her punishment and Callahan is enlisted to find her killer and continue her investigation of the ex-husband. ...more
Linda
Sep 10, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an earlier book written by Mary Kay Andrews under the name of Kathy Hogan Trocheck.

This is the 5th in a series of books about a former police officer now operating a housecleaning business as well as a part-time private investigator. She is asked to represent a woman who was found guilty of running over and killing a child but was let off due to a technicality and is now doing community service. Like the rest of Atlanta, Callahan Garrity despises the woman and what she has gotten away w
Debbie Maskus
Sep 02, 2009 Debbie Maskus rated it liked it
#5 in Callahan Garrity series set in Atlanta about a woman who quit the Atlanta police department and started a house cleaning business and a private investigation business. Business is blooming for Garrity and she must turn away offers. Into this mess, a doctor's wife hires her to find the dirt on her soon-to-be ex husband. The twists and turns are thrilling. Also, Garrity's mother, Edna, is having heart problems. I enjoy Trocheck's quick style, and quirky characters. Trocheck tries to show the ...more
Elizabeth
May 29, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I listened to the audio version of this book. This is the 5th Callahan Garrity novel and Callahan finds herself pulled into doing some PI work for a less than innocent client. When her client turns up dead, Callahan realizes there is more going on here. So, she finds the killer, in addition to running a house cleaning business, taking care of her mother and a band of misfits, and reconnecting with her old boyfriend. It was fast paced and funny, but it showed its age a bit.
Aug 24, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to Ms. Garrity and it was a little jarring to be thrown in to her life in book #5, but it's not so complicated that I couldn't shoulder on. True to my previous inclinations, Ms. Garrity is a strong female protagonist - she runs two businesses, packs heat, and yet gets kicked out of her own bed by her older sister. I foresee hear being a series I turn to for interesting but light reading.
Michelle Stubbs
Jul 03, 2014 Michelle Stubbs rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this book... too much a "real" slice of life.... with Mary Kay Andrews, I need to make a connection right away with the characters... especially share the love of antiquing and decorating and haunting flea markets... so when her characters live in quaint little beach towns and share my love of gardening, animals and antiques.... I read til dawn.... or at least until the book is finished:)
Michelle
Oct 18, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Very interesting. Didn't realize it was a series when I picked it up. Not sure if I would want to read the ones beforehand since I did get a picture of what happened, but would be interest in reading later ones.

In the beginning of the book, one of the older employees places super maxi pads at the dinner table when she runs out of napkins. I have to stay, I can't look at a maxi pad without thinking of that scene and giggling.
Michele
Jun 12, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
I love this series, I loved this book. Callahan makes me laugh. the only thing I didn't like was the random insertion of the ex boyfriend she broke up with in the last book...sort of tossed in at the end of this one. guess I'm going to have to avoid laundry for one more day, as I have the next book sitting right here.....and I wanna know what happens!
Mk
Apr 13, 2014 Mk rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was the 5th book in a series when I picked it up, but it definitely is a stand alone book if you're like me and haven't read the previous books.

Some parts of the book dragged on a bit for me but in general I liked it. Callahan, the main character, was likeable. I definitely didn't expect the ending!
Janet Martin
Jun 12, 2014 Janet Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solidly good addition to a solidly good mystery series. A fine ensemble of characters that is holding up well and developing from book to book, good sense of place, and inventive character given plotting. The audio versions are well performed by Hillary Huber, and listening is probably even better than reading.
Joni Mayhugh
Aug 08, 2016 Joni Mayhugh rated it really liked it
Pr Latta
Note that this was originally released in the 90's so some of the topics feel dated or awkward (the take on race relations, breast cancer therapy, heart disease treatment). A light fluffy cozy mystery. As a series, if you read out of order you might not appreciate some of the details but this title could be a stand alone or initial read.
Becky
Jul 19, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
This book was written by Mary Kay Andrews under the alias of Kathy Hogan Trocheck. It is an older book and not like the other books I have read that she has written. It is more of a murder mystery/who done it book but an interesting read. I am going to try to find the other books she wrote under this alias. Just good, easy reading.
Karen Craig
Apr 27, 2016 Karen Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure.

Mary Kay Andrews is one of my favorites. When I saw a deal on this kindle book, I couldn't wait to start it.. Have read all her books, waiting on the next.
Maggie
May 19, 2016 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that CW is not wheelchair bound for life; that really irritated me in the last book. Other than that it was another good case. This time I didn't figure out whodunit until after the halfway mark.
Marianne
Sep 02, 2016 Marianne rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I started it several years ago and for some reason, never finished. I am so glad I have rediscovered Callahan and her crew!!!

If you enjoy the Stephanie Plum and Kinsey Milhone books, you'll love this series!
Diane Davis
May 27, 2014 Diane Davis rated it really liked it
This is a Callahan Garrity Book originally written by Kathy Hogan Trocheck. I read it many years ago and just read it again and didn't remember it at all. It was a nice light mystery which are my favorites.. Loved it...
Mary Ann
All Callahan Garrity books are fun reads. Lives with her Mom with whom she runs a maid service. The employees include 80+ year-old sisters who are mostly blind and deaf, off-the wall characters. Plain fun reading.
Kerry
This was an interesting book with a strong, but slightly unrealistic main female character. I did enjoy the relationships as they were building in the story and the plot was entertaining and held some suspense. I'm glad I read it.
Charlene
Sep 21, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it
Not what was expected looking at the re-issued book cover, but since books shouldn't be judged that way, this type of read would be fitting for times one may be in the mood for a quick read or an afternoon of sleuthing.
Nicole
Apr 02, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-listened
Very exciting addition to the Callahan Garrity series! This story pulls on several emotional threads in addition to keeping the reader on the edge of their seats with what would happen next. It also shows how little race issues have improved in the last 20 years, which I found incredibly sad.
Lyn Murphy
This is not a new book. It's just being re-released under Andrews name. It was originally published under her pseudonym Kathy Hogan Trochek. It was a good series and I hated when it ended. But I hate it when authors rerelease books with new covers to make us think that it's a new one.
  • Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Dead Ex
  • Polished Off (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #3)
  • May the Best Man Die (Carnegie Kincaid, #3)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • Just Different Devils (Hetta Coffey Series #7)
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • The Case of the Frozen Hearts (Wilma Tenderfoot, #1)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
aka Mary Kay Andrews

Kathy Hogan Trocheck is the author of critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series. A former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, she is also the author of Little Bitty Lies and the Edgar- and Macavity-nominated Savannah Blues, under the name Mary Kay Andrews.
More about Kathy Hogan Trocheck...

Callahan Garrity Mystery (8 books)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)