Start by marking “The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil” as Want to Read:
The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil

The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil

The Second Comforter describes the process, as set out in the Gospel of Jesus Christ taught through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is an Odyssey through the greatest principles, ordinances and meanings of the Latter-day Saint faith in a comprehensive narrative. It will change the way you think of yourself, and of your life.
Published June 14th 2006 by Mill Creek Press, LLC (first published February 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Comforter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Comforter

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Holy Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
39th out of 91 books — 46 voters
Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Holy Bible by AnonymousThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageTeachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Smith Jr.
LDS - Mormon Studies and Theology
24th out of 135 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Ernie Dawson
Aug 02, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book with huge potential but it can be rated from 1 to 5 depending upon the spiritual preparedness of the person reading it. I found nothing in it that was offensive nor contrary to the Spirit of the Lord. Nothing was presented which was outside the parameters of the scriptures and the words of the prophets (both living and deceased). I would only recommend it to those who are prepared to take a major step in their lives.
Annette
Jun 09, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
This book has meant a lot to me. It got me seriously thinking about my relationship with the Lord and how seriously I take that relationship. I enjoyed the way the author delved into the scriptures, teaching and expounding them in a way that made me want to search the scriptures more, to ask the Lord to teach me and to strive to connect with heaven on a much more personal level.
Cory Jensen
Dec 20, 2013 Cory Jensen rated it it was amazing
The best church book I have read in many year !!
Russell
Oct 02, 2012 Russell rated it it was amazing
I can remember learning about "The Second Comforter" and having "Your Calling and Election Sure" and wondered how that happened and whether it was very common. I have heard about people that have had that experience and even talked to one person. When I asked how that was achieved he basically told me to just pray for it. That wasn't a very satisfying answer. It wasn't until I read this book by Denver Snuffer that I come to appreciate more fully what is involved and the change in your life that ...more
Eric Merrill
Jul 29, 2014 Eric Merrill rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion, unfinished
Full disclosure: I didn't finish. 20% in I felt it wasn't worth my time to finish. Read on to see why.

First, Snuffer spends almost an entire chapter explaining who the book is for and who would not be benefited by reading the book. I fell into the category of not being benefited. Nevertheless I am intrigued by the topic and Snuffer's Testimony of seeing Christ and the claim that all can do so, so I continued on.

Here's the thing. Snuffer seems to see things in a very black and white manner. I don
Cliff
Jan 22, 2010 Cliff rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I kept saying to myself "*I* could've said that!" "He's right!" and so forth. Only twice did I find him saying something that I just didn't know about whether I could agree or not. On those, I still don't know and will have to ponder them at length.

I believe the man, and I agree with what he's saying.

Not an easy book, but he's the "Real Deal". What he's teaching is valuable for each Latter-day Saint.

Cliff
Jun 02, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I agree with a bunch of the reviews about this books is good depending on how ready you are to follow ALL of the Commandments God has given us. ;) This can be a pretty cut and dry book, but it also has so much information and exciting treasures of insight that I have never thought about before. It is an inspiring book, based on scriptures and is uplifting to the soul.
It causes you to want to be a better person and love everyone. Now, who wouldn't want that?
Taunia
Jun 22, 2008 Taunia is currently reading it
Wow...I'm only into the 2nd chapter and I have this book marked up to the hilt!! If you have questions about your spiritual connection with God, and/or desire to have a greater understanding of what it means to have such a witness of His connection with you...well, this book is top notch.
It's not something you skim through. It's a book for deep pondering. I'm totally loving it so far.
Cherie
Jun 22, 2008 Cherie rated it it was amazing
This is quite honestly the BEST LDS book I have ever gotten my hands on. It took me weeks to read it, because I was taking my time to absorb. The message is pure, deep and powerful. A must read for all those whose spiritual gifts are not being magnified, or who need validation to call them forth!
Kyle
Mar 09, 2009 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Deeply introspective and thought provoking. Not a fast read but triggered for me many hours of contemplation and self-evaluation. Even months after reading, I still find myself pondering many of the concepts I learned here.

I have purchased several copies of this book as gifts, but it is one of those books that can only be read and digested if you are seeking and hungry for spiritual growth.
Lisa
Sep 11, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
This book was highly recommended to me by a friend, but I wouldn't really recommend it to others. I'd recommend instead spending the time reading and pondering the scriptures - you'll learn the same things, plus more.
Drennan
Dec 26, 2010 Drennan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One of my all time favorite books!!!!!!!!
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 Tim Malone rated it really liked it
Source: http://latterdaycommentary.com/2013/0...

On my blog, I review a lot of LDS books. For some reason, most of them are not found in Deseret Book. I don’t know why that is. Perhaps it is because some of them are considered controversial. I’m fairly certain Denver Snuffer does not care if his books are in Deseret Book. He has written that he wants people to have to search them out, make an effort to find them.

I thought I had reviewed his first book, The Second Comforter: Conversing With the Lo
April
Jan 05, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Thank you.
Tammy
Dec 19, 2010 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Changed my life. Beautiful work.
Glenn Hickman
Jul 27, 2013 Glenn Hickman rated it it was amazing
This book has taken its place on my shelf of 'The Classics." I am beginning to discover that some of the best books ever written are from what most would consider 'obscure authors.' Those who are ever learning yet never able to come to the truth because of their willingness to only study the obscure leaves of the Gospel, will not appreciate this book but yet will benefit from it most. He takes the simple Gospel and presents it in a way that makes you want to be and do better. Most significant to ...more
Ryan Daley
Mar 01, 2014 Ryan Daley rated it it was ok
Sometime interesting - but this book is far from a comprehensive dialogue on the subject and more of the dialogue of a hobbyist - who despite having a few beautiful moments in relation to the gospel entirely contradict himself repeatedly in the subject matter... And seems to have gained popularity based upon the deep desire for members of the church to come closer to this subject rather than actually contribute to the subject... He talks but without consistent understanding and uses the term ...more
Christy
Oct 23, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My rating is closer to 3.5 stars because I really did enjoy the book, very much, but there were a few pretty significant differences of opinion that I have with the author which makes it hard for me to embrace the concepts of his book fully. The first 2/3rd of the book really blew my mind and opened me up to lots of new ideas and ways to read and study the Book of Mormon.

Even though I have some issues with the author's ideas, I really did find the book engaging and insightful. I'm sure I will u
April Fear
Dec 17, 2012 April Fear rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much from the author's knowledge and insights of the scriptures, the temple and life's experiences. Only by becoming a Zion individual, can we ever hope to be a Zion people and dwell with the Savior. Improving ourselves now is the key to obtaining the Second Comforter. This is a book to slowly read and ponder.

The author is a little repetitive on his warnings, but I do understand why. If someone isn't ready for this information, it would be better for them to stop reading, than
古力 朱
Nov 20, 2015 古力 朱 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful testimony

What I like:
• the central theme is that personally SEEing Jesus Christ is possible, and should be sought after
• information is presented in a way very palatable to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

What I don't like
• too much appeal to LDS leadership authority

Who should read this?
• anyone interested in personally knowing God
• reader ought to be familiar with the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and other LDS scriptures

Why 5 stars?
• uniqueness, authent
Angela
Aug 13, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
I generally don't like the idea of rating religious books, but I did think this book that Dan recommended to me was really good. I enjoyed how he related the contents of The Book of Mormon in an original way and brought out insights I had never thought of before. I liked reading about his conversion to the LDS faith and how his spirituality evolved. I enjoyed what he said about what Joseph Smith taught and the significance of temples. It is an interesting read.
Judith
Nov 27, 2013 Judith rated it it was amazing
I found his personal style challenging at times, as he discourages readers who are not serious about wanting to commune personally with the Lord. Snuffer has suffered quite a bit of abuse from those who think that this aspiration is unrighteous, but the scriptures as I read them invite us to draw near, purify ourselves and enjoy the Lord's presence. I find this goal sharpens my desire to choose the right and not settle for "good enough". It also inspires more devoute scripture study & ...more
Mandellagreen Green
Oct 26, 2010 Mandellagreen Green rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I have been looking for. When you reach a certain level, you feel the need to know more and God will send it your way. I'm still reading it, but this man is brilliant and very adept and cutting through all of the culture and REALLY understanding scripture and doctrine. I am LOVING IT. But, I don't recommend it to anyone who isn't really wanting it.
Terrie
Jul 31, 2013 Terrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
A very inspiring and uplifting discourse which explains the importance of absolute obedience to the commandments and the rewards and blessings that will come from doing so. I highly recommend this book to someone who is seriously studying the Gospel with the desire to have a more personal relationship with the Savior.
Merrill and Katie
5 Stars are not enough!!!

I gave 5 Stars because the book shared with me the light for which I had been searching. It is among the best books I have read, outside the scriptures during my 18 years as a member. I felt like a puppy trying to drink up the ocean. I hated for it to end, however it has given me a new beginning.
Thanks for taking the time to share.
Cynthia Gull
May 28, 2014 Cynthia Gull rated it it was amazing
This book was a life changer for me. I have recommended it to everyone that I am close to.
I have found that those who are ready for this book can never look at life the same way again!
It is not an easy read. I would suggest reading as I did. With my Scriptures out and cross referencing and fact checking everything I possibly could.
And praying , Lots and lots of praying
Tyler
Sep 05, 2016 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I thought a lot, but that's my business. Everything in this book expounds on the processes that are plain as day in the scriptures for anyone who seeks them. It does expound them fantastically, and they are of great worth. After reading and pondering the book and the scriptures it was not difficult to come up with a game plan and identify the next steps to be taken on this spiritual quest.
Jedd Taylor
Aug 26, 2016 Jedd Taylor rated it did not like it
Several people had recommended this to me, so I finally read it. It was a lot of rambling thoughts from the author through most of the book, then he reveals at the end that he had a very unique and special experience. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but just didn't do too much for me. I guess I didn't get it.
Celestial
Nov 18, 2008 Celestial rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Celestial by: My Dad
Wonderful book. Will bring you closer to the Spirit and to the Savior. This is a very deep book. I only recommend it to those who have faith enough to believe that you too can be ministered to by the Second Comforter.
Linda
Feb 28, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is not a quick read, you need to take time to digest and ponder it. I read half because I needed to return the copy I'd borrowed. It's one I plan to buy (or put on my birthday/Christmas wish list!)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Following the Light of Christ into His Presence
  • The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition
  • The Gate of Heaven: Insights on the Doctrines and Symbols of the Temple
  • Old Testament and Related Studies (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 1)
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Light in the Wilderness: Explorations in the Spiritual Life
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness
  • Be Thou An Example
  • The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

“In living our lives let us never forget that the deeds of our fathers and mothers are theirs, not ours; that their works cannot be counted to our glory; that we can claim no excellence and no place, because of what they did, that we must rise by our own labor, and that labor failing we shall fail. We may claim no honor, no reward, no respect, nor special position or recognition, no credit because of what our fathers were or what they wrought. We stand upon our own feet in our own shoes. There is no aristocracy of birth in this Church; it belongs equally to the highest and the lowliest; for as Peter said to Cornelius, the Roman centurion, seeking him: “… Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (Acts 10: 34, 35.)” (They of the Last Wagon, President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Conference Report, October 1947, Afternoon Meeting, p.160.)” 1 likes
“How vain and trifling have been our spirits, our conferences, our councils, our meetings, our private as well as public conversations—too low, too mean, too vulgar, too condescending for the dignified characters of the called and chosen of God, according to the purposes of His will, from before the foundation of the world!” 0 likes