Start by marking “Richmond Noir” as Want to Read:
Richmond Noir

Richmond Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The River City emerges as a hot spot for unseemly noir.

Brand-new stories by: Dean King, Laura Browder, Howard Owen, Yazmina Beverly, Tom De Haven, X.C. Atkins, Meagan J. Saunders, Anne Thomas Soffee, Clint McCown, Conrad Ashley Persons, Clay McLeod Chapman, Pir Rothenberg, David L. Robbins, Hermine Pinson, and Dennis Danvers.

FROM THE INTRODUCTION TO RICHMOND NOIR:

"In The A
Published March 1st 2010 by Akashic Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Richmond Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richmond Noir

The Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithAmsterdam by Ian McEwanDeath in Venice by Thomas MannDubliners by James Joyce
Cities
166th out of 245 books — 36 voters
Brooklyn Noir by Tim McLoughlinLong Island Noir by Kaylie JonesD.C. Noir by George PelecanosKansas City Noir by Steve PaulBoston Noir by Dennis Lehane
Akashic Noir Collections
49th out of 57 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

D.R. Haney
Wanting to re-familiarize myself with Richmond, in my home state of Virginia, for a novel that I’ll likely never write, I picked up this book, which is part of the Akashic noir series (Los Angeles Noir, Brooklyn Noir, Las Vegas Noir, etc.) and as uneven as expected. A few of the included stories are poor; none are masterpieces, but I especially enjoyed Clint McCown’s "The Apprentice," which is set in Richmond’s famed Hollywood Cemetery, where Jefferson Davis, among other Confederate luminaries, ...more
Emily
I picked this up solely because I live in Richmond. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would- it was good Southern Gothic. I've been almost all of the places named in this collection of short stories and it was nice to have those jolts of recognition. I recommend for anyone who lives or has lived in the area.I think "The Battle of Belle Isle" and "The Thirteenth Floor" may have been the ones that I liked the most.
Benjamin
Maybe I'm biased, because I've stood on all the physical locations named in the book. Maybe I'm biased because I know two of the contributors. All of the stories left me wanting more, which is not to say they were incomplete, but effectively created a world that brought me in and wrung me out like a wet washcloth.
Katharine Herndon
Aug 19, 2010 Katharine Herndon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves both very dark humor and Richmond
I bought this book because I grew up in Richmond and because I've met, heard of, or listened to many of the authors. I knew all the ones I'd heard of were excellent, and I am now happy to have been introduce to the others. It's contemporary Southern gothic at its best: creepy, dark, violent, sexual, and disturbing. Each area of Richmond is represented. I loved that it started with a Poe-related tale in the Fan district, and the last story, "The Apprentice," had me laughing out loud. (Though I wa ...more
J.A.
I don't typically delve into noir, but where Kelly Justice and Dennis Danvers lead in Richmond, I will follow! Even if that means skulking down the alleys "colored with seamy urban romance and suave big-city vice, the twin elements most responsible for the seductive throb at the murky heart of noir," as described in the foreword by Tom Robbins (an author I've been meaning to read). Edited by Andrew Blossom, Brian Castleberry, and Tom De Haven (who also contributed the story "Playing with DaBlond ...more
Bill Glose
A sick, disoriented, homeless woman is kicked out of a hospital and dumped on the side of the road like trash. A stripper considers prostituting herself so her friend can film it and blackmail the John. A battered body washes up on the shores of the James River and the police go through the motions but show no real interest. This is how three of the fifteen stories in Richmond Noir begin—like a hard blow to the reader’s solar plexus.

Violence and injustice reverberate throughout Richmond Noir, bu
Janet Flora Corso
Good collection of stories from the many nooks and neighborhoods of RVA. The city already reeks noir, so the settings are more important to many of these stories than the characters. A few stories stand out, but pretty sure everyone who loves that big small-southern-town will find one or more appealing. Highly recommended to any resident, past or present. You will read of a person, place or thing that brings back memories. I have to admit to laughing out loud at the last one set in one of my old ...more
Tess
I didn't think I would like noir as a genre, but wanted to give this a read just because its focus is on Richmond. I felt like most of the stories were melodramatic tales about seeing the negative in everything. I will say that I thought most of the stories were at least well-written, but I tend to judge books not by vocabulary but by how they make you feel. This book made me feel annoyed and misunderstood (on behalf of Richmond). But I'm sure that lovers of noir will enjoy it.
Noah
It's hard to give an unbiased review of a book about my beloved hometown! The stories are quick, fun reads and filled with glimpses of life in this town that rings true to a native like me. Needless to say if you know and love Richmond you'll enjoy this literary tour through its underbelly.
Jessica Steed
I'll admit that I did not finish this book. I read through page 112 and did not like any of it. I typically like noir but just didn't enjoy the writing or the story lines here.
Peggy Walz
Like catching up with an old friend and reminiscing. Hard to pick a favorite from this collection, and introduced me to some writers that I plan to dig deeper into.
Cati Howard
A haunting collection of short stories, this anthology left me with chills long after I turned the last page.
Michael
This was a great book. Full of mysteries and murders and crime in my own city, Richmond, Virginia.
Diana
Aug 11, 2010 Diana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone!
These dark stories are each set in Richmond's different neighborhoods. A great collection of stories!
Rachel
Great collection of stories centering around Richmond, from some very talented local authors.
Travis Stansbury
A real surprise and treat.
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Elizabeth Klaczynski
Elizabeth Klaczynski marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Francescaj
Francescaj marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Leah Coffin
Leah Coffin is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Rachel V. Joiner
Rachel V. Joiner marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jw
Jw marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Terry Landrum
Terry Landrum marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
  • Detroit Noir
  • Manhattan Noir
  • Dublin Noir: The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American
  • Twin Cities Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Haiti Noir