Start by marking “Richmond Noir” as Want to Read:
Richmond Noir

Richmond Noir (Akashic Noir)

The River City emerges as a hot spot for unseemly noir.

Brand-new stories by: Dean King, Laura Browder, Howard Owen, Yazmina Beverly, Tom De Haven, X.C. Atkins, Meagan J. Saunders, Anne Thomas Soffee, Clint McCown, Conrad Ashley Persons, Clay McLeod Chapman, Pir Rothenberg, David L. Robbins, Hermine Pinson, and Dennis Danvers.

FROM THE INTRODUCTION TO RICHMOND NOIR:

"In The A
Published March 1st 2010 by Akashic Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Richmond Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richmond Noir

Bill Glose
Aug 14, 2013 Bill Glose rated it it was amazing
A sick, disoriented, homeless woman is kicked out of a hospital and dumped on the side of the road like trash. A stripper considers prostituting herself so her friend can film it and blackmail the John. A battered body washes up on the shores of the James River and the police go through the motions but show no real interest. This is how three of the fifteen stories in Richmond Noir begin—like a hard blow to the reader’s solar plexus.

Violence and injustice reverberate throughout Richmond Noir, bu
D.R. Haney
Wanting to re-familiarize myself with Richmond, in my home state of Virginia, for a novel that I’ll likely never write, I picked up this book, which is part of the Akashic noir series (Los Angeles Noir, Brooklyn Noir, Las Vegas Noir, etc.) and as uneven as expected. A few of the included stories are poor; none are masterpieces, but I especially enjoyed Clint McCown’s "The Apprentice," which is set in Richmond’s famed Hollywood Cemetery, where Jefferson Davis, among other Confederate luminaries, ...more
Emily
Nov 04, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I picked this up solely because I live in Richmond. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would- it was good Southern Gothic. I've been almost all of the places named in this collection of short stories and it was nice to have those jolts of recognition. I recommend for anyone who lives or has lived in the area.I think "The Battle of Belle Isle" and "The Thirteenth Floor" may have been the ones that I liked the most.
Benjamin
Oct 05, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm biased, because I've stood on all the physical locations named in the book. Maybe I'm biased because I know two of the contributors. All of the stories left me wanting more, which is not to say they were incomplete, but effectively created a world that brought me in and wrung me out like a wet washcloth.
Rishonda
Dec 14, 2016 Rishonda rated it really liked it
This is an great collection of stories, and perhaps I'm easy to impress, but I really couldn't get over the novelty of having the same streets I walk on, the same buildings I pass by and visit several times a week, being mentioned in literature. I guess this little bit of fame gives us a taste of what it must be like to live in New York City. So, yes, I definitely want to proclaim my support for the entire Akashic Noir Series.

Some of my favorites:

"The Battle of Belle Isle," by Clay McLeod Chap
Katharine Herndon
Aug 19, 2010 Katharine Herndon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves both very dark humor and Richmond
I bought this book because I grew up in Richmond and because I've met, heard of, or listened to many of the authors. I knew all the ones I'd heard of were excellent, and I am now happy to have been introduce to the others. It's contemporary Southern gothic at its best: creepy, dark, violent, sexual, and disturbing. Each area of Richmond is represented. I loved that it started with a Poe-related tale in the Fan district, and the last story, "The Apprentice," had me laughing out loud. (Though I wa ...more
J.A.
I don't typically delve into noir, but where Kelly Justice and Dennis Danvers lead in Richmond, I will follow! Even if that means skulking down the alleys "colored with seamy urban romance and suave big-city vice, the twin elements most responsible for the seductive throb at the murky heart of noir," as described in the foreword by Tom Robbins (an author I've been meaning to read). Edited by Andrew Blossom, Brian Castleberry, and Tom De Haven (who also contributed the story "Playing with DaBlond ...more
Janet Flora Corso
May 10, 2013 Janet Flora Corso rated it really liked it
Good collection of stories from the many nooks and neighborhoods of RVA. The city already reeks noir, so the settings are more important to many of these stories than the characters. A few stories stand out, but pretty sure everyone who loves that big small-southern-town will find one or more appealing. Highly recommended to any resident, past or present. You will read of a person, place or thing that brings back memories. I have to admit to laughing out loud at the last one set in one of my old ...more
Amy
I love mysteries. I love noir. I'm just not a short story fan. Despite that, I gave this a good try, ultimately skipping through to read the ones GoryDetails highlighted. The Red Rose Vial and Midnight at the Oasis were ultimately my favorites (and yes, I am a Poe fan and belly-dance). Still, I think this series is an interesting project, and I suspect each volume holds great delight for people more familiar with the cities involved than I am with Richmond (which I know mainly through reading or ...more
Tess
Jun 01, 2010 Tess rated it did not like it
Shelves: dark, virginia
I didn't think I would like noir as a genre, but wanted to give this a read just because its focus is on Richmond. I felt like most of the stories were melodramatic tales about seeing the negative in everything. I will say that I thought most of the stories were at least well-written, but I tend to judge books not by vocabulary but by how they make you feel. This book made me feel annoyed and misunderstood (on behalf of Richmond). But I'm sure that lovers of noir will enjoy it.
Noah
May 21, 2010 Noah rated it really liked it
It's hard to give an unbiased review of a book about my beloved hometown! The stories are quick, fun reads and filled with glimpses of life in this town that rings true to a native like me. Needless to say if you know and love Richmond you'll enjoy this literary tour through its underbelly.
Peggy Walz
Mar 31, 2013 Peggy Walz rated it really liked it
Like catching up with an old friend and reminiscing. Hard to pick a favorite from this collection, and introduced me to some writers that I plan to dig deeper into.
Diana
Aug 11, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
These dark stories are each set in Richmond's different neighborhoods. A great collection of stories!
Michael
Apr 16, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: richmond
This was a great book. Full of mysteries and murders and crime in my own city, Richmond, Virginia.
Jessica Steed
Mar 16, 2011 Jessica Steed rated it it was ok
I'll admit that I did not finish this book. I read through page 112 and did not like any of it. I typically like noir but just didn't enjoy the writing or the story lines here.
Cati Howard
Aug 06, 2011 Cati Howard rated it really liked it
A haunting collection of short stories, this anthology left me with chills long after I turned the last page.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2011
Tomarlowe
Tomarlowe rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2012
Laura Moyer
Laura Moyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Allison Titus
Allison Titus rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
A.K.
A.K. rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2011
Kathe
Kathe rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Berkley
Berkley rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Irene Ziegler
Irene Ziegler rated it it was ok
May 23, 2010
Mike Zitz
Mike Zitz rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Meghan Gillingham
Meghan Gillingham rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
  • D.C. Noir 2: The Classics
  • New Jersey Noir
  • Paris Noir
  • Wall Street Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Trinidad Noir
  • Bronx Noir
  • Mexico City Noir
  • Miami Noir
  • Istanbul Noir

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)