Start by marking “The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers” as Want to Read:
The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers

The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  473 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In The Mist-Filled Path, Frank MacEowen, a preeminent teacher of Celtic spirituality, shows how embracing the indigenous wisdom of Scotland and Ireland can lead to healing and transcendence. Using his own travels and teachings along with Celtic stories and myths, he explores ancient traditions, eco-psychology, the ancient mother, altars and hearths, Oran Mor (the Great Son ...more
Published April 9th 2002 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Mist-Filled Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mist-Filled Path

Penelope Douglas
Jul 28, 2016 Penelope Douglas rated it really liked it
I have a Keurig sitting in my office that I don't use. My husband gets mad about the money spent on another useless purchase, and I won't even use a typical coffee maker like my father uses.

I prefer my French Press.

So a Keurig would be faster. So a coffee maker would give me 12 cups of coffee and keep it warm for hours. A French Press doesn't do any of those things. But I've started to find the beauty in slowing the hell down and enjoying "the process" of things again. Of a few things being sac
Maya
Dec 05, 2015 Maya rated it liked it
Updated on December 4, 2015: I can no longer really stand by a lot of this review. I've read a lot and have revised my view on "Celtic Shamanism", namely there is no such thing. I do stand by some parts of this review, mainly that the book is rich, poetic and very personal. The exercises might work for people just like they worked for me at a time in my life when I perhaps needed them to work.

This is a book that takes you on a journey through the mysteries of you. It is a great introduction to C
Holly
Oct 28, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing
My faith, my heart, my soul resides in the places between, in the mist. For me things are always made more poignant when the veil of mist is present. The mist signifies the very breath of magick in my life. Profound in its elegant simplicity.
Spider Goddess
Jun 19, 2012 Spider Goddess rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. Mainly an autobiography, this is the author's story of how he came out of his own "dark night of the soul" to re-connect with his ancestral, spiritual heritage. In addition, there are a number of very useful exercises contained in each chapter.
Sky
Apr 27, 2013 Sky rated it liked it
This was one of those books that you happen to stumble upon in a little cafe' and it turns out to be just what you needed.

I read this book just before traveling to Ireland and Scotland, and though I have always felt very connected with the spirit of those places, this book had so many wonderful tools to draw me even deeper into the mist.

At once poetic and instructive, this book can draw you into a simply magical world.
Stress on the word 'Simply' here... because never before has this culture s
Emily
Sep 08, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
This was an interesting book that did not fulfill exactly what I was hoping for though. I had hoped to delve more into Celtic-Christianity specifically. The last quarter was wondeful and beautiful in its application of "mist filled path" practices of the author to Celtic-Christianity practices. I especially appreciated and loved the practices of the "Hearth Way", the "Way of the Heart" and the "Way of the Earth". The majority of the book explored the author's particular practices and personal ex ...more
Kathryn Varuzza
Aug 23, 2009 Kathryn Varuzza rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It taught me about my Celtic roots, and it made me understand myself better. I would highly recommend it. This book is about connecting with the wisdom from the ancestors, from nature, from the mist, and our Celtic heritage, our wisdom. It includes exercises and meditations to do.

I would highly recommend people buy this book.
Bridgett
Jul 27, 2010 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and related to a lot of the spiritual beliefs, though I've never considered myself a "Celtic Christian" or anything. I liked hearing some of the mythology and cultural traits discussed, in addition to the overall spiritual exposition.
Naomi
Jun 05, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Filled with spiritual practices and personal narrative, _The Mist-Filled Path_ is a spiritual guidebook for those feeling alienated from Celtic spiritual traditions, and seeking to understand those spiritual traditions as ones deeply connected to the land.
Crow
Aug 29, 2009 Crow rated it really liked it
Recommended to Crow by: stumbled upon it
Shelves: wicca-paganism
i picked this up the other day after debating about purchasing a big ticket item that i didnt really need.... then i read the forward of this book and it spoke to me so directly. I'm really looking forward to starting this today~
Brendan
Nov 05, 2015 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
This is one of those books that has so many layers that every time I go back for another read it almost feels like I'm reading it for the first time.
Sue Covert
Jun 18, 2014 Sue Covert rated it it was amazing
Being of Celtic heritage (though not really knowing a lot about that) this book spoke to me. I went back and read it a second time
Deborah Carroll
Aug 08, 2015 Deborah Carroll rated it really liked it
A+ for concepts and perhaps a C for some social and historical inaccuracies...don't miss the point of the overall concepts, though, if you're nit-picking the "more factual" info :-)
Kristi Newcomb
Jan 12, 2013 Kristi Newcomb rated it did not like it
Okay so far skip the intro and all the crap before Chapter 1. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile and I want to give it a fair chance, but all that stuff at the begining I've heard a million times before, do yourself a favor and just skip it.
I want to like this book so bad, I keep trying, but it can't grab hold of me.
Aletheia
Apr 29, 2014 Aletheia rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, nature
A practical and down-to-earth look at Celtic Spirituality. Some really useful and engaging information in this book.
Alexandra
Oct 04, 2009 Alexandra rated it liked it
Those interested in the Celtic wisdom and oneness with Nature, as well as engaging the living spirit of the Celtic stream, while using the reflections provided by this ancient perspective in the Here and Now, may enjoy reading this book as much as I did.
Hannah
Oct 05, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I've read this book twice now, and I found more lessons in the book. I think it speaks to a person differently based on what they are experiencing at the time.
Kit
Dec 20, 2010 Kit rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in Celtic Spirituality, Druidry, health, or just plain old learning about ancient ways of living.

A must-read.
Valarie
Feb 02, 2013 Valarie rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kim Stroup
Nov 14, 2008 Kim Stroup rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very deep spiritually. The author has been through a lot during his spiritual journey, and brings it to life in his writing.
Paige Ellen Stone
Apr 05, 2012 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
See my review on my Shelfari Shelf. It's a great book, an introductory level volume on Celtic/Shamanic based spiritual practice.
Cynthia
Dec 14, 2013 Cynthia rated it did not like it
Ok in parts. Some of the questions were thought-provoking but basically not very engaging.
Shirl
Oct 13, 2014 Shirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: druidry
loving this book so far, looking forward to get into it and thoughly living it.
Susan
Oct 05, 2015 Susan added it
I just couldn't get through it for some reason.
Tabitha Beck
amazing..amazing..amazing...on so many levels...
Christopher Pelletier
Sep 10, 2012 Christopher Pelletier rated it really liked it
Insightful...
Sitara Kashif
Sitara Kashif marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Iona Jenkins
Iona Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year
  • Eternal Echoes: Celtic Reflections on Our Yearning to Belong
  • Over Nine Waves: A Book of Irish Legends
Frank MacEowen is a Scottish-Irish American poet, teacher, and shamanist in the visionary traditions of his Celtic ancestors. A native to Mississippi, he facilitates retreats in Celtic spirituality, contemplative practice, and ecopsychology, and guides individuals in private shamanic sessions and dreamwork.
More about Frank MacEowen...