Start by marking “Leaves of Grass” as Want to Read:
Leaves of Grass

Leaves of Grass

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  62,332 Ratings  ·  1,571 Reviews
From one of America's best loved and most important poets comes a masterpiece. Leaves of Grass is considered by many to be the greatest collection of poetry ever produced by an American. "The most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom that America has yet contributed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson When I read the book, the biography famous, And is this then (said I) what the auth ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Wilder Publications (first published 1855)

Selby
Sep 11, 2007 Selby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Whitman used to right fake reviews under false names for Leaves of Grass and send them to publishers, newspapers, and periodicals. I love that about him. So over the top. He had love for everything. Especially himself. As for the quality of the work the words speak for themselves:
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not co
Lizzy
In Leaves of Grass Walt Whitman sings nature and his symbiosis with America, he sings the universe and his awareness of it all, but above all he sings the people and their quest for individuality and immortality. ‘The proof of a poet is that his country absorbs him as affectionately as he has absorbed it.’ And here he includes himself with all his mysticism and spiritual illuminations. In that, it is a celebration of humanity, his country and everything in it. Some parts of his poems were so bea ...more
❁ بــدريــه ❁

إليك ..

أيها الغريب
حين تمرّ بي ، وتريد أن تحدثني
لمَ لا تحدّثني ؟
ولمَ لا أحدّثك ؟
_________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

والت ويتمان شاعرًا أرضيًا ، لا تملك قصيدته أحيانًا غير أسماء
الأماكن و المدن وظواهر الطبيعة. وحتى اهتمامه بالأجرام
السماوية ليس غير تأكيد لقوانينه الأرضية :

" إن ورقة العشب ليست أقل حركة من النجوم "
_____________________________________

حياة والت ويتمان أشبه بخلاصة للحياة التي عاشها من قبله
وسيعيشها من بعده، ولد العام 1819 في لونغ آيلاند، لم تدم
دراسته طويلًا، إذ سرعان ما نراه يلتحق بالعم
Dan
Jan 21, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, my rating here is very misleading. I haven't read Leaves Of Grass. I don't even intend to read Leaves Of Grass. Not all the way through any way. It seems sort of weird to just read a big fat collection of poetry all the way through. The five star rating is for one poem, "Song of the Open Road".

I've never really appreciated poetry. I've liked song lyrics and that's poetry, but it seemed like I needed a tune to go with it. I've liked scripture which can be pretty poetic, but it seemed I n
Lauren Schumacher
Aug 05, 2013 Lauren Schumacher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When Leaves of Grass was first published, critics applauded Whitman "only that he did not burn" the "mass of stupid filth" immediately upon completion. They primarily objected to its sensual and occasionally (rather overtly) homoerotic content. Nowadays, of course, it seems entirely too mild to raise an objection on those grounds, but man, oh man, I understand the impulse to want to turn this book into kindling.

It's less like THIS...

...and more like THIS.

This weighty poetic tome has all the we
Ben Wilson
Nov 27, 2007 Ben Wilson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: democrats, republicans, flag-shitters
Recommended to Ben by: President Clinton gave this as a present to Monica Lewinsky
Shelves: neverfinished
Leaves of Grass is like reading every single instant message that I and a friend of mine ever wrote to one another over the course of the last ten years. Likely way too long, too self-serving and would have shocked the general public if they cared to read it when it was written. But nestled in there are some real, true brilliant moments.

This is after all Whitman's life work, laid bare and un-edited for the most part. What else are we to expect? He is literally singing a song of himself, which he
Araz Goran
Oct 09, 2015 Araz Goran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب, شعر

شريد الطرقات وغريب الأطوار ،ملحن الكلمات ،الماشي بين السفوح والوديان ، المقاتل ، المتطرف الغائب ،الحاضر ، قديس الروح وعربيد الجسد، المتفائل، الرفيق والسائح، الفلاح، المغامر، المنطلق نحو حياة لا حدود لها وأفق فسيح يتمدد أمامه كرحلة أبدية تنتهي من حيث تبدأ وتبدأ من حيث ينتهي، في أعماق الطبيعة وجنون الحياة وبين أجساد الفقراء والبائسين والقتال والمقاتلين ،البحر والصيادين ..

هناك حيث يسكن والت ويتمان...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

أنا شاعر الجسد، وأنا شاعر الروح
هناءات الجنة معي، وعذابات ال
Teresa
May 22, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-poesia, n-usa, e5, l-100bb
"Adeus, minha Fantasia!
Adeus, querida companheira, minha amada!
Vou, mas não sei para onde vou,
Nem qual será a minha sorte, nem se alguma vez nos voltaremos a ver,
Por isso, adeus, minha Fantasia!

Agora, a minha última vontade — deixa-me olhar para trás por um instante;
Cada vez mais lento e leve o tiquetaque do relógio dentro de mim,
Retirada, anoitecer, e em breve a surda palpitação que pára.

Convivemos, alegrámo-nos e consolámo-nos durante muito tempo;
Foi magnífico! — Agora separamo-nos — Adeus, mi
Collin
Apr 12, 2008 Collin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Holy shit this is self-important and tedious.

--update: This has sat untouched on my desk all year. I can think of a hundred books I'd rather start than finish this, so I doubt I'll pick it back up unless I run out of books to read, I'm too poor to buy any more books, all my friends turn on me and refuse to loan me anything else, and all the nearby libraries are set on fire simultaneously.
Samadrita
There's only so much rhetoric on American imperialism I can ingest and assimilate at a stretch. Later, Mr Whitman.

(paused at 47%)
Nahed.E

القراءة الأولي لـ والت وايتمان
الشاعر الأمريكي الشهير
الهادئ .. الراقي .. البسيط إلي حد التعقيد !!

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تصبح سعادتك الكبري في الاستلقاء علي العشب الأخضر والعالم يمر من فوقك لا تعبأ به ولا يعبأ بك ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تكون سعادتك في أن تتحدث مع ذاتك عن ذاتك .. وعن الآخرين بمنتهي الصدق .. فلا تعبأ بصورتك في المرآة كيف كانت ؟ ولا كيف نظروا إليك ؟ ولا كيف سيحكمون عليك في يوم ما ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تتحدث إليهم بكل صدق
شعره داعر، ومفضوح. وإباحي أحيانا
كلماته صريحة جريئة، ونداءاته تنبض بالحياة
ديوان جميل وعبقري، وترجمة سعدي يوسف أحيته
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Did you know that the letters in "Leaves of Grass" can be rearranged to spell "Asses of Gravel"?
If you find yourself anagramming the letters in the title rather than reading the poetry, it's a good sign you're not into the book. But I really wanted some of whatever Whitman was smoking that made him so ecstatically, ebulliently enthusiastic about every molecule on the planet. Including his own b.o.

"The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer than prayer."

Huh??? Was this guy sniffing glue along wit
Bryan  Jones
May 29, 2007 Bryan Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Song of Myself" is a work of pure genius comparable to Shakespeare's greatest. I love these last three stanzas especially. When my wife and I were dating long distance and when I was deployed, I would end alot of my letters with "I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love.
If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles.
You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,

But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blo
Ahmed Ibrahim
مختارات من ديوان الشاعر الأمريكي المتميز، شاعر الطبيعة، المحب لوطنه بصورة كبيرة جلية في أشعاره - والت ويتمان، ديوان ظل شاعره يكتب وينقح فيه أربعين سنة.
ويتمان ذو فلسفة مختلفة بعض الشيء، واختلف الجميع عليه، فالبعض يراه متصوفًا والبعض يراه شاذًا!
في المقدمة تحدث المترجم عن هذه النقطة ورد بأن أشعاره الجنسية تنفي عنه الاثنان.
لكن أغلب أشعاره توضح فلسفته، فهو يرى نفسه في الجميع ويرى الجميع في نفسه، فيها من الفكرة الصوفية لكن بطريقة مختلفة.. فالشاعر عندما يتحدث عن أي شخص/شيء يتحدث كأنه هو، ومثال على هذا
Yassmeen Altaif
Jun 09, 2016 Yassmeen Altaif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تعرفت على الكتاب من باب الصدفة، أبحث عن كتاب ديني ومن خلال البحث كان هذا الكتاب من المئة الكتب التي ينصح بقراءتها، أسم الكتاب آثار فضولي عن ماذا تتحدث هذه الأوراق.

وبعد البحث اكتشفت ان أوراق العشب شعر، وبدأت قراءته لأول مرة إقرأ كتاب شعري مترجم وليس قصائد عربية.

القصائد جميلة جداً، والترجمة جيدة وممتازة.
المواضيع المتناولة في الكتاب رائعة، بدأها بقصائد بهذا الكتاب مناشد المكتبات والقارئ وختمها بأغنية عن نفسه.

"أيتها الخجلى
أيتها المتدفقة بالأنوثة،
آه لو جذبتك إليّ
لأغرس فيك للمرة الأولى
شفتي رجل
Jenny Beth
Feb 26, 2009 Jenny Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pour-y-vivre
Few people know that I curl up with Song of Myself whenever i am depressed. i gave a nice boy from England my beautiful edition once as a birthday gift, so now i curl up with this dreadful Norton Anthology edition where the pages are thinner than onion skins. once i get to the end and reread some of my favorites bits i always find i am ready to rejoin the family of mankind again as tolerable, if not pleasurable, company. I think, as many do, that the affirmation and daring and greed and urgency ...more
Manny
To quote Robert Louis Stevenson:
…like a large shaggy dog just unchained scouring the beaches of the world and baying at the moon.
But let's look at the positive side. Monica Lewinsky gave a copy to Bill Clinton as a present.
Alexander
The 5-star rating is for the cream of this collection, those superb monuments of world literature such as Song of Myself, Body Electric, The Sun-Down Poem, Blue Ontario's Shores, As I Ebb'd with the Ocean of Life, Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking, When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd, The Sleepers, Fancies at Navesink, and a double-armful of the shorter lyrics.

Whitman's B-Sides, about 70% of this chunky 1892 "death bed edition," rarely come up to snuff, and despite a virtuoso flourish her
David Lentz
Jun 20, 2011 David Lentz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this timeless masterpiece simply because of the joy and wonder and sense of the miraculous in Whitman's glorious, poetic anthem to America.
Dalia
"أغني لامرئ واحد، بسيط ومتوحد
بكلمة وإن ت
Ingrid
Apr 14, 2016 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foglie d'erba è il titolo della più conosciuta raccolta di poesie del poeta e scrittore statunitense Walt Whitman.
Fu pubblicata nel 1855, in occasione del giorno dell'Indipendenza: quasi un segno propiziatorio per un'opera destinata ad essere considerata come la Bibbia democratica americana.
Non ho molto apprezzato la forma, cioè l’assenza di spaziatura tra i versi, l’assenza completa o quasi dei titoli, rendono la lettura più confusionaria. Un poema che oltre a parlare del mondo, parla soprattut
Brenda
Aug 05, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013, poetry
Todo empezó con Whitman. Yo empecé con Whitman. Él es el culpable de que hoy sea como soy, de que esté aquí y de que vaya por el camino que voy. Una vez me dijeron que si existía un verso escrito para mí, ese era: "No dejes de creer que las palabras y las poesías sí pueden cambiar el mundo". Me dijeron que no lo olvidara nunca. Que no perdiera esa esencia que me hacía creer en la literatura. Me djeron que si lo hacía, dejaría de ser yo. Quizá es muy "El club de los poetas muertos" pero desde ent ...more
Madeline
Jan 20, 2011 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Yes, I did read this because John Green told me to in Paper Towns. If I didn't have cooler people advising me what to read/watch/listen to, I'd never do anything at all.

In any case, I was pleasantly surprised at how I wanted to continue reading once I finished Song of Myself, considering that it's the only Whitman poem I was familiar with (since it's the one that's quoted in both Paper Towns and The Dead Poets Society. I liked most of the poems, although Whitman is a fan of listing things. Over
منار هانى
Jul 26, 2014 منار هانى rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: شعر

Hasan Makhzoum
Oct 28, 2016 Hasan Makhzoum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I've heard a poem by Walt Whitman was when the amazing movie (even though Roger Ebert didn't like it) "Dead Poet Society" was released, I was 12 years old.
There is a scene where Mr John Keating (RIP Robbin Williams) quotes WW to inspire his students. Of course, back than I didn't know the author of these verses.

Much later I wanted to read Whitman's poetry after watching the talented Paul Dano reciting verses from "Out of the Cradle Endlessly
Po Po
Apr 02, 2015 Po Po rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has instantly earned a spot in my top five favorite books. [It seems that most read this in high school; I did not. But I'm glad I didn't-- I'm unsure whether I would've fully appreciated it.]

This is the celebration of humanity, the world and everything in it, and immortality. It's inspirational like no other book I've ever read. This book *spoke* to me. It whispered, it cajoled, it caressed, it embraced me wholly and completely and unreservedly. If a book can be music, this is it. It sang
Marquise
Oct 09, 2016 Marquise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whitman doesn't care for rhyme and some of his verses don't "sound" quite aesthetically pleasing in my mind, but oh, does he know how to use language! Really beautiful word constructions, figures of speech and metaphors, all of which are definitely his strength and, I suspect, one of the chiefest reasons why he's as popular as he is.

I had about four favourite poems from this collection, two of which are very famous. One is the poem O Captain! My Captain!, which I've read in full for the first t
Lindsay Russo
Jun 23, 2008 Lindsay Russo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always thought it was too spacey for me... His language is so wide open and goes everywhere. But to sit and read it from cover to cover in one sitting was enlightening. Not that I didn't see Whitman in other authors before, but I see so many layers of him now. So well worth the time. I almost wish I had read it aloud.
Mohammed Youssef

هل أتتك الفرصة وصادقت الرعاع والشحاذين والصيادين والفلاحين وغيرهم ؟ , هل دخلت الحانات وبيوت الرب في آن ؟ , هل سمعت نقيق الضفادع وخرير المياه وحفيف الأوراق وأنت تقرأ ديوانه

هل تجردت من ملابسك وقيودك وحاولت الطيران معه

أحب الذين يترعرعون في البرية
الرجال الذين يعيشون بين الأنعام
أو مع طعم المحيطات والغابات
بناة السفن وقائديها
وذوي الفؤوس والمطارق
وسائقى الخيول

والت ويتمان قديس الطبيعة ولا شك , تسترجع معه ذكرياتك مع البحار والريف والحيوانات والناس وتعيش بين الخضرة وشلالات المياه

عالمه الشعري ممتع بسيط سلس
  • Howl: Original Draft Facsimile
  • Collected Poems
  • The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged
  • Illuminations
  • The Waste Land (Norton Critical Edition)
  • The Tennis Court Oath
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches
  • The Dream Songs
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

“Resist much, obey little.” 5140 likes
“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
You must travel it by yourself.
It is not far. It is within reach.
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land.”
1350 likes