Figure Drawing: Design And Invention

Figure Drawing: Design And Invention

4.69 of 5 stars 4.69  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is an instructional figure drawing book geared towards the novice and experienced artist alike. This book emphasizes a simplified understanding of surface anatomy, in order to clarify the mechanics of the figure, facilitate invention, and ultimately create a skill-set that can be successfully applied to other media. In addition, this bo...more
Published August 31st 2009 by M. Hampton

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The approach covered is primarily concerned with the use of line, development of form, and the simplified design of anatomy. It doesn't go into contour drawing, shading and expression.

The many illustrated examples are aimed at helping students develop a feel for the form and volume of figures they draw. To that aspect, I think it does a very good job.

The use of simple geometric shapes as drawing guides are simple to understand. Not only that, Michael Hampton als...more
Randall Newnham
Drawing has been a lifelong interest of mine, but until recently, I was barely able to draw much more than a stick figure. Around a year ago, I decided to seriously devote efort to learning to draw. It's a great skill to have, requires little in the way of materials and can be fun. SInce that decision, I've purchased and used about 10 books to drawing, mostly figure drawing. this was the last book on the subject I purchased, and, I am convinced, the last one I need. Hampton lays out what you nee...more
Peter Cappetto
I have a nice collection of drawing books, but "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" rates among the best. Hampton develops new material at a nice pace and explains the importance of each step. It is clear how prior steps affect the overall process of drawing a human figure. The book starts from establishing a gesture and proceeds to continue building up the figure by adding volume and adding muscles.
Rich F
I'm so impressed with this book. It provides a clear progression from gesture to detailed anatomy for people with a beginner to intermediate level of figure drawing skill.

I particularly like how Michael Hampton purposefully makes his figures blocky or round to emphasize form.
Nate B
An excellent and thorough introduction to figure drawing that I feel augmented my abilities with a greater understanding of the overall process of developing the figure.
Don
Mar 25, 2014 Don rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: drawing
A great book on the structure of drawing the human figure. I carry it with me in my backpack wherever i go
LOVE the techniques and diagrams in this book! One of the best "text books" I've ever bought!
Jedkimball
Great structural concepts for understanding the figure
Jaime
Jaime is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Erykitah Komorebi
Erykitah Komorebi marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Can Arısan
Can Arısan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Imrita
Imrita added it
Jul 16, 2014
Erin Link
Erin Link marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Naeem Ul
Naeem Ul marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Nicky
Nicky marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Michael Campagnaro
Michael Campagnaro marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Qussay
Qussay marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Hong Dang
Hong Dang marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Microscale Experiments for General Chemistry Rockclimbing: Getting Started Microscale and Macroscale Experiments for General Chemistry