Start by marking “Figure Drawing: Design And Invention” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing: Design And Invention

Figure Drawing: Design And Invention

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is an instructional figure drawing book geared towards the novice and experienced artist alike. This book emphasizes a simplified understanding of surface anatomy, in order to clarify the mechanics of the figure, facilitate invention, and ultimately create a skill-set that can be successfully applied to other media. In addition, this bo ...more
Published August 31st 2009 by M. Hampton

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Figure Drawing

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The approach covered is primarily concerned with the use of line, development of form, and the simplified design of anatomy. It doesn't go into contour drawing, shading and expression.

The many illustrated examples are aimed at helping students develop a feel for the form and volume of figures they draw. To that aspect, I think it does a very good job.

The use of simple geometric shapes as drawing guides are simple to understand. Not only that, Michael Hampton als
Randall Newnham
Drawing has been a lifelong interest of mine, but until recently, I was barely able to draw much more than a stick figure. Around a year ago, I decided to seriously devote efort to learning to draw. It's a great skill to have, requires little in the way of materials and can be fun. SInce that decision, I've purchased and used about 10 books to drawing, mostly figure drawing. this was the last book on the subject I purchased, and, I am convinced, the last one I need. Hampton lays out what you nee ...more
Kristen
Invaluable. Well worth the money.
Peter Cappetto
I have a nice collection of drawing books, but "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" rates among the best. Hampton develops new material at a nice pace and explains the importance of each step. It is clear how prior steps affect the overall process of drawing a human figure. The book starts from establishing a gesture and proceeds to continue building up the figure by adding volume and adding muscles.
Rich F
I'm so impressed with this book. It provides a clear progression from gesture to detailed anatomy for people with a beginner to intermediate level of figure drawing skill.

I particularly like how Michael Hampton purposefully makes his figures blocky or round to emphasize form.
Nate B
An excellent and thorough introduction to figure drawing that I feel augmented my abilities with a greater understanding of the overall process of developing the figure.
Don
Mar 25, 2014 Don rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: drawing
A great book on the structure of drawing the human figure. I carry it with me in my backpack wherever i go
LOVE the techniques and diagrams in this book! One of the best "text books" I've ever bought!
Jedkimball
Great structural concepts for understanding the figure
Nour Ayad
Nour Ayad marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Levi
Levi is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Ilse
Ilse marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rasta Man
Rasta Man marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Mafalda Fernandes
Mafalda Fernandes marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Julian Adoff
Julian Adoff marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Raghda Elwakil
Raghda Elwakil marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Pepijn Rietveld
Pepijn Rietveld marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Successful Drawing
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Constructive Anatomy
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
  • Sketch Book for the Artist
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • Alive Character Design: For Games, Animation and Film: For Games, Animation & Film
  • Dynamic Anatomy
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • Design (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • Oil Painting Techniques and Materials
  • The Art of Mulan
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
Microscale Experiments for General Chemistry Rockclimbing: Getting Started Microscale and Macroscale Experiments for General Chemistry