Start by marking “Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster” as Want to Read:
Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster

Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This is a richly funny and thought-provoking book of comic strips about the friendships that animate a group of forest animals. The egotistical—but also endearing and really funny—Hamster is the main character, but his affectionate friends, who love Hamster despite all his flaws, are just as fascinating. Imagine a gourmand of a hamster who keeps a diary full of irresistibl ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster

Ms. Steiger Steiger
Laugh out loud funny graphic novel.

I have had a hard time connecting with the graphic novel genre. I have found the strips to be visually overwhelming and the fonts to be difficult to read.

Which is why I loved Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster. The clean, simple drawings with nuanced changes are lovely. There was no overwhelming sense to slam the book shut that I so often feel with other books of this genre. I felt comfortable with the flow.

I was laughing out loud continually throughout the read.
Leslie
Yes, it's a children's book...but I can't think of too many adult readers who would not love this book. It's sweet and it's hilarious...I mean, laugh-out-loud hilarious. Take one self-centered hamster and add a birthday party that he's planning for himself, plus friends like a mole, a snail, a hedgehog, and a rabbit. (Oh, wait, the rabbit isn't invited...oh, well, never mind.) It'll take 20 minutes of your life just to read it through. But don't go too quickly...the illustrations are half the fu ...more
Maria Waltner
Absolutely amusing. I knew by the look of the back cover that this would be pretty funny. Hamster is selfish and egotistical and totally awesome. My favorite little vignettes are where he writes an invitation to Rabbit, star-gazes and realizes that the stars are probably gazing upon him in admiration and where he outright lies to his diary. I'm not sure what to think of Mole's novel about the worm crying tears of joy but whatever. Definitely silly and fun.
Jessica
This bizarre and hilarious and poignant little book was in the kids' section of the library, but I don't think kids would get it. Hedgehog worries that no one will love him, because he's prickly. Mole is writing a poetic and melancholy novel. And hamster? Hamster is the most self-centered being on the planet, but his friends are so innocent and well-meaning that none of them notice. Simply drawn and written, and simply hilarious.
Ingha
Bizarre graphic novel. Some were cute some were like, what??? Hamster is pretty mean!
Angela
NOT your average picture book.

Some people (of all ages) aren't going to "get" this book and that's okay, because those that do "get it" will be richly rewarded for years to come.

Short graphic novel vignettes follow a group of friends and their everyday interactions. Through the course of their conversations, the commonplace become deeply philosophical, humorous, complex, satisfying, and even rewarding.

Some families will come to cherish this book. Will it be yours?

Marianne
odd + winsome
Donalyn
This is an odd little book that is difficult to classify or explain. Told in episodic comic panels, the story follows a group of forest friends, led by the egotistical Hamster, as they learn lessons in friendship and happiness. The author's background as a philosopher and theologian clearly influenced this work, which contains deeper meaning than the words on the page. It reminded me of The Little Prince in this regard.
Sandy Brehl
Mole, snail, rabbit, and a cast of other extraordinary critters with droll personalities are the supporting cast to Hamster's grandiose imaginings. Arranged as 1-2 page scenes, the little stories accumulate leading to a charming ending that suggests more books to come.
Claudia  Fett
This graphic novel is about a selfish, yet endearing Hamster and his friends: Mole, Hedgehog, Snail, Squirrel and Rabbit. All of the animals put up with Hamster's selfishness. It is interesting to see how the other animals conduct themselves as friends. Grades K-3
Beth
Hamster is getting ready for his birthday. He even tells the guests what to bring and not to attend without a gift. His friends help to teach him about real gifts.
Emma (Miss Print)
Gave up on this one. Wasn't feeling the artwork or the writing. It was all a bit odd. The character being a hamster didn't help any.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This oversized graphic novel requires readers to grasp things at a completely different level. You'll either get it or won't.
Mangzilla
Selfish and self-absorbed Hamster has better friends (Mole, Hedgehog, Snail, Squirrel and Rabbit) than he deserves.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I think that hamster was mean about not liking people gifts in front of them. F.B.
Sandy
Cute and simple, but I didn't think it was brilliant or anything.
Hmmm . . .

I'm oddly fascinated. Hamster is a bit of a riot.
Christina
Definitely had some awesome laugh out loud moments.
Bonita
Bonita marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
J.
J. added it
May 29, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Reflections of a Solitary Hamster Edmond, The Moonlit Party Travels of an Extraordinary Hamster Edmond la fête sous la lune Les Rêveries d'un Hamster Solitaire