Is This Bottle Corked?: The Secret Life of Wine

Is This Bottle Corked?: The Secret Life of Wine

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  4 reviews
We’ve all come across those suave, confident, and all-so-knowing books that tell us precisely what to drink with which dish, how to swirl, sniff, slosh, and pronounce on our wine, and, above all, how to impress our friends and business associates with our expertise.

Well, this is not one of those books. Is This Bottle Corked? is something different: a book that poses–and an...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Clarkson Potter (first published October 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Is This Bottle Corked?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is This Bottle Corked?

Tonari
This book is quite enjoyable, its topics will surely appeal to any wine lover and could become the center of a good conversation around the table, before a bottle of wine.
Subjects vary a lot and range from wine history to wine in literature to everyday tips to curious anecdotes about wine. I liked its comprehensive nature which makes it diverse and keeps the reader attention, page after page.

The downside is that there is no order in how the topics are arranged, one chapter could introduce the re...more
Janet
How could anyone write a book as pretentious and boring about wine? If this book came up to you at a cocktail party, you would immediately excuse yourself and find someone more interesting!
Jo
Not a linear, or sequentially written book; neither does its sections read like chapters...but I'm not sure if I'd have retained the same amount of interesting tidbits, if it had been more orderly fashioned.
An interesting read. It provoked one to think about the first appearances of wine in civilizations, how we enjoy it today, some of the lost art in wine....not bad,,,
Disjointed and obscure, which may have been the point.
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Giuliana
Giuliana marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jessica Brainard
Jessica Brainard marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Tom Anderson
Tom Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Judy
Judy is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2014
Gj0nyg
Gj0nyg added it
Jan 15, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 14, 2013
Elena Odnolko
Elena Odnolko marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Oct 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Old World, New World: Great Britain and America from the Beginning Troublemaker: The Life and History of A.J.P Taylor The United States and the European Alliance since 1945 The British Isles Since 1945 War and the State (Rle the First World War): The Transformation of British Government, 1914-1919