Start by marking “Mythology The Illustrated Anthology Of World Myth And Storytelling” as Want to Read:
Mythology The Illustrated Anthology Of World Myth And Storytelling

Mythology The Illustrated Anthology Of World Myth And Storytelling

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Myths are the timeless expression of the imagination born out of the need to make sense of the universe. Moving across the centuries, they resonate with our deepest feelings about the fragility and grandeur of existence. Mythology is a comprehensive, richly illustrated survey of the mythic imagination in all its forms around the world, from the odysseys, quests and battles ...more
Published January 1st 2002

Be the first to ask a question about Mythology The Illustrated Anthology Of World Myth And Storytelling

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a basic reference book on mythology
An extensive, but definitely not intensive illustrated anthology of World mythology, this is a good, basic introduction, although if you want or require details, this might not necessarily be the book for you. For me personally, although I found the information presented interesting, I also found the sections rather frustrating, as there was never enough detail presented to satisfy me (I would have gladly sacrificed some of the many illustrations, photographs etc. for more historical information ...more
Tlaloc
Oct 16, 2010 Tlaloc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why e-books will never replace physical literature: there's nothing quite like opening a big, heavy book and poring over the pages to find exactly what you're searching for.

And if you're searching for world mythology, this is the book for you.
Taylor Reece
Apr 01, 2015 Taylor Reece rated it it was amazing
I am doing a project on parallel myths about sky gods, heaven myths, and celestial bodies and it was so helpful!
Alfredo
Jul 23, 2016 Alfredo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I read this over the Christmas holidays back in 2005 and it jump started my love of ancient history. This is the kind of book you could pickup and read with a cup of coffee on a cold winter day, relaxing with a series of short stories of ancient mythology.

It's a general information book, but I keep it on my bookshelf along with the more detailed books I have on ancient Greek, Near Eastern and Egyptian culture.
Vellyslav Petrov
Jan 06, 2015 Vellyslav Petrov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love audio- and e-books, still we need the good old hard copy in most visual/ art research cases.
It's not James George Frazer's black magic science, yet it's a great book, great style - even my 1-year old son started to love it ;-)
Delicious Strawberry
It's impossible to fit every myth from every part of the world into one book, but the editors did an admirable job in collecting various myths and organizing them in this book. The myths are concise and the book is easy to read due to its excellent organization and its lovely pictures. For anyone wishing to learn about world mythology or just one country's tales, this is a wonderful introduction. This book has a treasured place on my bookshelf, and for good reason.
Trish
Mar 30, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I did not finish it. it's huge and at the moment I needed the Norse and Mesoamerican myths. I intend to check it out again and read the other sections.
Mel
Feb 10, 2012 Mel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, mythology
An excellent volume although I would have liked a bit more on Celtic Mythology, I felt that section was a bit short compared with the others and most of it was from an Irish perspective. A bit more balance would have been nice but there again that's just my personal preference.
Carson G.
Mar 22, 2010 Carson G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will give you information on nearly any mythology. Ithas all of the major gods and stories of them. It will last you a very long time since it is over six-hundred pages. It doesn't show much about a lot of minor gods, but is still a very solid anthology.
Brenna
Jan 04, 2011 Brenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, reference
This is not only a wonderful reference work on world mythology, it is also an interesting and entertaining read. The gods and godesses of ancient mythology were more scandalous than anyone who appears on modern tabloids.
Minna
This book is part of my reference library, I haven't really read it from cover to cover. I bought it on sale and find is useful from time to time even if I do find most of my encyclopedias online these days.
D. Rae
Oct 01, 2013 D. Rae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I got as far as the Celtic myths. Can you imagine a history of Celtic mythology and no mention of The Green Man? I was shocked! After that egregious omission, I couldn't read any further.
Christopher
Aug 06, 2012 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A good informative book. Having all cultures and their beliefs in one book. It's great to open a thick and heavy book such as this and pour yourself into the past!
Theresa
May 31, 2016 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Mythology: The Illustrated Anthology of World Myth and Storytelling
Littleton, C. Scott
various cultures detailed information
Kurt Koller
More a browsing book than a read-through book. Number of nice vignettes. Used to research for my Ferryman novel.
Leah Michelle
This counts as one book. I could not find the green book we read in class, so I marked this one.
Airi
Nov 26, 2010 Airi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much all the major mythology of the world, in a convenient 500+ page format. :D
Jenn
Feb 15, 2009 Jenn marked it as constantly-reading  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
purchased several years ago and needs to be read
Julie Anne
Aug 07, 2012 Julie Anne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Egyptian, more Greek, and more
Marissa Makor
Marissa Makor is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Jul 22, 2016
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Candra Krisch
Candra Krisch rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Christiane
Christiane marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jean Maria
Jean Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
patrick grogan
patrick grogan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • The Illustrated Book of Myths
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • The Oxford Companion to World Mythology
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Parallel Myths
  • Secrets of Angels & Demons
  • Eric Carle's Dragons, Dragons
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology